Bancreagie Peated Scotch Ale - Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  7.60% ABV

Beer added by: jera1350 on 03-05-2011

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

3.57/5  rDev -0.8%

This will be my first Scotch Ale, and my first experience with peated malts. Here goes.

Poured into a Libbey 'Belgian' glass, 1.5 finger head, nice amber, rosey gold color, quite clear.

The smell is pretty intriguing - earthy smoke, raisins, nuttiness, leather...

Taste, ok, this is a little different. I can sort of see why some people aren't fans of this, but I am happy to enjoy this glass - I'm getting tobacco, leather, smoke - all those notes that are usually found in heavier brews but this one's pretty light on the palate. Unique.

Nothing spectacular happening with the mouthfeel.

Good brew! Worth trying for a certainty, maybe you'll choose to pass if you've got a number of wee heavies under your belt already but I think this is a solid first for me. I like it, but I don't see myself running back to the liquor store to pick up a sixer. I'll call this a 3.5 - the perfect 'good'.

3.06/5  rDev -15%

12oz bottle with no date. most nondescript packaging ive seen in a while

look is a cloudy copper haze with almost no head. smell is faint caramel malts and some spicy scottish stuff goin down. low carbonation, medium feel. taste is light for 7%, with some powdery malts and english hops, finish has some roast to it. aftertaste has a plastic taste, almost like sweet latex.

mostly inoffensive, deceptively strong, not my cup of tea

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

2.14/5  rDev -40.6%

My review of this beer disappeared, so here it is again. This beer looks great and tastes awful. I love the deep amber, nearly but not quite ruby color that reminds me of glowing embers in a fire place. This was my first experience with peated malt and I absolutely hate it. Like licking a band-aid soaked in medicine.

3.51/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This one is copper-hued light brown with a brightness along with a slight opacity, though it's mostly transparent. The head, slightly darker than tan, is compact but keeps itself together well and leaves pretty good deposits of lacing behind it.
There's earth on the nose with a bit of smoke, and the peat doesn't show as strongly as I'd expect at first but builds up. There's some caramel malt, a hint of char, and some fruity esters sneaking through.
The peat builds up quickly on the palate, and I'm about halfway through when it gets fatiguing. It has a good malt base, though it's a little light and thin for a Wee Heavy, and support from caramel and wood helps. The peat does become somewhat overwhelming, though, and the fruity esters combine for a bit of tang.
As with the flavor, the feel is too light and thin for a Wee Heavy. It's a bit thin regardless, and only the carbonation gives it crispness. This causes a lack of real flow or depth. While fairly smooth, it goes flat at the end.

3.71/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Brau Brothers Bancreagie Peated Scotch Ale

From tasting notes... Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an imperial pint glass. Served chilled...

A) Copper colored brew. The head is minimal, but a dusting remained during consumption. No lacing noted.

S) Light roasted malt, caramel/toffee sweetness. A little smoke. Some earthy hops too.

T) I really enjoyed the flavors here, but it's worth noting, I didn't give it much of a chance to warm up. Toasted malt, nice sweetness, which was mostly caramel. Earthy hops give a balancing bitterness. The smoke and peat are present but not overly assertive. Well done...

M) Lighter than expected, not watery, but light bodied. The carbonation is pretty lively. Easy drinking... Nice aftertaste too...

O) I enjoyed this beer. In fact, I enjoyed it more than several of the more highly regarded Scotch Ales I've tried. Glad to recommend...

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%