2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bancreagie Peated Scotch Ale - Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC

Bancreagie Peated Scotch AleBancreagie Peated Scotch Ale

good

Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  7.60% ABV

(Beer added by: jera1350 on 03-05-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 151 | Reviews: 59 | Show All Ratings:
buschbeer

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - It has a burnt orange body with amber highlights. It is topped with three inches of tan head that clings to the sides of the glass.

S - At first I smelled some tea and caramel malt. Then the smoky peat came through.

T - The taste is smoky caramel. It has a similarity of a rauchbier.

M - Medium

O - I like the smokiness of this beer. The sweet malt accentuates the smoke. It's worth a try.

04-09-2014 22:37:03 | More by buschbeer
Hop-Droppen-Roll

3.55/5  rDev -0.8%

This will be my first Scotch Ale, and my first experience with peated malts. Here goes.

Poured into a Libbey 'Belgian' glass, 1.5 finger head, nice amber, rosey gold color, quite clear.

The smell is pretty intriguing - earthy smoke, raisins, nuttiness, leather...

Taste, ok, this is a little different. I can sort of see why some people aren't fans of this, but I am happy to enjoy this glass - I'm getting tobacco, leather, smoke - all those notes that are usually found in heavier brews but this one's pretty light on the palate. Unique.

Nothing spectacular happening with the mouthfeel.

Good brew! Worth trying for a certainty, maybe you'll choose to pass if you've got a number of wee heavies under your belt already but I think this is a solid first for me. I like it, but I don't see myself running back to the liquor store to pick up a sixer. I'll call this a 3.5 - the perfect 'good'.

01-24-2014 01:15:44 | More by Hop-Droppen-Roll
jimmah120

3.03/5  rDev -15.4%

12oz bottle with no date. most nondescript packaging ive seen in a while

look is a cloudy copper haze with almost no head. smell is faint caramel malts and some spicy scottish stuff goin down. low carbonation, medium feel. taste is light for 7%, with some powdery malts and english hops, finish has some roast to it. aftertaste has a plastic taste, almost like sweet latex.

mostly inoffensive, deceptively strong, not my cup of tea

01-16-2014 07:56:25 | More by jimmah120
pweis909

2.08/5  rDev -41.9%

My review of this beer disappeared, so here it is again. This beer looks great and tastes awful. I love the deep amber, nearly but not quite ruby color that reminds me of glowing embers in a fire place. This was my first experience with peated malt and I absolutely hate it. Like licking a band-aid soaked in medicine.

12-31-2013 13:18:54 | More by pweis909
Brenden

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This one is copper-hued light brown with a brightness along with a slight opacity, though it's mostly transparent. The head, slightly darker than tan, is compact but keeps itself together well and leaves pretty good deposits of lacing behind it.
There's earth on the nose with a bit of smoke, and the peat doesn't show as strongly as I'd expect at first but builds up. There's some caramel malt, a hint of char, and some fruity esters sneaking through.
The peat builds up quickly on the palate, and I'm about halfway through when it gets fatiguing. It has a good malt base, though it's a little light and thin for a Wee Heavy, and support from caramel and wood helps. The peat does become somewhat overwhelming, though, and the fruity esters combine for a bit of tang.
As with the flavor, the feel is too light and thin for a Wee Heavy. It's a bit thin regardless, and only the carbonation gives it crispness. This causes a lack of real flow or depth. While fairly smooth, it goes flat at the end.

12-23-2013 16:32:52 | More by Brenden
RoamingGnome

3.71/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Brau Brothers Bancreagie Peated Scotch Ale

From tasting notes... Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an imperial pint glass. Served chilled...

A) Copper colored brew. The head is minimal, but a dusting remained during consumption. No lacing noted.

S) Light roasted malt, caramel/toffee sweetness. A little smoke. Some earthy hops too.

T) I really enjoyed the flavors here, but it's worth noting, I didn't give it much of a chance to warm up. Toasted malt, nice sweetness, which was mostly caramel. Earthy hops give a balancing bitterness. The smoke and peat are present but not overly assertive. Well done...

M) Lighter than expected, not watery, but light bodied. The carbonation is pretty lively. Easy drinking... Nice aftertaste too...

