Bancreagie Peated Scotch Ale - Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC

good

Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  7.60% ABV

(Beer added by: jera1350 on 03-05-2011)
3.55/5  rDev -0.8%

This will be my first Scotch Ale, and my first experience with peated malts. Here goes.

Poured into a Libbey 'Belgian' glass, 1.5 finger head, nice amber, rosey gold color, quite clear.

The smell is pretty intriguing - earthy smoke, raisins, nuttiness, leather...

Taste, ok, this is a little different. I can sort of see why some people aren't fans of this, but I am happy to enjoy this glass - I'm getting tobacco, leather, smoke - all those notes that are usually found in heavier brews but this one's pretty light on the palate. Unique.

Nothing spectacular happening with the mouthfeel.

Good brew! Worth trying for a certainty, maybe you'll choose to pass if you've got a number of wee heavies under your belt already but I think this is a solid first for me. I like it, but I don't see myself running back to the liquor store to pick up a sixer. I'll call this a 3.5 - the perfect 'good'.

3.03/5  rDev -15.4%

12oz bottle with no date. most nondescript packaging ive seen in a while

look is a cloudy copper haze with almost no head. smell is faint caramel malts and some spicy scottish stuff goin down. low carbonation, medium feel. taste is light for 7%, with some powdery malts and english hops, finish has some roast to it. aftertaste has a plastic taste, almost like sweet latex.

mostly inoffensive, deceptively strong, not my cup of tea

2.08/5  rDev -41.9%

My review of this beer disappeared, so here it is again. This beer looks great and tastes awful. I love the deep amber, nearly but not quite ruby color that reminds me of glowing embers in a fire place. This was my first experience with peated malt and I absolutely hate it. Like licking a band-aid soaked in medicine.

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This one is copper-hued light brown with a brightness along with a slight opacity, though it's mostly transparent. The head, slightly darker than tan, is compact but keeps itself together well and leaves pretty good deposits of lacing behind it.
There's earth on the nose with a bit of smoke, and the peat doesn't show as strongly as I'd expect at first but builds up. There's some caramel malt, a hint of char, and some fruity esters sneaking through.
The peat builds up quickly on the palate, and I'm about halfway through when it gets fatiguing. It has a good malt base, though it's a little light and thin for a Wee Heavy, and support from caramel and wood helps. The peat does become somewhat overwhelming, though, and the fruity esters combine for a bit of tang.
As with the flavor, the feel is too light and thin for a Wee Heavy. It's a bit thin regardless, and only the carbonation gives it crispness. This causes a lack of real flow or depth. While fairly smooth, it goes flat at the end.

3.71/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Brau Brothers Bancreagie Peated Scotch Ale

From tasting notes... Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an imperial pint glass. Served chilled...

A) Copper colored brew. The head is minimal, but a dusting remained during consumption. No lacing noted.

S) Light roasted malt, caramel/toffee sweetness. A little smoke. Some earthy hops too.

T) I really enjoyed the flavors here, but it's worth noting, I didn't give it much of a chance to warm up. Toasted malt, nice sweetness, which was mostly caramel. Earthy hops give a balancing bitterness. The smoke and peat are present but not overly assertive. Well done...

M) Lighter than expected, not watery, but light bodied. The carbonation is pretty lively. Easy drinking... Nice aftertaste too...

O) I enjoyed this beer. In fact, I enjoyed it more than several of the more highly regarded Scotch Ales I've tried. Glad to recommend...

3.51/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured into a pint glass

A. A deep amber color with a fingers worth of head that stick around.

S. it smells very earthy with a little smoke on the finish. Something very sweet comes through as well.

T. A very earthy flavor, wet grass, followed by some smokiness and the finish a has just a hint of bitterness.

M. It has a pretty light mouthfeel with some thing with such a smoky flavor.

O. Its not a favorite and I will probably not get it again I like the brewer just not this beer.

2.75/5  rDev -23.2%

3.64/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A - very hazy swampy brown, half finger of head retained at a thin cover
S - medium smoky earthy peat, mild caramel, grainy with a touch of greens
T - peat is earthy funky than smokey, some caramel and dark fruit, mild grains and grassy hops, finishes with a minerally thing
M - a little on the thin side, although this has been sitting several months, a little sticky towards the finish
O - not a bad offering but not really notable within the style

3.49/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Opaque caramel brown body with a couple nondescript off-white bubbles on top despite a vigorous pour.

Aroma: Cocoa powder, caramel, alcohol, syrup.

Taste: What starts as a light caramel flavor suddenly turns quite peaty near the finish. The smokey character is pretty much all I can taste after the first few sips. I'm not sure that it goes all that well with the overall flavor of the beer. The peated malt takes too much of the focus away from some of the aromas that I was hoping to taste. Oddly enough though, I find myself going for another sip of this beer. It's unique enough to be worth a few tries and is an interesting change of pace from the usual Scotch Ale. The mid-range 7.6% ABV doesn't come through in the flavor but it's presence is definitely felt about halfway through. Aftertaste is very light smoke with dry cocoa undertones.

Mouthfeel: Much lighter than I was expecting at about medium in body. The high level of carbonation may be to blame as it seems to lighten the weight up a bit. Surprisingly the drinkability is pretty good here.

Final Thoughts: As I mull over the last few sips of Brau Brothers Bancreagie, I'm torn on a rating. Though it has grown on me, the lack of any real complexity leaves me a little underwhelmed. I think as a one-off or seasonal release it would be worth having a bottle or two but I don't understand it's year-round status. Would I drink it again? Maybe an oak-aged version.

3.65/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle

A- Coppery red, almost like a copper honey. Light lacing and very little bubbels

S- Carmel malt, a clean light fruit similar to pear and light peat.

T- Starts kind of sweet fruit and caramel roast, then immediately to medium+ peat and smoke that take over the rest, but leaves a surprisingly clean earthy finish

M- Light to Medium, light on the bubbles.

O- Not my typical style but I found it good with the bbq tri-tip for dinner. The smoke really comes on in the middle but finishes nice. Decent beer imo

Bancreagie Peated Scotch Ale from Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC