Ivan The Great - Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC

Ivan The GreatIvan The Great

Brau Brothers Brewing Co. LLC visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Ungertaker on 01-31-2013)
3.75/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into snifter. 2012 vintage.

A Black. Pours slowly. Sludgy. Zero head. Just a black orb. Looks delicious.

S Pine resin. Black licorice. Smoke. Cocoa. Raisin.

T Ooohh. There is the usual flavors you get from Imperial stouts; coffee, dark fruit, cocoa. Bitter (90 IBU). But there is also a little more. A flavor I find prevalent in other Brau Bros brews; smoke and salt.

M The pour is quite misconceiving. It is thinner than it appears. Goes down fairly smooth for the style with a little bit of alcohol burn.

O It has personality. I like that. The bitterness and the smoke really subdue any boozyness. It just looks like a badass stout. While it's not on the top level of Russian Imperials, it is on the next level. I really think this brew would be super good after being aged in bourbon barrels.

3.66/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2012 bottle

Pours a tan head that fades away. Color is a deep caramel hued brown.

Flavors: Molasses, raisins, and dark dried fruits up front. A fair amount of smokey malts. Lots of dark chocolate. Figs, toffee, caramel. Coffee roast.

Mouthfeel: Rich and roasted. Full bodied. Ends dry and cloying.

Overall, for the price point, I am a fan. Not the best RIS, but far from the worst. Definitely enjoyable. One bottle at a time is enough, however.

2.5/5  rDev -33.7%

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

2.5/5  rDev -33.7%

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

3.74/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Brau Brothers Ivan The Great a couple weeks ago for $2.89 at The Lager Mill. I thought Moo Joos was a pretty good example of the style so I thought I would give their Imperial Stout a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an snifter.

A- The label looks ok, but it's a little plain and it isn't that eye catching. It poured a dark black color that didn't really let any light through with half a fingers worth of dark tan head that faded away to nothing and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This beer looked nice, but I thought the head and lacing were a little weak.

S- The aroma starts off with a high amount of sweetness followed by lots of dark roasted malts that impart a decent chocolate and coffee like aromas with some sweet malts in the background. Up next comes some dark fruit aromas followed by a noticeable alcohol aroma. this beer had a nice aroma that was fairly true to style.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of dark roasted malts that impart some chocolate, charred malts, and light coffee like flavors followed by a slight nutty flavor. Up next comes a light dark fruit flavor with a noticeable alcohol flavor that isn't too warming. On the finish comes some herbal hops with a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness with a roasted malt and nutty aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer that seemed to be a little complex.

M- Fairly smooth, a little creamy, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a solid example of the style, it had some nice complexity to it and it was fairly true to style. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth and the taste did a nice job of holding my attention, but I think one would be enough for me, I don't see myself having the urge to drink two of these in a row. What I liked the most about this beer was the complexity I thought it was pretty complex for the style. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, I know Imperial stouts usually don't have the best head but this one was a little lacking with the head retention. I might buy this beer again and I think I would like to get another bottle to put in the cellar to see how it changes over time. I would recommend this to most RIS fans. All in all I was happy with this beer it isn't the best RIS i have had, but it certainly isn't the worst. This is is my second beer from Brau Brothers and I think they are pretty solid, they seem to do a good job with darker beers, good job buys this was a pretty solid Imperial Stout and it's nice to have it as an option now.

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

3.33/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: motor oil black. opaque. a finger plus of a tan head that doesn't stick around too long

Smell: pretty strong hoppiness. espresso beans.

Taste: strong and bitter espresso beans. a bit too overwhelming. some hop bitterness in the back end

Mouthfeel: not very heavy or thick. not creamy. very bitter

Overall: i've had beers that i can taste coffee in but this beer is straight espresso. way too strong for me.

4.13/5  rDev +9.5%