Scotch Ale - Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC

Minnesota, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  7.30% ABV

Beer added by: bucko on 03-14-2007

1.3/5  rDev -60.4%

well this one couldn't wait to get out of the bottle! as soon as i cracked it open, it gushed quite unexpectedly all over the place.

after getting the contents under contol, it poured out a dark and murky brilliant amber colour, with a huge meringue-like head that shows no sign of receding. chunky lace adorns the glass. aroma of caramel tinged maltiness with a hint of peat smoke. well, upon tasting, i now know now why the gushing...the first sip brings on a sour apple taste. infected bottle! horrible tasting. another bottle the same thing. went to the sink, cracked open the entire six pack, every one gushed and they all were horribly tainted. drain poured the entire sixer.

ugh. bad beer. feel bad giving a bad review. three of four beers i've tried from brau brothers have been disappointments, but this one was due to infection. i'll be contacting the brau brothers about this one.

1.38/5  rDev -57.9%

Muddy, ruddy dark amber with a finger of gauzy, clingy, light beige head. Scorched caramel stands alone amid freshly-unwrapped bandaids and funky vegetables. Taste is all fusels and bandaids with skunky vegetables. Some malty sweetness around the edge shows what this beer was intended to be. This bottle is bad, and it's not from mishandling. Blech. I'll have to try this again some other time.

1.68/5  rDev -48.8%

this is a vile beer. it looks good enough, and has decent aroma but has terribly unbalanced flavour. too much malt sweetness. tastes somewhat like you're drinking carbonated molasses. as with all brau bros beers that i've tried there is no body to it whatsoever. drink it on a dare or buy it for someone you don't like.

2.06/5  rDev -37.2%

Appearance: Pours a clearish, copper-orange body with a large, fizzy white head.

Smell: Spoiled fruit juice with a hint of peat -- all very un-scotch ale-ish.

Taste: Light caramel maltiness. Off-putting lactic tart character and a taste of rotted fruits. Hint of smokey peat.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin, lifeless body.

Drinkability: I stuck by this beer all the way to the very last drop. I dunno why I had to do that, but I did. It never improved and remains a rather poor scotch ale.

2.24/5  rDev -31.7%

A - Very nice, pours a smoldering amber color with a healthy two finger head, that wont go away entirely.

S - Pretty mild, with a sort of musty/moldy smell, not that appealing.

T - Tastes pretty good, nice smokiness and lots of malt flavor, low hop bitterness.

M - Full bodied and smooth, feels good all the way down.

D - Its a fine beer, but there isn't a lot going on here. I could drink more of them, but I don't really want to.

Like all the other Brau Brothers beers I have had this one has some flavors that seem to me like they are undesirable, and it makes me wonder if they were going for this flavor profile or if that's just kinda how it turned out. I will keep looking for Brau beer, because its important to support local breweries and I want them to be good soooo bad.

2.29/5  rDev -30.2%

The third and last Brau Brothers beer that I brought home. The first two were disappointments, but this is one of their beers that I have heard positive things about, so I am looking forward to this.

With a hard pour into my pilsner glass it builds about 1/2 a finger of head that quickly disappears. The beer is orangeish amber hue with slight cloudiness to the beer. A little lighter in color than I would expect.

The smell is of caramel and malt, great sign for a scotch ale. I don't get any hops on the nose. I can tell this will be sweet.

The taste confirms the nose. It has a candyish sweetness to it. Caramel, toffee and sugar. Not a lot of depth to this beer, it is rather thin, but that makes it a easier to drink. I think with the sweetness present in this beer that if it was thicker it may render it undrinkable.

Rather weak for a scotch ale. Thin and too sweet for my tastebuds. Sadly this is another disappointment for me from Brau Brothers. Three strikes and you're out. I am going to have to hear of some recipe changes before I try them again.

2.37/5  rDev -27.7%

Very light caramel colored for a wee heavy. Clean clear look. Pours with a minute white head that fades quickly into oblivion.

Not an abundance of happenings in the nose. A caramel backbone with with candied apple and pear, and slight hopping aromas and peat.

Much more peaty in the mouth. An almost sour apple flavor and maybe some diacetyl dominate the palate. Finish is smokey peat. Not sure what is going on with this beer. Very odd. Thin all the way through but thickens on the finish. Don't think I'd drink more than half of one.

2.44/5  rDev -25.6%

Poured from a bottle into a tall pilsner glass.

Pours a little lighter than the bottle which carried it. Head lasts for a little over a minute. Smells as it tastes, smokey and sweet, almost like barbecue sauce with some chipotle spice. Lingering flavor. Mouthfeel is thicker and oilier than I thought it would be from the pour. Lightly carbonated.

This one is hard to finish. Maybe it's the style, maybe it's the brewer. It's heavy and not very tasty. From what I've heard and read about this brewer, I shouldn't give up on them completely because a month from now, I could buy the same thing and absolutely love it. Maybe that's some of this brewer's charm. At any rate, I wish them all the best.

2.6/5  rDev -20.7%

I was not impressed with this beer. Even after hearing good things about it, I have to admit the first whiff had the smell of sour meat. Then the flavor was overwhelmingly smoky - and I am a fan of rachbiers - but this tasted almost as if they simply added liquid smoke to beer. All in all, however, it almost worked - not near as bad as my smoke/sour meat analysis might initially sound. I was able to finish it, but it's probably not anything I'd buy again.

2.68/5  rDev -18.3%

Got this brew on a trip to IA. Let's give it a go. 12oz bottle...

A: Pours like a light iced tea. More brown with orange highlights. Tiny off white head that quickly fades to a lace atop the brew. Decent.

S: hmm, hard to get some good scents. What I do get is kind of a metallic apple cider blended with some cinnamon. Ok.

T: Oh no, too weird of a blend of flavors for this style. Kind of tastes like a super roasty porter. Starts out with a strange ashtray-like flavors quickly followed by heavy watery roastiness. Faint hints of some citrus. Upfront is very burnt coffee beans. Eh.

M: Medium body that leaves a very roasty scent on your palate. Decent.

D: Drinks a lot harder because of the strange blend. Nope.

All in all, no way. I will not buy this brew again. It does not seem like it should fall into the scotch ale category. More like a poor porter. Don't try, don't hunt, don't worry about this one.

2.7/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle courtesy of Oakbluff: Poured a medium copper color ale with a medium foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma is slightly sour which may indicate a small infection with some notes of caramel malt. Taste is dominated by lightly sweet caramel malt with no other discernable characteristics. Body is somewhat thin with a weird oily texture and no hint of peat malt. Overall, I thought this was quite bland.

2.7/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Cloudy brown color with no head or lacing. The smell is not very strong either. Some malt, perhaps a little scotchish.... The taste has a strong scotch flavour and really nothing else. (without the flavour the beer would have completely missed the mark)

The beer is flat and has a medium body. It is not really hard to get down, but the carbonation aspect is a huge blow. Drinkability is pretty shitty.

2.71/5  rDev -17.4%

A-pours a burnt copper color with a dirty white head, thinner and bubbly.

S-the nose has a light meaty note, hints of smoke, tin, burnt toffee and mild sweetness.

T-lots of smoked meat in the taste, burnt toffee, sweet caramel and light berry sweetness. hints of earthy hops very light in the back.

M-syrupy body with a thin finish and fair amount of carbonation.

D-more smokey than I was hoping for and for the style. messy malt flavors and a thin body make this below average.

2.72/5  rDev -17.1%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Hazy reddish-orange with minimal head and a mostly dead look.

Smell: Sweet caramel and peat malts. Maybe a touch of floral hops.

Taste: Extremely strange combination of sweet caramel, medicinal cherry and unusually sharp and smoky peat. It is not a good carbonation.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium body, strange finish which I can't describe.

Drinkability: This is my third Brau Brothers beer. The other two (Sheephead, Ring Neck) were fantastic. This is just poorly made.

2.78/5  rDev -15.2%

Bottle courtesy of BigDank in a fairly recent trade. Opened and shared on 2/3/10.

A: The pour is a clear, light golden color with a thin layer of off-white foam which quickly dissipates.

S: The nose is almost non-existent. Light malt sweetness with perhaps a touch of fruit (banana, perhaps).

T: The flavor is a slight improvement offering up some detectable flavors. The beer is fairly sweet and malty with a light touch of fruits and a mild peat character.

M: The body was a bit thin and light for a Wee Heavy, but not necessarily watery. The carbonation is moderate.

D: Overall, a pretty "meh" beer. While Wee Heavies are not a style I necessarily seek out, I enjoy a good one, and this doesn't fit that description.

2.82/5  rDev -14%

Orange to gold in color. Fruity and fresh nose that is pleasant. Light foam head after being poured into a pint glass. Sweet and malty attack. The maltiness carries through the flavor but the finish is somewhat odd. The aftertaste lingers in the mouth a long while and isnt' really all that enjoyable for me. It seems to come on a bit too strong at the finish and ruined what would otherwise have been a good beer.

2.88/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured into Sam Adams Sensory Glass

Color is a dark caramel brown. Pours 1 finger of slight tan head. Fades to a thin layer quickly. No lace left on the glass.

Aroma: an intertesting take on a scotch ale. Aroma seems to be kind of smokey with a caramel malt backbone. It kind of has a sour hint to it as well.

Taste: Big malt profile. Some are roasted and taste smokey. Caramel notes as well. There seems to be some kind of fruit in there. Maybe some apples that are rotten. Something isn't right with this scotch ale.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and a little crisp from the high amount of carbonation. Medium bodied. Ends with the sour rotten apple aftertaste, fairly clean though.

Overall, not my favorite scotch ale or beer from brau brothers for that matter. I won;t be buying this one again and I will be lucky if I can even finish this one.

I am trying to pair this beer with something and peanut butter toast seems to work...

2.91/5  rDev -11.3%

A-Hazy but brilliant amber...nice little head on top

S-Sweet...worty again....almost a hint of BO (Body odor)...bready and yeasty...mild notes of caramel....and finally a nice little hit of peatiness...not bad except for the overriding BO every time I take a sip..

T-Pretty tasty...sweet..the peatiness is evident and assertive...mingles with a little caramel and bread...solid taste..

M-Lower carbonation but not down right flat like a couple of their other offerings...body is light for a wee heavy...slick in the mouth...almost an oversweet sensation..

D-This is definitely the best of the three I have had so far....they did a nice job with the peaty qualities....still it is far from great and I'd barely rate it average if that..there is just a weird off taste and aroma to these beers from this brewery...Nothing I would look to drink again unless given to me.

Presentation: bottle from France 44 poured into a pint glass

A: dull copper color or brown, very hazy, with some bright copper around the edges when held to the light; barely off white head with tiny bubbles that fell very quickly.

S: slight toasted sweet mailt in nose, caramel light but present; no smoke but a hint of pint, earthiness; moderate hop spice or a pepperyness that seems off for the style; some fruity esters.

T: solid malty spine with a strong peat wallop and some smoke; sharp carbonic bite and more spice; very dry bitter finish with a metallic kick; flavor is strong and bitter as well.

M: watery mouthfeel for the style, but some body present.

D: ok, but harshenss lingers on middle and back of tongue, and lowers the enjoyment of the beer.

Overall: I'm surprised with this one. I thought I'd like it better based on a sample I had on site last year. At the time, I remembered it being one of the better beers I had that day, but I don't seem to like it out of the bottle compared to the draft sample. Maybe I just didn't have enough before or the bottling changed the taste a bit and highlighted some features I'm not crazy about. Still not bad, but I won't go too far out of my way for it, though I do want to do it on a full draft for comparison--good enough to give it that shot.

3.05/5  rDev -7%

Pours light brown-copper. Very tea like in appearance. Head is initially slight, and quickly disappears completely with almost no carbonation - adding to the tea impression.

Aroma is minerally caramel malt. Light fruit, and a touch of peat.

Taste is more pronounced than the mild nose led me to expect. Toffee, caramel, and brown sugar sweetness up front. Smokey peat with a pleasant woody, nutty quality. Finishes with a minerally character, dark fruit and a bit of earthy hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium bodied. Could use a little more viscosity.

Overall a very mild version of a scotch ale. Needs a thicker feel and bolder flavor. Malt is far too subdued, and the nose left me searching. Still, nothing terrible here, just very mild.

3.12/5  rDev -4.9%

a: pours a golden maroon color with about an inch and a half of ivory head that doesnt dissapear too fast and leaves a good amount of lacing
s: sweet caramel malts really dominate the nose on this one kind of a smoky peat aroma as well
t: rich sweet caramel malts dominate the flavor, a lot of sweetness, i cant taste any hop notes or alcohol in the flavor
m: medium bodied beer with a decent amount of carbonation

oveall, this is a drinkable beer bu i dont think that i will buy another

3.14/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A hard pour produces an utterly flat surface. Signs of life are hardly noticeable - tiny bubbles exist only for the time of the swirl and the outer trim is negligible. The colour is an odd one for a scotch ale - a hazy copper with flashy yellow highlighting. Does not look anything the part.

The smell is very sweet. The malts give out a small dose of toffee with hints of peat, smoke, and oak - now this is more to character! Oddly, however, it also seems to be ramped with notes of field berries - blackberries, blueberries, strawberry, etc. While I do very much like it, I wonder where it's coming from and have to note the overwhelming artificial character it carries with it.

The carbonation is rather high which does nothing to compliment the (modestly hidden) 7.3% The aftertaste is weak but senses stale like wet cardboard.

The flavours, too, seem very artificial. The malt profile really isn't as bold as it should be. I certainly do taste hints of peet, smoke, and oak that combine to make for a taste I'd imagine one might otherwise receive from licking an ashtray. It is, quite frankly, assaulting.

Very little about this seemed to indicate 'scotch ale'. The colour was off, the malt was absent, the body was more artificial than it was hefty. I'm seeing this more as a half decent malt liquor and accordingly, of course I need to thank Viggo for the bottle!

3.15/5  rDev -4%

I was very excited to try this one out, maybe it just didn't live up to my expectations. The color was a little on the pale side of amber and I was immediately hit by a smell of alcohol. Upon tasting, the first thing I noticed was alcohol. After that, spices and very little hops (which, to me, is a good thing). The alcohol flavor was overpowering and detracted from the brew. The mouthfeel was too thin. Drinkability was on the low side of average due to the alcohol overpowering all else.

3.23/5  rDev -1.5%

Bottle poured into a Russian River tulip. Beer is brown with a slight haze and medium head of small bubbles. Carbonation low and lacing is low. Head doesn't stick around long.

Aroma is a little peaty and smoky. Mild malt, smells OK.

Smoke. This is the dominant flavor here, it is very rauch-y. A little hard to drink. I think I've figured out finally what I like about smoke beers when I have them, if they don't finish dry they are good, if they finish dry it is just too much for my palate. This was OK but too dry for my tastes.

3.33/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A- Nice dark orange in color with a tan head that left lacing

S- Caramel malts, bread yeast and a sweet almost banana scent

T- Initially sweet caramel, followed by a kick of smokiness that mostly takes over and mild bitterness

M- Medium bodied, moderate carbonation

D- I didn't really care for this ale, but I think it would be perfect with some bbq. I don't really want to be to harsh on this because I think it has potential in the right situation with food, but otherwise I won't be drinking it.

Scotch Ale from Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC