Lemp St. Louis Lager - Lion Brewery, Inc.

Lemp St. Louis LagerLemp St. Louis Lager

Lion Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Pale Lager |  ABV ?

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 02-18-2004

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.73/5  rDev +35.6%

Pours a crystal-clear bronze with golden highlights beneath a short but creamy head of bright white foam. The head retention is average, and it drops shortly to an average collar but does somehow manage to leave some minor splashes of lace about the glass. The nose offers some sweetish, grainy, and delicately caramelized malt that's laced with lightly spicy and floral hops. In the mouth it's medium-light bodied with a fine-bubbled, median carbonation that leaves it nicely crisp. The flavor offers a surprisingly nice amount of floral and spicy hop flavor amidsts its lightly sweet and delicately caramelish malt. A firm bitterness balances it quite well, and it finishes drying with some residual spicy hops that fade to reveals a bit of sticky malt left underneath. Quite clean, and very well made; this is an interesting lager that offers a good balance of character and drinkability. An excellent cross-over beer for persons looking to move forward from basic, lightly hopped macro brands.

3.72/5  rDev +35.3%

first off, this is better than the other STL beers, meaning AB products.
pours a dark yellow with a hint of orange, a white head that dissipates kinda fast but not instantly and even after it stays around the edge. laces a little.
smells of corn, yeast, malt, and something sweet maybe caramel or something.
taste is pretty much like the smell, but the malt seems to come through a little more with a slight hoppiness at the rear end.
feels good going down, nice and smooth, medium bodied, and not a lot of carbonation.
very drinkable imo but i like to try new stuff so it will probably be a while before i get it again.

3.6/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Well, I was in Wilkes-Barre over the weekend and stopped in to see Lenny at Wyoming Valley Beverage. They purport to have a good selection of imports and micros and I needed a little supplementation in the cellar. I went up and down the aisles until I stopped in front of a massive pile of Lemp cases. I recognized the name and for those not familiar, St. Louis is emblazoned on the case. I flipped it over and around looking for other clues but there were none. At less than $12.00 a case, I figured it was worth a shot. Lenny said he didn't know where it was from but it had just arrived the day before. After paying up front, I ripped the case open a bit and pulled out a bottle. It should have been obvious to me but I finally found the statement it was brewed and bottled for Lemp by the Lion.

Well, this is a slightly different kettle of fish than Lionshead. There's a nice malt nose, decent looking head, and reasonably rich amber color. Flavorwise, I would say way less corn, better balance, ample hops, and decently smooth. I kinda like this beer, despite all the more knowledgeable comments below. Sure, the head doesn't stick around too long but the lacing is real. I think the carbonation is adequate and I'm hoping the freshness has something to do with this. It does have a lingering finish that's pleasant and is overall drinkable. Consider the price! I think this is a real beer at a great value.

3.55/5  rDev +29.1%

This is a start-up beer allegedly brewed with the old St. Louis Lemp Beer dynasty recipe. I cannot say for sure why, but I like it. It drinks smooth and crisp and has a nice unusual finish. I suspect you will either love it or hate it. I have not located the beer outside the St. Louis region but when shopping for beer I will almost always pick up a six-pack or two of longnecks. I suspect part of why I enjoy Lemp is because it is not part of the world-wide beer congolmerate. In short, its worth trying. I have spent far more for beers I like far less.

3.51/5  rDev +27.6%

“Americas First Lager Beer” Now brewed by Lion in PA. And yeah, I thought this was just a novelty beer years ago, but it’s still arriving, so time for a try.

Hey! Not to damn bad – clear sunshine yellow / amber pour topped by a decent white head. Do note husked and cooked veggies and corn in the aroma. But a semi-malty brew in the quaff. Well balanced, crisp and dry. Yeah, this was actually refreshing and tasty. I’d have no problem popping a few of these guys.

3.34/5  rDev +21.5%

Poured very cold from bottle. Pretty beer, nice deep golden orange with smooth carbonation and light tan foam that sticks to the glass. Very nice appearance.

Grassy, grainy smell. Sweetness.

Strange taste. Tastes old, musty-like. A little fruitiness near the end. Hard to describe. Corn and sour apples and musk, some almond/nutty in there too. Tastes like it came out of one of the Lemp's caves... Interesting.

Feels watery, very light carbonation.

Great with my dinner of pierogies and sausage. With the great bottle design and the fascinating history of the Lemps, it's hard not to like this beer. Overall a good beer, a little odd. Like the family who made it I guess.

3.18/5  rDev +15.6%

Bought Beer from Lukas Liquor in a Mix-A-Six. (1st Beer of Night)

Appearance:Has an orange body

Smell: smells like a familiar Belgian I've had lately

Taste: Has a Metallic and dry taste.

Mouthfeel: Almost no carbonation

Drinkability: Has Metallic taste but goes down smooth and a beer I can go back to. Would only be a beer I would enjoy as a first of the night.

