Bancreagie Peated Scotch Ale - Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  7.60% ABV

Beer added by: jera1350 on 03-05-2011

Ratings: 210 | Reviews: 70
2.14/5  rDev -40.7%

My review of this beer disappeared, so here it is again. This beer looks great and tastes awful. I love the deep amber, nearly but not quite ruby color that reminds me of glowing embers in a fire place. This was my first experience with peated malt and I absolutely hate it. Like licking a band-aid soaked in medicine.

2.7/5  rDev -25.2%

Bit of a disappointment from Brau Brothers. The appearance is a dark amber/light brown with a little head and no lacing. The smell is decent smoky peat aroma. The taste is kind of tart and tannic. Not very nice, nor particular of a Scotch/Scottish ale. I like the idea of a peated ale like this, but this needs more malt to make it work.

2.92/5  rDev -19.1%

Pour shows little head, fades to a still looking body that is a nice reddish amber hue.
The peat i was expecting to get from this is really mild overall and i dont think too much for people who don't like peat. roasted caramel malts.
Flavor wise this is a bit smoked malts, a light peat note that is pleasent, i could actually like it a bit stronger myself, some caramel toasted malt.
The body is a bit thin for what i would want in the style, bring up the body a bit by adding a bit more peat and roasted/caramel malts and this would be really good i think, just a bit light for me, but it does make it very approachable.

2.93/5  rDev -18.8%

poured an attractive brick red color, and required a full center pour for a head that didn't last. Some lacing.
Generally this beer was a good, malty Scotch ale, except for the "peat" flavor. Having drunk and thoroughly enjoyed oaked and smoked beers, and Islay single malt whiskeys, I have to say that this beer didn't taste "earthy," as should be expected. What I had hoped to be a malty, earthy beer, to me tasted metallic with a chemical after taste.

3.05/5  rDev -15.5%

I only tasted one Scotch Ale before and that was Scotch Silly, which was a wonderful sweet Belgian brewed ale that tasted like a great Tripel too me. I loved it.

So I looked forward to tasting this Minnesota Scotch Ale. You betcha! Little smoke on the opening but not much. However, my tan head was glorious, sustaining thick, creamy, and with lacing. Lovely dark reddish murky brew. I sat the glass in the sun and we had almost a brownish swampy look. I like that, you betcha.

Smell was fine. I never rate the scent too heavily. But this was strong clean and nice. 4.5! Real good, then.

Now the taste was full, strong, complex, impressive and flavorful. Sound good to you? Well, ya got that right. However, it was a bit too bitter for me. I thought the malts tasted like they were roasted to a near burnt and bitter flavor.. I also thought it was full of hop flavored. I tasted a little sweetness and malts upfront but the bitter finish and hop flavored soon took over and finished the beer. I think IPA lovers would really dig this. I don't like IPAs sorry. Smooth enough beer.

Overall a quality beer, ya know. I suppose it pretty authentic to a Scot's Scotch Ale, you betcha.

I would drink this brew to some Ryan Kisor trumpet sounds, you know, like the sounds on his cd Power Source. Ok now. I guess I'm done here then.

3.06/5  rDev -15.2%

12oz bottle with no date. most nondescript packaging ive seen in a while

look is a cloudy copper haze with almost no head. smell is faint caramel malts and some spicy scottish stuff goin down. low carbonation, medium feel. taste is light for 7%, with some powdery malts and english hops, finish has some roast to it. aftertaste has a plastic taste, almost like sweet latex.

mostly inoffensive, deceptively strong, not my cup of tea

3.12/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

No freshness dating.

A= Pours a nice rich deep amber honey color with a thin off white head that hold some decent retention despite the size.

S= The smell is a little strange. Less smokey than I expected with a lot of sweetness. A little weak on the aroma.

T= The taste is much more powerful. A nice smoke hits you up front with a little sweetness to back it up a little. The taste is much more powerful than the nose but it is still a little watery.

M= A little watery.

O= This is a solid beer. A nice smoky beer at a reasonable price. Works well but it's not the beast scotch ale I've had.

3.18/5  rDev -11.9%

I poured this into a footed "porter" glass.

Appearance- A ruddy copper. Cloudy. Head is average, off-white and short-lasting. Lacing is spare.

Aroma- Light peat, caramel malt.

Flavor- I got big peat at first taste. In your face big. After the 4-5 swallow, it fades into the background. I get caramel/toffee, cherry, surprisingly a bit of spruce.

Mouthfeel- full with soft carbonation. Silky.

This one takes a bit, but it's nice and interesting after you get adjusted to the peatiness. As a big fan of peated scotches from Islay, much like those, it grows on me.

3.24/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured into my Schell's shaker pint, Bancreagie Peated Scotch Ale is a ruddy brown with an off-white head that leaves very light lace.

Smell is smokey, loads of peat, a hint of sweet malt, candi light.
Taste is pretty strait forward, this one is all about the peat, a little sweet Scottish malt, but not particularly interesting. The alcohol creeps through as some diacetyl. Both of their scottish ales are similar, lacking depth.

Mouthfeel is somewhat crisp and dry.

Drinkability is okay, but not something I'd revisit a lot, too abrasive.

3.27/5  rDev -9.4%

Great Scott!

Appearance (3.75) : Pillowy, tight knit head with some larger bubbles on top. Rests at about 1 finger. Body is iced tea colored and mostly opaque.

Smell (3.25) : Aroma is of spice, cinnamon, rice, liquid smoke, and some rubbing alcohol. The bouquet is very loud. The rubbing alcohol unfortunately comes out on top as the most dominant smell, with everything else underneath.

Taste (3.25) : Strong alcoholic malt notes with a heavy hop profile. The malt and hops play tag with each other and they do a yin-yang thing on the palate. Bitter barley is what I would call it. Almost a vienna lager type taste. I get some coffee notes in there very faintly...dirty grounds. Bitter kidney bean. The dude nailed it when he said a band-aid soaked in medicine. Quite crude, but I laughed because it is so accurate. Ends smooth.

Mouthfeel (3.5) : Creamy, crisp, smooth. Ends a bit milky on the palate.

Overall (3.27) : My first Peated Scottish Ale. I don't think it's bad, but I wouldn't buy it again. It's just not my type of beer. With that being said, it's drinkable, but the strong alcohol presence really turns me off, especially at only 7.6% ABV. I'm drain-pouring this one unfortunately.

3.3/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Decent scotch ale. Not sure if it is just my bottles or if it is always this way, but there seemed to be a little funk to it. Especially in the nose. Tastes pretty good, I don't always like peated scotch ales, but I'm not having any problems finishing these off. Nice lacing and mild head retention.

There are better scotch ales out there, but this is worth trying...

3.31/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured into a 14-ounce tumbler. Effusive, almost uncontrollable head rose up out of the glass. Perhaps fermentation wasn't complete or conditioning was excessive, but the beer has way to much effervescence. Head is rocky, persistent. Brew is amber, slightly cloudy.

Malt and peat oils predominate in the smell. Nice aroma for the type. Taste is slightly sour, with a big malt presence and obvious alcohol.

Overall, a nice try except for the foam. I almost had to keep it from shooting out of the bottle when I opened it. Not right.

3.37/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This is one fruity scotch ale.
I poured the bottle with a slightly rough effort, but still barely any head.
Smell- I first noticed some cooked carrot aroma. Thankfully that didn't ruin everything. I noticed more of a cherry aroma, mixed with a little fruit leather. The smoke only whispers in the background as kind of a sweet hickory aroma.
Taste- very fruity again. I detect some distinct cantaloupe at the beginning, then a non linear transition to leather, cherry, raisin, and cooked pear. The flavors stand out, but the integrated experience is weakened by a touch of butter and poor carbonation. Not a boring beer though!
Mouthfeel- the carbonation is barely there and what is there is large rough bubbles. But the body is great. This beer shows some great progress for this company. Moo Joos and sheepshead are good stuff. This beer, I think, could use a revision, especially when it comes to carbonation. I like the fruitiness but some darker tones or less crystal malts could go a long way.

3.4/5  rDev -5.8%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass. Solid finger of bubbly, beige head sitting over a dark reddish-brown body. Great retention but minimal lacing.

Aroma is intensely malty. Somewhat smoky, a healthy dose of caramel/toffee, and burnt malts. Bit of molasses and earthy yeasts and slightly floral.

Aroma is significantly peatier than the nose. Very malt-forward, although not as much as in the nose, but a very sweet aftertaste.

For a malty ale with this much alcohol content, the body is very thin and oily. Fairly low carbonation.

Overall, I'm just not terribly impressed. Not offensive by any means, but nothing special either.

3.42/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours a beige head. Color is a copper amber.

Aroma: peat and smokey malts. Caramel. Kind of a muted nose.

Taste: a lot of smokey malts and peat flavors. Very bready and malty. Some pepper spice.

Mouthfeel: smokey and spiced. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends dry.

Overall, a decent scotch. A nice amount of spice that I didn't expect. Okay drinkability.

3.42/5  rDev -5.3%

Reddish brown color with very little head which fades immediately. The aroma has caramel malt, light smoke, and peat. While the smell is not very strong, it smells like it should be fairly sweet.

The taste is sweet with caramel malt, very light smoke, and peat. There is also some diacetyl present, as there is a bit of a butterscotch flavor which I did not pick up from the aroma.

Medium to light bodied with low carbonation. The mouthfeel on this beer could use quite a bit of work. Not bad overall, but I am not sure I would seek it out again.

3.45/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

According to the label, Bancreagie is the named after the granite that creates the aquifer from which the water for the beer comes from in Lucan. The rest of the label basically says they are trying to make an authentic Scottish ale. Off white head bubbles up high when I tip the glass a bit too hard for the last bit of beer, which settles into a light lace. Amber to copper all in the glass with highlights around the edge. Definite smoky peat in the nose over top of lots of malt, some hop and a mineral smell. Light and airy in the mouth, peat isn't as strong as the nose would suggest. Strong caramel and burnt biscuit. Not a lot off the back--somewhat disappears. Not a bad beer, but I'm not a huge fan at this point. Happy to drink this one but unlikely to get a six pack.

3.46/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Attractive red/amber hue with a thin white head. Nice clarity although retention is not great.
S: Bold caramel malt with some underlying peat and fruity yeast.
T: Starts off with sweet, with apple/pear flavors, a moment of caramel and then moves to a heavy peated flavor. The peat smokyness is overpowering and prolonged, carrying from middle through the slightly dry finish. Peat is heavy to the degree that it is somewhat difficult to appreciate the other flavors.
M: Medium-bodied with soft carbonation. Well done.
The makings of a nice beer are here, but the peat is overdone for my preferences. I have enjoyed most Brau beers up to this point, but will probably skip past this one in the future.

3.49/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Opaque caramel brown body with a couple nondescript off-white bubbles on top despite a vigorous pour.

Aroma: Cocoa powder, caramel, alcohol, syrup.

Taste: What starts as a light caramel flavor suddenly turns quite peaty near the finish. The smokey character is pretty much all I can taste after the first few sips. I'm not sure that it goes all that well with the overall flavor of the beer. The peated malt takes too much of the focus away from some of the aromas that I was hoping to taste. Oddly enough though, I find myself going for another sip of this beer. It's unique enough to be worth a few tries and is an interesting change of pace from the usual Scotch Ale. The mid-range 7.6% ABV doesn't come through in the flavor but it's presence is definitely felt about halfway through. Aftertaste is very light smoke with dry cocoa undertones.

Mouthfeel: Much lighter than I was expecting at about medium in body. The high level of carbonation may be to blame as it seems to lighten the weight up a bit. Surprisingly the drinkability is pretty good here.