O) I enjoyed this beer. In fact, I enjoyed it more than several of the more highly regarded Scotch Ales I've tried. Glad to recommend...

12-22-2013 14:06:42 | More by RoamingGnome
1Nrwyscotch

3.51/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured into a pint glass

A. A deep amber color with a fingers worth of head that stick around.

S. it smells very earthy with a little smoke on the finish. Something very sweet comes through as well.

T. A very earthy flavor, wet grass, followed by some smokiness and the finish a has just a hint of bitterness.

M. It has a pretty light mouthfeel with some thing with such a smoky flavor.

O. Its not a favorite and I will probably not get it again I like the brewer just not this beer.

10-28-2013 21:34:11 | More by 1Nrwyscotch
joemcgrath27

Alberta (Canada)

3.64/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A - very hazy swampy brown, half finger of head retained at a thin cover
S - medium smoky earthy peat, mild caramel, grainy with a touch of greens
T - peat is earthy funky than smokey, some caramel and dark fruit, mild grains and grassy hops, finishes with a minerally thing
M - a little on the thin side, although this has been sitting several months, a little sticky towards the finish
O - not a bad offering but not really notable within the style

10-02-2013 01:59:14 | More by joemcgrath27
JamesMN

3.49/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Opaque caramel brown body with a couple nondescript off-white bubbles on top despite a vigorous pour.

Aroma: Cocoa powder, caramel, alcohol, syrup.

Taste: What starts as a light caramel flavor suddenly turns quite peaty near the finish. The smokey character is pretty much all I can taste after the first few sips. I'm not sure that it goes all that well with the overall flavor of the beer. The peated malt takes too much of the focus away from some of the aromas that I was hoping to taste. Oddly enough though, I find myself going for another sip of this beer. It's unique enough to be worth a few tries and is an interesting change of pace from the usual Scotch Ale. The mid-range 7.6% ABV doesn't come through in the flavor but it's presence is definitely felt about halfway through. Aftertaste is very light smoke with dry cocoa undertones.

Mouthfeel: Much lighter than I was expecting at about medium in body. The high level of carbonation may be to blame as it seems to lighten the weight up a bit. Surprisingly the drinkability is pretty good here.

Final Thoughts: As I mull over the last few sips of Brau Brothers Bancreagie, I'm torn on a rating. Though it has grown on me, the lack of any real complexity leaves me a little underwhelmed. I think as a one-off or seasonal release it would be worth having a bottle or two but I don't understand it's year-round status. Would I drink it again? Maybe an oak-aged version.

09-11-2013 01:22:39 | More by JamesMN
Gryphon69

3.65/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle

A- Coppery red, almost like a copper honey. Light lacing and very little bubbels

S- Carmel malt, a clean light fruit similar to pear and light peat.

T- Starts kind of sweet fruit and caramel roast, then immediately to medium+ peat and smoke that take over the rest, but leaves a surprisingly clean earthy finish

M- Light to Medium, light on the bubbles.

O- Not my typical style but I found it good with the bbq tri-tip for dinner. The smoke really comes on in the middle but finishes nice. Decent beer imo

09-08-2013 01:37:49 | More by Gryphon69
jjanega08

3.15/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

No freshness dating.

A= Pours a nice rich deep amber honey color with a thin off white head that hold some decent retention despite the size.

S= The smell is a little strange. Less smokey than I expected with a lot of sweetness. A little weak on the aroma.

T= The taste is much more powerful. A nice smoke hits you up front with a little sweetness to back it up a little. The taste is much more powerful than the nose but it is still a little watery.

M= A little watery.

O= This is a solid beer. A nice smoky beer at a reasonable price. Works well but it's not the beast scotch ale I've had.

08-05-2013 23:02:25 | More by jjanega08
papat444

Quebec (Canada)

3.59/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to kjyost for this one.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle, no freshness info.

Appearance: Amber colored body, ecru colored head, good retention, zig zag lacing left behind.

Smell: Very peaty, can smell it from a few feet away, sweet with some smoke.

Taste: Not as strong as aroma, elements are there with less smoke, some caramel, bit of meat mixed with the general peatiness.

Mouthfeel: Starts weak, like as if malt were diluted, gets a bit more robust in the finish.

Overall: Decent enough, packs a malty punch but average scotch ale.

07-24-2013 22:22:37 | More by papat444
TCMike

3.8/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Produced a thin layer of off white head. The beer color is a semi-translucent cinnamon brown.

The aroma is of burnt sugar, wheat bread , caramel, and an earthy smell, which must be the peat.

The taste was similar. A slight hop bitterness. medium bodied, with a little sticky consistency. medium carbonation.

Very nice beer, and fairly easy drinking.

06-19-2013 22:05:56 | More by TCMike
sm0key

3.34/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Decent scotch ale. Not sure if it is just my bottles or if it is always this way, but there seemed to be a little funk to it. Especially in the nose. Tastes pretty good, I don't always like peated scotch ales, but I'm not having any problems finishing these off. Nice lacing and mild head retention.

There are better scotch ales out there, but this is worth trying...

05-22-2013 03:21:04 | More by sm0key
Hal9000

2.85/5  rDev -20.4%

poured an attractive brick red color, and required a full center pour for a head that didn't last. Some lacing.
Generally this beer was a good, malty Scotch ale, except for the "peat" flavor. Having drunk and thoroughly enjoyed oaked and smoked beers, and Islay single malt whiskeys, I have to say that this beer didn't taste "earthy," as should be expected. What I had hoped to be a malty, earthy beer, to me tasted metallic with a chemical after taste.

01-21-2013 03:04:31 | More by Hal9000
babayaga

Nebraska

3.23/5  rDev -9.8%

I poured this into a footed "porter" glass.

Appearance- A ruddy copper. Cloudy. Head is average, off-white and short-lasting. Lacing is spare.

Aroma- Light peat, caramel malt.

Flavor- I got big peat at first taste. In your face big. After the 4-5 swallow, it fades into the background. I get caramel/toffee, cherry, surprisingly a bit of spruce.

Mouthfeel- full with soft carbonation. Silky.

This one takes a bit, but it's nice and interesting after you get adjusted to the peatiness. As a big fan of peated scotches from Islay, much like those, it grows on me.

12-16-2012 22:32:23 | More by babayaga
andrenaline

Ontario (Canada)

3.98/5  rDev +11.2%

A - Pours a slightly hazy copper colour, thin layer of head with decent retention and some sporadic lacing.

S - Bold peat notes off the top, nice caramel undertones and leafy greens and peppery spice on the finish.

T - The smokey peat notes dominate with a solid caramel malt backbone. The peat notes linger alongside some leafy green hop notes and a light peppery finish.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and a touch of dryness.

O - A bold flavoured ale that boasts a solid smokey peat flavour profile. Easy drinking and nicely balanced. A tasty brew that represents the style nicely and is well worth seeking out.

12-02-2012 06:26:41 | More by andrenaline
MrGraybeard

3.33/5  rDev -7%

Poured into a 14-ounce tumbler. Effusive, almost uncontrollable head rose up out of the glass. Perhaps fermentation wasn't complete or conditioning was excessive, but the beer has way to much effervescence. Head is rocky, persistent. Brew is amber, slightly cloudy.

Malt and peat oils predominate in the smell. Nice aroma for the type. Taste is slightly sour, with a big malt presence and obvious alcohol.

Overall, a nice try except for the foam. I almost had to keep it from shooting out of the bottle when I opened it. Not right.

11-13-2012 07:12:07 | More by MrGraybeard
oline73

Maryland

3.9/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy red amber color with a small layer of off white head. The head quickly fades to a ring around the edge of the pour.

Smell: Sweet malt with some dark fruit and mild smoke. I'm definitely picking up some peat in the mix too.

Taste: Quite smooth. Lots of dark fruit malt, but the overall taste isn't too sweet. The peat is there, but it doesn't dominate everything. Some smoke and the finish is sweet with a touch of peat.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with smooth carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I thought this one was quite interesting. Lots of depth and complexity. I would have another.

10-08-2012 19:11:26 | More by oline73
bsp77

3.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Amber-brown with nice sized off-white head and light lacing.

Smell: Peat, toffee, and dark fruit. Simple but pretty nice.

Taste: Strong smoky peat over a layer of semi-sweet malts. Toffee, caramel, dark fruit, cherry and floral hops all play a nicely balanced role. Well, at least it is nicely balanced other than the peat.