3.12/5  rDev +13.5%

A: Pours pretty clear, full of carbonation with a small head that quickly fades. Basically standard macro fare.

S: Slight amount of hops, a little bit of flower here and there, but not much at all.

T: Stronger than the normal Budweiser taste, with a much more detectable hop note.

M: A little thicker and stickier than I had expected. Still, goes down smoothly.

D: Fairly high, but not quite as high as some other domestic brews, as this one feels a little stronger than the standard fare. Still, not a terrible pick up if you're looking for something simple.

3.01/5  rDev +9.5%

A-poured a predictible light bronze with about 1/2 inch of foam that quickly faded into a light lacing.

S-Some light toasted corn notes were almost all I could pick up

T-Not too bad actually. A little malt, balanced nicely with a touch of herbal hop finish. I couldn't think of anything else I would have asked for out of this beer. It isnt amazing by any means but if I wanted amazing I would have paid alot more for something else.

M-A very nice velvety feel cut with moderate carbonation. I was actually very pleased in this department because it felt "good" not thin and overcarbonated like so many american lagers.

D-I have to rate this pretty high. Not because this beer was that great but because this beer didn't do anything wrong. It was exactly what I think a basic American Lager should be. Light, crisp, refreshing, unobtrusive, mindless. I could easily drink this again and again. This beer is not full of flavor but I dont think it was meant to be. I think it was meant to be an easygoing light flavored "just finished mowing the lawn" type beer and I think that this beer pulls it off pretty well.

3.01/5  rDev +9.5%

A -- A copper hued burnt orange brew that pours to a two finger khaki head which setlles to a light froth, leaving fine lacing.

S -- Roasty and bready malt characteristics, some mild earthy / herbal hop aroma.

T -- Big bready malt right up front, countered by the light presence of bittering and floral hops.

M -- Mid body, low-mid carbonation, soft and easygoing.

D -- Overall, a halfway decent beer; I would happily choose something of this caliber over the typical American Light Lager but I could arguably find a better pre-pro wherever I may find myself.

2.92/5  rDev +6.2%

A dark golden yellow pour that is slightly clouded. The head quickly disappears.
Citrus, wheat and a hint of malt gives it a pleasant aroma.
The taste of this beer is unbalanced. The first sip give way to a malt but the finish has a hint of citrus. There is no body to the beer. It is mediocre attempt at a beer.

2.9/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured this Pale Lager from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass Poured a golden orange color, produced an average white head , featured poor retention and left little lacing on the glass. The aroma contained some malted grain and a wee bit of hops. Light in body, there is some sort of a mineral taste that overshadows the malted grain- Im not sure if this is the original recipe for Lemp Lager, (which was the nations first lager beer.) - That said its decent, worth a try but not something I would go back too.

2.88/5  rDev +4.7%

I felt that this was a very good interpretation of the English style. It strongly resembled a lot of the common British name brand ales. It brown body with great creamy tan head and lace. The aroma was very roasty and malty The taste was about the same just a little more bitter than the smell with minimal wood and nut tones. The mouthfeel is creamy and full.

2.82/5  rDev +2.5%

A - Poured out a clear, orange color with gold highlights. It had little to no head retention and left no lace.

S - Aroma was a little weak. Some grainy, bready aroma. No hop or floral aromas.

T - It was sweet and bready with some nice caramel flavors. A touch of bitter hops - really quite mild.

M - It was crisp, sharp and fairly smooth. A light lager that is good but lacked the dry finish I expect from a good lager.

D - This is an okay lager. Not something I'd regularly pick up or recommend to anyone.

2.82/5  rDev +2.5%

Medium gold color. Thin and weakly toned white. Retention is average at best. Lacing is minimal. Aroma is decent. Hay and lemongrass notes as well as some clean malt tones. The taste seems "macro-ish" to me. I'd be surprised if adjuncts weren't used in substantial quantities in this beer. There's a corny sweetness. A dry, grainy finish. A thin mouthfeel. And fizzy carbonation. Some macro lagers taste better than this. But I should preface that statement by saying that this is a beer I would drink if somebody handed it to me at a party.

2.73/5  rDev -0.7%

Light bodied, clear bronze gold color with a moderate white head.

Aroma is primarily grain with some biscuity tones and grassy floral notes.

Taste is also primarily grain with some light malt sweetness and, unfortunately, a hint of cardboard. There is a grassy/floral/citrus overtone as well. Slightly dry at the finish for a lager, but interesting.

This is drinkable and nicely refreshing on that basis. Flavor thins Quickly as it warms, so get it on down for best results.

2.72/5  rDev -1.1%

I was looking forward to trying a St. Louis beer that wasn't made by AB. Although I noticed it's actually brewed in PA.

The color was that of most lagers..a darker yellow than say a Bud Light. The head quickly dissapated after the pour. I thought the taste was pretty good. A little too hoppy for my liking but overall not bad. Would recommend as an alternative to the lager macro beers like a Bud or Miller.

Hope this helps..my first review.

2.71/5  rDev -1.5%

pours out a light amber colour, a bit darker than your average lager...a thin fine head, little retention and sparse lace. adjuncty corn nose...a bit grainy and grassy, too. for the most part, tastes like any other macro selection out there that uses corn as an adjunct...with the same crisp mouthfeel and lightish body. adjunct aftertaste and crisp, dry finish. if this came in thirty packs for a cheap price, it might be worth it...but i'm sure this sixer was overpriced. a marketing gimmick aimed at the the folks in the st. louis area. i'd rather drink bud or michelob or whatever from A-B than shell out any cash for this.

anyway...this was a x-mas gift (among a hoarde of schlafly stuff) from my brother who lives in st. louis. thanks, bro!

2.67/5  rDev -2.9%

After reading about the original Lemp brewery and how prohibition killed them and Lemp Jr put a bulllet in his heart I was suprised to find a beer called Lemp still being made. Well this is not the original Lemp it comes from PA and just uses the name but I bought it so I might as well review it. Looks ok clear yellow with a decent head. Smell is malty, a nice start. The taste has a very disticnt flaw. Cooked, make that overcooked vegie taste. This really needs to be reworked. It is not the worst lager beer I have had but could be o so much better and that is dissapionting.

2.63/5  rDev -4.4%

Clear amber one-finger fizzy head that quickly fades to spotty thin foam.

Smells like sweet light and carmalts with spicy carbonic whiffs.

Slightly roasted sweet malt with a metallic finish. Watery impression on finish. Small step from your average macro lager.

Aggressive carbonation bites the tip of my tongue. As the beer warms and loses all that fizz it gets a bit sticky, sweet, which makes the drinkability not so good.

2.63/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance: Pours a clear, orange-hued body with no more than a thin ring of white bubbles on top. Swirl - swirl - nothin'.

Smell: Sweetish, lightly bready nose with a vague estery fruit hint and touch of floral European hops.

Taste: Upfront is a sweetish, stale bready (bordering on grainy) taste. Touch of fruit. Faintly floral, lightly spicy hops, though the bitterness is a bit lacking, leaving you with a semi-dry finish and some bleak flavors lingering into the aftertaste. You're lifeless and a tad unclean, Lemp.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Though it paired well with the Johnny Cash song "Ring of Fire", it's not one to stand on its own really. Sadly, Lemp is one to skip. I dare say it'd even come up short when compared to some of the macro lagers.

2.53/5  rDev -8%

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a pils glass. No date. The murky body was a dull golden brown. The head was bright white and persistent.

Smell was slightly vegetal. No hints of hops.

Taste was sweet vegetables, carrots or corn. There was some tart counterbalancing. Fruity, more like an ale than a lager.

Mouthfeel was smooth with a medium body.

2.53/5  rDev -8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. bottle with no dates.

Poured a clear, dark straw with a small white head that settled into a collar.

Crisp and clean nose, not much of anything going on here, just some faint malt sweetness.

A little thin and watery on the palate, malts are overly sweet and unbalanced in comparison to threshold hopping.

I'm glad this was offered at a friends house, I would have felt robbed if I purchased it. On par with some macro lagers, no way of telling if it just wasn't fresh and the hops had mellowed to a nonexistant state.

2.48/5  rDev -9.8%

I always wanted to try this beer, I finally got a sample pack of beer with this one in it. I am not impressed with this beer at all. It is not the worst by any means but I think I was correct in not picking up this beer for the longest time. I don't think I will be trying this one again.

2.46/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Bright tangerine with minimal visible carbonation. The toasted bagel colored cap was about a bagel thick after the pour and doesn't look too shabby. In the end, a respectable amount of lace sticks to the glass.

The aroma is sour and musty and ale yeast fruity. Most all-malt lagers smell like grain with a handful of German hops. It isn't bad, it's just unexpected and isn't consistent with the style (note: since changed to American pale lager). Warming ushers in a hint of nastiness.

The flavor is pretty much a carbon copy of the nose, which means that it isn't any good either. Lemp St. Louis still strikes me as an estery ale, with all manner of strange flavors competing for attention. Clean it is not.

Let's see... lightly toasted sour grain mixed with old peach skins and soaked in mineral water. It isn't nearly that bad, but I'm struggling to come with words that capture the flavor profile accurately. It's both sweet (early) and bitter (late), though neither one dominates at any point along the way. Yep, this is an strange one.

Lemp isn't quite limp, but it's damn close. That's what happens when a light body is coupled with too few bubbles. A better mouthfeel would be nice, but it wouldn't change the scores on either side of it.

Lion Brewery's Lemp St. Louis Standard Lager Beer is supposed to be a recreation of the first lager brewed in America, by Adam Lemp, in St. Louis, in 1840. The brand was brought back to life by a group of investors in 2004. This is either a lousy recreation of the original or the original died for good reason. Some things are best left on the scrapheap of history.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Lemp St. Louis Lager from Lion Brewery, Inc.