Moo Joos - Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

I picked up a bottle of Brau Brothers Moo Joos a couple weeks ago for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. Brau Brothers just showed up in my area and since I've never had any beers from them I thought i would give them a try and I decided to start with their Milk Stout, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's kind of bland looking, but it has some nice information on it. It poured a very dark brown color that bordered on being black with two fingers worth of slightly darker tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some nice spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer and it looks true to style, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some dark roasted malt aromas with some coffee and chocolate coming through in the background. Up next comes a sweet and creamy lactose like aroma followed by a light amount of fruity yeast This beer had a pretty good aroma that was very true to style, I liked it.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some nice dark roasted malts with some chocolate flavors sticking out the most . Up next comes some sweet and creamy lactose like flavors followed by a light bit of fruity yeast. On the finish there's a lighter amount of bitterness followed by a roasted malt and chocolate like aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer, I liked it and I thought it was very true to style.

M- Smooth, creamy, a little dry, on the thick side of being medium bodied with a low amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was very nice, true to style, and it worked very well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a pretty good and true example of the style, it had everything that I look for in this style and I would put it just about on the same level as Left Hands Milk Stout. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, creamy, and the flavors did a good job at holding my attention, I think I could drink a few of these without getting bored with it. What I liked the most about this beer was how true to style it was, this pretty much the definition of a Milk Stout. What I like the least about this beer was nothing, there isn't anything that I would change. I would for sure buy this again and keep some around in the fridge and I would like to try it on Nitro. I would highly recommend this to anyone who likes the style. All in all I was happy with this beer and I thought it had no weak points. This made for a good first impression for the Brau Brother's and I'll have to be on the look out for more of their beers, good job guys.

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%