Black Flag Imperial Stout - Beer Valley Brewing Co.

Black Flag Imperial StoutBlack Flag Imperial Stout

Beer Valley Brewing Co. visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 11-09-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Flag Imperial Stout Alström Bros
1.55/5  rDev -59.2%

Ick! I believe Black Flag is an ant and roach spray.
I think I may have grabbed the wrong stuff by mistake.

I tried 3 separate sips of this, thinking I must be off, but I still couldn't stomach it. Every other "bad" beer I have tried has been fixable via mixology. This beer went straight to the drain. This was my FIRST ever drain pour. I couldn't fathom a way to save it. Honestly this is my favorite beer style, and the reviews are stellar, so I figure I have to have had a bad bottle.

I recall seeing one around here that said "fresh hop" on it, so I double checked to be sure this one did not and am filing this review under the normal variant. I must have drank the fresh hop version with no ill side effects because I can't seem to locate it, and I never wrote a review on this beer before.

The Color was fine for an IS, and the smell was not noxious. But I can't even begin to explain the taste. I imagine if you were to drink gasoline (or ant spray) you might get something close. I didn't keep it in my mouth long enough to gauge the mouthfeel. Ick!

raiser, Dec 23, 2008

carteravebrew, Feb 07, 2013
2.48/5  rDev -34.7%

I acquired a bottle of this interesting sounding beer at the end of 2007 and was saving it for a special occasion. Well, such a moment came recently so I finally cracked it open, only to be disappointed. I have to agree with the others who gave this one a low rating.

The pitch black sludge slopped out of the 22oz. bottle into my stemless wine glass with absolutely ZERO head--a peculiar sight which I found quite entertaining. After pouring what I felt would be a good amount to start with I looked at it sitting in my glass and realized: "this stuff looks like used motor oil!" That should've been a turn-off but I'd never seen a beer so thick and dense before so I was very intrigued.

The smell was basically that of other strong imperial stouts: alcohol and roasted barley. The taste, however, was crazy. This is definitely the most intensely flavored beer I've come across. After the first sip I sat there stunned at the coffee, licorice, and chocolate flavors that were all simultaneously present and at a strength I've never tasted in beer. It was literally all these at once and in abundance. It tasted yeasty and roasty too, but the intensity of the sweet flavors (coffee, licorice, chocolate) and the bitterness of the hops quickly overpowered everything else.

I initially enjoyed this beer because it was so dang interesting and intense. Yet as I slowly sipped my way through my first glass I realized I was going to have to share the rest of the bottle, which I did with my wife who could barely finish her half-glass. By the end of the bottle, sometime later, I was honestly beginning to have a gag reflex every time I had a sip because of the bitterness and intensity of the licorice flavor. A perfect analogy for those thinking about trying Black Flag would be Jägermeister; very intense, very tasty, but too much is kinda disgusting. I couldn't get myself to pour it out so I ended up finishing it all...but if it were a cheaper beer I probably would've poured out the last 1/4 of the bottle. Bleck!

PROS: Treating this beer as a liqueur and only drinking an ounce or two in one sitting would probably make this pretty enjoyable, especially with rich desserts. This beer has some really interesting flavors going on so I think it would serve Beer Valley Brewing Company well to bottle it in something much smaller, say, like the bottles Samichlaus or Gulden Draak come in. As it stands, a super intense beverage put into a 22oz bottle that can't be re-corked is inappropriate--heck, even a 12oz'er would probably be pushing it!

MadeInOregon, Feb 09, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -34.2%

Soneast, Sep 03, 2012
2.63/5  rDev -30.8%

Bottle opened by bmanning. Thanks, Ben. 2008 vintage. Served in a SAVOR snifter.

Pour yields a black-bodied brew with a very, very small light mocha head that comes up and then dies down almost immediately without leaving anything behind. The nose is quite roasty with a bit of chocolate and a very mild coffee presence. The flavor is just way too dry with overwhelming roast and almost nothing else there. Feel is medium with a dry, dry finish. Not a big fan of this at all.

Thorpe429, Mar 20, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -30.8%

A- Pours black, with a kaki head, and very good head retention.

S- Well I poured this, and have let this warm up for about 5 minutes, and I'm getting not much arouma, just some malt, marshmellow, and a bit of toasted malt. Not impressive at all for a imperial stout!

T- Very dark roasted malt, Chocolate, very grainy, even the toasted malt taste a little off. Bit of hops at the end, they come through with a lot of alpha acid, that you exspect in an IPA. I mean you exspect big IBU for a imperial stout but its so off. I'm not impressed by this taste at all.

M&D- The bitterness of the hops are pretty lasting and and don't mix well for this blend of malts. Little alcohol burn. I'm about half way through this pint, and i'm not looking forward to finishing this. This imperial has a lot to work on, i'm a huge fan and not impressed at all. Get on it BEER valley!

Dlish, Feb 22, 2011
2.65/5  rDev -30.3%

Pours black with a nice tan head "if you try to get one." Very light, almost non-existant nose of roasted malt. Medium body with medium mouth feel. Tastes like an IPA if you didn't see it. Big bold bitter flavors with a finish of burnt coffee and bitter dark chocolate and roasted malt. Not as pleasant as it may sound...flavor profile is not particularly attractive. Basically, this would be a good IPA without the coffee/roasted malt finish; it would be an acceptable stout with less of the big bitter hop characteristics. I'm big on expectations...and, this one does not meet the expectations of a stout; perhaps an identify crisis going on here. But...ok....I'll say it..it does have a cool label.

GRG1313, May 16, 2009
2.78/5  rDev -26.8%

A- pours absolutely jet black, had nearly no head whatsoever has a very thin ring of coffe colored lacing

S- alcohol smell almost overpowers other smells, but there noticable hints of chocolate and coffee, just expect a bit more scent from a big beer like this

T- alcohol once again dominates, same flavors present in smell are present in the taste as well, , coffee and chocolate, little bit of a citric hop taste their at the finish, tastes good but nothing to rave about

M- very thick heavy body, almost syrupy, coats mouth and stays there, almost no carbonation

D- not very drinkable at all, 22 oz. was a bit more than I needed, after a while I didn't want anymore, something to sip for a while, a long while, a little let down, the big stouts are usually expensive (this one was 9.99 for a 22 oz. bomber) but they usually really deliver in the taste department, this one didnt quite measure up, not a bad beer, but not worth the price in my book

gonzo138, Nov 09, 2006
2.8/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

A - Very dark, black color. Not much visibility due to color.

S - Strong, hoppy smell.

T - Extremely bitter and hoppy. Flavor is a bit overpowering

M - Does not sit in well. Overbitterness doesn't make it smooth going down.

O - Definitely for those who want a full powered, full flavored beer, but not something you can drink on a recreational basis.

avwrite, Jul 05, 2014
2.93/5  rDev -22.9%

Pours a deep dark tan, with a nice tan frothy head. Taste and mouthfeel, it was a bit cardboardy and boozy, not the best. Drinkability, looked forward to having this, brought it back down from Seattle, but ended up a bit dissapointed. Just a bit to much too sit down and have a few, was expecting more from these guys, most of the beers they produce are solid.

chickencoop, Oct 05, 2009

Mididad, Sep 13, 2014

taste- roasted malt, coffee, bitterness

color- dark brown to black

clarity- opaque but it pours clear

smell- coffeeish, raisiny

body- medium firmness

appearance- creamy coffee-colored head

overall impression- somewhat of a let down

notes- not very complex or interesting for this style. tasting alcohol in the finish, not pleasurable. this review is for a 2008 vintage tasted in 2008

glassware: pint

NorCalYeti, Oct 17, 2009

ejimhof, Mar 23, 2013

deapokid, Nov 25, 2011

jfcaa193, Feb 06, 2012
3.05/5  rDev -19.7%

Appearance: Pours a dark brown, near black body with an incredibly thin, off-white head.

Smell: Unsweetened chocoate and scorched coffee along with chimney soot and smoke. Also, there's a hefty amount of citrusy grapefruit befitting an IPA.

Taste: Dark chocolate with a brief, fleeting sweetness. After that, it's a conveyor belt of flavors - charred fruits, pipe ash, and forgotten coffee grounds. Overabundance of citrus hops. The strong hop bitterness couples with a sharp roasted quality that borders on being astringent. Ashen, distinctly alcoholic finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: This beer was a debacle. Excessively hopped and needlessly astringent, to me, these qualities don't make for an enjoyable imperial stout.

ChainGangGuy, Dec 09, 2007
3.1/5  rDev -18.4%

Oily black with brown ring on the edges. Roasted cocoa, burnt coffee, cream, and caramel. Taste is more of the same, but the hops give it a little bite. Some soy sauce tanginess, but agian, somewhat watery. Alcohol is well hidden, but still felt thin. Left me wanting more.

magictrokini, Dec 05, 2008
3.1/5  rDev -18.4%

This brew poured dark mahogany with a nice tan head- very promising. Aromas were dominated by solvent alcohols and boozy malts. Taste was very wild; cherries, currants, more dried fruits then a sudden 180- earthy oily hops come through in strength- extremely bitter and not at all balanced witht he malts. The flavor combo is accentuated by a very dry, tannic character and tobacco flavors run rampant over the tastebuds. A hard one to sip, very challenging and the ABV is definately noticeable. Maybe its just a raw beer, and needs some tweaking- as it is now its not up to par.

kernalklink, Aug 15, 2007
3.15/5  rDev -17.1%

Pour is black with a large big bubble caramel head that sticks around for a good while with some good lacing clinging. The nose is of very heavy roasted malts that smells a little like burnt toast with cocoa topping. The taste is of big roasted malts and bitter cocoa. The mouthfeel is full, thick and creamy - possibly my favorite part of the beer. Not my favorite example of the style.

Popkas, Feb 23, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -15.8%

Served in 12oz goblet. Poured a slightly translucent black with a thick deep tan head that had good retention and moderate lacing. This beer really was more the color of an exceptionally dark brown ale.

The expected rich, roasty aroma was accompanied by a sharp note of hops. There were no other surprises in the aroma, this smelled exactly like I expect the style to. The flavors were also what you anticipate, nothing out of the ordinary here. Rich, full and roasted malt dominate with a dash of hop spice on the edges.

The body and drinkability were both typical for the style. Overall, except for the lighter than normal color, this beer could used to teach people what to expect from this type of beer. A very good, but not special brew. Worth trying if you see it, worth effort to obtain if you're a stout fan.

beertunes, Nov 29, 2009

Glibber, Oct 07, 2012

fivetime, Jan 21, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

A fairly expensive bottle from BevMo in Thousand Oaks.

In the glass this is a thick oily looking black colored beer that does not pass light. This seems to be very low in carbonation and does not form a head.

The smell is sweet with a clear and strong black licorice aroma. There is a fairly strong blackberry aroma here too that grows as it warms. Additional scents of brandy and coffee.

The taste begins with a strong slightly burned coffee taste. After you acclimate to the coffee and the charred taste a little bit of berry flavor appears but this is clearly a coffee tasting RIS. This needs much more complexity.

The mouthfeel is quite thick but loses points for ultra low carbonation level.

Drinkability is only average. The major problems here are lack of complex flavors and lack of head formation. This wasn't worth the $10 that the bottle cost me.

Zorro, Mar 10, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours an oily, opaque black, topped off with a little bit of tan head. Aromas of coffee, bitter chocolate and maybe vanilla. Decent roasted malt flavors, a little bit sweet, with bakers chocolate and espresso. For some reason I was expecting a little more from this one. Not bad though.

emmasdad, Jun 11, 2010

casapy, May 23, 2013
Black Flag Imperial Stout from Beer Valley Brewing Co.