Bancreagie Peated Scotch Ale - Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC

good

Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  7.60% ABV

(Beer added by: jera1350 on 03-05-2011)
Reviews by drop6301:

DaftPatrick

03-08-2014 02:00:16 | More by DaftPatrick
warnerry

3.9/5  rDev +8.9%

A- Pours clear amber with one finger of tan head. Head has decent retention and leaves a small amount of lacing.

S - Pleasant caramel malt aromas with hints of peat and faint smoke.

T - Taste is similar to smell with the addition of a nice hop presence. Almost drinks a bit more like a hoppy amber ale than a scotch ale. There is a bit of alcohol present in the taste.

M - Medium mouthfeel, slightly sticky. Has decent creaminess.

O - I enjoyed this one. Not as heavy and a little hoppier than most scotch ales, I still liked this for what it was.

09-09-2011 22:20:33 | More by warnerry
Mugenlude

Wisconsin

12-05-2013 03:52:15 | More by Mugenlude
sm0key

3.34/5  rDev -6.7%

Decent scotch ale. Not sure if it is just my bottles or if it is always this way, but there seemed to be a little funk to it. Especially in the nose. Tastes pretty good, I don't always like peated scotch ales, but I'm not having any problems finishing these off. Nice lacing and mild head retention.

There are better scotch ales out there, but this is worth trying...

05-22-2013 03:21:04 | More by sm0key
bsp77

3.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Amber-brown with nice sized off-white head and light lacing.

Smell: Peat, toffee, and dark fruit. Simple but pretty nice.

Taste: Strong smoky peat over a layer of semi-sweet malts. Toffee, caramel, dark fruit, cherry and floral hops all play a nicely balanced role. Well, at least it is nicely balanced other than the peat.

Feel: Moderately low carbonation, medium body. Finish isn't quite dry enough for me.

Overall: Very nice Scotch Ale. I like the peat focus, but wish that just a few more of those residual sugars had been gobbled up. Light years better than the old Brau Brothers Scotch Ale.

07-27-2012 23:52:25 | More by bsp77
NilocRellim

09-29-2012 04:02:55 | More by NilocRellim
schoon

Iowa

10-14-2013 01:22:35 | More by schoon
frankiepop

2.93/5  rDev -18.2%

I only tasted one Scotch Ale before and that was Scotch Silly, which was a wonderful sweet Belgian brewed ale that tasted like a great Tripel too me. I loved it.

So I looked forward to tasting this Minnesota Scotch Ale. You betcha! Little smoke on the opening but not much. However, my tan head was glorious, sustaining thick, creamy, and with lacing. Lovely dark reddish murky brew. I sat the glass in the sun and we had almost a brownish swampy look. I like that, you betcha.

Smell was fine. I never rate the scent too heavily. But this was strong clean and nice. 4.5! Real good, then.

Now the taste was full, strong, complex, impressive and flavorful. Sound good to you? Well, ya got that right. However, it was a bit too bitter for me. I thought the malts tasted like they were roasted to a near burnt and bitter flavor.. I also thought it was full of hop flavored. I tasted a little sweetness and malts upfront but the bitter finish and hop flavored soon took over and finished the beer. I think IPA lovers would really dig this. I don't like IPAs sorry. Smooth enough beer.

Overall a quality beer, ya know. I suppose it pretty authentic to a Scot's Scotch Ale, you betcha.

I would drink this brew to some Ryan Kisor trumpet sounds, you know, like the sounds on his cd Power Source. Ok now. I guess I'm done here then.

04-02-2012 00:33:51 | More by frankiepop

New Mexico

07-14-2014 00:57:47 | More by LXIXME
Brenden

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

This one is copper-hued light brown with a brightness along with a slight opacity, though it's mostly transparent. The head, slightly darker than tan, is compact but keeps itself together well and leaves pretty good deposits of lacing behind it.
There's earth on the nose with a bit of smoke, and the peat doesn't show as strongly as I'd expect at first but builds up. There's some caramel malt, a hint of char, and some fruity esters sneaking through.
The peat builds up quickly on the palate, and I'm about halfway through when it gets fatiguing. It has a good malt base, though it's a little light and thin for a Wee Heavy, and support from caramel and wood helps. The peat does become somewhat overwhelming, though, and the fruity esters combine for a bit of tang.
As with the flavor, the feel is too light and thin for a Wee Heavy. It's a bit thin regardless, and only the carbonation gives it crispness. This causes a lack of real flow or depth. While fairly smooth, it goes flat at the end.

12-23-2013 16:32:52 | More by Brenden
Shawner

03-02-2014 21:20:46 | More by Shawner
KrittyKratz

07-19-2014 15:15:12 | More by KrittyKratz
LeeW

03-04-2014 19:09:54 | More by LeeW
ChopperSmith

6-pack bought from Four Firkins in St. Louis Park, MN.

Poured from a 12 oz. brown longneck bottle into a bowl glass.

Appearance: Clear deep brown color with amber tint. Cream colored creamy one finger foam head that receded quickly and left a little lacing on the sides.

Smell: Sweet and malty with a subtle hint of peat smoke and a slight whiff of alcohol. Nice and malty. Love the light smoke underneath the malt.

Taste: Sweet malts, smooth, no bitterness at all and the subtle underlying peat smoke. As a peaty and smoky Scotch whisky drinker (Islay scotches are my favorites), I love the subtle peat smoke flavor in this beer. Very nice. Better than I expected. The flavors are a little more prominent as this beer warms...so don't serve it ice cold.

Mouth Feel: Medium-bodied with creamy carbonation. Feels slick and creamy on the tongue.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. The extra peat smoke adds a dimension to this Scotch Ale that takes it a notch above others. Love that sweet and smoky malt flavor in this one. Will definitely buy this one again and store it for Fall/Winter. But I'll enjoy what I have now for Spring.

04-17-2011 18:58:30 | More by ChopperSmith
Oboogie

12-23-2011 05:59:53 | More by Oboogie
Snow81

04-10-2014 20:02:00 | More by Snow81
dbossman

Nebraska

3.9/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Medium brown with a slight amber tint; small but steady tan head; bubbly with decent lacing

S: Somewhat subdued aroma but what is there is musty, grassy, and earthy with some subtle smokey undertones as well as sweet roasted malts

T: Much more flavors in the taste than in the aromas: smokey, grainy, musty, grassy, even some meats and whiskey flavors; malty but not too sweet

F: Medium body with a pleasant creaminess

O: A very nice peated Scottish style ale; I wish there was a little more punch in the aroma but that is one of the few dings here; nice beer

11-17-2011 01:34:00 | More by dbossman
barongearmu

12-20-2012 23:25:58 | More by barongearmu
Jazz1

Iowa

I'm not a big Scotch Ale fan. Usually the burnt aftertaste gets old for me fast. However, this one really did it for me. The carbonation kept it lively, and the sweet taste did not linger too long. The alcohol level seemed right for this beer. I'm going to have to seek out more Brau Brothers offerings.

04-01-2011 23:22:55 | More by Jazz1