Black Flag Imperial Stout - Beer Valley Brewing Co.

Black Flag Imperial StoutBlack Flag Imperial Stout

Beer Valley Brewing Co. visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 11-09-2006)
View: Beers (17) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Flag Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Shaimless

Beer Valley Brewing Co.
Black Flag Imperial Stout
11% Abv.
22oz. Bomber into NB snifter

Appearance= Vigorous pour into NB snifter yields a fat 2 finger stout colored head (caramel, tan whatever). Black body w/minimal carbonation. Sweet lacing on sides of glass as this delish brew goes down.

Smell= Good smell, choco, coffee. Typical Imperial Stout smell.

Taste= Awesome! Lingers in your mouth. Fat Stout. Bittering hops on the back end. Coffee, roasted malts dominate.

Mouthfeel= Nice and stouty! Thick and awesome. Lingers on the tongue.

Drinkability= Abv. is not present. Flavor is awesome. Thick mouthfeel. Really, really good. Would be a 5 but you can;t pound these.

05-26-2009 17:15:55 | More by Grabbin2nd
Popkas

Colorado

3.15/5  rDev -17.1%

Pour is black with a large big bubble caramel head that sticks around for a good while with some good lacing clinging. The nose is of very heavy roasted malts that smells a little like burnt toast with cocoa topping. The taste is of big roasted malts and bitter cocoa. The mouthfeel is full, thick and creamy - possibly my favorite part of the beer. Not my favorite example of the style.

02-23-2010 01:51:28 | More by Popkas

Indiana

07-14-2014 10:04:26 | More by zombiebeergut
avwrite

2.8/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

A - Very dark, black color. Not much visibility due to color.

S - Strong, hoppy smell.

T - Extremely bitter and hoppy. Flavor is a bit overpowering

M - Does not sit in well. Overbitterness doesn't make it smooth going down.

O - Definitely for those who want a full powered, full flavored beer, but not something you can drink on a recreational basis.

07-05-2014 22:35:44 | More by avwrite
broken22

3.6/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

So I have been walking past this bottle of beer at the store for a while. The label is what initially caught my eye. I pick up the bottle to see what its all about and there isn't any description at all on the bottle so I put it back. I went to their website and they only say something like "MOST EPIC BEER EVEH!" (you need to read that in your best 300 movie voice) Since I'm a big dark beer fan I couldn't resist and finally purchased one to try it out. I figure with the high alcohol content that a lot can go wrong but still end up tasting pretty good.

So I pop and pour this thing out. Not a lot of head is forming at all and it is a little lighter than expected but definitely not light. This beer smells great. It has a nice coffee chocolate smell to it, so things are looking good so far and I am ready to taste this bad boy. Well much like I was expecting from the pour this thing is rather light on the mouth as its not to thick. The flavor is pretty complex. The initial taste is a sweet caramel and then the finish is a nice bitter chocolate. The bitterness really hangs on and fades out slowly. You can definitely notice the higher alcohol content taste as it is also a little sharp in the beginning.

So I'm pretty happy with this beer. I'm glad to this thing ended up being OK. I think the brewery could a better job on this beers label by putting a little more info about the beer. I'm cool with neat looking labels but I don't want to feel like this is the coolest thing about the beer. I want to know a little bit about the beer before I buy it. So if you looking for a new dark beer to try give this one a shot. My local beer store is selling these for $10.99 per 22oz bottle.

02-19-2011 05:26:26 | More by broken22
Dlish

2.63/5  rDev -30.8%

A- Pours black, with a kaki head, and very good head retention.

S- Well I poured this, and have let this warm up for about 5 minutes, and I'm getting not much arouma, just some malt, marshmellow, and a bit of toasted malt. Not impressive at all for a imperial stout!

T- Very dark roasted malt, Chocolate, very grainy, even the toasted malt taste a little off. Bit of hops at the end, they come through with a lot of alpha acid, that you exspect in an IPA. I mean you exspect big IBU for a imperial stout but its so off. I'm not impressed by this taste at all.

M&D- The bitterness of the hops are pretty lasting and and don't mix well for this blend of malts. Little alcohol burn. I'm about half way through this pint, and i'm not looking forward to finishing this. This imperial has a lot to work on, i'm a huge fan and not impressed at all. Get on it BEER valley!

02-22-2011 03:46:23 | More by Dlish
caresville

3.4/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

received this one from saulcharlesworth in an under 100 BIF, thanks!!

a- dark and night and thicker than most stouts. decent sized tan head with minimal lacing.

s- lots of roasted malts going on here, hints of chocolate syrup, mocha coffee beans and some coal.

t&m- thick and smooth, heavy heavy heavy on the roastyness, lots of malts and chocolate. hints of coffee and raisins.

d- not too complex but not super boring. the flavors dont all mesh particularly well together but thats not a terrible thing, it kept me interested throughout the beer.

03-08-2010 01:58:13 | More by caresville
felipe2toes

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured a deep and brooding black, with a thick 2-finger pillowy and khaki head.

