Scotch Ale - Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC

Scotch AleScotch Ale

Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  7.30% ABV

(Beer added by: bucko on 03-14-2007)
Reviews by Misfit138:
3.3/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A- Nice dark orange in color with a tan head that left lacing

S- Caramel malts, bread yeast and a sweet almost banana scent

T- Initially sweet caramel, followed by a kick of smokiness that mostly takes over and mild bitterness

M- Medium bodied, moderate carbonation

D- I didn't really care for this ale, but I think it would be perfect with some bbq. I don't really want to be to harsh on this because I think it has potential in the right situation with food, but otherwise I won't be drinking it.

Misfit138, Aug 03, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -19.3%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Hazy reddish-orange with minimal head and a mostly dead look.

Smell: Sweet caramel and peat malts. Maybe a touch of floral hops.

Taste: Extremely strange combination of sweet caramel, medicinal cherry and unusually sharp and smoky peat. It is not a good carbonation.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium body, strange finish which I can't describe.

Drinkability: This is my third Brau Brothers beer. The other two (Sheephead, Ring Neck) were fantastic. This is just poorly made.

bsp77, Jul 18, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams pint glass.

Appearance: Dark and cloudy brownish orange with a small white head that fades into a patchy layer. Not much lacing.

Smell: Lots of malty sweetness with a nutty and smoked character. Caramel and toffee is mixed with hints of grassy hops.

Taste: Very malty and sweet up front from the caramel and toffee. Has a nutty and grassy taste throughout. Hints of earthy hops but the bitterness is very low.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation. Very crisp and smooth.

Overall: A solid version of a Scotch ale. Sweet but not overbearing.

MattyG85, May 22, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -20.8%

I was not impressed with this beer. Even after hearing good things about it, I have to admit the first whiff had the smell of sour meat. Then the flavor was overwhelmingly smoky - and I am a fan of rachbiers - but this tasted almost as if they simply added liquid smoke to beer. All in all, however, it almost worked - not near as bad as my smoke/sour meat analysis might initially sound. I was able to finish it, but it's probably not anything I'd buy again.

BigBossMan, Sep 10, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured into my glass, it looks pretty nice with a light head and lacing as I drink it down. The aroma is a wonderful peat-smoked smell with a little malt behind it. The smoke fades in the taste which is a balanced mix of caramel malts. My only complaint is that the flavor fades too quickly, leaving almost no aftertaste.

tempest, Dec 22, 2007
2.42/5  rDev -27.1%

Poured from a bottle into a tall pilsner glass.

Pours a little lighter than the bottle which carried it. Head lasts for a little over a minute. Smells as it tastes, smokey and sweet, almost like barbecue sauce with some chipotle spice. Lingering flavor. Mouthfeel is thicker and oilier than I thought it would be from the pour. Lightly carbonated.

This one is hard to finish. Maybe it's the style, maybe it's the brewer. It's heavy and not very tasty. From what I've heard and read about this brewer, I shouldn't give up on them completely because a month from now, I could buy the same thing and absolutely love it. Maybe that's some of this brewer's charm. At any rate, I wish them all the best.

hodgsongreg, Nov 16, 2009
3.6/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours orangish/brown or mahogany as other reviewers described the color. A thin head forms and leaves quickly leaving just spotty lacing. Brau Bros. really need to improve in this department.

The smell is more subdued than what I would expect in this style. I get caramel, toffee, and roasted malt.

The flavor is of toasted malt, caramel, and smoke. Just a hint of chocolate on finish. Seems to be suitably carbonated, medium bodied, but leaves a bit of smokey aftertaste. I guess Scotch drinkers are accustomed to this. I would call this one BBB's best beer that I have sampled.

morimech, Oct 06, 2007
3.78/5  rDev +13.9%

A welcome extra via trade from Buebie...

A - Three fingers worth of effervescent light tan head... Respectable retention gives way to a rich lacing... Minimal stickiness on the sides of the glass... Lots of carbonation bubbles clinging to the side of the glass... Orange rust color with a faint red hue... Slightly murky...

S - Lots of ripe fruit... Fig... Sweet apple... Pear... Mango... Grape Juice... Caramel... Toffee... Some grains...

T - Similar to the nose, there is a very heavy fruit presence... Apple... Grape... Peach... Mango... Slightly medicinal... Smokey finish and after taste... Very good taste, but there seems to be a severe lack of the malt that I typically expect from a Scotch Ale...

M - Medium bodied... Rich... Creamy... Slightly burnt chalky texture...

D - A pleasant surpise in the realm of Scotch Ales... Not a text book example of the style and not head of the class, but a very interesting brew none the less... A very pleasant surprise, especially given my low expectations based on other reviews... I would gladly try again and recommend any Scotch Ale fans to give it a try...

philbe311, Jun 05, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle courtesy of Oakbluff: Poured a medium copper color ale with a medium foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma is slightly sour which may indicate a small infection with some notes of caramel malt. Taste is dominated by lightly sweet caramel malt with no other discernable characteristics. Body is somewhat thin with a weird oily texture and no hint of peat malt. Overall, I thought this was quite bland.

Phyl21ca, May 16, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +17.5%

Served on tap(at the Minnesota State Fair in a clear plastic cup), this pours a hazy mahogany hue, with a small white head that rapidly dissipates, leaving no head or lacing. The smell is fruity. The taste is rich in caramel malt as well as a sweet plum fruitiness. The mouthfeel is light and refreshing. This is a tasty treat and a pleasure to find at the great Minnesota get-together. I'll be back for more.

edbeered, Sep 01, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +17.5%

Reviewed on 7-28-10
Reviewed cold from a bottle to a glass

A - 1 finger of foam, good layer of froth after the foam dissipated, cloudy tan copper color but can see that there is carbonation bubbles present

S - Sweet roasted malts, some hops, slight caramel notes but lots of orange peel and apricot

T/M - Medium bodied, smooth taste to this brew

D - Pretty drinkable brew. Not one of my favorite styles but this brew helped turn my head. I would for sure have this brew again and I recommend it!

FreshmanPour77, Aug 03, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -16.3%

Orange to gold in color. Fruity and fresh nose that is pleasant. Light foam head after being poured into a pint glass. Sweet and malty attack. The maltiness carries through the flavor but the finish is somewhat odd. The aftertaste lingers in the mouth a long while and isnt' really all that enjoyable for me. It seems to come on a bit too strong at the finish and ruined what would otherwise have been a good beer.

Ragingbull, Apr 02, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Big thanks to Pitmonkey for throwing this bottle in as an extra with our trade.

a - pours a deep golden color, fairly clear, one-finger ivory head with decent retention and lacing

s - nose dominated by sweet, caramelly malt, hints of peaty smokiness, not much alcohol

t - predominant flavor is rich, sweet caramel malt, the finish has more sweetness with the peat making an appearance, alcohol not detectable

m - medium-bodied, moderate carbonation, sweet finish

d - pretty drinkable, alcohol is not very evident, fairly easy on the palate

Solid offering from Brau Brothers. This is not my favorite style, but I like that this beer wasn't cloyingly sweet as some Scotch Ales I've had have been. Worth a try.

WeisGuy, Dec 11, 2007
3.35/5  rDev +0.9%

A - Dark bronze orange. Small foamy, lightly creamy, soapy white head. Average retention with just a thin layer of lace.

S - A little faint. Has a peaty and tangy aroma with the toasted malt. Hints of slightly tart fruit aroma (cherry especially but some apple and gold fruit). Not particularly what I expect from a Scotch Ale.

T - Like the nose, it definitely has Scotch Ale flavors, but it just seems a little faint and lacking in some areas. That tart cherry and apple along with the slightly toasted malt provide most of the flavor. Only a touch of peaty flavor. A touch on the sweet side with hints of spice.

M - Lighter body with average carbonation. A little too light and watery.

D - Goes down easy, but it doesn't really inspire me to drink more. A little too faint and light, and lacking too much in regards to a Scotch Ale.

Notes: Meh. This is an average beer at best. Nothing really wrong, just a little faint and is missing out on a lot of Scotch Ale flavor. A little sweet and slightly tart. Only hints of peat. worth trying, possibly if the price is right, but not really worth seeking.

FreshHawk, Nov 05, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +26.5%

My co-worker brought this to me, he was so impressed with it.
I agree with him. It's a terrific scotch ale. Something I havent experienced in quite awhile.

An incredible earthy, woodsy pine aroma brings me into the glass. Candy like or cake batter. I haven't smelled a beer this good in a long time.
With flavors to match the aroma, with scotch, carmel flavors as well.

Mild, dry peppery aftertaste.

Re-review 2008-05-11:
No pine aroma, more like wet wood. On this date, the beer is much more thick and wet than last. I suppose it hasn't fermented as dry as it should have. Dead flat.

Undercarbonated, very malt forward, very sweet and thick, smokey.
The grade and rating shown is for the first tasting.

Gump, May 12, 2008
3.65/5  rDev +9.9%

A: It's a little light for a scotch ale, more a copper color, but a nice two finger just off white head and there is ton's of active carbonation going on. It's pretty clean, not much haze at all. Unfortunately, that head isn't sticking around very long at all. Ok looking, but not great.

S: Gingery from afar. Ginger and fresh cut lawn. A deeper inspection brings out the malt that I want. Biscuity, but also sweet and rich. Some caramel/toffee going on in there as well.

T: Not as malty as I want, I guess I'm too used to Dirty Bastard. But sill, a decent malt. I surprised that they got it up over 7abv. The ginger/lawn smell is in the taste as well, and it's nice. The more I let it sit on my tongue, the more I get a candi sweetness. Even some more fruit, though that could be almost esthery. Overall, not bad, just not very scotchish.

