Kronenbourg 1664 - Brasseries Kronenbourg

Kronenbourg 1664Kronenbourg 1664

Brasseries Kronenbourg visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-02-2002

1664 est une bière blonde de grande origine issue du savoir-faire de nos Maîtres Brasseurs depuis 1664, année au cours de laquelle Jérôme Hatt, fondateur de Brasseries Kronenbourg, a obtenu sa maîtrise de brasseur et repris la célèbre brasserie du Canon à Strasbourg.

1664 se distingue par le raffinement de son goût et l'élégance de sa bouteille au design élancé. Le houblon aromatique subtil et racé qu'elle intègre dans sa composition est le Strisselspalt, le "caviar du houblon" qui lui confère un goût unique.

Ses reflets dorés et le subtil mariage des arômes de fruits mûrs, de malt et de houblon savamment sélectionnés, permettent à 1664 d’avoir un équilibre et une amertume généreuse en bouche.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kronenbourg 1664 Alström Bros
Reviews: 479 | Hads: 1,335

Bought at asda. Costs £20 for 30 cans! So under 67 pence a can. I have spent the last year sampling ales and found some fantastic beers but at great expense. Though this is a macro lager and clearly uses some cheaper ingredients it does it brilliantly, for a euro lager has a fantastic smell and good head. I havd paid 5 times to price for 'craft' beers that fail to deliver as much taste and more importantly refreshment. Im sure I will sample many more beers in the future but will not be spending any more excessive time or money in the beer aisle. I will have this as my go to 'house' beer and probably visit my local brewery to sample some ales on tap. Thank you Kronenbourg 1664. I love you. Haha.

This maybe my favorite session beer of all time- light but flavorful. Smooth with a hint of hop- great with food- especially pub/comfort food. A delight!

4.53/5  rDev +42.5%

A top-shelf beer without question. First review in a while so I figured I'd make it a good one. This beer comes from France and the quality all around on it is far and beyond the norm for the EPL style.

A - Thick 1.5 inch head that takes several minutes to dissipate.

S - Corn, Hops, Fruity, Grainy, Warm (Inviting!).

T - Very hoppy and very special and unique because of the type of hops used. No it is not marketing ploy - It is true. Also, high carbonation throughout yielding a very pleasant feel on the tongue and palate, very lively, full of complex flavor, and especially full bodied for 5.0% abv. Impressive.

M - The best part. I like the mouthfeel of this beer because it's balanced, not boozy, at 5% but has enough of a kick to make you feel like you are drinking a classic beer rather than simply beer-flavored water. A trait worth noting I would say when you try the beer. Again, it may have something to do with that special type of hop used.

Overall: Try it and you probably won't look back. The best French beer I've tried yet.

4.52/5  rDev +42.1%

Not my normal style at all but I like it.

Excellent grassy aroma. Clear light amber brew with almost no head.

Flavor is dry and crisp with grassy and coppery notes. Fair amount of fresh grain, moderate hops.

Nice full mouthfeel but more carbonated than I like.

Extremely drinkable. Best euro lager I've had in recent memory. Would make a great session beer.

4.43/5  rDev +39.3%

On-tap at several places

The appearance and smell aren't anything particularly special, but it does have a nice golden color and decent lacing.

However, I am in love with this beer. This style (and similar styles) are hard to stand out in, but this one does. There's some sort of ineffable magic here. Maybe it's that special hop they talk about on the package. It's simple, crisp, smooth, refreshing and all too easy to put back a few.

4.4/5  rDev +38.4%

pours a light gold in color with a two finger frothy white head with an easy pour with a fine network of lacing. grassy and herbal nose going into a slightly skunky smell. your typical lager taste but kicked up a notch. mouthfeel is light with a crisp carbonation. clean, light, well balanced, easy to drink.

4.37/5  rDev +37.4%

11.3 oz custom Euro bottle into a pilsner glass...

A - Light straw color, pours to a Nice fluffy 1 inch head that sticks a bit to the glass. Decent activity

S - Very grassy, slight euro skunk is cut with sweeter, lighter malts

T - Sweet floral hops are there and balanced nicely by the malt. Lemon grass finish has a nice sweetness to it.

M - Nice and crisp, nice amount of carbonation leaves the palate clean, extremely refreshing and easy to drink

O - Really nice lager, a great step up from the AAL and an EPL of note, one of my personal favorites. It goes under the radar for most, but it shouldn't.

4.36/5  rDev +37.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

pours a nice goldish orange color with very little head. Smell is a bit skunky almost like a Heineken or a Straub. Taste is light and more on the sweet side. Very smooth and is extremely easy to drink. Very refreshing and is an easy beer to sit back and drink.

4.35/5  rDev +36.8%

A- Bright yellow color, clear, one finger thick white head that faded to a thin layer, tiny bubbles rising throughout

S- Toasted grains, pale malts, slightly sweet, hint of bitter hops

T- Pale malts, wheat, grains, honey, earthy, doughy bread, light lingering hops flavor

M- Light/medium body, medium carbonation, clean, crisp, refreshing

D- Great session brew

Seems to me that this is what the American macro breweries are aiming for when they brew their pale lagers... except this one is really good.

4.29/5  rDev +34.9%

Drank this beer on Captiva Island (Florida)...It was a very hot day and this really hit the spot. I was eating Hershey's chocolate with the beer and the combination was amazing :D
I am French-American but to be honest, I did not expect much (France is more of a wine nation obviously)...I was very pleased however to find that I very much liked this beer. :)

4.28/5  rDev +34.6%

12oz green Michelobe shaped bottle.
Poors a nice fizzy white head with a slight bubbliness. Simple straw color not quite gold.
Smells like most euro lagers with a touch of sweet breadiness.
A nice crisp light maltiness is present with a balancing hop flavor to finish it off. A pleasant sweetness s for a bit with no bitterness on the back of the tongue.
This is a thicker feeling beer than most straw colored lagers which I find pleasing.
This has session drinking written all over it with no hesitation and no wishing for some character in the session.
By far the best of all the green bottle euro lagers and far better than my latest run-in with a "craft" American Pils.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from the a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass at the World of Beer in Cary, NC. This beer is a golden yellow color with a small white head. The aroma has some hops and grass to it, pretty mild. The flavor matches the aroma and I was surprised by the full but plain flavor, very enjoyable. the beer was well balanced and had a great mouthfeel.

Review: Can of Kronenbourg Pale Lager, 5.5%ABV

Kronenbourg 1664 is France’s No.1 selling beer, and a nice refreshing beer with a lot of interesting flavours.

The appearance is a lovely clear amber colour, with a nice frothy white head. The appearance has the wow factor, it looks really like a beer you definitely want to drink.

The smell is not strong but you can get both a nice faint sweetness and a fruity aroma off the beer.

Taste has a mixture of different flavours from fruit, sweet caramel malts, honey, to a sweet malt taste at the start followed up with a mild hop bitterness.

All in all a nice crafted beer and quite an enjoyable drinking experience mainly due, in my opinion, to the complexity of the flavours. Truly a well balanced beer.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pale gold color, super clear. Lots of small bubbles rising up. Thick frothy head.

Bubblegum, spice, cloves, sweet grassy malts. Almost smell like a Belgium-style beer.

Mild Belgium spice flavor throughout the taste, it's not overpowering. Sweet grain, biscuit, wheaty. Touch of hop bitterness towards the end. Finish is very crisp and clean, a little dry. Body is light-medium, smooth, refreshing, semi-dry.

It's an excellent beer.

4.23/5  rDev +33%

This was my standard pub pilsner during my stay in the French part of Switzerland.
Look: The beer pours a clear golden color, with a large white head.
Smell: Malts, grains and grass.
Taste: Grains, malts, grass and some honey. Aftertaste is nicely dry bitter and long.
Mouthfeel: High carbonation, thin body
Overall: Maybe based on my sentimental memories, but for me a perfect example of the style

4.23/5  rDev +33%

I poured this offering into my pilsner glass. No freshness date on the bottle.

A: A long, slow pour developed a respectable three fingers worth of soft white head that remained frothy throughout the entire glass. The body is a clear, deep straw color that shows off the abundant amount of carbonation. I was impressed by the head retention.

S: The smell is wonderful and if it were more assertive, I probably would have given a higher rating. Great hop presence up front, with a good representation by Saaz hops. And it is supported by a mild, somewhat sweet malt character. Deep down in the aroma, I do pick up on some fruity characteristics, somewhat banana-like.

T: Very well-balanced. Lightly sweet from the biscuity malts and evenly bitter. The hops impart a soft, grassy hop flavor. Truly to style.

M: Completely smooth, with a slight bite towards the finish. The carbonation is spot on.

D: An excellent example of an European pilsner! And as such, it scores high on the drinkability rating.

I was very impressed by this beer. I had low expectations I guess, and it proved to be a very good pilsner. I wanted to give it higher scores on aroma, taste and mouthfeel, since they all fit the style precisely, but I must reserve those higher numbers for beers that somehow go beyond what is expected, right?

4.18/5  rDev +31.4%

This beer poured a nice light amber color with perfect clarity and three fingers of tight off-white foam that was rather long lasting. Quite a pretty sight to start.

The aroma was slightly floral with some mild grain and fruit notes to follow.

The taste was pleasntly sweet with balanced malt and hop notes. Very clean and refreshing. Rather lighter in flavor from teh ales I tend to prefer but I have to admit, this beer is exceptionally smooth and yet flavorful at the same time.

The drinkability is very high with such a mild unassuming flavor, and the satisfication factor is equally high. The mouthfeel is a little thin, but the carbonation helps to liven the palate. Definitly a beer I'd recommend.

4.16/5  rDev +30.8%

Got this one from the tap on my recent trip to France.

Poured into a beautifully tall pilsner glass. It had a pretty solid one finger head that never seemed to disappear. Great lacing throughout, this place keeps a clean glass. (Just some random cafe outside of Notre Dame.)

Smell: Malty floral goodness. I found myself constantly with my nose in the glass. I'm sure I looked a bit weird going back again and again. I couldn't pinpoint a couple of the other notes. I felt like banana was there somewhere, and a couple of other things.

Taste: Follows the nose closely, but instead of the possible banana note, I'm getting lemon with the taste. Nice balance on the malts hops.

Feel: Creamy goodness with a delicate bite of carbonation. Very nice. Very smooth.

Overall: One of my favorites while overseas. I tried this one first, and kept revisiting. I'm kind of kicking myself for not trying more while over there, but it's a testament to this beer I think. Great quality while on tap. I can't say how it survives that terrible green bottle if shipped over here.

4.13/5  rDev +29.9%

Heineken Be Damned! This is the Best mass produced western Euro lager, bar-none. Smell of floral hops. The taste is lightly hopped, with a slight yeasty-to- malty character. Slight fruitedness in the clean aftertaste. France's best, that's for sure.

Oh, Et La Bouteille..Très Chic! ( That Bottle Is Really Stylish)

4.12/5  rDev +29.6%

A - pours pale golden yellow; tons of carbonation bubbles rising to the top; thin layer of soft, loose, white head; little retention

S - grassy, grainy

T - grassy, straw, warm, mildly grainy, smooth finish

M - smooth, a bit crisp, a little warm, great carbonation

For the style this is really, really good. It has flavor and character. It's drinkable, sessionable, and ultimately enjoyable. I've never been a big fan of this style due to the seemingly regular off flavors (metallic, skunky, grainy), but this beer doesn't have those characteristics. It's worth checking out if you want something light and sessionable.

4.12/5  rDev +29.6%

I find this actually to be a very good beer, especially for a mass-produced pale lager.

Gold, it has a medium white head slowly shrinking to a foamy ring and wisps, plus just a little bit of lace.

Aroma is strong, pleasant, but basically standard Euro pale lager of grain, grass hints of herb and sulphur and mineral. It's simple but very good, firm, and pleasant.

Taste is similar, pleasant, lightly sweet appley grain with light, zesty grass and lightly spicey herb hint. It has light bitterness underlying the sweetness. Hay and grass dominate the aftertaste. The character that it has is pleasant, firm, and with enough going on to keep it interesting while it is highly drinkable. Feel is fairly good, solid, and not watery or rough.

4.11/5  rDev +29.2%

Appearance- golden yellow crisp carbonation and white head that retains through out the drinking of the beer, good lively appearance

Smell- slight grain, malts, faint hop, not over powering nose

Taste- very nice lager and example of the style, nice balance of malt and very crisp hop bitterness and dryness on the back end, very nice and super enjoyable flavor,

Mouthfeel- crisp and smooth light bodied

Drinkability- wow a very very nice lager drinkable to the extreme with a very lot of flavor for the style, definitely worth trying and so much better then most lagers out there today

4.1/5  rDev +28.9%

I had this beer in France 2 weeks ago on draft where I was taken aback by its stunning ability to conquer my thirst while my friends and I were celebrating my brother's wedding in Lyon.

When I returned to the USA, I immediately went hunting for this beer in Huntington, NY. Shoreline Beverage came through with a 6 pack for about $8, which was ok with me as long as I could taste recent history again. The bottle version I'm looking at now looks like Molson Golden, but tastes like a creamy Heineken with a slight bitterness.

No, it's not Duvel or Magic Hat, but it's great drinkability means you can serve it to your mother, your wife, and your friends at the next tailgate party without another thought. Yes, you can even serve the backwash to the slugs in your tomato garden, if there is anything left over.

4.07/5  rDev +28%

Pours a clear golden color with one inch of white head. Retention was not that good but heavy lacing is left on the glass during consumption. Has a pleasant noble hop aroma. Some graininess but overall a decent aroma. Definately on the dry side of flavor which will automatically gain some points when it comes to lighter lagers. Good hop flavor of pepper and other spices. Light body with ample carbonation. This beer is an easy drinker. Definately one of the better European pale lagers I have drank.

4.07/5  rDev +28%

This then would be the blue label 5% abv version, in that slick green bottle which I think is a nice touch. It's a clear golden in colour, a fizzled out head that's not even worth mentioning, really. Crisp grain and honey on the nose, backed by floral grassy hops. Flavour also possesses that crisp grain/bready character, rounded out nicely with light herbal hops. Smooth and crisp, it has a thirst-quenching mouthfeel, very easily made into a session ale, and one of my new favorite lagers. I'm pretty impressed, as I'd sampled this first a year ago and it never left much of an impression on me at the time. It is what it is, and that would be a clean drinkable lager with some character.

Kronenbourg 1664 from Brasseries Kronenbourg