Scotch Ale - Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC

Scotch AleScotch Ale

Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  7.30% ABV

(Beer added by: bucko on 03-14-2007)
4.43/5  rDev +33.4%

This brew pours a vibrant mahogany color. The head is one inch in height, thick, and creamy. Lacing is decent, and lasts until the beer is gone. The aroma is of caramel, peat, and toffee. The taste is of caramel, toffee, nuts, peat, maple syrup, and smoke. The mouthfeel is full bodied with nice carbonation and a somewhat silky texture. Overall, this is one of the better scotch ales I have had. Of all the Brau Brothers beers I have found the scotch ale to be the most consistant in terms of quality and carbonation levels.

4.28/5  rDev +28.9%

I like this beer! I'm generally not a scotch ale fan. Most examples I've tried are cloying and about as subtle as a dentist's drill. But there's something about the Brau Bros. effort that really seems to me to capture the essence of this style.

A=Thick, rich looking. Plenty of thick head and lacing. Very impressive looking beer.
S=Nice, but a little odd. This is one of those beers that actually tastes better than it smells. (Like a good cheese, I suppose.)
T=Super! Wave after wave of good, dense scotch-y, ale-y flavor. I bet this one would improve with a little age.
M=Sexy. Dense. Velvety. I really love the feel of this beer going down.
D=It's a good beer, but I don't think I'd enjoy more than one or two at a time. (That's not a criticism, since I can only drink one HopSlam, but I love the heck out of that one serving!)

This beer makes me think the Brau Bros. have a good future ahead of them. I hope to sample this one on tap sometime soon. Cask aged, perhaps? As my brother-in-law might say, "Woo-hoo!"

4.22/5  rDev +27.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Unibroue tulip. If I squint my eyes, it's a thistle.

A: Rich copper/amber color, creamy light tan 2 finger head, decent retention and nice lace. Carbonation is fairly active.

S: Roasted malts, yeast, faint hops and a whiff of smoke.

T: Really delivers here. Smoke and roasted notes linger nicely throughout. Some sweetness up front fades a bit more quickly in the finish, producing a nice change of character during each sip. Oh yeah, gimme more.

M: Pretty good here, medium body, smooth feel and finish.

D: Alcohol is well hidden, hitting all the right notes-- if I don't watch myself, I'll drink myself to sleep with this. Not that that would be all bad....

After reading other reviews, I had decided to pass this one over. However, there was a tasting tonight and I gave it a try. Fell in love at the tasting and brought home a six. This is my second Brau Brothers, and I'm pretty impressed. Will definitely buy again. Slainte!

4.2/5  rDev +26.5%

My co-worker brought this to me, he was so impressed with it.
I agree with him. It's a terrific scotch ale. Something I havent experienced in quite awhile.

An incredible earthy, woodsy pine aroma brings me into the glass. Candy like or cake batter. I haven't smelled a beer this good in a long time.
With flavors to match the aroma, with scotch, carmel flavors as well.

Mild, dry peppery aftertaste.

Re-review 2008-05-11:
No pine aroma, more like wet wood. On this date, the beer is much more thick and wet than last. I suppose it hasn't fermented as dry as it should have. Dead flat.

Undercarbonated, very malt forward, very sweet and thick, smokey.
The grade and rating shown is for the first tasting.

4.1/5  rDev +23.5%

A-Deep copper with a thin white ring, no lace.

S-Sweet malt with hints of smoke. All of this is subdude.

T-Nice sweet caramel malt with stealthy hints of smoke. This one builds as your imbibe.

M-Medium body and very smooth. Culminates with a nice dry finish.

D-Nice stuff. I like the addition of the smokey peated malt. My first Brau Bros brew...a nice one that will have me look for more of their stuff.

12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Hazy/cloudy deep amber-brown.

S: Earthy maltiness. Smoky caramel/toffee.

T: Very peaty and a good amount of smoke, too. Rich finish with only a slight bitter. Coffee flavors linger.

M: Thick, rich, full.

D: In the right circumstances I could see more than a few of these. Great example of a great style.

4.1/5  rDev +23.5%

This beer looks like it has some viscosity as it pours into my glass. It creates a murky appearance. Body is something along the lines of copper with orange shimmers....a dull bronze shade. A thin bubbly off white head is erected and leaves a little clingy lace as I drink. The aroma is very nice. Perfect blend of juicy sweet malts and yeastiness and caramel candies. The taste extrapolates on these flavors. This beer has a juicy malt center which everything else revolves around....the nice yeastiness....the sweet caramel characteristics....the light peat smokiness. It's a nice combo. The mouthfeel is agreeable and the body is about medium-full. Pretty good scotch ale.

4.03/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle

A: Brown caramel color with about an finger of head. Very malty look.

S: Smoky with some hops, not a lot of scotch but still pleasant.