Smelled of roasted malts, milk chocolate, and vanilla. There were even leather and wood aromas after the beer warmed up a bit.

Lots of bitter chocolate and coffee on the palate, but the bitterness wasn't overwhelming--nice balance of malty sweetness. Also faint notes of bourbon and vanilla.

I liked the carbonation on this beer, nice bittersweet finish as well.

Although there wasn't much hot alcohol in the flavor, the 11% abv was noticeable after finishing the entire bottle.

12-28-2009 03:47:41 | More by felipe2toes
pdxbeerdrinker

Oregon

04-12-2012 03:47:46 | More by pdxbeerdrinker
TheBeerCarl

Idaho

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

This stout poured out with a nice deep brown headwith reddish tint. The beer it self is practically a black hole with no light escaping.

The smell hits right away with strong coffee and notes of brown sugar. While the beer is 11% ABV, there is next to no heat on the nose

The first flavor to hit my tongue was vanilla, and then coffee, whiskey, coffee, and a hint of cherry. Also this stout definitely has its fair share of residual sugar. Be sure not to spill any down the side of the glass or your hand will be stuck there permanently the next time you go for a drink.

This stout had way too much carbonation. The mouthfeel could be a lot smoother. The carbonation takes away from the flavor.

All in all, it is a decent stout but I'm not sure I'm gonna spend another $10 on it. If they tone down the residual sugar and the carbonation, I'll consider it though.

02-09-2011 17:07:57 | More by TheBeerCarl
dalion037

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I bought this stout on a stout buying frenzy and i was impressed on what I found (and so was my wife). I poured it into a 22 ounce scooner and it had over four inches of head that took forever to burn off. The color was a typical bark brown stout color. The smell was of a nice chocolate and coffee aroma. The taste was a bittery, chocolatey, champagney taste. The mouthfeel was higher in effervenecent than expected but we got used to it ver quick. Of yeah, we finished the bottle so it was definately drinkable.

03-08-2008 04:57:35 | More by dalion037
QuentinCompson

4.28/5  rDev +12.6%

large bottle into red Dixie cup

A - Head looked nice and yummy, falling into a malty brown for a long, enjoyable pour, dark lacing into the sides of the cup

S - Smoke, burnt oak, chocolate, coffee, hops, caramel

T-M - Malty smoked chocolate brew, deep flavor, hoppy to the max, raisins perhaps within dark coffee swill. Super tasty stout.

D - Really enjoyed this one; extremely drinkable; I look forward to grabbing this one again sometime.

04-28-2008 06:13:36 | More by QuentinCompson
Reeba

06-03-2012 02:02:27 | More by Reeba
Pexkool

Mexico

3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Poured a huge chocolate-colored head that overflowed the glass and made a mess in my table. The color is pitch black, no light goes through this beer.

S - Smells like licorice and brown sugar. Spicy and a hint of chocolate, well hidden.

T - Hoppy, strong licorice flavor, coffee and roasted malts and a touch of bitter chocolate at the end.

M - Not as smooth as other stouts I've had, but the mouthfeel isn't unpleasant at all. Little carbonation and pleasant bitterness.

Overall, a very good imperial stout. I enjoyed it a lot, over other imperial stouts I've had because the flavor wasn't as strong or complex. I would recommend it and have it again.

05-13-2012 03:41:04 | More by Pexkool
borrachoso69

10-01-2013 01:38:53 | More by borrachoso69
raiser

1.55/5  rDev -59.2%

Ick! I believe Black Flag is an ant and roach spray.
I think I may have grabbed the wrong stuff by mistake.

I tried 3 separate sips of this, thinking I must be off, but I still couldn't stomach it. Every other "bad" beer I have tried has been fixable via mixology. This beer went straight to the drain. This was my FIRST ever drain pour. I couldn't fathom a way to save it. Honestly this is my favorite beer style, and the reviews are stellar, so I figure I have to have had a bad bottle.

I recall seeing one around here that said "fresh hop" on it, so I double checked to be sure this one did not and am filing this review under the normal variant. I must have drank the fresh hop version with no ill side effects because I can't seem to locate it, and I never wrote a review on this beer before.

The Color was fine for an IS, and the smell was not noxious. But I can't even begin to explain the taste. I imagine if you were to drink gasoline (or ant spray) you might get something close. I didn't keep it in my mouth long enough to gauge the mouthfeel. Ick!

12-23-2008 22:13:55 | More by raiser
azagthoth

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

22 oz bottle poured into my shorty Double Bastard glass. Perhaps not the favored piece of glassware among the advocates, but I love sipping on my imperial stouts in this baby.

Appearance - As black as black can be. The head is of decent brown with inconsistent sized bubbles on one half of the head pour, while the other half is damn near perfectly smooth without any traces of bubbles.

Smell - The stalwart aspect of the brew right here. Absolutely beauteous with a strapping presence of caramel, chocolate, and roasted malt. I do not detect much in the way of coffee, as the 3 previously mentioned ingredients do all the speaking.

Taste - Very superb in the taste. The aforementioned smell is very much present and concurrent with the taste, as is the alcohol which is very intimidating for even the most extreme out there. What keeps me from giving the taste a higher rating is that a salt-like quality is in the finish (reminiscent to the Drake's Imperial Stout). But damn, they are so close to perfection with this stout and there is no denying that.

Mouthfeel - A tad bitter (which I consider good) and could perhaps use a bit more smoothness to it. The salt-like taste also keeps the mouthfeel from earning a bit higher of a rating. No complaints other than that.

Drinkability - For how present the alcohol is and the unfortunate salty aftertaste - this is very drinkable because the balanced taste and smell alone make up for any of the lesser qualities of this brew.

05-01-2008 03:29:16 | More by azagthoth
Miruguy

02-09-2013 14:33:21 | More by Miruguy
bovinecrusader

22oz bomber into a oversized wine glass.
Note: Stamp on bottle mentioned 2008 Hop Harvest Edition

Pours a fluid molasses color, with almost zero opacity. Great head retention, leaving a light khaki crown of decent lacing. Nose reminiscent of shortbread with a thin layer of milk chocolate, with light hints of fresh cherries hinting at the hop forward nature of the stout. Palate is very surprising... Hops add pepper, pine, lots of espresso, with a hint of raspberry acidity. Malts are secondary, adding a graham cracker-y, toasty support for the hops. Finishes dry, yet smooth, with lingering fruity hops on the back palate.

Drinkability? Well, I'm very impressed...most failed attempts at Imp. Stouts leave so much cloying residual sugars that it becomes warm, room temp coffee. However, the hops really help lift and lighten the stout, making it almost crisp with its delicate hop acidity. Drinks more like a hopped Scotch Ale, or a hopped Porter...

Great find and very surprising beer. Furthermore, everytime I've seen it in stores, its under $4.99 a bottle. Ain't nothin' wrong with that.

01-20-2009 08:03:49 | More by bovinecrusader
danielcc

4.28/5  rDev +12.6%

I saw this one at the store and grabbed it despite the hefty price tag ($8.50). It was one of those beers I've never seen anywhere before, so the WTF Factor kicked in and I got it.

Unlike a lot of other reviewers, I had no problem coaxing a huge head out of this beer. It poured a jet-black, almost-but-not-quite syrupy liquid (the viscosity of it is up there for sure) with plenty of head into a 22-oz mug I bought at WalMart for the purpose of doing bombers. The mug has served me well, and this beer looks great in it: no light comes through, despite holding it up to the window and almost trying to force sunlight through! The head on this IStout was almost too much; I was expecting very little (even less since it was a fairly easy pour), but it surprised me and almost foamed past the edges of the glass. The retention is great, too, as it' still got about a half-inch of head even halfway through the well-laced mug.

The smell is...different. It's not like what I'd associate with other IStouts I've tried. Think something along the lines of pine tar and I think you'd be close. I could faintly detect some kind of fruits; I think one reviewer put it best when he mentioned "rum-soaked raisins." It smells pretty good overall, and I think you could probably get a bit of a buzz just sniffing this stuff.

The taste is...excellent. It's got a piney note to it (thinking that must be the hops), and you can definitely taste the roasted coffee quality (must be the malts). I can get faint chocolate notes in the after-taste, too, along with the alcohol. A weird taste, kinda like an orange smacked into a pine tree, is showing up in the after-taste, too; I found this a bit off-putting at first, but it's definitely growing on me as I drink more.

I find the taste category to be inextricably linked to mouthfeel, and this beer is spot-on: it's thick, lightly-carbonated (despite the huge head), and easily quaffable. The alcohol seems fairly high (just over 11% ABV), and it's definitely there, giving an awesome warming effect. I served this thing cold (warming up a bit as I write this), and the hops were definitely there. It could stand to age a bit to mellow those same hops a tad, but I have no complaints.

Drinkability...definitely drinkable, but I don't think I'd session it. The high ABV makes it hard to throw back more than 2 of these; more than that, and I'd be in trouble :) Overall, an excellent beer, and I'd go for it again (despite the painful pricetag).

03-27-2007 00:28:41 | More by danielcc
Nikokristiansson

4.88/5  rDev +28.4%

a: coffee black but also pitch black with a half inch of tan head.

s: roasted almonds, coffee, oatmeal. was expecting to smell more chocolate but that comes in the taste.

t: superb taste to this. exactly what you want to taste when it comes to an imperial stout. malty, slight booze, but chocolate over powers booze even at 11%.

m: smooth. very smooth. nuts, still malty but very good on the tongue.

d: super easy to drink. this is the perfect ale for the colder months.

o: lots of expectations for this ale, lived up for sure. i think it's best if you left it warm up a bit. can imagine this going well with a hot fudge brownie rather than a burger although i doubt you could go wrong there either.

04-11-2011 00:58:05 | More by Nikokristiansson
Black Flag Imperial Stout from Beer Valley Brewing Co.