Feel: Moderately low carbonation, medium body. Finish isn't quite dry enough for me.

Overall: Very nice Scotch Ale. I like the peat focus, but wish that just a few more of those residual sugars had been gobbled up. Light years better than the old Brau Brothers Scotch Ale.

07-27-2012 23:52:25 | More by bsp77
TwinButte

South Dakota

4.1/5  rDev +14.5%

Haven't met many Braus I don't like and this is a mighty fine Scotch.

Poured a brilliant reddish brown into a snifter that allowed me to breathe in the deliciously sweet malts. A hint of the burntish peat. It's amazing! Taste is spot on and is that of sweet dark malts with touch of deep roasted barley.

Very drinkable. I bought a sixer and could sit here and drink them all. Very good job.

04-14-2012 01:57:49 | More by TwinButte
frankiepop

2.93/5  rDev -18.2%

I only tasted one Scotch Ale before and that was Scotch Silly, which was a wonderful sweet Belgian brewed ale that tasted like a great Tripel too me. I loved it.

So I looked forward to tasting this Minnesota Scotch Ale. You betcha! Little smoke on the opening but not much. However, my tan head was glorious, sustaining thick, creamy, and with lacing. Lovely dark reddish murky brew. I sat the glass in the sun and we had almost a brownish swampy look. I like that, you betcha.

Smell was fine. I never rate the scent too heavily. But this was strong clean and nice. 4.5! Real good, then.

Now the taste was full, strong, complex, impressive and flavorful. Sound good to you? Well, ya got that right. However, it was a bit too bitter for me. I thought the malts tasted like they were roasted to a near burnt and bitter flavor.. I also thought it was full of hop flavored. I tasted a little sweetness and malts upfront but the bitter finish and hop flavored soon took over and finished the beer. I think IPA lovers would really dig this. I don't like IPAs sorry. Smooth enough beer.

Overall a quality beer, ya know. I suppose it pretty authentic to a Scot's Scotch Ale, you betcha.

I would drink this brew to some Ryan Kisor trumpet sounds, you know, like the sounds on his cd Power Source. Ok now. I guess I'm done here then.

04-02-2012 00:33:51 | More by frankiepop
ChadQuest

2.93/5  rDev -18.2%

Pour shows little head, fades to a still looking body that is a nice reddish amber hue.
The peat i was expecting to get from this is really mild overall and i dont think too much for people who don't like peat. roasted caramel malts.
Flavor wise this is a bit smoked malts, a light peat note that is pleasent, i could actually like it a bit stronger myself, some caramel toasted malt.
The body is a bit thin for what i would want in the style, bring up the body a bit by adding a bit more peat and roasted/caramel malts and this would be really good i think, just a bit light for me, but it does make it very approachable.

03-15-2012 02:12:09 | More by ChadQuest
TheQuietMan22

Iowa

3.95/5  rDev +10.3%

Serving type: 12-ounce bottle. A batch code is printed on the bottle just below the label, but there is no freshness date.

Appearance: Straight pour into a pint glass. The color is medium/deep caramel heading toward brown. A pathetic pour yielded pathetic head: one-finger of eggshell-colored head dissipated quickly to leave a thin skim and ring around the edge.

Smell: Very enticing sweet candy caramel and toffee. There is also cocoa, a little smoked malt, and something distinctly Scottish, which I suppose is peat.

Taste: It starts sweet with the caramel and toffee but then the smoked malts and peat take over, giving it a complex, deep, earthy essence that lingers on the back of the tongue and uvula.

Drinkability: Scotch in beer form. Needless to say, I like the beer form the best right now. Very solid, tasty, and drinkable brew.

03-10-2012 05:22:41 | More by TheQuietMan22
biglobo8971

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

poured from bottle in to pub glass.
A - dark in color, with slight golden tinge on the outside of the glass. Quite a bit of head at first pour, that dissapates quickly. Some lacing present.
S - Coyingly sweet smelling, with some roast and a little bit of toffee.
T - solid, nothing spectaculiar at first, solid made brew. This is not my favorite style, but I can tell this is a decent brew.
M - easy to drink, no issues. Nice carbonation.
O - Very solid brew, not one I would seek out, but it is one I appreciated drinking.

02-14-2012 23:39:17 | More by biglobo8971