Bancreagie Peated Scotch Ale - Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC

to view more.
Ratings: 207 | Reviews: 69
Reviews by Snow81:
2.14/5  rDev -40.7%

My review of this beer disappeared, so here it is again. This beer looks great and tastes awful. I love the deep amber, nearly but not quite ruby color that reminds me of glowing embers in a fire place. This was my first experience with peated malt and I absolutely hate it. Like licking a band-aid soaked in medicine.

3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

A- Pours clear amber with one finger of tan head. Head has decent retention and leaves a small amount of lacing.

S - Pleasant caramel malt aromas with hints of peat and faint smoke.

T - Taste is similar to smell with the addition of a nice hop presence. Almost drinks a bit more like a hoppy amber ale than a scotch ale. There is a bit of alcohol present in the taste.

M - Medium mouthfeel, slightly sticky. Has decent creaminess.

O - I enjoyed this one. Not as heavy and a little hoppier than most scotch ales, I still liked this for what it was.

3.3/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Decent scotch ale. Not sure if it is just my bottles or if it is always this way, but there seemed to be a little funk to it. Especially in the nose. Tastes pretty good, I don't always like peated scotch ales, but I'm not having any problems finishing these off. Nice lacing and mild head retention.

There are better scotch ales out there, but this is worth trying...

3.85/5  rDev +6.6%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Amber-brown with nice sized off-white head and light lacing.

Smell: Peat, toffee, and dark fruit. Simple but pretty nice.

Taste: Strong smoky peat over a layer of semi-sweet malts. Toffee, caramel, dark fruit, cherry and floral hops all play a nicely balanced role. Well, at least it is nicely balanced other than the peat.

Feel: Moderately low carbonation, medium body. Finish isn't quite dry enough for me.

Overall: Very nice Scotch Ale. I like the peat focus, but wish that just a few more of those residual sugars had been gobbled up. Light years better than the old Brau Brothers Scotch Ale.

3.93/5  rDev +8.9%

Bancreagie Peated Scotch Ale pours clean, brilliant reddish chestnut, under a 1” off-white foam cap that is moderately persistent. On the nose is roast barley, a dash of peat smoke, malt spice and a suspicion of fruit. Smoke and banana emerge more on the palate with kettle sugars and a dash of caramel. The beer is smooth with a medium full body and moderate carbonation.

3.05/5  rDev -15.5%

I only tasted one Scotch Ale before and that was Scotch Silly, which was a wonderful sweet Belgian brewed ale that tasted like a great Tripel too me. I loved it.

So I looked forward to tasting this Minnesota Scotch Ale. You betcha! Little smoke on the opening but not much. However, my tan head was glorious, sustaining thick, creamy, and with lacing. Lovely dark reddish murky brew. I sat the glass in the sun and we had almost a brownish swampy look. I like that, you betcha.

Smell was fine. I never rate the scent too heavily. But this was strong clean and nice. 4.5! Real good, then.

Now the taste was full, strong, complex, impressive and flavorful. Sound good to you? Well, ya got that right. However, it was a bit too bitter for me. I thought the malts tasted like they were roasted to a near burnt and bitter flavor.. I also thought it was full of hop flavored. I tasted a little sweetness and malts upfront but the bitter finish and hop flavored soon took over and finished the beer. I think IPA lovers would really dig this. I don't like IPAs sorry. Smooth enough beer.

Overall a quality beer, ya know. I suppose it pretty authentic to a Scot's Scotch Ale, you betcha.

I would drink this brew to some Ryan Kisor trumpet sounds, you know, like the sounds on his cd Power Source. Ok now. I guess I'm done here then.

3.51/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This one is copper-hued light brown with a brightness along with a slight opacity, though it's mostly transparent. The head, slightly darker than tan, is compact but keeps itself together well and leaves pretty good deposits of lacing behind it.
There's earth on the nose with a bit of smoke, and the peat doesn't show as strongly as I'd expect at first but builds up. There's some caramel malt, a hint of char, and some fruity esters sneaking through.
The peat builds up quickly on the palate, and I'm about halfway through when it gets fatiguing. It has a good malt base, though it's a little light and thin for a Wee Heavy, and support from caramel and wood helps. The peat does become somewhat overwhelming, though, and the fruity esters combine for a bit of tang.
As with the flavor, the feel is too light and thin for a Wee Heavy. It's a bit thin regardless, and only the carbonation gives it crispness. This causes a lack of real flow or depth. While fairly smooth, it goes flat at the end.

6-pack bought from Four Firkins in St. Louis Park, MN.

Poured from a 12 oz. brown longneck bottle into a bowl glass.

Appearance: Clear deep brown color with amber tint. Cream colored creamy one finger foam head that receded quickly and left a little lacing on the sides.

Smell: Sweet and malty with a subtle hint of peat smoke and a slight whiff of alcohol. Nice and malty. Love the light smoke underneath the malt.

Taste: Sweet malts, smooth, no bitterness at all and the subtle underlying peat smoke. As a peaty and smoky Scotch whisky drinker (Islay scotches are my favorites), I love the subtle peat smoke flavor in this beer. Very nice. Better than I expected. The flavors are a little more prominent as this beer warms...so don't serve it ice cold.

Mouth Feel: Medium-bodied with creamy carbonation. Feels slick and creamy on the tongue.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. The extra peat smoke adds a dimension to this Scotch Ale that takes it a notch above others. Love that sweet and smoky malt flavor in this one. Will definitely buy this one again and store it for Fall/Winter. But I'll enjoy what I have now for Spring.

3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

A: Medium brown with a slight amber tint; small but steady tan head; bubbly with decent lacing

S: Somewhat subdued aroma but what is there is musty, grassy, and earthy with some subtle smokey undertones as well as sweet roasted malts

T: Much more flavors in the taste than in the aromas: smokey, grainy, musty, grassy, even some meats and whiskey flavors; malty but not too sweet

F: Medium body with a pleasant creaminess

O: A very nice peated Scottish style ale; I wish there was a little more punch in the aroma but that is one of the few dings here; nice beer

I'm not a big Scotch Ale fan. Usually the burnt aftertaste gets old for me fast. However, this one really did it for me. The carbonation kept it lively, and the sweet taste did not linger too long. The alcohol level seemed right for this beer. I'm going to have to seek out more Brau Brothers offerings.

3.64/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A - very hazy swampy brown, half finger of head retained at a thin cover
S - medium smoky earthy peat, mild caramel, grainy with a touch of greens
T - peat is earthy funky than smokey, some caramel and dark fruit, mild grains and grassy hops, finishes with a minerally thing
M - a little on the thin side, although this has been sitting several months, a little sticky towards the finish
O - not a bad offering but not really notable within the style

3.57/5  rDev -1.1%

Big thanks goes out to MBrausen for sending me this one! Shared with caSSino and the NoDa Brewing crew! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured red-orange with a minimal off-white head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, caramel, peat, caramel hop, and wood. The flavor was of sweet malt, caramel, peat, wood, and spices. It had a light feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. Nothing on this one really stood out to me if I am honest. The peat character was definitely there, but it was not very pronounced as one might expect based on the name of the brew. It did go down pretty smooth however, which was nice to say. Worth trying if you see, but not worth seeking out.

3.62/5  rDev +0.3%

An aggressive pour resulted in just a thin head that quickly settled to a thin film. Just a few spots of lacing are left on the glass during consumption. The color is a dark amber that is very clear.

Aroma is grassy and floral. Not exactly what I was expecting. Some fruity esters are evident as well.

The flavor is different from the aroma. The peat comes through nicely. The earthiness is complimented by some smoke. Some caramel rounds out the malt. Fruity esters also make an appearance.

The body is just a touch too thin or it is undercarbonated that is making it feel watery.

A Scottish Ale that has some uniqueness. More carbonation would definately improve this beer.

2.93/5  rDev -18.8%

poured an attractive brick red color, and required a full center pour for a head that didn't last. Some lacing.
Generally this beer was a good, malty Scotch ale, except for the "peat" flavor. Having drunk and thoroughly enjoyed oaked and smoked beers, and Islay single malt whiskeys, I have to say that this beer didn't taste "earthy," as should be expected. What I had hoped to be a malty, earthy beer, to me tasted metallic with a chemical after taste.

4.75/5  rDev +31.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

good beer. i like it

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - It has a burnt orange body with amber highlights. It is topped with three inches of tan head that clings to the sides of the glass.

S - At first I smelled some tea and caramel malt. Then the smoky peat came through.

T - The taste is smoky caramel. It has a similarity of a rauchbier.

M - Medium

O - I like the smokiness of this beer. The sweet malt accentuates the smoke. It's worth a try.

3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy red amber color with a small layer of off white head. The head quickly fades to a ring around the edge of the pour.

Smell: Sweet malt with some dark fruit and mild smoke. I'm definitely picking up some peat in the mix too.

Taste: Quite smooth. Lots of dark fruit malt, but the overall taste isn't too sweet. The peat is there, but it doesn't dominate everything. Some smoke and the finish is sweet with a touch of peat.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with smooth carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I thought this one was quite interesting. Lots of depth and complexity. I would have another.

3.63/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle

A- Coppery red, almost like a copper honey. Light lacing and very little bubbels

S- Carmel malt, a clean light fruit similar to pear and light peat.

T- Starts kind of sweet fruit and caramel roast, then immediately to medium+ peat and smoke that take over the rest, but leaves a surprisingly clean earthy finish

M- Light to Medium, light on the bubbles.

O- Not my typical style but I found it good with the bbq tri-tip for dinner. The smoke really comes on in the middle but finishes nice. Decent beer imo

3.61/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to kjyost for this one.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle, no freshness info.

Appearance: Amber colored body, ecru colored head, good retention, zig zag lacing left behind.

Smell: Very peaty, can smell it from a few feet away, sweet with some smoke.

Taste: Not as strong as aroma, elements are there with less smoke, some caramel, bit of meat mixed with the general peatiness.

Mouthfeel: Starts weak, like as if malt were diluted, gets a bit more robust in the finish.

Overall: Decent enough, packs a malty punch but average scotch ale.

3.46/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Attractive red/amber hue with a thin white head. Nice clarity although retention is not great.
S: Bold caramel malt with some underlying peat and fruity yeast.
T: Starts off with sweet, with apple/pear flavors, a moment of caramel and then moves to a heavy peated flavor. The peat smokyness is overpowering and prolonged, carrying from middle through the slightly dry finish. Peat is heavy to the degree that it is somewhat difficult to appreciate the other flavors.
M: Medium-bodied with soft carbonation. Well done.
The makings of a nice beer are here, but the peat is overdone for my preferences. I have enjoyed most Brau beers up to this point, but will probably skip past this one in the future.

3.81/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Produced a thin layer of off white head. The beer color is a semi-translucent cinnamon brown.

The aroma is of burnt sugar, wheat bread , caramel, and an earthy smell, which must be the peat.

The taste was similar. A slight hop bitterness. medium bodied, with a little sticky consistency. medium carbonation.

Very nice beer, and fairly easy drinking.

3.49/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Opaque caramel brown body with a couple nondescript off-white bubbles on top despite a vigorous pour.

Aroma: Cocoa powder, caramel, alcohol, syrup.

Taste: What starts as a light caramel flavor suddenly turns quite peaty near the finish. The smokey character is pretty much all I can taste after the first few sips. I'm not sure that it goes all that well with the overall flavor of the beer. The peated malt takes too much of the focus away from some of the aromas that I was hoping to taste. Oddly enough though, I find myself going for another sip of this beer. It's unique enough to be worth a few tries and is an interesting change of pace from the usual Scotch Ale. The mid-range 7.6% ABV doesn't come through in the flavor but it's presence is definitely felt about halfway through. Aftertaste is very light smoke with dry cocoa undertones.

Mouthfeel: Much lighter than I was expecting at about medium in body. The high level of carbonation may be to blame as it seems to lighten the weight up a bit. Surprisingly the drinkability is pretty good here.

Final Thoughts: As I mull over the last few sips of Brau Brothers Bancreagie, I'm torn on a rating. Though it has grown on me, the lack of any real complexity leaves me a little underwhelmed. I think as a one-off or seasonal release it would be worth having a bottle or two but I don't understand it's year-round status. Would I drink it again? Maybe an oak-aged version.

3.31/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured into a 14-ounce tumbler. Effusive, almost uncontrollable head rose up out of the glass. Perhaps fermentation wasn't complete or conditioning was excessive, but the beer has way to much effervescence. Head is rocky, persistent. Brew is amber, slightly cloudy.

Malt and peat oils predominate in the smell. Nice aroma for the type. Taste is slightly sour, with a big malt presence and obvious alcohol.

Overall, a nice try except for the foam. I almost had to keep it from shooting out of the bottle when I opened it. Not right.

3.57/5  rDev -1.1%

This will be my first Scotch Ale, and my first experience with peated malts. Here goes.

Poured into a Libbey 'Belgian' glass, 1.5 finger head, nice amber, rosey gold color, quite clear.

The smell is pretty intriguing - earthy smoke, raisins, nuttiness, leather...

Taste, ok, this is a little different. I can sort of see why some people aren't fans of this, but I am happy to enjoy this glass - I'm getting tobacco, leather, smoke - all those notes that are usually found in heavier brews but this one's pretty light on the palate. Unique.

Nothing spectacular happening with the mouthfeel.

Good brew! Worth trying for a certainty, maybe you'll choose to pass if you've got a number of wee heavies under your belt already but I think this is a solid first for me. I like it, but I don't see myself running back to the liquor store to pick up a sixer. I'll call this a 3.5 - the perfect 'good'.

4.12/5  rDev +14.1%

Haven't met many Braus I don't like and this is a mighty fine Scotch.

Poured a brilliant reddish brown into a snifter that allowed me to breathe in the deliciously sweet malts. A hint of the burntish peat. It's amazing! Taste is spot on and is that of sweet dark malts with touch of deep roasted barley.

Very drinkable. I bought a sixer and could sit here and drink them all. Very good job.

to view more.