Pumpkin Ale - AleWerks Brewing Company

Virginia, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: on 09-19-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle poured into a Harpoon IPA strange

A: Dark amber, with a 1 finger head that goes away pretty quickly, small little bubbles

S: Sweet pumpkin pie, cinnamon, nutmeg, and slight biscuit

T: Comes across like the smell, lots of sweetness from the pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

M: This is a full bodied beer. The sweet taste does not make it cloyingly of the top and some good balance from the malt at the end.

This is what a pumpkin beer should taste like. It hits all the right notes and tastes like pumpkin pie without over doing it. (550 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A-nice orange amber color with a one finger off-white head and no lacing

S-caramel malt, pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon, brown sugar

T-pumpkin, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, caramel malt, light bitter finish

F-medium body with light to moderate carbonation, smooth

O-great balance of spice and pumpkin flavor in this beer, really enjoyable and is one of my favorite pumpkin ales (388 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle > Pint Glass

A - Pours out a beautiful clear dark orange/amber color, 1 finger of fizzy head, little lacing.
S -Wow, this is awesome, one of the most prominent if not the most, pumpkin aroma's ive smelled in a pumpkin beer. Fresh big pumpkin aroma, like a pie right out of the oven, sweet caramel malt, cinnamon, a little nutmeg, not too much spice. The aroma is big on sweetness, which I welcome gladly in any pumpkin beer.
T - The pumpkin flavor and sweetness is incredible, you get the cinnamon and nutmeg up front, but it goes to an outburst of pumpkin pie flavor mid to end. Its not overwhelming at all, but just perfect. This is not a spice beer, this is the way a pumpkin beer should taste. This also end on a roasted pumpkin flavor, and lets the sweetness fade away.
M - Creamy and rich, excellent mouthfeel and aftertaste, the 8% is slightly felt in this one.
O - Pumpking looks like a joke compared to this, I had heard good things and was expecting a good pumpkin beer, but this takes gold this year for me, I'm glad I got to score a bottle of this. AleWerks is something to keep an eye on, they're brewing solid beers. Not crazy styles or new things, but a perfect example of what its style should be. Get some.

EDIT: Having this right now with Schlafly, and they're both outstanding. This is more sweet upfront and then roasted on the end, but they're both outstanding brews. (1,400 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -25.5%

A: Pours dark amber (the color of dark maple syrup), clear as they come, but with a very anemic head that faded quickly, and no lacing whatsoever.

S: Super heavy on the spices -- allspice, cinnamon, and a little ginger dominate -- with a little vegetable smell that I can imagine is pumpkin.

T: Initially sweet. I mean, REALLY sweet. As in, I can't believe they reached this level with malted grain alone (a liberal addition of Belgian candi sugar is high on my list of suspects). Then the spices hit, and they hit hard and linger to the end. There are other flavors in the mix (some faint grain notes, pumpkin for sure, and the obligatory hops), but they are all drowned out by the spices. Indeed, the bitter hops in the finish didn't balance the sweet malt, it just accentuated the spices in a harsh way.

M: Initially moist, then crisper and drier toward the finish. The high ABV is well hidden (but you could hide just about anything with the level of spice they used!)

O: If you read my other reviews, you'll soon find that I like my beers to be balanced in terms of flavors. There is no balance here at all -- it's all sugar and spice (and nothing else nice). Drinkable once, but there are far better pumpkin ales to be had. (1,233 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

By far one of the best pumpkin beers I've had.

I opened the bottle expecting a good pumpkin beer, and then the smell hit me and I knew I was going to be blown away. It smells exactly like a good, fresh, sweet pumpkin pie. There is an abundance of pumpkin, caramelized sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon on the nose. You could blindfold me, hold it in front of my nose, tell me that there is a fresh slice of pumpkin pie in front of me, and I would believe you.

The flavor is amazing. It is rich in pumpkin and the traditional spices you taste is a slice of pumpkin pie. There is also a little malt profile similar to that of an amber or brown ale, and a nice level of carbonation. It is as if someone blended a pumpkin pie with a really good brown ale, filtered it, and bottled it.

Totally blown away from this beer, and I want more. (829 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

I LOVE THIS BEER. I was in phonexville at the end of fall last year and happened to walk into a bar that had it on tap. I have had ALOT of pumpkins beers, this is by far my favorite. I live in philly and am excited for the fall, mainly because of this beer, I hope that it finds me again, as I continue to search for it. (320 characters)

Someone gave me this as an extra and I forgot who it was... My apologies, but thank you to whomever you may have been. Drinking a pumpkin ale in April doesn't seem so out of place when it's still only 37 degrees outside... Thanks, Michigan. This one pours a muddled copper, barely letting any light through. The off-white head grows to about an inch before settling quickly to a mere skin atop the brew.

Aromatics for pumpkin ales tend to get a little repetitive at times since they almost all essentially contain the same spices and ingredients. This brew has a bit of the normal things you'd expect - nutmeg, cinnamon, and some bready and caramel malts to tie it all together, giving that "pumpkin pie" feel to it. This one, however, contains a slight apple spice aroma to it, along with a a decent amount of leafy hops, slightly segregating it from the rest of the somewhat tiresome pumpkin ales out there. Nothing is really too overpowering, either - nice mix of all components.

The first sip leans heaviest towards nutmeg with a secondary nod to cinnamon, yet neither of them overshadow the other. Hops are present, just like they were in the aroma, giving a slight bitterness up front that fades over time. There's a delicate sweetness that hits almost immediately, reminding me more and more of apples. A dash of ginger makes its way in and molds with the bread and cookie-like malts to radiate a solid "gingerbread spice holiday" vibe. The finish contains a little bit of caramel with a solid nutmeg and cinnamon spice combination still resonating enough to be relevant. I love how the maltiness gives a graham cracker and cookie feel. Very festive. Medium bodied, medium carbonation, lightly creamy mouth feel.

Overall, very nice pumpkin ale, even though they typically aren't my "thing". Good addition of spices to remain strong but not too fatiguing. Malts play a huge role in providing a biscuit, cookie, and shortbread type of flavor profile. Certainly one of the best pumpkin ales I've had. (2,007 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -43.7%

Crystal clear copper colored beer. Little to no head. No lacing.

Heavy spice in the aroma. Cloves and allspice. It's hard to pick up anything else. Maybe a little sweet malt in the background.

Heavy cinnamon in the flavor. Hard to get past all the spice flavor.

Decent medium bodied mouthfeel. Fizzy carbonation. Clean finish.

Slightly below average pumpkin ale. (366 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours a lovely light pumpkin color.

Smells very sweet, more pumpkin than spice in the nose which is encouraging.

Lots of real pumpkin flavor, very sweet, there's subtle spice but it doesn't dominate or distract. This is exactly how I want pumpkin beers to taste.

Great beer, one of the best pumpkin ales I've had, one of the few I would buy to drink repeatedly if I had access to it.

8.4/10 (394 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

The body was an autumn-esque clear burnt orange. The head had a tan hue and lacing cascaded through the whole glass.

The aroma has a heavy dose of nutmeg up front. The pumpkin scent is that of real pumpkin, not a pumpkin spice.

The real pumpkin flavor carries into the flavor along with nutmeg, cinnamon, and carmalized sugar.

Slightly dry mouthfeel with good carbonation.

It's a really good pumpkin beer. It does have a good dose of spices yet still keeps a good sweet balance to it. (492 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Dark amber with a minimal head and some rising bubbles.

Smell - Smells a lot like pumpkin pie, well the beer version of it. Not overly sweet smelling, but there is some sweetness.

Taste - Tastes of honey, pumpkin, nutmeg, caramel with a roasted taste lingering throughout.

Mouthfeel - Smooth at first, with some carbonation, though not much. The end of the taste is somewhat bitter and makes my mouth a little dry. The taste that lingers is burnt/caramel in flavor.

Overall it's probably my favorite pumpkin beer of this season. (547 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Got this as an extra from BC4MFRED1. Much appreciated.

Pours a rich copper color with a finger and a half of cream colored head. The abv sucked this one down pretty quick and left me with no evidence that a head ever existed. It did though... I swear.

The aroma is rich with pumpkin pie notes, cinnamon, all spice and a touch of vanilla.

The taste follows the nose. Spice forward with all of the pumpkin pie fixings mixed in. They might as well label this beer as liquid pumpkin pie. Catching quite a bit of heat on the back end of this... tongue is getting a little numb after each sip and that's how I like it!

Medium in body with a touch too much carbonation. It doesn't come close to ruining this beer but it is worth mentioning.

Overall, this was an excellent pumpkin beer and an even more excellent extra in an already awesome trade. Should have saved this for Thanksgiving but I'm not sorry I drank it. Cheers! (924 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

[Poured into a generic straight beer glass]

I: Thanks to beer advocate user, zackcamp for this brew. I haven't been entirely impressed with pumpkin ales I've come across from the west, but knew that the east had some highly regarded beers within the style. Perhaps AleWerks Pumpkin Ale with satisfy my palate.

B: [8.00% ABV 12 FL. OZ. Bottled 2012?] At first glance it looks generic because of it's subtlety, but it gets the point across. Label has a orange background with Pumpkin artwork upfront with the title,"Pumpkin Ale" in bold text right below. No back story, but it has a brief description below the title that states,"Ale Brewed With Roasted Pumpkin And Spices". Brewery logo is placed at the bottom with location placed right beside. ABV is missing, but I suspect that this was part of a six pack. Shelving with be determine by the taste.

A: A hazy dark copper/amber body with hardly any transparency, small white/semi creamy head (moderate to fast dissipation), and decent lacing.

S: Bread malt, pumpkin spice/crust, earthy, cinnamon and nut meg. Nothing bold, but more balanced.

T: Earthy hops throughout, nut meg, pumpkin spice followed by bread malt. Nice balance.

M: Slick/dry finish, medium body, moderate carbonation, and apparent alcohol(masked for the most part).

O: This was pretty good. With good balance, the flavor and mouth are very satisfying. This is going on my top list for pumpkin ales so far. My only gripe is that the aroma could be more pungent. I would recommend and buy a six pack of this stuff. Savor Great Beer!!! (1,563 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -0.7%

a solid pumpkin ale for the fall season, this beer poured with a very minimal head (.5 inch) and had a very smooth sweet taste to it. The robust spices and flavor had very little bite and tasted like a bit of heaven to me. I thouroughly enjoyed it and would highly recommend it, especially for being a virginia beer. (316 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to HeadyHops81 for the bottle!

Appearance: Completely opaque deep amber/caramel with no head despite a vigorous pour.

Aroma: Rich pumpkin pie aroma. All the usual spices and a nice graham cracker character as well.

Taste: This might be the epitome of real pumpkin pie taste from a beer. A really robust flavor that hits all the right notes. The whole time there is a rich, but subtle, pie crust flavor that balances out all the spices nicely and doesn't mask the actual pumpkin flavor. Instead of being a mashup of flavors, you can actually taste all the different elements and the finish leaves you feeling as though you have just had a bite of pumpkin pie. It's also not overly sweet so it would probably pair great with a holiday meal. It'd also easily serve as or with a dessert. Don't taste any of the 8% ABV.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and between medium and full in body. Above average drinkability.

Final Thoughts: I've had/reviewed many pumpkin beers this fall and this is probably my favorite. Unlike others it balances the flavors superbly and delivers a true pumpkin pie experience. If that's what you're looking for then this is the beer for you. Would I drink it again? Yes. (1,191 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -3.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint.
7.3% ABV, Batch Code 9 210 12.

Thanks to both Chaney for sending another pumpkin beer my way!

A - Dark amber with orange highlights, the beer pours a touch cloudy with a low off-white head with great retention. Thin, watery lace clings to the pint in broken fingers and dots.

S - Hoppier than most pumpkin beers, this aroma packs an earthy punch from Fuggle hops; grass clippings, dried leaves, and wood shavings overtake the pumpkin tones. Rich caramel and sweet Munich malt with lightly burnt toast are also stronger than the hints of roasted pumpkin and dashes of nutmeg and cinnamon. A swirl brings out more of the pie notes for a less passive fall nose.

T - Very strong roasted pumpkin and spice in the flavor really ups the ante for this beer, shying away from it's bold earthy aromas. Lots of nutmeg and cinnamon are dashed in with brown sugar sweetness and a pie crust-like backing of crumbly graham cracker and toasted amber with a caramel drizzle. Williamsburg Alewerks' Pumpkin ale has a very nice, rich flavor that finishes with a dry, earthy bite from the hops.

M - Soft and smooth the full body and spicy entry follows through to the finish with mild lingering dry bitterness from the Fuggle hops. This pie-like beer is quite sweet with a lasting impression of brown sugar.

O - A bit on the richer side of the pumpkin beer spectrum, Williamsburg Alewerks' Pumpkin Ale combats the notion pumpkin beers abandon the "beer" characteristics for a pie-like flavor with its hoppy earthy aroma and rich malt profile. The pumpkin is there but it takes some warming up for this stronger sipper to open up fully. (1,677 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours an orangish amber with hardly any head at all, just a little off white.

Smell: Pumpkin and some mild pie spice. A bit bready and somewhat sweet.

Taste: Sweet malt with some pumpkin and mild spice. There is a bitterness that shows up during each sip and lingers until the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with aggressive and smooth carbonation and a mildly dry finish.

Overall: I enjoyed this beer, but the bitter finish could have been a little bit milder. Pretty good and I would have another.

Serving type: bottle (586 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured in a pint glass.

A- rigorous pour produces only a thin ring of fizzy head that reduces to nothing. Amber in color and clear, looks like apple cider.

S- right off I notice that I can actually smell real pumpkin, which is a welcomed change that most don't produce. Beyond the raw pumpkin, I pick up cinnamon stick, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, and a bit of cola. If you could capture the smell of fall in a beer, this is it.

T- sweet malt, highlighted by fresh cinnamon stick with a bit of nutmeg. finishes dry with a cinnamon spice pumpkin flavor unlike anything I've had in a pumpkin beer. It has a warming finish that complements the spices perfectly while hiding the high alcohol content.

M- medium body, low carbonation, the zero head from the pour leads it to finish a bit slick.

O- wow, this was a great pumpkin ale, the best I've had thus far. The pumpkin and cinnamon flavors didn't taste artificial, which is what sets this apart from others. The finish and linger was so refreshing, this one is a must try. (1,027 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -8%

A: The beer is a hazy dark shade of brown, with a very light red hue to it. There isn't much of a head to speak of, and it goes away very fast. It leaves almost no lacing on the glass. It leaves much to be desired in the visual department.

S: It has a very light caramel scent to it, and some faint spice notes...mostly cinnamon and the others I can't quite pick out. Pretty standard affair for a beer like this.

T: The taste of this beer is fantastic. It has a great mellow flavor, with a very pronounced pumpkin flavor. The spices are dead on. I can't articulate well enough how good it is. I wouldn't say it's 5.0 perfect, but it is right on the fence.

M: The mouthfeel is pretty good. It seems to have a very light bitterness which is nice. It's not quite as full or present in the mouth as I'd like, but it is pretty smooth. It feels amazingly light for a beer of such a high ABV.

O: Overall I say you can chuck the appearance out the front door for a flavor like this. It may not be the prettiest beer, but it tastes near perfect. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. It's perfect for those looking for a nice autumn holiday beer. I was shocked to see that it is 8% ABV on the website, because I couldn't tell when drinking it. I will grab a few more when I get the chance. (1,283 characters)

First had: on tap at TJ's, Paolia, PA

Poured an orange-copper color, slightly hazy, with a small white head; moderate retention and lacing. Mostly spice in the aroma, which is not a bad thing by me, cinnamon, allspice, caramel, pumpkin. Similar taste, with cinnamon being a dominant factor, caramel malts, nutshells, allspice, nutmeg, mild pumpkin flavors, which again, is ok...I like big flavor in my pumpkin ales, but that can come from the spice too. This was nice, almost like a simple spiced brown ale, medium body, smooth, and quite drinkable. (550 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -1.2%

Very good, especially as pumpkin ales go. It has a lot of depth, and isn't overly sweet. Most pumpkin ales I've had recently- Schlafly's, Weyerbacher's- cover their alcohol pretty well, and this one does the same. While it's still early for pumpkin ales, I'm glad I had this one, and wouldn't mind another as the season goes on. (328 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +11.4%

Managed to get a case yesterday of one of my favorite beers. It's a little early weatherwise for pumpkin brews but I can't pass up the chance to drink a beer bottled just 3 days ago!

A: Little to no head and no lacing. Orange/amber color, fairly clear.

S: Smell is fantastic. I don't get a "beer" smell, but simply a plethora of spices- nutmeg and cinnamon most prominently. The spices hit much stronger than the pumpkin but the pumpkin is definitely there. I don't believe I've ever encountered a pumpkin pie that smelled as amzing as this.

T: Just as with the smell, the spices hit you more than the pumpkin notes. This beer is very, very sweet and malty. I can't detect any hops. I taste sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg with the perfect dash of pumpkin. Although it's over 8% I don't taste any alcohol.

M: Not much carbonation. This beer is a touch thinner than I would expect. The amazing spice taste lingers in your mouth.

O: This is a fantastic spiced beer with a dash of pumpkin. At the moment it is easily my favorite representation of the style. (1,054 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -6.8%

12oz bottle into a goblet

A: Pours hazy orange brown with a half finger of white head. The head required a vigorous pour to create and receded fairly quickly.

S: If I didn't know I was holding onto a beer, I'd think this was an apple pie under my nose, a bit odd since it's a pumpkin ale. Apples, spices, crust and all. It's nice, but not vaguely reminiscent of pumpkins or beer.

T: Strong cinnamon and nutmeg with bready malts and moderate bitterness. I also get some pumpkin as the beer warms. It's not strong, but the flavor is good.

M: Slightly thicker than moderate mouthfeel with low to moderate carbonation. Great for the style.

O: I'm not sure what to make of this beer. The flavors work well together and there are really no flaws to the beer. However, the aroma is way different than the taste and the pumpkin is pretty weak. It's balanced, but not amazing. (872 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +1%

From notes on 12/18/11:
Batch code: 11/18/11; Poured in a pint glass.

A - Less than 1/2" of off-white creamy head that recedes to nothing very quickly; Very cloudy, musty, dark brown/orange-ish amber appearance; No lacing to be had

S - Smells a lot like pumpkin pie with notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin, ginger, and brown sugar

T - Very good balance of pumpkin and spices here; After the initial zest of carbonation, there's a good bit of sweetness with spices coming through afterwards; Finishes pretty clean with hints of both pumpkin and spice

M - Minimal carbonation; A bit less than medium bodied; Slightly syrupy and slick feeling in the mouth

O - Overall, I thought this was a nice pumpkin ale offering that sits in the better half of its class. The flavor was nearly spot-on for what I look for in the style, with a good balance of both sweet pumpkin flavor and the appropriate spices. However, the mouthfeel wasn't the most pleasing for me and held back the beer as a whole. I'll have to try this beer again to see if the mouthfeel is better than this experience, and pair it with a nice slice of pumpkin pie as well. (1,134 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

A high pour for a thinnish white head, but already the aroma of pie spice is present form arm's length. Red-orange body.

Heavy pie spice in the nose along with pumpkin and some cherry.

Very spicy-- the pumpkin is secondary but it's definitely there-- this is not a case of all spice and no pumpkin. This is a pretty classical pumpkin beer. Lots of pumpkin, lots of spice, but a balance. Strikes me as slightly alcohol-heavy, and this is a pretty old bottle (from the Halloween batch, not the Thanksgiving/Christmas batch). It's been in my fridge though. Kind of a good standard by which to judge pumpkin beers.

Feel is a bit bright and fizzy, though fine grained and not soda-like.

Solid pumpkin beer and definitely worth a try. Like many pumpkin beers, this is markedly better on draft, but this review is from a bottle. (825 characters)

Pumpkin Ale from AleWerks Brewing Company