Final Thoughts: As I mull over the last few sips of Brau Brothers Bancreagie, I'm torn on a rating. Though it has grown on me, the lack of any real complexity leaves me a little underwhelmed. I think as a one-off or seasonal release it would be worth having a bottle or two but I don't understand it's year-round status. Would I drink it again? Maybe an oak-aged version.

3.51/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This one is copper-hued light brown with a brightness along with a slight opacity, though it's mostly transparent. The head, slightly darker than tan, is compact but keeps itself together well and leaves pretty good deposits of lacing behind it.
There's earth on the nose with a bit of smoke, and the peat doesn't show as strongly as I'd expect at first but builds up. There's some caramel malt, a hint of char, and some fruity esters sneaking through.
The peat builds up quickly on the palate, and I'm about halfway through when it gets fatiguing. It has a good malt base, though it's a little light and thin for a Wee Heavy, and support from caramel and wood helps. The peat does become somewhat overwhelming, though, and the fruity esters combine for a bit of tang.
As with the flavor, the feel is too light and thin for a Wee Heavy. It's a bit thin regardless, and only the carbonation gives it crispness. This causes a lack of real flow or depth. While fairly smooth, it goes flat at the end.

3.52/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampling right now on 6/27/14. From the Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC in Lucan, Minnesota (Population 220). Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a brandy snifter glass.

Pours a hazy deep amber in color with a smaller off-white head. LOTS of lacing is seen when sipped that first leaves rings then slowly slides back down. Lots going on with the aroma and there is hints of caramel, medium roasted malts, with slight herbal and yeast. Even more going on with the taste with a nutty and dark fruit at the end with a slight tangy finish with a touch of smoke. Overall, it was decent. It's a 'sipper' and not a 'chugger' brew though.

3.54/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured into a pint glass

A. A deep amber color with a fingers worth of head that stick around.

S. it smells very earthy with a little smoke on the finish. Something very sweet comes through as well.

T. A very earthy flavor, wet grass, followed by some smokiness and the finish a has just a hint of bitterness.

M. It has a pretty light mouthfeel with some thing with such a smoky flavor.

O. Its not a favorite and I will probably not get it again I like the brewer just not this beer.

3.57/5  rDev -1.1%

Big thanks goes out to MBrausen for sending me this one! Shared with caSSino and the NoDa Brewing crew! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured red-orange with a minimal off-white head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, caramel, peat, caramel hop, and wood. The flavor was of sweet malt, caramel, peat, wood, and spices. It had a light feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. Nothing on this one really stood out to me if I am honest. The peat character was definitely there, but it was not very pronounced as one might expect based on the name of the brew. It did go down pretty smooth however, which was nice to say. Worth trying if you see, but not worth seeking out.

3.57/5  rDev -1.1%

This will be my first Scotch Ale, and my first experience with peated malts. Here goes.

Poured into a Libbey 'Belgian' glass, 1.5 finger head, nice amber, rosey gold color, quite clear.

The smell is pretty intriguing - earthy smoke, raisins, nuttiness, leather...

Taste, ok, this is a little different. I can sort of see why some people aren't fans of this, but I am happy to enjoy this glass - I'm getting tobacco, leather, smoke - all those notes that are usually found in heavier brews but this one's pretty light on the palate. Unique.

Nothing spectacular happening with the mouthfeel.

Good brew! Worth trying for a certainty, maybe you'll choose to pass if you've got a number of wee heavies under your belt already but I think this is a solid first for me. I like it, but I don't see myself running back to the liquor store to pick up a sixer. I'll call this a 3.5 - the perfect 'good'.

3.61/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to kjyost for this one.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle, no freshness info.

Appearance: Amber colored body, ecru colored head, good retention, zig zag lacing left behind.

Smell: Very peaty, can smell it from a few feet away, sweet with some smoke.

Taste: Not as strong as aroma, elements are there with less smoke, some caramel, bit of meat mixed with the general peatiness.

Mouthfeel: Starts weak, like as if malt were diluted, gets a bit more robust in the finish.

Overall: Decent enough, packs a malty punch but average scotch ale.

Bancreagie Peated Scotch Ale from Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC