Kronenbourg 1664 - Brasseries Kronenbourg

Kronenbourg 1664Kronenbourg 1664

Brasseries Kronenbourg visit their website

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-02-2002

1664 est une bière blonde de grande origine issue du savoir-faire de nos Maîtres Brasseurs depuis 1664, année au cours de laquelle Jérôme Hatt, fondateur de Brasseries Kronenbourg, a obtenu sa maîtrise de brasseur et repris la célèbre brasserie du Canon à Strasbourg.

1664 se distingue par le raffinement de son goût et l'élégance de sa bouteille au design élancé. Le houblon aromatique subtil et racé qu'elle intègre dans sa composition est le Strisselspalt, le "caviar du houblon" qui lui confère un goût unique.

Ses reflets dorés et le subtil mariage des arômes de fruits mûrs, de malt et de houblon savamment sélectionnés, permettent à 1664 d’avoir un équilibre et une amertume généreuse en bouche.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kronenbourg 1664 Alström Bros
Reviews: 479 | Hads: 1,335
1.06/5  rDev -66.7%

Picked up a Kronenbourg while in Paris a couple of years ago to drink on Montmarte with some friends. I was pretty excited because I had never tasted a French beer before.

This was the worst tasting beer I have EVER had. Skunked beyond belief and completely undrinkable. Had to pour it out on the steps. Only time I've ever done that to a beer.

That said, I'd like to try this again on-tap. I'm hoping it was just a case of improper storage and not the actual character of the beer that gave it such a miserable taste.

1.31/5  rDev -58.8%

Poured a color of golden straw as others have noted. However, after tasting it, I might rather compare it to the color of skunk urine. This is most likely a case of my palate overiding my sense of sight, but it can simply not be avoided. I generally follow the "respect beer" philosophy, but this is absolutely horrendous. I'm sure the trip across the pond doesn't help in the taste department, but I enjoy plenty of other European beers, which allows little credence to an extended shipping process as an excuse for the taste of this beer.

1.34/5  rDev -57.9%

I must have had a six pack turned bad. Absolutely smelled terrible and tasted just as bad. Thought it would be good since I bought it from Wegman's but I guess not.

Have to retry then repost review because I believe something was off for it to taste that badly. Maybe the french just like weird tasting beer though.

1.35/5  rDev -57.5%

Bottle version 25 cl - green bottle. Golden lager with medium that disapear in no time. As for the taste: Can you spell SKUNK, can you say bad brew. Why? Why? Why? The bottle format is the most inetresting thing about this beer. This is so bad I won't spend more time writing about this.

1.37/5  rDev -56.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

The European version of Coors light is not for me. Maybe I'm still in my beer snob stage. But I do not drink light beer for the taste. When I drink beer I drink for the rich, malty, maybe chocolatey or nutty tastes. Obviously that's not Kronenberg, but I tried it to try it and my suspicions were verified. Sorry for the rating pulling it down, but I gotta keep it 100.

1.38/5  rDev -56.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

First had: on tap at Zebulon, Brooklyn, NY

It was the most "exotic" thing they had at the bar, with only about 5 beers to chose from, so I gave it a whirl. Keep trying, France.

Poured clear golden-yellow with a slight white head, and fizzy carbonation. Grassy aroma, some sickening sweetness. Sweet malts in the taste, very light, grassy hops, moving on to mulch and leaving a skunky taste in the mouth. Light bodied and not very drinkable at all. After one glass, I was done drinking for the night.

1.39/5  rDev -56.3%

Pretty skunky lager. Smaller bubbles now they say, since the new recipe for Kronunberg 1664 it seems to have started tasting worse, it used to be just about an ok lager. Real disappointment here. A bit like Stella Artois but somehow quite a bit worse in the end, if thats possible.

1.46/5  rDev -54.1%

A: Opaque straw yellow. Not anything different from the macros. But I guess it is common for the style. Just a tad stronger.

S: Smells like the rotten ass of a skunk. I actually used to think that expensive imports were supposed to smell like this.

T: I can't get past the roadkill skunk smell enough to even taste this stuff. As far as I can tell it tastes a little more watered down than the BMC stuff.

M: Well at least it isn't as over carbonated as the macros. Actually not too bad.

D: If you pinch your nose while you drink it this aspect may actually be good.

What is up with imports with green bottles being so skunky? This is why people turn their noses up at craft beer. This is posh to most BMC drinkers but have no idea what else is out their after judging all on stuff like this. There are way better euro lagers out there some are actually pretty good but not this skunky mess.

1.5/5  rDev -52.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle. Would never bought it myself, but my friend braught it over. Not very appetizing color. I'm not sure if there were any aroma. Maybe very slight, bread and sweet malt. Very watery on the palate. Taste of sweet corn. I could not finish the bottle.

1.59/5  rDev -50%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Kronenbourg used to be a great beer about 10-15 years ago until it was bought out by Molson a few years ago. Anything Molson gets its hands on turns to crap, they did the same to Moosehead and Carlsberg. It's a shame, I remember a Kronenbourg with great head and a smooth mouthfeel. This one tastes like an American/imported-macro brew. Very disapointed, used to be my favorite.
Plus, I've seen a few reviews out there bashing American breweries. American breweries like Ommegang, Rogue, Anchor Steam...etc., are some of the greatest beers the world has to offer, you just have to not buy your beer at a local grocery store.

1.61/5  rDev -49.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a bottle to a pilsener glass. Had a light golden color with a thick one inch head. Very thin texture. Some lacing, but not much.

Had a definitively skunky aroma (green bottles suck). A little bit of hops and malt come through, but not much else.

The hops and malt you smell come up in the taste, but mainly it's thin, watery, one-note and, honestly, kind of nasty.

There was a below average amount of carbonation, producing a lackluster mouthfeel.

The Kronenbourg is not a drinkable beer. The bottle I got might have been skunked, but it wouldn't even be that good straight from the factory. Pass.

1.7/5  rDev -46.5%

1.5 for it's drinkability... what else for a beer that tast more water than malts or hops... Anyway, this is certainly one of the beers that make most poeples say : "i hate beer". Alsacian brewers shall try to avoid that brewery to reclaim to be one of them.
Mouthfeel is inexistant, tast is impossible to be declaimed as it's totally not present... Smell has nothing special and appearance shall be a good one, but... hmmmm awful

1.76/5  rDev -44.7%

Green Bottle. Upon opening, Pepe Le Pew made a grand entrance. Mon Dieu! It was sickening. This has to be the worst case of skunking I've ever encountered. I'm not kidding. I had to let it sit a while to air out. Gold in appearance with typical eurolager head. Flavor is very typical cheap continental light lager. Not very exciting. Maltiness and residual sweetness and noticible alcohol. Finishes sweet.

1.76/5  rDev -44.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

This is France's "Michelob," a beer that is supposed to be better than the usual swill (e.g., ordinary "KRO" or Kronenbourg), but does not stand out except for being a tad bit more extreme version of a bad beer. It is common in France, so you must try it in order to have any useful discussion with a French person about beer.

The taste is similar to a warm Heineken (i.e., ratty), no matter how cold you manage to cool it (this beer also freezes quickly in a freezer). The aroma is akin to a skunk, the head is fleeting, the color is dull and uninspiring in the glass, and the mouthfeel is watery.

1.81/5  rDev -43.1%

Reviewed 12/29/08

The Kronenbourg's appearance was clear and golden. It had a strong grassy aroma and the taste was much weaker than the smell had indicated. This beer was smooth but with a harsh finish. My ultimate review of this one could be boiled down to, "Icky daddy! Make go 'way!!"

Given as a gift in a "Beers of the World" package. I would avoid this package at all costs!

Another from old notes.

A: The pour is a pale golden straw color with a short lived, but initially large, white head.

S: Smells just bad. Quite skunky with a bit of a warm garbage aroma. Lots of corn and other cooked vegetables. Lager yeast is also present.

T: The flavor isn't quite as bad, but still not all that enjoyable. Corn, overcooked broccoli, and incredibly skunky. Lager yeast and a bit of cooked grain.

M: Light in body with a medium to high level of carbonation.

O: Pretty foul stuff, though probably not the worst beer I've ever had.

1.94/5  rDev -39%

I'm going to part company with many of the previous reviewers and give this beer a hearty thumbs down. I remember Kronenbourg from some 25+ years ago when it was one of the only "good" imported beers around. My, things have changed, but back then, Becks was pretty highfallutin stuff as well.

The beer was very pale golden colored with a grainy smell but very light on the nose. There is some white head and a bit of lacing. The label on the beer (bought in Canada) mentioned glucose syrup. I think that pretty much nails it on the head. The beer had a really bad adjunct flavor to it, maybe some cheap hop like extract, and a light wheaty maltiness. There wasn't heaps of taste to this beer, and when it settled ... watch out. The beer became quickly undrinkable. This was really bad euro pale lager, and I can't think of any reason to return to it. If you like the style, there are plenty of better macro euro style beers to choose from.

1.94/5  rDev -39%

Yuck the smell of adjunct grains and that in a mock Helles for a Munich man - yep that s Reinheitsgebot central! Whatr can i say other than OK to look at but with athin body wa<tery and the sickly aftertaste of adjunct grains. Drinkability goes down by the sip since the sickly aftertaste keeps lingering - drink only in emergencies!

1.97/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

A: One finger head. Fades quickly. Light yellow in color.

S: I'm still trying to get a whiff of something. If this beer has a smell, I certainly haven't found it yet.

T: Hoppy, very carbonated. The carbonation overpowers the flavor. It goes down okay. Like drinking soda.

M: Over-carbonated. The carbonation lasts on your tongue.

O: Is this beer or Sierra Mist? This beer is not for me.

Sweet fizzy and yellow. That should say enough, but i've got to write more to complete my rating. Doesn't really have anything which distinguishes it from other mainstream lager, and its very boring to drink.

2.03/5  rDev -36.2%

Not my first experience with Kronenbourg, but it's time to review it.

Unique 330ml Bottle poured into a Pilsener glass. A darker coloured lager with very little in the way of a head retention or lacing, a low/medium carbonation. Highly skunked like every time I've had this beer. I think they sit on the shelves at the LC for much too long. By highly skunked I mean that I have the glass about 2 feet away from me and I can still smell it. Malt is very sweet, definitely a cheap corn smell in there. Actually, the label itself tells you there's corn in it.

Ingredients: Water, Barley Malt, Maize, Wheat Malt, E150c Colour, Hop Extract.

The "Hop Extract" had a tough time on the ride over, because I can hardly find a hop aroma from all the skunkiness.

Taste is weak and soapy, with a muddled skunky dry lemony sourness that I suppose is what happened to the hops. Malts are subdued and thin. Not much in the way of body at all. The mouthfeel is overcarbonated and thin, fairly dry on the palate.

This is a really terrible effort, so generic and boring I can hardly drink it. Funny thing is, in France, fresh and on tap, it dosen't seem like a bad thing on a hot night out. Too bad the bottle can't survive the journey.

2.03/5  rDev -36.2%

I think this beer should be classified as an American Macro Lager. It contains a good part of adjunct cereal grains as can be confirmed by the ingredients in the label (“Ingredients: Water, barley malt, maize, wheat malt, colour:caramel, hop extract”) and also by its taste.

1664 has a golden yellow color, white low head that fades very quickly. A very clear beer.
The nose is almost non-existent and it tastes slightly bitter.
Smooth mouthfeel, moderate carbonation, low-strength and very light body. Very short aftertaste. It disappeared before I could note anything in particular.

Overall: another bland and characterless adjunct lager. If this one is an example of the beers made in France I suggest that they stick with wine.

2.05/5  rDev -35.5%

Really yellow beer, super crystal clear, offputting aroma of unintentional funkiness and industrial cleaner.

Taste, weird yeast strain seems to jump on my tongue, not allowing any taste of very light Saaz hops I'd guess to do anything. Slight breadiness. Just really put off by the taste. Evolves into a slightly more tolerable bitter hay feel. Dry, but eh. Had this at the Paris, France casino in Vegas. . . might have been old, but it just wasn't agreeable with me.

2.05/5  rDev -35.5%

I drank this on tap in a pub with limited choices in the hope that it would be a safe and "decent" beer. It wasn't! The appearance was ok to start with but the head quickly dissipated leaving little lacing and hardly any foam on top. The smell was sour and unappetising. I would describe it as a cheap lager aroma. The taste was insipid with an unpleasant sourness and no noticeable hop or malt accent. I wonder if Kronenbourg 1664 tastes better from a can or bottle and may revisit it in that format one day. Maybe the pub hadn't kept it too well.

The name sounds like it should be good. The logo looks nice. In Britain they have adverts with French soccer legend Eric Cantona extolling the noble people who pick the prized Alsace hops that they use. Sadly in reality it tastes like a cheap, slightly hard to drink lager. I would rather have a glass of cheap and cheerful red wine than this if it was the only beer on offer

My mark out of one hundred would be 55.

2.06/5  rDev -35.2%

purchased at puget sound wine cellar in port orchard, washington.

pours a clear pale yellow with a medium size head that goes away rapidly, some lacing.

smell is skunky, grain, and silage.

taste is weak, watery, corn, and grainy, nothing really there.

not impressed.