Lemp St. Louis Lager - Lion Brewery, Inc.

Lemp St. Louis LagerLemp St. Louis Lager

poor

Lion Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Pale Lager |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 02-18-2004)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
BeerIsland

3.6/5  rDev +31.4%

Well, I was in Wilkes-Barre over the weekend and stopped in to see Lenny at Wyoming Valley Beverage. They purport to have a good selection of imports and micros and I needed a little supplementation in the cellar. I went up and down the aisles until I stopped in front of a massive pile of Lemp cases. I recognized the name and for those not familiar, St. Louis is emblazoned on the case. I flipped it over and around looking for other clues but there were none. At less than $12.00 a case, I figured it was worth a shot. Lenny said he didn't know where it was from but it had just arrived the day before. After paying up front, I ripped the case open a bit and pulled out a bottle. It should have been obvious to me but I finally found the statement it was brewed and bottled for Lemp by the Lion.

Well, this is a slightly different kettle of fish than Lionshead. There's a nice malt nose, decent looking head, and reasonably rich amber color. Flavorwise, I would say way less corn, better balance, ample hops, and decently smooth. I kinda like this beer, despite all the more knowledgeable comments below. Sure, the head doesn't stick around too long but the lacing is real. I think the carbonation is adequate and I'm hoping the freshness has something to do with this. It does have a lingering finish that's pleasant and is overall drinkable. Consider the price! I think this is a real beer at a great value.

08-10-2008 20:21:42 | More by BeerIsland
skeetermoses

Oklahoma

2.42/5  rDev -11.7%

I always wanted to try this beer, I finally got a sample pack of beer with this one in it. I am not impressed with this beer at all. It is not the worst by any means but I think I was correct in not picking up this beer for the longest time. I don't think I will be trying this one again.

12-07-2008 02:30:24 | More by skeetermoses
CPeterson

A -- A copper hued burnt orange brew that pours to a two finger khaki head which setlles to a light froth, leaving fine lacing.

S -- Roasty and bready malt characteristics, some mild earthy / herbal hop aroma.

T -- Big bready malt right up front, countered by the light presence of bittering and floral hops.

M -- Mid body, low-mid carbonation, soft and easygoing.

D -- Overall, a halfway decent beer; I would happily choose something of this caliber over the typical American Light Lager but I could arguably find a better pre-pro wherever I may find myself.

09-13-2011 22:18:51 | More by CPeterson
ttu94

2.63/5  rDev -4%

After reading about the original Lemp brewery and how prohibition killed them and Lemp Jr put a bulllet in his heart I was suprised to find a beer called Lemp still being made. Well this is not the original Lemp it comes from PA and just uses the name but I bought it so I might as well review it. Looks ok clear yellow with a decent head. Smell is malty, a nice start. The taste has a very disticnt flaw. Cooked, make that overcooked vegie taste. This really needs to be reworked. It is not the worst lager beer I have had but could be o so much better and that is dissapionting.

11-25-2007 03:43:57 | More by ttu94
ahentz

3.25/5  rDev +18.6%

04-30-2012 02:11:16 | More by ahentz
ghurux86

3.75/5  rDev +36.9%

first off, this is better than the other STL beers, meaning AB products.
pours a dark yellow with a hint of orange, a white head that dissipates kinda fast but not instantly and even after it stays around the edge. laces a little.
smells of corn, yeast, malt, and something sweet maybe caramel or something.
taste is pretty much like the smell, but the malt seems to come through a little more with a slight hoppiness at the rear end.
feels good going down, nice and smooth, medium bodied, and not a lot of carbonation.
very drinkable imo but i like to try new stuff so it will probably be a while before i get it again.

05-03-2005 06:25:52 | More by ghurux86
ch473

3.35/5  rDev +22.3%

Poured very cold from bottle. Pretty beer, nice deep golden orange with smooth carbonation and light tan foam that sticks to the glass. Very nice appearance.

Grassy, grainy smell. Sweetness.

Strange taste. Tastes old, musty-like. A little fruitiness near the end. Hard to describe. Corn and sour apples and musk, some almond/nutty in there too. Tastes like it came out of one of the Lemp's caves... Interesting.

Feels watery, very light carbonation.

Great with my dinner of pierogies and sausage. With the great bottle design and the fascinating history of the Lemps, it's hard not to like this beer. Overall a good beer, a little odd. Like the family who made it I guess.

01-17-2008 00:14:16 | More by ch473
assmasterson

3.13/5  rDev +14.2%

A: Pours pretty clear, full of carbonation with a small head that quickly fades. Basically standard macro fare.

S: Slight amount of hops, a little bit of flower here and there, but not much at all.

T: Stronger than the normal Budweiser taste, with a much more detectable hop note.

M: A little thicker and stickier than I had expected. Still, goes down smoothly.

D: Fairly high, but not quite as high as some other domestic brews, as this one feels a little stronger than the standard fare. Still, not a terrible pick up if you're looking for something simple.

12-20-2007 04:18:29 | More by assmasterson
rocketmotor

1.6/5  rDev -41.6%

Bought this thinking it would be nice to have the first big name beer from St Louis, what a mistake. If you like corn/grain flavored and smelling beer go for it. I was very disapointed, as the smell and and taste reminded me of that corn crap beer Natural Light.

The beer poured with very little head which subsided quickly. The beer appeared a slightly dark straw color, the best feature it had IMO.

The smell of the beer was strongly tainted by corn and grain. I can't get past the smell, just too much for me. I know it may fit the style, but it is too strong. Very little hop scent.

I thought the flavor was too dominated by the corn/grain adjuncts. There was a light, sweet, malt flavor, strong adjunct flavor, and very little hop bitterness. The majority of the bitterness was provided by the carbonation.

I paid $8.00 for a six pack and I expected a premium type beer. This is a cheap adjunct brew for college kids. Don't get suckered into buying this beer for the history of the LEMP brewery. Just read the six pack carrier and set it down, buy a real beer instead, or buy Natural Light and save yourself about $4.00 a six pack.

11-03-2004 22:14:50 | More by rocketmotor
mhaws000

Oklahoma

3.05/5  rDev +11.3%

A-poured a predictible light bronze with about 1/2 inch of foam that quickly faded into a light lacing.

S-Some light toasted corn notes were almost all I could pick up

T-Not too bad actually. A little malt, balanced nicely with a touch of herbal hop finish. I couldn't think of anything else I would have asked for out of this beer. It isnt amazing by any means but if I wanted amazing I would have paid alot more for something else.

M-A very nice velvety feel cut with moderate carbonation. I was actually very pleased in this department because it felt "good" not thin and overcarbonated like so many american lagers.

D-I have to rate this pretty high. Not because this beer was that great but because this beer didn't do anything wrong. It was exactly what I think a basic American Lager should be. Light, crisp, refreshing, unobtrusive, mindless. I could easily drink this again and again. This beer is not full of flavor but I dont think it was meant to be. I think it was meant to be an easygoing light flavored "just finished mowing the lawn" type beer and I think that this beer pulls it off pretty well.

07-14-2007 07:13:09 | More by mhaws000
salukiKMO

2.7/5  rDev -1.5%

I was looking forward to trying a St. Louis beer that wasn't made by AB. Although I noticed it's actually brewed in PA.

The color was that of most lagers..a darker yellow than say a Bud Light. The head quickly dissapated after the pour. I thought the taste was pretty good. A little too hoppy for my liking but overall not bad. Would recommend as an alternative to the lager macro beers like a Bud or Miller.

Hope this helps..my first review.

11-18-2005 05:17:09 | More by salukiKMO
Anonymousmark

3.6/5  rDev +31.4%

This is a start-up beer allegedly brewed with the old St. Louis Lemp Beer dynasty recipe. I cannot say for sure why, but I like it. It drinks smooth and crisp and has a nice unusual finish. I suspect you will either love it or hate it. I have not located the beer outside the St. Louis region but when shopping for beer I will almost always pick up a six-pack or two of longnecks. I suspect part of why I enjoy Lemp is because it is not part of the world-wide beer congolmerate. In short, its worth trying. I have spent far more for beers I like far less.

02-04-2013 16:59:44 | More by Anonymousmark
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Lemp St. Louis Lager from Lion Brewery, Inc.