Cream Stout - Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC

Cream StoutCream Stout

Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bucko on 03-14-2007)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
1.05/5  rDev -67.6%

WOW....I didn't think a beer could get worse than Fuel Cafe but I was wrong. I am ashamed to admit this crap is from Minnesota. What in the heck is this stuff?

Smells like something that a horse gets rid of from its back end!!!

Can anybody say sour milk? Cream stout? Yeah right, it's more like buttermilk stout mixed with rotten eggs.

I just wasted money on a 6 pack. The whole thing went drown the drain. The bottles were under so much pressure, that I didn't want them sitting in my house for fear of them exploding as they all have clearly turned into crap. There is no CO2 in the bottle but instead all of the gas has turned into methane.

Note to the guy that wants a bottle of this....there are six on their way to the water contamination treatment center here in town. When you get there, just look for the brown crap that smells like everything else. Tasting is up to you.

schellsbeer, Oct 24, 2008
1.1/5  rDev -66%

I was excited to see this on tap at a restaurant attached to my hotel in Ames, IA (Old Chicago).

Tasted sour, and quite repulsive. I asked the bar tender about it and she stated she didn't think anything was wrong with the keg, tap, etc. I suggested she investigate, or at least tell someone who could as I didn't want anyone else to have the same experience.

Hopefully, this is an isolated incident, but having this negative experience I would not recommend this beer to my friends.

ArmOnFire, Jan 28, 2009
1.43/5  rDev -55.9%

Cream stouts being one of my favorite styles, I saw this one at a local shop back home and decided to give it a shot.
Probably the worst beer that I have had. I have talked with a few other Minnesotan beer drinkers, and how they Brau Brother's could put out a beer like this. Some said that their bottled stuff is really hit or miss, and generally the latter if it has sat on the shelves terribly long.
The taste was watery and maybe of sour milk, and the smell was similar. The only beer I've had that I ended up pouring down the drain because I couldn't finish it.

lhaqq, Oct 04, 2008
1.93/5  rDev -40.4%

Appearance: Pours a dark brown body with a creamy, off-white head.

Smell: Dark malt aroma sullied by an odd, sharp, lactic fruit scent. What now?

Taste: Dark malts with a bit of chocolate. More of that lactic sourness present in the aroma.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Ugh. Frankly, it's pretty flawed.

ChainGangGuy, Feb 14, 2008
2.2/5  rDev -32.1%

I liked every thing about this beer but the taste. Picked up a 6-pack on my last trip to St. Cloud. As I travel around the country on business I seek out unusual and local beers. I was all set to enjoy another good stout and, by all appearences, this one should have quailified.

Poured a nice, charactoristic stout; near-black, with a very full, creamy head that continued to develop for sometime after the initial pour. Very good head retention and lacing. Smell seemed odd, but what the hey?

Upon sampling the brew the first impression was that of intense sourness. Some malty sweetness and a hint of roasted barley far behind. But I can't get past the sour flavour. Not much hop taste or aroma - but then, this is a sweet stout.

I have to confess that Milk/sweet stout is not as high on my list as other varieties of stout. I don't think this is typical of the style. I wish the Brau Brothers the best, but this is not a beer I will buy again, and that is saying something!

DukeofAle, Feb 11, 2008
2.23/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

From a mixed 6 pack bought on a whim. No bottled or freshness date to be found.

a- pretty opaque dark brown with a 2 finger creamy light tan head. Shows faint reddish brown notes up to the light.

s- thick roasted chocolate malts and really heavy lactose. there is a slight sour milk character which surprised me. A pleasant balance.

t- the flavor is quite weak. A sour lactose hits upfront with roasted chocolatey malts and caramel. The weird sour, even cheesy cream character lingers long after the finish along with some coffee. It almost tastes as though the "cream" here has gone bad.

m- a thick and creamy medium-heavy bodied beer. does not go down smooth at all. carbonation is very subtle, almost nonexistent.

d- well it's a heavy milk stout that tastes sour somehow. I couldn't see any reason to drink more than one of these. It's unique for sure but not in any way I want to keep going with.

I honestly wonder if this has gone bad or they messed up this batch. I've never tasted a milk stout that tasted so much like bad cheese with roasted chocolate. Weird.

HappyBivouac, Nov 20, 2008
2.23/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass.

A-Light-brown head, low-moderate retention. Black beer, looks like it would maybe like to let a bit of light through, but it seems generally opaque.

S-Butterscotch with caramel and a hint of dairy-choco-sweetness.

T-Butterscotch with a dry chocolate that makes its presence known. Bitterness is assertive, coupled with a slight, lingering roast. Finishes with roasted malts, bitter coffee, and a slightly medicinal twinge.

M-Medium-light body is lacking, feels awkward and finishes cloying. Too dry-ish feeling in the finish. Medium carbonation level.

D-Low. The flavor is not really in line with the style, and it's generally not an easy-drinking brew. I like what Brau Bros. have to offer, but this one isn't one I'd seek out again.

CHSLBrew, Apr 01, 2009
2.4/5  rDev -25.9%

this is a very good looking beer. things begin to go south from there. the first problem is that it seems over-carbonated in the bottle. forms a large head, but this dissipates very quickly, with little lacing. not much to the aroma--slightly sour, muted roasted malt notes. the colour promises a beer with good body, but there is nothing to it--watery and characterless. nothing to write home about in the flavour category either--some roasted malt notes when it first hits the palate but gives way to present...nothing. it improves if let it sit for a while and warm up before pouring, but not enough for me to buy another 6 pk of this.

daaru, Oct 20, 2007
2.48/5  rDev -23.5%

$1.49 for a 12 oz bottle

A: deep black, opaque beer, poured a nice tan head that quickly dissipated to a thin layer and ultimately lacing on the side of the glass
S: medium nose, not overly sweet but roasted malt
T: thin taste, roasted malt, watery
M: thin roasted malt but for 5% not bad, more like a session beer in mouthfeel, somewhat watery, very little finish
O: no offensive tastes but just lacks character and body

wisrarebeer, May 06, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -23.5%

The bottle cap unscrewed very easy - which worried me that the beer was not properly sealed.

The pour produced little head (possibly due to the above) even during an increasingly assertive speed. The head was maybe a half inch, but dissipated almost immediately with no lace. The lace never appeared throughout the drinking process. Color was as described by other posters, almost black, but not completely opaque even in a wide brandy snifter.

I loved the smell. It reminded me of good dry Merlot of all things. I was excited to take my first sip.

Taste wasn't very good - sour and curdled, as mentioned before, like bad cream. It wasn't bad enough to be a drainer, but not good enough to recommend or buy another 6-pack.

Mouthfeel was thin and light on first taste, but that bad cream taste made it feel rather thick, almost nauseating to the back of the palate and throat.

Drinkability - well, see above.

I will give it another honest try since I have a 6-pack, but if I feel the same, I'll just save the extra bottles for others that might want to try something new. I likely won't buy more.

swingdjted, Mar 15, 2009
2.8/5  rDev -13.6%

A: Whole lotta carbonation going on with this beer, its going to take two pours so that it doesn’t over flow everywhere. Dark cola color which allows the light to slip through easily. Head is full abd made up of medium sized latte colored bubbles. Each sip leaves a ring to measure how many swallows are in this beer.

S: Lactose, day old coffee, aluminum, grape juice, some faint mint and powdered cocoa.

T: Begins with toasted bread with the slightly charred aspects to it. Quickly a sour nature occurs along the realm of red grapes and flat cola…this flavor makes me question whether or not this bottle has been compromised, but you never know. Next comes aluminum, lactose and day old coffee. Finishes sour and unattractive.

M: Medium to full body and soft.

D: Not digging on this beer. I hate when beer take this sour personality to them. I’m going to finish this beer but under duress.

Westsidethreat, Jun 28, 2007
2.85/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Purchased at 3 Corners Liquor in Medford, MN. Pours a pitch black body with a thin light khaki head. Aroma of faint roasted malts, raisins and black licorice. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, lightly carbonated and slightly watery. Flavors follow the aroma, but nothing very special about this beer. Drinkability is okay, but I won't be reaching for this one again.

blackearth, Apr 02, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -9.6%

A: Nice, dark, thick brown, almost black beer. Huge head, but it's what I expect from a stout.

S: Great big malty smell, however, it seemed to be fairly one noted, still great smell.

T: Same with the smell, the one note factor came into play again, the taste was smooth and refined, but didn't hit the multiple flavors I'm looking for in a beer, however, that does come with most of the cream stout territory.

M: Very smooth, and finished well, allowed for some dancing on the tongue.

D: Good drinkability, not something I'd kill for to have again.

Overall, good beer, but I've had better stouts, still, I enjoyed it. Cheers

NicholasCasber, Dec 11, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -9.6%

Brau Brothers Cream Stout pours a rapidly collapsing finger
of foam over an opaque black brew. The nose is dark fruit,
and toasty malt. The flavor is mellow dark malts- with mocha
and espresso notes, and a mild grassy hop finish. Mouthfeel
is round but with a bit of crispness too. Not a bad stout at all,
though it's kind of one dimensional. Could be this is a good
choice for somebody who wants to try something a bit heavier
for the first time.

shadow1961, Jun 28, 2007
2.95/5  rDev -9%

Nice looking black pour with a tan head that sticks around pretty well.
Aroma is very faint but I can detect some roasted malts.
Taste is decent, touches of chocolate and roasted barley come through, touches of herbal hops are there as well.
Mouthfeel is where this looses it for me, as a stout goes this is thin, carbonated to about the right level, but there isn't the wonderful creamy chewey texture I like in a stout. I could have a couple of these, I just don't buy it over other selections out there.

mnstorm99, Apr 17, 2008

doucmehu, Nov 17, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -4.9%

A- Pours a dark brown with an off white two inch head

S- Subtle vanilla, coffee, chocolate and some roasted malt notes

T- More of the same with some coffee, cocoa, roasted malt, and vanilla

M- Slightly thin and watery mouthfeel with some creaminess. Thin to medium body

O- Not a bad brew and pretty average, but disappointing after trying their Moo Joos, which was much better IMO.

iadler, Jun 19, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -4.9%

Bittersweet chocolate brown with orange-bronze highlights at the margins. This stout isn't quite opaque, but a fairly bright light source is required to figure that out. The malted milk ball colored cap is on the small side and isn't as richly creamy as I'd like.

Soft alarm bells are going off in my head as I assess the aroma. The beer smells roasted malty and chocolate-like and all those other stouty things, but it also smells sour. I hope it's simply the usual lactic sourness of a milk stout and not something more sinister.

Brau Brothers Cream Stout is a letdown. Beer of this style, in my opinion at least, should be either malty sweet or roasted bitter or balanced between those two. A little tartness is fine (and appropriate), but I don't believe the brewers meant for this batch to be this sour. More malt sugars would have helped cover up what may have been a brewing mistake, except this is anything but a big stout and malt sugars are in relatively short supply.

The 'chocolate and coffee notes' claimed on the attractive silk-screened bottle are noted, even if the beer isn't 'complex and packed with' them. This could be a pretty decent cream stout if it was fleshed out a little. I was unable to find the ABV, but I'd say it's somewhere in the vicinity of 5.0%.

The mouthfeel is too light no matter the ABV. In fact, it's lighter in the mouth than the average porter. As is often the case, more chocolate or black or roasted malt would have a chance to turn a forgettable stout into a memorable one. For the last time, stouts oughta be stout... or least not skinny.

I'd never heard of Brau Brothers Brewing prior to seeing their beer at Blue Max on a recent trip to Minneapolis. It looks like they've been around for a little more than a year now. My hope is that this bottle of Cream Stout isn't representative, either of this particular beer or of the rest of their lineup. Any new brewery deserves time to work out the kinks.

BuckeyeNation, Jul 18, 2007
3.1/5  rDev -4.3%

Brau Brothers Cream Stout is a pure-black colored brew, with a small khaki head which doesn't last too long. The body is completely opaque and does not admit any hues when held to light.

The nose is pretty light, but mainly focuses on dark and roasted malt.

The taste is pretty light as well, chocolate malts, fairly sweet, almost has some soda flavors in it as well. The mouth is light and wet.

Tballz420, Sep 24, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -4.3%

Bottle. Pours a very dark brown/black color wtih surprisingly very little head. What head there is collars around the glass in a slight tan color. Slightly smokey, dark roast coffee aroma. Decent coffee aroma. Slightly sweet with a coffee taste. Some bitter roast flavors along with some leather tastes. Medium mouthfeel. Ends with a slight smoky taste. Overall, not bad but nothing that makes me stop in my tracks.

kbutler1, Oct 16, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -2.8%

A: Black with a small head. Not much retention

S: Sweet chocolate smell, nothing else.

T: There isn't much flvaour, a bit of sweet chocolate. You really have to search to find the flavours, but I'm still having a hard time finding any.

M: Slightly watery.

D: eh, it's okay.

swizzlenuts, Oct 30, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours out an opaque black colour, some crimson hues as well. there is a huge frothy, tan head which sticks which leaves plentiful lace. dark roasted malt aroma, ripe fruit, some java and toffee notes, a bit of lactic sourness, and a ghostly hint of flowery hops. tastes of sour fruit, a bit of smokiness in the malt, dark chocolate, and some bitter coffee notes. a nice floral hoppiness gets lost in the mix, but is duly noted. the sourness seems a bit overdone, overshadowing the dark roasted notes that are needed to balance this sort of brew. the body seems on the light side, but doesn't seem to distract from the extremely smooth, albeit a touch watery, mouthfeel. drinakbility is nice....wouldn't be a problem to put down a few of these. improves as it warms a bit.

i don't like pairing beer and sweets, but i find myself thinking some strawberry cheescake would be a fine compliment to this brew.

overall a nice stab at the style. tone down the lactic sourness and amp up the malt and bitterness ever so slightly, and this would be a very nice cream stout.

budgood1, Dec 28, 2007
3.23/5  rDev -0.3%

Looks nice, pours black with cola coloured highlights around the edges. Finely and fairly vigorously carbonated, about 2/3 of the beer (12oz serving) made its way into my 16oz pint glass, needless to say is was topped by a mountain of tight, pale tan head. Excellent retention, and sticky gobs of lace are being left behind as the huge head gradually subsides.

Hate to say it but there must be some kind of infection going on in here, and it seems to be relatively common based on peaking at the other reviews. Lactose sweetness is absent, and is replaced by lactic acid sourness. Milk chocolate, creamy and nutty malts, a metallic twang playing of the lactic acid, as well as a leafy and earthy quality also present.

This is one funked up cream stout. Creamy milk chocolate meets sour spoiling fruit. Call me a crazy mofo, and im certain this is not what the brewer intended, but im digging this. Mild hint of char appears after the creamy, nutty chocolate before being swept away in a wave of sour fruit funk. Gonna quit trying to review this by style and just go based on its funkeduposity, after all if this was labelled a raspberry belgian stout or something like that this is more or less what i would expect! After the tart blast of something that reminds me of raspberry crier notes of espresso emerge and give way to the decaying, leafy hops.

Fairly light in body, perhaps the unwanted microorganism fermented what was supposed to be left behind to make up the full body attributed to this beer by the label. Also feels somewhat spritzy. Creamy yet one tart mofo, with nice balance between chocolately malts, a touch of char, and a light dab of earthy, leafy hops.

Was worried after only smelling that this would be a drain pour. No such worries anymore, despite being horribly infected and not representative of the lablelled style this is an interesting and tasty brew. Also easier to drink than the intentional fruit beer i drank last night. Hopefully this brew was just sitting on the shelves for too long, or six months in the cellar was too much for it and that the problems are due to oxidation and not infection. I may never know the answer. Would i try this again? Guess i may be a sick mofo cuz my answer would be yes, as long as my digestive tract suffers no ill effects. Have another bottle, if its drastically different will rereview. Thanks to chonyr for this most interesting brew.

demcorhip, Apr 08, 2008
3.3/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I just picked some of this up so maybe it has come out of retirement because I don't think that it is old stock

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass

A-dark brown with a little ruby on the edges with about a 2 finger head that fades quickly

S-not big on smell but what there is has some carmel malt

T-much like the smell, some sweet carmel malt with a little roast coffee and cream

M-on the thin and watery side with a lot of fizzy carbonation like a soda

O-not bad and easy to drink but not as good as their moo joos

tvv375ia, Apr 28, 2012
3.3/5  rDev +1.9%

A-Dark Brown with 3/4 inch tan head that fades thin.

S-Not a huge aroma. Hints of nut, chocolate and rasins.

T-Not my favorite stout, but pretty good. Doesn't have as much flavor as I would have liked, and most of that comes at the end.

M-Pretty light for a stout. Very smooth.

D-Only 5.0% abv, so a very sessionable beer.

Overall a pretty good beer. I doubt I'll ever see it again in the south, but if I do I will be sure to give it another try.

casemw, Mar 05, 2009