Pumpkin Ale - AleWerks Brewing Company

AleWerks Brewing Company visit their website
Virginia, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: on 09-19-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

Managed to get a case yesterday of one of my favorite beers. It's a little early weatherwise for pumpkin brews but I can't pass up the chance to drink a beer bottled just 3 days ago!

A: Little to no head and no lacing. Orange/amber color, fairly clear.

S: Smell is fantastic. I don't get a "beer" smell, but simply a plethora of spices- nutmeg and cinnamon most prominently. The spices hit much stronger than the pumpkin but the pumpkin is definitely there. I don't believe I've ever encountered a pumpkin pie that smelled as amzing as this.

T: Just as with the smell, the spices hit you more than the pumpkin notes. This beer is very, very sweet and malty. I can't detect any hops. I taste sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg with the perfect dash of pumpkin. Although it's over 8% I don't taste any alcohol.

M: Not much carbonation. This beer is a touch thinner than I would expect. The amazing spice taste lingers in your mouth.

O: This is a fantastic spiced beer with a dash of pumpkin. At the moment it is easily my favorite representation of the style.

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

2.5/5  rDev -40.2%

3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

2.75/5  rDev -34.2%

3.88/5  rDev -7.2%

12oz bottle into a goblet

A: Pours hazy orange brown with a half finger of white head. The head required a vigorous pour to create and receded fairly quickly.

S: If I didn't know I was holding onto a beer, I'd think this was an apple pie under my nose, a bit odd since it's a pumpkin ale. Apples, spices, crust and all. It's nice, but not vaguely reminiscent of pumpkins or beer.

T: Strong cinnamon and nutmeg with bready malts and moderate bitterness. I also get some pumpkin as the beer warms. It's not strong, but the flavor is good.

M: Slightly thicker than moderate mouthfeel with low to moderate carbonation. Great for the style.

O: I'm not sure what to make of this beer. The flavors work well together and there are really no flaws to the beer. However, the aroma is way different than the taste and the pumpkin is pretty weak. It's balanced, but not amazing.

4.18/5  rDev 0%

From notes on 12/18/11:
Batch code: 11/18/11; Poured in a pint glass.

A - Less than 1/2" of off-white creamy head that recedes to nothing very quickly; Very cloudy, musty, dark brown/orange-ish amber appearance; No lacing to be had

S - Smells a lot like pumpkin pie with notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin, ginger, and brown sugar

T - Very good balance of pumpkin and spices here; After the initial zest of carbonation, there's a good bit of sweetness with spices coming through afterwards; Finishes pretty clean with hints of both pumpkin and spice

M - Minimal carbonation; A bit less than medium bodied; Slightly syrupy and slick feeling in the mouth

O - Overall, I thought this was a nice pumpkin ale offering that sits in the better half of its class. The flavor was nearly spot-on for what I look for in the style, with a good balance of both sweet pumpkin flavor and the appropriate spices. However, the mouthfeel wasn't the most pleasing for me and held back the beer as a whole. I'll have to try this beer again to see if the mouthfeel is better than this experience, and pair it with a nice slice of pumpkin pie as well.

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

A high pour for a thinnish white head, but already the aroma of pie spice is present form arm's length. Red-orange body.

Heavy pie spice in the nose along with pumpkin and some cherry.

Very spicy-- the pumpkin is secondary but it's definitely there-- this is not a case of all spice and no pumpkin. This is a pretty classical pumpkin beer. Lots of pumpkin, lots of spice, but a balance. Strikes me as slightly alcohol-heavy, and this is a pretty old bottle (from the Halloween batch, not the Thanksgiving/Christmas batch). It's been in my fridge though. Kind of a good standard by which to judge pumpkin beers.

Feel is a bit bright and fizzy, though fine grained and not soda-like.

Solid pumpkin beer and definitely worth a try. Like many pumpkin beers, this is markedly better on draft, but this review is from a bottle.

4.6/5  rDev +10%

Poured from bottle into my Chimay goblet

Appearance- Very cloudy orange/red. Very thin head that goes away right away.

Smell- Just like fall! I get apples and just a hint of pumpkin spices.

Taste- The most complex pumpkin beer I've ever had. Just like the nose, only way more pumpkin spices. Fantastic!

Mouthfeel- Perfect for the style. Not syruppy, and certainly not thin. Coats your mouth in all the right places.

Overall- One of the best in the class. I wish I lived by this brewery, cause I would live there in the Fall.

Pumpkin Ale from AleWerks Brewing Company