Kronenbourg 1664 - Brasseries Kronenbourg

Brasseries Kronenbourg visit their website
France

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-02-2002

1664 est une bière blonde de grande origine issue du savoir-faire de nos Maîtres Brasseurs depuis 1664, année au cours de laquelle Jérôme Hatt, fondateur de Brasseries Kronenbourg, a obtenu sa maîtrise de brasseur et repris la célèbre brasserie du Canon à Strasbourg.

1664 se distingue par le raffinement de son goût et l'élégance de sa bouteille au design élancé. Le houblon aromatique subtil et racé qu'elle intègre dans sa composition est le Strisselspalt, le "caviar du houblon" qui lui confère un goût unique.

Ses reflets dorés et le subtil mariage des arômes de fruits mûrs, de malt et de houblon savamment sélectionnés, permettent à 1664 d’avoir un équilibre et une amertume généreuse en bouche.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,225 | Reviews: 470

1.06/5  rDev -66.8%

Picked up a Kronenbourg while in Paris a couple of years ago to drink on Montmarte with some friends. I was pretty excited because I had never tasted a French beer before.

This was the worst tasting beer I have EVER had. Skunked beyond belief and completely undrinkable. Had to pour it out on the steps. Only time I've ever done that to a beer.

That said, I'd like to try this again on-tap. I'm hoping it was just a case of improper storage and not the actual character of the beer that gave it such a miserable taste.

1.31/5  rDev -58.9%

Poured a color of golden straw as others have noted. However, after tasting it, I might rather compare it to the color of skunk urine. This is most likely a case of my palate overiding my sense of sight, but it can simply not be avoided. I generally follow the "respect beer" philosophy, but this is absolutely horrendous. I'm sure the trip across the pond doesn't help in the taste department, but I enjoy plenty of other European beers, which allows little credence to an extended shipping process as an excuse for the taste of this beer.

1.34/5  rDev -58%

I must have had a six pack turned bad. Absolutely smelled terrible and tasted just as bad. Thought it would be good since I bought it from Wegman's but I guess not.

Have to retry then repost review because I believe something was off for it to taste that badly. Maybe the french just like weird tasting beer though.

1.35/5  rDev -57.7%

Bottle version 25 cl - green bottle. Golden lager with medium that disapear in no time. As for the taste: Can you spell SKUNK, can you say bad brew. Why? Why? Why? The bottle format is the most inetresting thing about this beer. This is so bad I won't spend more time writing about this.

1.37/5  rDev -57.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

The European version of Coors light is not for me. Maybe I'm still in my beer snob stage. But I do not drink light beer for the taste. When I drink beer I drink for the rich, malty, maybe chocolatey or nutty tastes. Obviously that's not Kronenberg, but I tried it to try it and my suspicions were verified. Sorry for the rating pulling it down, but I gotta keep it 100.

1.38/5  rDev -56.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

First had: on tap at Zebulon, Brooklyn, NY

It was the most "exotic" thing they had at the bar, with only about 5 beers to chose from, so I gave it a whirl. Keep trying, France.

Poured clear golden-yellow with a slight white head, and fizzy carbonation. Grassy aroma, some sickening sweetness. Sweet malts in the taste, very light, grassy hops, moving on to mulch and leaving a skunky taste in the mouth. Light bodied and not very drinkable at all. After one glass, I was done drinking for the night.

1.39/5  rDev -56.4%

Pretty skunky lager. Smaller bubbles now they say, since the new recipe for Kronunberg 1664 it seems to have started tasting worse, it used to be just about an ok lager. Real disappointment here. A bit like Stella Artois but somehow quite a bit worse in the end, if thats possible.

1.46/5  rDev -54.2%

A: Opaque straw yellow. Not anything different from the macros. But I guess it is common for the style. Just a tad stronger.

S: Smells like the rotten ass of a skunk. I actually used to think that expensive imports were supposed to smell like this.

T: I can't get past the roadkill skunk smell enough to even taste this stuff. As far as I can tell it tastes a little more watered down than the BMC stuff.

M: Well at least it isn't as over carbonated as the macros. Actually not too bad.

D: If you pinch your nose while you drink it this aspect may actually be good.

What is up with imports with green bottles being so skunky? This is why people turn their noses up at craft beer. This is posh to most BMC drinkers but have no idea what else is out their after judging all on stuff like this. There are way better euro lagers out there some are actually pretty good but not this skunky mess.

1.5/5  rDev -53%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle. Would never bought it myself, but my friend braught it over. Not very appetizing color. I'm not sure if there were any aroma. Maybe very slight, bread and sweet malt. Very watery on the palate. Taste of sweet corn. I could not finish the bottle.

1.59/5  rDev -50.2%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Kronenbourg used to be a great beer about 10-15 years ago until it was bought out by Molson a few years ago. Anything Molson gets its hands on turns to crap, they did the same to Moosehead and Carlsberg. It's a shame, I remember a Kronenbourg with great head and a smooth mouthfeel. This one tastes like an American/imported-macro brew. Very disapointed, used to be my favorite.
Plus, I've seen a few reviews out there bashing American breweries. American breweries like Ommegang, Rogue, Anchor Steam...etc., are some of the greatest beers the world has to offer, you just have to not buy your beer at a local grocery store.

1.61/5  rDev -49.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a bottle to a pilsener glass. Had a light golden color with a thick one inch head. Very thin texture. Some lacing, but not much.

Had a definitively skunky aroma (green bottles suck). A little bit of hops and malt come through, but not much else.

The hops and malt you smell come up in the taste, but mainly it's thin, watery, one-note and, honestly, kind of nasty.

There was a below average amount of carbonation, producing a lackluster mouthfeel.

The Kronenbourg is not a drinkable beer. The bottle I got might have been skunked, but it wouldn't even be that good straight from the factory. Pass.

1.7/5  rDev -46.7%

1.5 for it's drinkability... what else for a beer that tast more water than malts or hops... Anyway, this is certainly one of the beers that make most poeples say : "i hate beer". Alsacian brewers shall try to avoid that brewery to reclaim to be one of them.
Mouthfeel is inexistant, tast is impossible to be declaimed as it's totally not present... Smell has nothing special and appearance shall be a good one, but... hmmmm awful

1.72/5  rDev -46.1%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Kronenbourg 1664 from Brasseries Kronenbourg