T: This was difficult to review; I really enjoy the taste, but there is next to no scotch flavor to this beer. It's a great smoky flavor with lots of malt, and thus would have been really high if not categorized as a scotch ale.

M/D: Super smooth and drinkable, I could throw this back all day.

Appearance: Into a tulip, it pours a nice 2 finger head that recedes quickly. Not much for lacing.

Smell: Grains and scotch come through here the most for me. Also a bit of dark chocolate on the nose.

Taste: Light bit of dark chocolate, light scotch, light caramel. Light in all tastes, but somehow, very smooth and tasty.

Mouthfeel: Silky Smooth with some light carbonation.

Drinkability: This reminds me of a lighter version of SkullSplitter scotch ale. That isn't a bad thing, however, as the drinkability is great.

3.98/5  rDev +19.9%

Into a pint glass, pours an alarmingly light shade of amber caramel brown, a nice head that shrinks to a thin film, just bit of lacing here and there. The aroma is pretty solid, nice fruity hints of berries and cherries and fainter peaty earthiness, nicely malty, decent but fairly stock for the style.

The taste is a little better, but just not enough umph that it needs. As I first looked at it, looked like there wouldn't be enough malt, and I was right. The body is decent, a little over medium, nice carbonation, and there is a fair amount of peaty malty goodness, but I'm a bit underwhelmed. Its good, mind you, just want more. But could I drink a case of this in a sitting? You betcha!

3.98/5  rDev +19.9%

12oz brown bottle

Brau Brothers Scotch Ale was orange-brown in color and a little hazy. It had an off-white head with decent retention with a little lacing. The aroma was malty with some dried fruit. The taste was a little sweet upfront, malty, and fruity with a semi-sweet, malty finish. It was medium bodied with plenty of carbonation. It was a good scotch ale and worth a try.

3.93/5  rDev +18.4%

This one poured a murky copper/orange with a good head that stuck pretty well.

The caramel malts were at the forefront in the nose. Sweet and sour fruit notes: citrus hops and well ripened fruit. More toasted bready malts and substantial smokyness followed.

Taste was very earthy. Smoky throughout, sweet and sour maltiness and a definite fruit presence. Well-masked alcohol and a bready finish.

Body was pretty light and a bit but not overly watery. Nice bite and a slight dry finish.

Pretty easy to drink for a scotch, maybe not completely typical to the style but that doesn't bother me.I think it is the best of the Brau Bros that I have tried.

3.93/5  rDev +18.4%

Pours a dusky medium-copper in color. Clear, but with what appears to be suspended yeast. Pale creamy-tan head lingers nicely, as does the lacing. Vegetal nose, with broad hints of peated malts . . . smokey. Apart from the peat and smoke, there's a somewhat nondescript malt profile, with vaguely fruity notes. Rather sweet and fruity on the first sip, with berry (strawberry) notes preceding the smoke/peat kick. Mild (and somewhat vague, etc) maltiness lingers along with the smoke and berry. Dry finish. Some astringency on the tongue, along with some creaminess. Seems a little bit on the thin side, but by no means is it "too watery". It's clear that there's some chewy, boozy, weightyness to this one, yet it is quite drinkable and even session-able. I should hope to one day try this one on tap, and I sincerely look forward to that day. Meanwhile, I think I'll score a case of this for cellaring and stocking the firdge with!

Note: seeing as how I rated the first few Brau Brothers offerings rather a bit highly, I tried not to over-rate this one, but I'd say it's still the best of bunch so far.

3.93/5  rDev +18.4%

Murky crimson shade, under thin creamy head. Should look darker, though...

Sweet, malty nose, rich and fruity...cherries and berries and red licorice whips...strawberry jam...

Tast: it's all malt, in here, with just enough hop to keep the sweetness down a notch or two. Rosey and bright, but a bit thin. I keep wanting more to chew on...fairly medium bodied, sweet finish, lingers a bit.
Each time the lip meets the cup, though, the result is satisfaction. I look for a bit more in a scotch ale, but this is good, no doubt about it.

Tasty. I'd drink one again.

3.9/5  rDev +17.5%

Served on tap(at the Minnesota State Fair in a clear plastic cup), this pours a hazy mahogany hue, with a small white head that rapidly dissipates, leaving no head or lacing. The smell is fruity. The taste is rich in caramel malt as well as a sweet plum fruitiness. The mouthfeel is light and refreshing. This is a tasty treat and a pleasure to find at the great Minnesota get-together. I'll be back for more.

Reviewed on 7-28-10
Reviewed cold from a bottle to a glass

A - 1 finger of foam, good layer of froth after the foam dissipated, cloudy tan copper color but can see that there is carbonation bubbles present

S - Sweet roasted malts, some hops, slight caramel notes but lots of orange peel and apricot

T/M - Medium bodied, smooth taste to this brew

D - Pretty drinkable brew. Not one of my favorite styles but this brew helped turn my head. I would for sure have this brew again and I recommend it!

