Sheephead Ale - Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC

Sheephead AleSheephead Ale

good

Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC visit their website
Minnesota, United States

(Beer added by: morimech on 03-26-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next › last »
4.45/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a cloudy burnt orange color. The head is two inches in height, and recedes into a thick cap of lacing that leaves foam all over the glass. The aroma is of citrus, grapefruit, pine resin, and some nice floral notes. This is a very aromatic APA. The taste leans more toward the pine and floral aspects with a firm lingering bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lively carbonation, and a velvety texture. Overall, this is a very good beer on the border between APA and IPA. I really like that the hop bill seems to consist of more the just Centennial and Cascade. I like those hops, but it seems that every brewer is using nothing but them in their hoppy beers. Sheep Head is a refreshing change, and I would love to see it take the place of Brau Brother's regular APA.

KarlHungus, Apr 19, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into New Belgium Globe Glass.

I honestly don't think this is a APA. I'll explain in my review.

Pours a 1 finger slightly tan head. Good retention, slightly splattered lacing. Color is a dark golden copper.

Aroma has an amazing floral/pine hops, like an IPA. Some musk to it as well as sweet sugar malts.

Taste very weird as compared the the smell. Doesn't taste like an IPA. The smell is a lot better. Carmel and floral hops. Reminds me of an ESB, not a pale ale. There is also alcohol in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is refreshingly bitter. Very smooth going down. Leaves a mouth full of hops.

Overall, I thought it was an IPA from the smell, then I tasted it and didn't think it fit the style, thought about it and figured it could be an ESB, not an APA. Hard to rate this beer, because I do not know what the real style is.

mothman, Apr 12, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Clear amber, good head and lacing.

Smell: Caramel, a little citrus.

Taste: Pretty balanced pale ale, caramel sweetness and a mix of earthy bitter hops.

Drinkability: Could be a session if I wasn't looking for bitterness.

I thought this was a balanced pale ale, not exactly the bitter monster described on the label. Not a lot of citrus bitterness, more earthy to my palate. A pretty good beer.

Mdog, Apr 07, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +12.8%

Been waiting to try this for a couple weeks now, my friend DerrickBerg came over, and we thought it was a perfect time to try it out.

With a decently aggressive pour it yielded a 1.5 finger off white head which dissipated at a medium to slow rate, but never fully dissipates. Clear caramel-amber in color with a good amount of carbonation coming up. Lots of lacing, a full wall of bubbles are left on my glass side.

Smells very nice. I smell malt, hops, and subtle citrus notes in the background.

Taste consists a lot of malts, with a bitter hop background. The malt taste settles into a slightly roasted malt aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is good. Medium carbonation, medium bodied.

Easy to drink, very tasty, and well balanced.

Overall a really good beer. The label is misleading, not quite as hoppy and bitter as it claims, but that doesn't deter from how good it is. I recomend this beer!

ThePeskyDingo, Apr 02, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +10.1%

The latest in the Brau Brothers Single Batch Series. Pours a clear amber color with two fingers of white head that has good retention. The head settles to a thin cap. Heavy lacing is left on the glass. The aroma consists of biscuit and toasted malt with some citrus, grass, and earthy hop aroma. Has a strong malt flavor foundation. The hops add a complimentory grassy and spicy flavor and moderate bitterness. Not nearly as hoppy and bitter as I was led to believe. Carbonation is present without being overbearing. Has a nice texture. I liked the malt profile in this beer. A nice APA that I would drink again.

morimech, Mar 26, 2009