Carolina India Pale Ale - Carolina Brewing Company

good

Carolina Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Beer added by: GCBrewingCo on 05-19-2005

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Carolina India Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a nice slightly hazy amber with a diminishing head that still leaves spotty lacing. The aroma is a nice balance of light pine hops and sweet caramel. The taste is a decent balance that is just barely dominated by citrus and pine hops. The beer is light to medium bodied with low carbonation. This is a very enjoyable standard IPA, nothing extraordinary, but worthy of me supporting a local brewery.

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

Had on-tap at 42nd Street Oyster Bar in Raleigh, NC.

Waitress brought out an amber-orange colored ale with a thin khaki head that retained well and left fantastically dense lacing down the sides of the pint glass. Aroma was so-so, with watered-down notes of hops, citrus, and sweet caramels.

The taste was pretty spot on for an IPA. Lots of sweet caramel notes and a big, bitter hop presence. This beer surprised me, as it's one-thousand percent better than Carolina Brewing's Pale Ale (blech!). Anyway, the mouthfeel was crisp and refreshing, with a medium/thin body that left a great bitter finish that lingered long enough to compliment the meal. I'd definately have this again, but I get the feeling that the bottled brews probably leave a bit to be desired, so I'd only go for another draught.

3.53/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Carolina IPA had a distinct hop aroma typical for the IPA style. The taste matched the smell well; very spicy on the front with light flowery notes in the finish. The taste lingered on the tongue but was not overpowering or unpleasant. I enjoyed the texture of this IPA which was on the lighter side; I expected something a little bigger from an IPA. This beer is easy to drink, but I would not suggest gulping any IPA. The time put in to finding the intricate balance of hops and rich malts is well done and should be savored.
Cheers!

3.63/5  rDev -2.7%

Thanks to limesmut for this one.

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Bottled on date is unreadable...oh well...

What the hell is going on with this label?!?! A lion coming out of an egg? Must be something southern...interesting. I guess I'm just a damn yankee. Pours a nice copper hue with a one finger off-white head. Lacing is pretty good, sticks well to the glass. Smell is a nice earthy citrus aroma with some sticky pine in there as well. To me, the taste of this seems to be more of a pale ale. Nice hop/malt balance, but not a big enough hop punch to make this an IPA. Very grassy malt flavor with a blend of citrus hop...unique flavor. Mouthfeel is pretty light/medium with a nice mild carbonation. Drinkability is quite good for an IPA, but once again, probably because it falls more into the Pale Ale category. Can't complain though, I enjoy this beer.

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

Pretty coppery color with a nice thick head. Lots of lacing on the glass and surface. Smell is nice citrusy floral hops. Perhaps not quite as hoppy as your typical American IPA. Nice citrusy grapefruity hop profile. A bit of toasted malt note is present and seems somewhat out of place. Medium full mouthfeel. Easily drinkable

2.65/5  rDev -29%

A- Thin off white head on a clear dark orange body with a few amber hues.
S- Grapefruit, orange, lemon. Light hops just more strong in the fruit aromas.
T- Light fruit flavors, not a big hop flavor, light bitterness, almost a light soap flavor, light malt flavor in the back.
M- Medium body with low to medium carbonation.
D- It is almost like a light pale ale. Kind of a light soap flavor that throws everything off. Not good at all.

3.58/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy body, somewhere between orange and golden, with a somewhat feeble head. Still, I like the color.

A very fragrant brew; tangerines, golden raisins and some herbal twang in there, too. There's even a sweet, candy-like scent that edges its way in. Hits you a full foot away from the glass!

I appreciate the hop content, which is ample, but there's something amiss here. A strange mustiness that would be right at home in a saison has invited itself into this IPA. It really interferes with the nice pine taste that is shining through at points. Also, that same sweet smell has translated into an unbalanced citrus taste. There's a lot right with this beer but more wrong.

Not overly carbonated and there is no residual oiliness that sometimes plagues hoppy beers. However, the screwy balance of tastes makes this a beer that I'm not likely to seek out again.

Thanks to Lhasa for the taste

4.15/5  rDev +11.3%

As I live about 5 miles from the brewery, I always try to have their product in my fridge. Their IPA is, in my opinion, there best year-round brew, so I try always to have some on hand.

A: Pours a light copper with an OK head. I'm sure I could get more out of it with a more vigorous pour, but who has the time for that? The head dies down after a bit and leaves bits of lace in my glass.

S: Nothing overpowering, but nice none the less. A deep undertone of earthy hops, almost dirt like. Some mild fruit and maltiness up front to act as slight foils to the hops.

T: Again, not overpowering, and as far as an IPA goes, not that complex. The tastes really blend well, very balanced if I do say so. Matliness eventuall turns into a grassy, bitter hop flavor that doesn't overwhelm. Much like the smell, nothing overpowering. As far as IPAs go, this one can be considered tame, but this will contribute to its drinkabilty.

M&D: Nice mouthfeel. Really what a beer should feel like. Slight carbonation, medium body. Feels like you could just let it wander in your mouth for as long as you wanted and it would still be a nice beer. Drinkability is excellent. If ever there was an IPA that I could sip while relaxing or take to a tailgating session, this one is it.

What can I say? I've put off reviewing this beer for a while because I didn't want to do it any injustice. I still feel my review is lacking, so this is one I will definately revisit as I develope my reviewing skills. I really love this beer, probably the first I have really taken a keen liking to. Is it perfect, of course not. But it's absolutely a great beer from pretty damn good brewery right in my back yard. I can't recommend it enough if you are looking for a nice IPA for any occassion.

3.33/5  rDev -10.7%

Compliments of AkSmokedporter
12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A--- Poured a hazy copper with thin white head.

S--- Caramel malt, apricot and noble hops.

T--- Spicy and rye like. I detected a little of brown sugar. The hop flavor and aroma tasted like a blend of west coast and noble hops.

M--- A little on the thin side.

D---More of a pale ale then IPA. I could drink this on a regular basis and I really enjoyed it.

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

This was much like the Carolina Pale Ale, but naturally hoppier. There was a good balance between the malt and hops; it was quite bitter, but there seemed to be more flavoring hops than anything. Unlike the Carolina Pale Ale, I would drink this while out of the state as it is one of the more balancced IPAs I have had.

3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

S - 12oz. bottle, much thanks to doppelmeup for this tasty little christmas treat. (ss '06)

A - Honey amber pour, head is off white and is nicely tucked around the corners.

S - Hop floral aromas purge from the glass, solid malt backbone, familiar smell. I dig it.

T - Citrusy, hoppy, slightly sweet on the tip of the tongue, dry on the palate in the finish, grassy.

M - Crisp, smooth, dry, gripping.

D - Great session brew. Thanks again Dave.

4.38/5  rDev +17.4%

This is one of my favorites. The Carolina Brewing Company is about two miles up the road from me and these guys don't add any preservatives. I get it fresh and it makes other beers that I have tried pale in comparison (no pun intended).

I would recommend this fine example of craft brew to anyone who likes an IPA with a nice grapefruit hop edge. I love it!!!

3.28/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From right up the road in Holly Springs, I find this to be NC's most underrated brewery in my samples so far. Color is light amber with little head or real signs of life. Nose is surprisingly malty for an IPA and somewhat in the adjunct range as well. Not the start I was hoping for.

Okay, that's more like it. Taste is bold and full with initial strong malt flavors with legitimate hoppiness coming on nicely in the second half of the swallow and carrying on into the aftertaste. Slightly metalllic aftetaste. Mouthfeel is a touch watery.

A bit of a disappointment but I'll be giving it another shot at some point.

4.47/5  rDev +19.8%

Straight up amber color, and nice soapy looking hop oily head. Straggely bits of lace move around the glass. Nose is an ultra balance of floral and earthy, pine and citrus hops smoothed into sweet toasty caramel and bready malts. Quite pleasing. Taste is layered and full. Similar variety of hops with a healthy amount of gritty, full maltiness. A very well blended well done IPA. Very enjoyable. Fairly basic, but thorough in flavors. I like the mouthfeel a lot too. There's a good solid medium, almost full body. It hold the flavors together great. The carboation holds up just right. It is moderate and lasts steadily throughout and tingles on the tongue after the finish. Nice and smoothly full too. Drinkability is great, what can I say.

Thsi took me by suprise a little. I expected it to be decent but it hs proved to be way more than just decent. Balanced to the extreme.

4.38/5  rDev +17.4%

Clean amber color with a really nice looking sticky, soapy off-white head that leaves behind some loose lace. Ahhh...the aroma actually brings memories of Ipswitch IPA - dark, earthy hops, citrus and sap with a more than solid malt backing. Flavor is delicious as well with its oily floral hop profile and a generous amount of gritty malts to balance it perfectly. Real nice texture in the mouth, medium-fullish with a rock solid bitterness.

Wow, I have a feeling this one's going to be in my fridge a lot. I could picture a Mercury Brewing label on this. It doesn't go out of its way to be over-the-top, out of control hoppy, it just has fantastic balance.

An excellent IPA with influences in both America and England.

3.88/5  rDev +4%

Had this on-tap at 42nd Street Oyster Bar where the lighting was poor.

Decent head; medium amber color. Hop character was on par with pine and citrus in the aroma.

Ritz cracker malt holds up a nice hop forward taste. The sweetness of this brew was relatively long lived staying around while the moderate bitterness of the hops subsided.

A well harnessed and very drinkable IPA.

3.68/5  rDev -1.3%

This is an enjoyable American IPA. It is a nice, hazy light amber pour and a nice smell of citrusy fruits and hops. The taste begins with sweetness and then is dominated by bitter hops into the aftertaste, above average for this style of beer. A crisp mouthfeel with a good balance of the carbonation. It was easy to drink the first, the 2nd was nice as well but I don't know how many more I could have had.

If you have the opportunity to try this brew, go for it.

3.78/5  rDev +1.3%

CBC IPA is a good example of the style.

A: Somewhat pale compared to most other IPAs. Hazy, with a very modest head. No retention and low lacing.

S: Fruity, floral and spicy hops. Slight notes of malt and sweetness.

T: Notes of grapefruit and slightly grassy. Strong malt backbone makes. I wish their were a stronger presence of hops. Bitterness is not strong enough, especially as the beer warms and becomes sweeter.

M&D: Medium body and drinkable.

Overall, a nice IPA. I will have this again.

2.9/5  rDev -22.3%

Thanks to AKSmokedPorter for the bottle.

Appearance: Crystal clear copper body, no carbonation visible at all, smallish white head.

Smell: Sweet fruity hops, citrus, berries, carmel malt, bubblegum stickiness. Very nice.

Taste: More malty than anything, the hops are subdued and not very bitter, this is hardly an IPA by today's standards. As a pale ale, not bad, but the hop bite is dissapointing, although does have a nice maltiness.

Drinkability: Not my favorite vs. the style, but still ok.

Had this at Easter dinner with some friends.

Poured into a pint glass with a deep amber color and a half inch thick and creamy head.

Smelled of fruit and hops with an aromatic floral bouquet that was not overly done.

Tasted crisp with a clean, bitter finish. A pleasant flavor, and what I was expecting from this beer. Not over the top bitter, but a well-balanced hop and bitter flavor.

Nice mouthfeel, with a moderate amount of carbonation and a clean palate after drinking, leaving you wanting more without leaving you with a bad aftertaste.

Overall a very solid beer that you could bring to any party and be welcomed. A solid brew by Carolina Brewery.

Bought a six pack for the weekend after my wife had it on draft and loved it. Poured a dark orange almost light brown color. White head was decent but not massive, lacing throughout the tasting. Total hop smell, piney and citrus. Smooth finish, a good ipa, I enjoyed the six pack.

Cograts CBC on 10 years, love the 10 year bottle caps and the "cbc turned 10 on 7-3-05- all it takes is a liver and a dream."

3.63/5  rDev -2.7%

appearance: The pour creates a very low head that quickly disappears, leaving sparse bubbles and a ring behind. The beer is a copper/amber color.

smell: Big and spicy not-so-fresh hop aromas take center stage, but a touch of sweet malt does provide some balance. The malts provide a light caramel sweetness as well as some fruity hints (spiced apple?).

mouthfeel: The carbonation is a high medium, and the body just lighter than medium.

taste: A light, clean malt sweetness is first noticed. Then comes a tea like hop flavor, with a moderate bitterness coming in at the finish. Nothing exciting, but tastes pretty good.

drinkability: pretty drinkable, but nothing special that would keep me coming back for more

A bottled on date of 1/11/06 and a best by date of 4/11/06 are printed on the label. This is a pretty fresh one, only ten days in the bottle. Definately has potential, but it lacks the character necessary for me to rate it higher, as I would like to do.

3.95/5  rDev +5.9%

12oz. bottle provided by AKSmokedPorter via BS-BIF

Pours a hazy copper color with a white head that fades to a ring around the glass. Decent lacing.

Nice citrusy aroma with a caramel underbelly. Quite nice.

Fresh citrusy hop flavor upfront with a slight caramel malty appearance. A bit of a hop bite jumps in before finishing rather clean and citrusy.

Nice creamy body. Smooth texture.

A fine easy drinking IPA. Carolina is on my mind.

3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

Presentation: 12oz brown glass longneck generic bottle, blue/yelloe/white on black label

Appearance: clear copper color, average off-white head, small but sticky lacing

Smell: malty and hoppy, very "intensive"

Taste: medium body, smooth mouth feel, malty and hoppy in good balance

Notes: very pleasant and above average

Pours a nice clear rich copper with a tight one finger white head,herbal/grassy hop dominates the aromas with an underlyin sweet fruit maltiness,well rounded and balanced IPA flavor wise there is a healthy dose of grassy,herbal hop but is matched with a lightly sweet malt backbone.Fruity and herbal not to big just right makes it easy to drink and savor,one of the better North Carolina brewed IPA's in my opinion.

Carolina India Pale Ale from Carolina Brewing Company