3.9/5  rDev +17.5%

Thanks to JeffKrenner for sending this my way for BC2!

Pours a very clear orange/copper, thick half inch head forms, off white, quickly settles to a thin ring, some lace spots. Smell insane malty, butterscotch, alcohol, smokey undertone, very rich, dates, hint of vanilla, more toffee, nice. Taste is super malty as well, very rich caramel, light smoke, vanilla, citrus, kind of a sourness in the finish, very smooth. Mouthfeel is full bodied, low carbonation, very silky smooth, nice touch of smoke. I enjoyed this! Thanks Jeff.

Tap at Stub and Herbs.

A - In snifter, a clear, copper/burgundy color with a small, khaki-colored head of foam. It left some thin rings of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled grassy and earthy with some good maltiness.

T - Very malty and sweet upon first sip. There is a mossy/grassy presence like all scotch ales have.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A light to medium bodied ale.

D - This was a nice scotch ale.

3.88/5  rDev +16.9%

Aroma notes a nice malt character with a bit of smoky quality. Bottles vary, as I've noted as least one had a strong (and annoying) vegetal scent. Otherwise little hops and nice.
Attractive mostly clear orange/brown amber. Minimal head that leaves quickly.
Tasty malty flavors that are initially strong, but taper towards end of drink. Nice sweetness up front and a bit of peat (smoke) in the middle, then to a pleasing malty dryness in a medium length finish. Minimal bitterness, but also not overly sweet.
A real slick feel with a lower carbonation holding some bite and sharpness. Moderate overall feel. In time this takes on a nice creaminess that leads to a satisfying quality.
Nice overall drink. Some inconsistency between bottles, but the best ones are tasty and enjoyable.

12 oz into a pint

A - Pours a deep dark brown color - dark enough to almost appear opaque. However, I see no hazing - clear texture. Head formation is light, 1mm of light sandy head.

S - A light amount of peat malts, other sugar sweet caramel and toffee are present as well.

T - Starts off with a light combination of scottish malts, peat, 2 row, some caramel and chocolate. Sweet dominates. Mid-stream gets more dry, some roasted flavors, still very malty. Finishes with a phenolic bite combined with more of those super smoked scotch malts.

M - Thick, creamy, clinging, cloying, like molasses. Carbonation is not very noticeable on the tongue. Finishes with a sugarly sweet film.

D - Moderate drinkability. Flavors are very smooth, well integrated, not overwhelming. ABV could sneak up on you - very well hidden. Not filling.

This beer moves to the top of my Brau Brothers list.

3.83/5  rDev +15.4%

Dark brown bodied brew, cream colored head leaves just a bit of lace. Nose is mainly dark malt, bits of chocolate. Lots of chocolate malt rounding out the taste, a little bitter hop but not much. Just a slight hint of alcohol, but the high volume is blended well. Pretty light mouth, fairly wet. Not a bad beer at all.

3.83/5  rDev +15.4%

Today's beer menu consists of a 12 ounce bottle of Scotch Ale form Brau Brothers. The bottle is labeled with a purple and white check pattern, an attractive design.

The beer, more importantly, pours a dark amber color with just a wisp of foam--a typical Scottish ale. The nose exudes aromas of sweet malt, caramel and the like, with a hint of alcohol. The beer slides along the palate a little easier than expected. Sweet malt, earthy figs and a dash of peaty smoke conspire to create the flavor profile. The beer finishes with a hint of bitterness and a little warmth. This is a solid brew by the southwestern MN Brau Bros. I enjoyed it all night while sitting by the glowing fireplace--both kept the chill of the late autumn MN air out.

3.8/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams pint glass.

Appearance: Dark and cloudy brownish orange with a small white head that fades into a patchy layer. Not much lacing.

Smell: Lots of malty sweetness with a nutty and smoked character. Caramel and toffee is mixed with hints of grassy hops.

Taste: Very malty and sweet up front from the caramel and toffee. Has a nutty and grassy taste throughout. Hints of earthy hops but the bitterness is very low.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation. Very crisp and smooth.

Overall: A solid version of a Scotch ale. Sweet but not overbearing.

3.8/5  rDev +14.5%

Brau Brothers Scotch Ale pours a hazy copper-brown color with an inch of white head which falls to a 1/8 inch cap with some lacing.

The nose is dominated by sweet malt with a note of smokiness.

The taste is sweet, but with a roasted character and a hint of smoke.

Mouthfeel is full-bodied coating the tongue and sides of my mouth as I savor it.

Perhaps a bit sweet for my liking, this beer is complex and flavorful. One to savor. I think a sharp cheese would pair well.

Scotch Ale from Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC