Pumpkin Ale - AleWerks Brewing Company

Virginia, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: on 09-19-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 457 | Reviews: 128

Such a awesome pumpkin beer!
Taste like pumpkin pie in a glass, all pumpkin beer should taste like this. A very well balanced beer and alcohol content is hidden very well.
I've tried about 12 different pumpkin beers and this one is top notch!
If you see this at a store near you pick up some you won't regret it.
Perfect for every fall day, or thanksgiving dinner.

Amazing pumpkin beer. Everything about it is just right. Continues to be my favorite.

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

A: Minimal lacing and carbonation. That isn't necessarily bad however. Very inviting orangish-copper color.

S: Smells like pumpkin pie with cinnamon.

T: The first few sips are a lightly spiced beer that develops into a complex pumpkin flavor as the pint empties. A true joy to taste this one.

M: Low carbonation but it really adds to the flavor.

D: I tried this straight out of the fermenter when I stopped by the brewery. I immediately bought a case off of them as soon as it was bottled.

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Schlafly's pumkin ale IS NOWHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS THIS ONE. It's that damn good. There is NONE of the raw pumpkin taste that's found in other pumpkin ales. I have personally never had that from any other pumpkin ale.

Personally, this is one of the best ales I'VE EVER HAD regardless of style, and I consumed so much of it that people started calling me "The Pumpkin Head."

Here goes:

A: Beautiful orange and amber with a great amount of carbonation and a head that dissipates quickly. Very clear as well - see-through, in fact.

S: Wow, breathtaking. Smells of cinnamon, brown sugar, caramel, pumpkin pie, pumpkin spices, molasses etc. In fact, it smells exactly like a pumpkin pie. Since I love pumpkin pie, I can't get enough of this beer's smell.

T: PERFECT, but must be consumed either warm or at cellar temperature for maximum flavor. The taste follows the nose, and it's exactly like a pumpkin pie. Tons of cinnamon goodness mixed with pumpkin and brown sugar. I've never tasted a beer that this closely approximated a pumpkin pie.

M: Again, beautiful. A rich thickness with lots of brown sugar and molasses.

O: You must try this beer. It's absolutely stunning if you have it at the right temperature.

4.84/5  rDev +15.8%

I was out with a couple of friends in the park and we purchased a six-pack of this (with solo cups) from an upscale corner store that recently opened by Lincoln Park. We all really liked this, and it went perfectly with an early fall day and bocce ball. As a beer, it was very nice, medium body, not too much head but very pleasant. We purchased it for the pumpkin flavor though, and on that count it was the best I've had. The smell and flavor of pumpkin and spices was just right, definitely there, but not completely overwhelming the beer. It also did not have the artificial taste. If you are a fan of this flavor, and not everyone is, then grab a six pack of this and you won't be dissapointed.

4.77/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

By far one of the best pumpkin beers I've had.

I opened the bottle expecting a good pumpkin beer, and then the smell hit me and I knew I was going to be blown away. It smells exactly like a good, fresh, sweet pumpkin pie. There is an abundance of pumpkin, caramelized sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon on the nose. You could blindfold me, hold it in front of my nose, tell me that there is a fresh slice of pumpkin pie in front of me, and I would believe you.

The flavor is amazing. It is rich in pumpkin and the traditional spices you taste is a slice of pumpkin pie. There is also a little malt profile similar to that of an amber or brown ale, and a nice level of carbonation. It is as if someone blended a pumpkin pie with a really good brown ale, filtered it, and bottled it.

Totally blown away from this beer, and I want more.

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

Lots of nutmeg and fresh pumpkin. Great out of the little brewery in Williamsburg

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

This lightly carbonated pumpkin ale pours to leave a nice thick ring of head about 1 finger deep. The aromas smell like a true pumpkin beer should smell like - not a pie or air freshener. You can smell the brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, baked apples and loads of pumpkin - almost like a pumpkin meat pie. I tasted cinnamon and brown sugar first. Its heavy sweetness puts the melting pot of spices in the right place. This is a beer to be enjoyed on a cold November evening. It is very balanced and goes down extremely smooth. It has a spicy aftertaste that leaves a smooth but sweet taste in your mouth. Many pumpkin beers are unbalanced - either too sweet or too spicy. This one is just right. Pumking is just a prince to this ale. Grab it when you find it if you like pumpkin ale. A 6 pack of bottles goes down very easy. Case is only $44.

4.74/5  rDev +13.4%

Presentation: 12 oz. brown bottle, batch # 091009, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear deep amber, carbonation bubbles rising inside. The head formed small and faded into a thin layer. Love the color.

Aroma: Pumpkin dominates with cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar in the background. Excellent.

Taste: Sweet caramel malts up front almost immediately give way to the pumpkin and spices. The finish is sweet pumpkin pie flavors, lingering nicely.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, smooth and creamy. The carbonation balances well.

Overall: One of the best pumpkin beers I've had to date. If you're a fan of this style, be sure to seek this one out.

4.73/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

I LOVE THIS BEER. I was in phonexville at the end of fall last year and happened to walk into a bar that had it on tap. I have had ALOT of pumpkins beers, this is by far my favorite. I live in philly and am excited for the fall, mainly because of this beer, I hope that it finds me again, as I continue to search for it.

4.71/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Williamsburg AleWerks - Pumpkin Ale, poured into a Craftgeer snifter.

Look - Pours a hazy amber ruby with a barely noticeable head, some lace.

Smell - Yes!! This literally smells like a full bodied pumpkin pie! Not overly sweet or fake or half-assed, but like liquid pumpkin pie without having too much spice. Perfect.

Taste - This is amazing! Zippy ale with creamy pumpkin pie body, spice is more prominent here but still not overdone.

Mouthfeel - Medium body wit high carbonation. A hint of booziness and heat from spice but done just right. Great drinkability.

Overall - Best pumpkin beer I have had so far.

4.67/5  rDev +11.7%

I've heard a lot of good buzz about this one from many of my beer friends. Some say it's even better than Schlafly's, so... I'm doing a comparison tasting and drinking a Schlafly at the same time. Here goes:

A: Pours pretty thick, with a slight bubbly head that quickly withers away to nothing, and a beautiful dark dark orange-red (almost bronze) color. The carbonation is moderate.

S: Deep smell of pumpkin. And I mean HUGE! All the standard spices are there (nutmeg, brown sugar, etc.), but the smell of the actually gourd is prominent.

T: Much sweeter than Schlafly and not as much pumpkin "roast" overall. I really love the crispness. The spices are a little more muted than the Schlafly, and the sweetness is a bit more "tart."

M: Really good. Nothing offensive about the sugar content. It feels exactly the way it should for this style.

D: Since I love pumpkin ales and the harvest time of year in general, I'll drink this again. Definitely in the top 5 pumpkin ales available!

UPDATED REVIEW! The 2011 version is much better than Schlafly's (the local phenomenon). It's richer, creamier, and more pumpkin-like.

Honestly, I couldn't imagine a better pumpkin ale.

4.6/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Deep apricot pour, half inch of tawny head dissipates quickly, minimal lacing, carbonation not visible but present.

Aroma is like pumpkin pie with the sweet crust, pumpkin spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg,vanilla.

Taste mirrors the aroma, and it takes a few sips to fully realize the fine balance and fusion of flavors. Simply delicious, slightly sweet but not cloying.

Mouthfeel is light to medium, low level of carbonation seems suited for the flavors.

I feel I might have been spoiled here: this trade extra is my first pumpkin ale, and from what I have seen, it has the highest rating amongst the pumpkin ale offerings. Any reservations I had about enjoying a pumpkin ale have been annihilated by this incredible brew, but how does it get better than this? If you can get you hands on this one, do not pass it by or cast doubts on how enjoyable a pumpkin ale can be, this is a winner.

4.59/5  rDev +9.8%

Managed to get a case yesterday of one of my favorite beers. It's a little early weatherwise for pumpkin brews but I can't pass up the chance to drink a beer bottled just 3 days ago!

A: Little to no head and no lacing. Orange/amber color, fairly clear.

S: Smell is fantastic. I don't get a "beer" smell, but simply a plethora of spices- nutmeg and cinnamon most prominently. The spices hit much stronger than the pumpkin but the pumpkin is definitely there. I don't believe I've ever encountered a pumpkin pie that smelled as amzing as this.

T: Just as with the smell, the spices hit you more than the pumpkin notes. This beer is very, very sweet and malty. I can't detect any hops. I taste sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg with the perfect dash of pumpkin. Although it's over 8% I don't taste any alcohol.

M: Not much carbonation. This beer is a touch thinner than I would expect. The amazing spice taste lingers in your mouth.

O: This is a fantastic spiced beer with a dash of pumpkin. At the moment it is easily my favorite representation of the style.

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

Thought there have been limited reviews, I've been very eager to try this brew... It's the last of my "new" pumpkin beers for the season and I come in with some lofty expectations... Here we go...

A - A very slight head quickly fizzes away leaving no discernable lacing... Loads of moderate to fast paced carbonation rises throughout and hit the top very hard... A very deep dark copper color with an orange hue... Remarkably translucent given its dark color...

S - An absolutely terrific aroma... Brown sugar and caramel dominate... Maple syrup... The traditional pumpkin and spice aroma are still present but they take a back sweet to the overall sinful sweetness... A very slight hint of booziness... Some faint woody characteristics could also be detected...

T - The best word to describe this brew is "yummy..." Again the general sweetness is the first thing detected... Caramel... Brown sugar... Cinnamon buns... Raisins... Deathly sweet pumpkin pie... The spiciness, namely cinnamon, is quite subdued but adds a terrific bit of character and balance... Wonderful layers of richness and complexity...

M - Medium bodied... Slightly sticky... A minimal but impactful carbonated bite... Rich... Complex... Hearty... Smooth...

D - There is no doubt about it... This is quite simply, hands down, the most perfect Pumpkin Ale that has ever crossed my lips... A truly epic introduction to a brewery that I had never heard of... I wish this weren't a seasonal... I would gladly drink this each and every chance I got... This is not just one of the best Pumpkin Ales that I've ever had, it's one of the best beers that I've ever had...

4.56/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Recieved in a trade from csbinva along with a fitting Alewerks pint glass, thanks again man!

Deep murky orange amber color with a small off white head up top that fades fast. Moderate legs and overall kinda mysterious and rich looking.

Wow, thats a shit load of cinnamon and nutmeg in the nose along with pumpkin spice, brown sugar, and booze. I currently have a homebrew pumpkin that smells nearly exact to this! Very spicy brew here, with minimal hops in the mix.

All those spices rush in on the palate like a tribe in assault mode. Starts off big cinnamon and pumpkin spice, warps into a caramel malt sweet, and finishes mildly drying with a hint of nutmeg. This, along with Good Gourd from CCB are probably the best pumpkin beers I have had to date.

4.54/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from bottle into my Chimay goblet

Appearance- Very cloudy orange/red. Very thin head that goes away right away.

Smell- Just like fall! I get apples and just a hint of pumpkin spices.

Taste- The most complex pumpkin beer I've ever had. Just like the nose, only way more pumpkin spices. Fantastic!

Mouthfeel- Perfect for the style. Not syruppy, and certainly not thin. Coats your mouth in all the right places.

Overall- One of the best in the class. I wish I lived by this brewery, cause I would live there in the Fall.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

A- Poured clear gold/amber with two fingers of foamy, pure white head. Little retention and zero lacing.

S- Cinnamon, allspice and bready malt erupt from the bottle, I haven’t even poured yet! Very complex just like a pumpkin pie and my mouth is watering for same.

T- Bready malt came through first, which I wasn’t really expecting. Nutmeg or cinnamon was the expectation. Than it all comes together, caramel, malt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and clove. This is the stuff a GREAT pumpkin (pun intended) beer is made of.

M- Feel is thin (surprised again) with medium carbonation. But I like the fact it doesn’t sit in my gut like a rock. The finish is clean, a perfect balance of all the tastes you’d expect from grandma’s pie.

O- Wildly impressed. I might even go back to Philly where I know I can get more of this.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance is a golden brown brew with almost no head, neither clear nor cloudy. That first whiff spoke of spices normally associated with pumpkins, mainly cinnamon and nutmeg with a touch of ginger, mixed with a definite pumpkin note. Taste was true to smell, pumpkin and spices. I did not detect on avert alcohol taste like i expect an 8% abv beer to have. Mouthfeel is light, not heavy and syrupy like i was expecting.

Overall, i have to say that this is what i expect a pumpkin ale to be like, light with tastes of the fall season. This beer is not only good, but it fits the type perfectly.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

This is probably the best they brew

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Holy shit! What a surprise this brew was! I love when this happens. Stumbling upon this brew makes me realize that I don't have to resort to Pumking as much for a solid pumpkin brew. This beer poured out with a nice amberish orange color with a light fizzy white head on top. There's really no lacing or anything but still looks pretty nice. The smell of this beer had some really nice autumn aromas and spice going on in it. The taste is unreal! I couldn't believe how good this tastes, the flavors even get better as it warms up. Plenty of sweet spices on tongue with a nice caramel in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is really nice also. Overall I can't believe how solid this beer is. It will be one I'll be on the look out for in the future for sure. I'll be lookin for more before this season is up! Really gotta try this one!

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured into a British Pint...

A: Pours a semi-hazy, sunset orange color. About a half finger of bubbly eggshell head forms and lingers for the duration. Sticky lacing provides a moderate coating on the sides of the glass. This is better color depth and head retention than I am used to from the pumpkin ales. Excellent.

S: Mmmmm...the pumpkin really shines here. I get plenty of the raw stuff, along with an assertive dose of allspice, cinnamon, and some clove. Fan-freakin-tastic. I enjoy the fact that this beer has enough raw pumpkin nose to balance with the pie spices. Can't wait to get into this one.

T: Man, the good times keep on rolling. This is a hearty beer, relatively thick and with a very strong malt presence. The pie spices work well to give a mild, sweet finish and balance off the bitter malt and roasted pumpkin. Top-notch balance is the best I've seen in the style as the pumpkin, pie spice, and malt build are all showcased masterfully. Well done.

M: The aforementioned balance is perfect. Carbonation is just right for the style. Excellent.

O: I've heard Williamsburg Alewerks has been producing great beers for some time, and this is definitely one of them. Easily the best Pumpkin Ale I have had, as this delectable brew allows the three great components to all shine in stride: pumpkin, pumpkin pie, and BEER. Too many beers of this ilk tend to shade towards sweet, sticky dessert types, losing many of the raw pumpkin and beer qualities. Not this one. It's thick, viscous, and perfectly balanced. Outstanding achievement.

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

a: piraat snifter, pours a deep amber-orange color, capped with a nice little off-white head that settles to a healthy ring around the glass

s: great caramel and brown sugar malt base holds up a carefully spiced pumpkin pie concoction, rich and highly aromatic, big on the nutmeg with plenty of meaty, buttery squashlike aromas, clove spiced cookies, promising start

m: carbonation on the light end and smooth, body on the full side of medium, satisfying

t: the malty "beer side" is in great harmony with the "pie side", brown sugar malts carry thoughtfully used pie spice, with meaty, roasted pumpkin pushing through after the swallow - that flavor is more striking here than in any other, sugary squash flavors linger, complex, fantastic and pretty much flawless

d: puts my old NC brewed favorites to shame, chances of another sixer purchase are high as this is one I'd like a couple of at a time, recommended

sixer from Norm's, Vienna, VA

4.46/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a very clear gold with little white head. The appearance is probably to least amazing part of this beer.

The smell is of cinnamon and nutmeg. Pure pumpkin pie.

The taste tastes straight like a pumpkin cookie. A slight bitterness on the front from hops or spice I cant really tell. The back is equally amazing with tons of spice and a nice pumpkin pie crust.

I will go and say this is probably the best pumpkin beer I have had to date and this year I've been trying as many as I can get my hands on.

4.44/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to HeadyHops81 for the bottle!

Appearance: Completely opaque deep amber/caramel with no head despite a vigorous pour.

Aroma: Rich pumpkin pie aroma. All the usual spices and a nice graham cracker character as well.

Taste: This might be the epitome of real pumpkin pie taste from a beer. A really robust flavor that hits all the right notes. The whole time there is a rich, but subtle, pie crust flavor that balances out all the spices nicely and doesn't mask the actual pumpkin flavor. Instead of being a mashup of flavors, you can actually taste all the different elements and the finish leaves you feeling as though you have just had a bite of pumpkin pie. It's also not overly sweet so it would probably pair great with a holiday meal. It'd also easily serve as or with a dessert. Don't taste any of the 8% ABV.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and between medium and full in body. Above average drinkability.

Final Thoughts: I've had/reviewed many pumpkin beers this fall and this is probably my favorite. Unlike others it balances the flavors superbly and delivers a true pumpkin pie experience. If that's what you're looking for then this is the beer for you. Would I drink it again? Yes.

Pumpkin Ale from AleWerks Brewing Company