Bancreagie Peated Scotch Ale - Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC

good

Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  7.60% ABV

(Beer added by: jera1350 on 03-05-2011)
1.5/5  rDev -58.2%

2.08/5  rDev -42.1%

My review of this beer disappeared, so here it is again. This beer looks great and tastes awful. I love the deep amber, nearly but not quite ruby color that reminds me of glowing embers in a fire place. This was my first experience with peated malt and I absolutely hate it. Like licking a band-aid soaked in medicine.

2.68/5  rDev -25.3%

Bit of a disappointment from Brau Brothers. The appearance is a dark amber/light brown with a little head and no lacing. The smell is decent smoky peat aroma. The taste is kind of tart and tannic. Not very nice, nor particular of a Scotch/Scottish ale. I like the idea of a peated ale like this, but this needs more malt to make it work.

2.85/5  rDev -20.6%

poured an attractive brick red color, and required a full center pour for a head that didn't last. Some lacing.
Generally this beer was a good, malty Scotch ale, except for the "peat" flavor. Having drunk and thoroughly enjoyed oaked and smoked beers, and Islay single malt whiskeys, I have to say that this beer didn't taste "earthy," as should be expected. What I had hoped to be a malty, earthy beer, to me tasted metallic with a chemical after taste.

2.93/5  rDev -18.4%

I only tasted one Scotch Ale before and that was Scotch Silly, which was a wonderful sweet Belgian brewed ale that tasted like a great Tripel too me. I loved it.

So I looked forward to tasting this Minnesota Scotch Ale. You betcha! Little smoke on the opening but not much. However, my tan head was glorious, sustaining thick, creamy, and with lacing. Lovely dark reddish murky brew. I sat the glass in the sun and we had almost a brownish swampy look. I like that, you betcha.

Smell was fine. I never rate the scent too heavily. But this was strong clean and nice. 4.5! Real good, then.

Now the taste was full, strong, complex, impressive and flavorful. Sound good to you? Well, ya got that right. However, it was a bit too bitter for me. I thought the malts tasted like they were roasted to a near burnt and bitter flavor.. I also thought it was full of hop flavored. I tasted a little sweetness and malts upfront but the bitter finish and hop flavored soon took over and finished the beer. I think IPA lovers would really dig this. I don't like IPAs sorry. Smooth enough beer.

Overall a quality beer, ya know. I suppose it pretty authentic to a Scot's Scotch Ale, you betcha.

I would drink this brew to some Ryan Kisor trumpet sounds, you know, like the sounds on his cd Power Source. Ok now. I guess I'm done here then.

2.93/5  rDev -18.4%

Pour shows little head, fades to a still looking body that is a nice reddish amber hue.
The peat i was expecting to get from this is really mild overall and i dont think too much for people who don't like peat. roasted caramel malts.
Flavor wise this is a bit smoked malts, a light peat note that is pleasent, i could actually like it a bit stronger myself, some caramel toasted malt.
The body is a bit thin for what i would want in the style, bring up the body a bit by adding a bit more peat and roasted/caramel malts and this would be really good i think, just a bit light for me, but it does make it very approachable.

Bancreagie Peated Scotch Ale from Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC