Kronenbourg 1664 - Brasseries Kronenbourg

Brasseries Kronenbourg visit their website
France

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-02-2002

1664 est une bière blonde de grande origine issue du savoir-faire de nos Maîtres Brasseurs depuis 1664, année au cours de laquelle Jérôme Hatt, fondateur de Brasseries Kronenbourg, a obtenu sa maîtrise de brasseur et repris la célèbre brasserie du Canon à Strasbourg.

1664 se distingue par le raffinement de son goût et l'élégance de sa bouteille au design élancé. Le houblon aromatique subtil et racé qu'elle intègre dans sa composition est le Strisselspalt, le "caviar du houblon" qui lui confère un goût unique.

Ses reflets dorés et le subtil mariage des arômes de fruits mûrs, de malt et de houblon savamment sélectionnés, permettent à 1664 d’avoir un équilibre et une amertume généreuse en bouche.
to view more.
Ratings: 1,234 | Reviews: 475
3.11/5  rDev -2.5%

Clear pale yellow color, half-inch fluffy white head, decent retention, minimal lacing. The aroma is cracker, straw and a bit of skunkiness, but not as much as I expected considering the green bottle. Not much in the flavor department though - just a bit of light cracker malty flavor, with just a touch of hoppy bitterness. The mouthfeel was pretty thin, as expected, really didn't stick to the tongue. Overall, doesn't rate very well up there with the better euro lagers, pretty far down the scale in fact.

2.75/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Not that much into French beers but have had this at some restaurants and ok.

I would say this is just as good as Heineken in the bottle (which is good for me as I like Heineken quite a bit). I still say I like Heineken better overall (especially if Heineken is on tap), but since it's very difficult to find Heineken on tap around here and I've never had Kronenbourg on tap, I'll rate it equal with Heineken.

I understand why the real beer lovers dislike this brew, however, you have to take into consideration that beer snobs won't like any euro pale lagers. You can't compare this to Chimay Blue. Euro pale ales are usually going to be drank at clubs and bars or in the summer. In both cases the image a beer projects is as important as the beer itself. Sipping a bottle of "expensive" imported beer is going to look a lot better, if only in your mind, then a bud or the like. Having said that, how does this "premium" beer compare to the other big 2. Heineken, Stella Artois, and Kronenbourg 1664 are your 3 big "luxury" European lager beers. All three have built their reputation as being expensive and more exclusive. For me 1664 goes down like a nice cold coke. One of the things I really don't like about Heineken or Stella is that the bigger sip the more the skunk flavor lingers in my mouth after. In this 1664 I can definitely detect skunk, don't get me wrong, but it's not overwhelming at all. The head is very fine and lingers much longer then on the previously mentioned beers. I can also detect some of the hops in this brew which in henekin and stela are much more difficult to find on account of the skunk. This brew is "light" but it doesn't taste like a watered down version of something else, ex. Bud and bud light. When I poured this brew I was a little afraid that I was going to end up drinking French bud light. The poor is very light in color and there isn't much head until you get to within an inch of the rim when BAM the head explodes upward. I feel a real sense of refinement with this brew, and not the manufactured refinement that comes from marketing. I would say that this brew is like comparing a Cadillac to a Audi/Mercedes/bmw. They are both nice cars but there are lots of subtle refinements in the Germans make that when taken as a whole create a whole different level of luxury. I'm sure beer snobs, and I don't mean that in a derogatory way as I am a beer snob, will read this review and turn up their nose. I wrote this review for the average joe sitting at the bar who's wondering what in the heck 1664 is. The kind of guy who usually orders a mass produced American beer but wants to give off an allure of refinement and mystic. I implore the beer snobs to realize that you can't go from bud light to Rochefort 10 over night. I feel like this would be a good beer for joe six pack to experience. It's clearly better then its rivals in every way and yet it's familiar enough that the average beer drinking public will enjoy it. You don't have to sit there and force down henekin or Stella just to look cool, so take a leap and order 1664. On a side note... Call it 1664 and not Kronenbourg unless you speak French. Few things are more embarrassing then yelling a totally mispronounced French name across a noisesy bar.

2.77/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

rated from previous tasting notes

2.01/5  rDev -37%

Not much flavor. Tastes like miller high life.

3.35/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Definitely one of my favorite Euro lagers. Kronenbourg is consistent, and has some very endearing qualities. I like the fact that it has a frothy head that lingers and leaves intermittent ridges of lacing. It far less skunky than the average Euro, so you can actually smell and taste the hops. It's light on the palate, nicely carbonated, and very consistent, regardless of how it's served. C'est une biere delicieuse.

The beer has much more complexity than people give it credit for. I happened to think that it was very good. It was refreshing and a very easy beer. Something for the golf course or something.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3/1 (Bottle). Light golden pour with minimal head. Nice hops aroma. Very light beer taste and texture.

3.85/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Feels wonderful in your mouth L

1.37/5  rDev -57.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

The European version of Coors light is not for me. Maybe I'm still in my beer snob stage. But I do not drink light beer for the taste. When I drink beer I drink for the rich, malty, maybe chocolatey or nutty tastes. Obviously that's not Kronenberg, but I tried it to try it and my suspicions were verified. Sorry for the rating pulling it down, but I gotta keep it 100.

2.87/5  rDev -10%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A light tasting lager. Very little carbonation and not much upfront taste. A smidge of a bitter beer aftertaste. Decent flavor and enjoyable.

3.46/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Leave it to the french to do a trashy blonde euro lager with some modicum of style.

2.5/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Good clean lager with high drinkability.

3.43/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased at The Beer Store for just under $3.00 for a 500ml can. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass

A- Opens well and pours a nice white head that stays for a minute or two before it's gone. Clear medium gold color.

S- Not much here

T- Got a bit of a bubble gum hint to it. Nice and malty. Pretty complex for a lager. Nice beer!

M- Very creamy for a lager.

O- Very good beer. Will see what it tastes like on tap if I find it

Food Pairing

This nice little beer went well with...... Roasted chicken

Enjoy

3.58/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

As mentioned in other reviews this is easily the best of the mass produced on the style and always a safe bet, as it is widely available here in Europe.

3.88/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Dateless 11.2 ounce bottle poured into a pilsner glass. Brilliantly clear straw-colored body with a thick, frothy white head. Good retention and intermittent chunks of lacing.

Luckily this bottle appears to have missed being light struck. A bit of hay and straw flavored graininess. A bit of bread dough and herbal notes with a surprisingly strong hoppy aroma of a freshly-mowed lawn.

Flavor follows the nose. Clean grassy hops and bready malts. Neutral yeast and no astringency. Dough and a light touch of caramel. Well-balanced finish with just a touch of spice.

Light-medium body and a moderate level of carbonation. Clean, crisp, and refreshing mouthfeel.

Overall this isn't an exciting beer, but it's ridiculously clean and well-balanced. I've never given much thought to the style, but this was surprisingly pleasant and in my opinion, definitely beats its competitors.

4.18/5  rDev +31%

Best mainstream beer in the UK

4.03/5  rDev +26.3%

Saw this beer all over France when we were on vacation. It was cheap and plentiful over there. They even served it with my Big Mac at McDonalds! In Canada it is an Import, and priced accordingly.

I enjoy this beer. Great taste, good carbonation. Not too strong, not too weak. Very enjoyable.

2.02/5  rDev -36.7%

Had at Chef de France at Epcot... I was hoping for more

4.25/5  rDev +33.2%

Review: Can of Kronenbourg Pale Lager, 5.5%ABV

Kronenbourg 1664 is France’s No.1 selling beer, and a nice refreshing beer with a lot of interesting flavours.

The appearance is a lovely clear amber colour, with a nice frothy white head. The appearance has the wow factor, it looks really like a beer you definitely want to drink.

The smell is not strong but you can get both a nice faint sweetness and a fruity aroma off the beer.

Taste has a mixture of different flavours from fruit, sweet caramel malts, honey, to a sweet malt taste at the start followed up with a mild hop bitterness.

All in all a nice crafted beer and quite an enjoyable drinking experience mainly due, in my opinion, to the complexity of the flavours. Truly a well balanced beer.

3.75/5  rDev +17.6%

Experienced in : Paris
Appealing to me : taste, class
Less appealing to me : - - -

I like this beer and will look forward to my next drink.

3.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Good served ice cold on the train from Brussels to Paris at 10:30 am. A good eye opener for sure. If you are in the mood for a cheap euro lager (and when are you ever not in the mood for that?). Prefer it to stella or heineken.

3.5/5  rDev +9.7%

decent beer, even for the frogs.

2.75/5  rDev -13.8%

500 ml can poured into a lager glass. Pours clear straw colour with light fluffy head. Very little nose - slightly skunky. Very little flavour and slightly skunky. Slightly better than some North American mass produced beers but not great.

to view more.