M: There is something here I don't like too much. I can't put my finger on it though. It's not over carbed or flat, not too thick or too thin.

D: I could do more, not sure that I want to, I'd say this would be a great beer to get on sale to fill in a night.

mdwalsh, Aug 05, 2009
3.1/5  rDev -6.6%

a: pours a golden maroon color with about an inch and a half of ivory head that doesnt dissapear too fast and leaves a good amount of lacing
s: sweet caramel malts really dominate the nose on this one kind of a smoky peat aroma as well
t: rich sweet caramel malts dominate the flavor, a lot of sweetness, i cant taste any hop notes or alcohol in the flavor
m: medium bodied beer with a decent amount of carbonation

oveall, this is a drinkable beer bu i dont think that i will buy another

happygnome, Dec 24, 2007
3.7/5  rDev +11.4%

I had a small sample of this beer at the West Side Liqour store here in Willmar the other day. I just wasn't ready to take the dive for the $5.99/6pk although I was willing if the sample went down okay. I guess the mention of the "peat smoke" was the deciding factor since I adore Scotch Whisky- the smokier the better.
My first impression was the sweetness. Not a heavy sweet syrupy sweet, but a clear clean sweet. The peat was way in the background. Even in the little plastic sample cup there was no head. I didn't find this beer impressive enough to buy a 6 pk.

fizzy, Apr 27, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +19.9%

Into a pint glass, pours an alarmingly light shade of amber caramel brown, a nice head that shrinks to a thin film, just bit of lacing here and there. The aroma is pretty solid, nice fruity hints of berries and cherries and fainter peaty earthiness, nicely malty, decent but fairly stock for the style.

The taste is a little better, but just not enough umph that it needs. As I first looked at it, looked like there wouldn't be enough malt, and I was right. The body is decent, a little over medium, nice carbonation, and there is a fair amount of peaty malty goodness, but I'm a bit underwhelmed. Its good, mind you, just want more. But could I drink a case of this in a sitting? You betcha!

objectivemonkey, Dec 12, 2007
3.55/5  rDev +6.9%

Brau Brothers Scotch Ale pours a finger of tight foam
over a cloudy amber brew. Carbonation is steady, and
the nose is malt and something fruity- pear juice maybe?
The flavor is malt, of course, but with hints of smoke as
well, with an herbal hop finish. The mouthfeel is crisp,
dry, and refreshing. Really tasty, well worth a try.

shadow1961, May 24, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +18.4%

This one poured a murky copper/orange with a good head that stuck pretty well.

The caramel malts were at the forefront in the nose. Sweet and sour fruit notes: citrus hops and well ripened fruit. More toasted bready malts and substantial smokyness followed.

Taste was very earthy. Smoky throughout, sweet and sour maltiness and a definite fruit presence. Well-masked alcohol and a bready finish.

Body was pretty light and a bit but not overly watery. Nice bite and a slight dry finish.

Pretty easy to drink for a scotch, maybe not completely typical to the style but that doesn't bother me.I think it is the best of the Brau Bros that I have tried.

climax, Apr 20, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -24.7%

TStout, Sep 06, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -15.7%

Bottle courtesy of BigDank in a fairly recent trade. Opened and shared on 2/3/10.

A: The pour is a clear, light golden color with a thin layer of off-white foam which quickly dissipates.

S: The nose is almost non-existent. Light malt sweetness with perhaps a touch of fruit (banana, perhaps).

T: The flavor is a slight improvement offering up some detectable flavors. The beer is fairly sweet and malty with a light touch of fruits and a mild peat character.

M: The body was a bit thin and light for a Wee Heavy, but not necessarily watery. The carbonation is moderate.

D: Overall, a pretty "meh" beer. While Wee Heavies are not a style I necessarily seek out, I enjoy a good one, and this doesn't fit that description.

womencantsail, Feb 08, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -5.7%

I was very excited to try this one out, maybe it just didn't live up to my expectations. The color was a little on the pale side of amber and I was immediately hit by a smell of alcohol. Upon tasting, the first thing I noticed was alcohol. After that, spices and very little hops (which, to me, is a good thing). The alcohol flavor was overpowering and detracted from the brew. The mouthfeel was too thin. Drinkability was on the low side of average due to the alcohol overpowering all else.

captenaj, Dec 18, 2008
3.33/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a cloudy, copper/orange color. 2/3 inch head of an off-white color. Good retention and slight lacing. Smells of strong grain, slight roasted malt, and slight hop. Fits the style of a Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. There is also a strong dryness associated with this brew. Tastes of grain, slight alcohol, some plum, tea like flavor, hint of smoke, and grass in the finish. Overall, the grass and tea flavor is a little off-putting, but it is still easy drinking.

Tone, Jul 07, 2009