2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lionshead Pilsner - Lion Brewery, Inc.

Lionshead PilsnerLionshead Pilsner

poor

Lion Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: psugrad98 on 11-01-2002)
View: Beers (32) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 344 | Reviews: 154 | Show All Ratings:
BeerSox

4.33/5  rDev +49.3%

12oz bottle into pilsner glass.

Crystal clear light golden hue with a pearl white one finger head that slowly settles to an even cap.

Very light, biscuity grain. Very slight hop aroma in the background.

Very crisp and smooth grain flavor, with just a touch of biting hops toward the end. Light bodied.

I see that this one has had some unfavorable reviews, but I think for the style this one is about spot-on. The brewery seems to make three beers, mostly in the less-than-craft category, but they did well with something that's great for a hot summer day. Refreshing right out of the fridge. Recommended.

06-03-2009 00:18:12 | More by BeerSox
Dshaw

4.18/5  rDev +44.1%

Lionshead will always be one of my favorite beers. I used to buy a case of bottles of this every Friday for a while from the local Beverage. The taste smooth for sure goes down like water. But it is somewhat filling, i could probly only put down about 12 of these in one night no more than that. But all in all its a good beer im proud to be from PA when I drink this beer. GO STEELERS!

01-28-2011 19:30:19 | More by Dshaw
u2carew

A) Pours with a thick head, then settle just a bit. Tight, sticky lacing. Transparent. Visible upward carbonation. Gold in color.
S) Malty sweetness - light caramel, brown sugar notes. Just a touch of fruitiness lingers under the surface.
T) Malty sweet up front. Dry grainyness in the finish. A lingering sweet yet dryness in the aftertaste.
M) Smooth, with just an initial crisp CO2. Just a slight dryness. Light bodied.
D) A well crafted lager. I would definitely have another one of these.

07-20-2009 23:29:39 | More by u2carew
mempath

3.98/5  rDev +37.2%

ah, a go-to summer yard work brew! let's see how it goes inside in a tulip...

a: bright golden...looks like one of those rare 'micro' brews by a macro...nice head, full of life, not much lacing...settles fast

s: sweet malt with a citrus punch...but that's ghostly. something tangy sour in the second whiff. still, sweetness dominates. corn, too?

t: ya know, since i am focusing on it, i get a really nice malty biscuit. a swirl in the mouth betrays that almost annoying sweetness in the nose. this is light weight for sure, but there is plenty going on. for the price, this is a bargain. and a gentleman. well, lady. whatever...for what it IS ;)

m: actually very silky...not watery as expected. some body is detected. a swirl makes it foam up, but not an overly effervescent bubbliness to cover up any flavor (or lack thereof!).

i enjoyed the slow-go here with lionshead...but it really refreshes best when ice cold after or during yardwork! nothing 'nasty' here at all.

of course, don't drink it warm...

06-16-2009 23:11:38 | More by mempath
27Tripping

3.93/5  rDev +35.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Our new economic reality has a silver lining.

Lionshead Deluxe Pilsner. $14.09 a case.

That’s right, $14.09.

This brewery knows how to cheer up a customer. Besides the flavorful brew in the bottle, Lionshead has seen fit to include humor in their packaging.

“Best Head In Town” on the label. “There’s only one king around here, and you’re lookin’ at ‘em” proudly printed on each case.

Pairs especially well with your choice of any $2.99 Quick Check sub sandwich (do try the Italian), or enjoy with leftovers!

My next $50 “Federal Additional Compensation Program-Stimulus Payment” is earmarked.

Three cases of Lionshead, Sir. Gimme the change in Slim Jims.

07-02-2009 00:54:46 | More by 27Tripping
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.9/5  rDev +34.5%

If memory serves me, I picked this up at midtown in Tulsa

Pours an effervescent gold with one finger of pearl white head. Average head retention 7 lacing

S: Perfumy hops grainyness & a bit of lemon

T: Grainyness, honey malt & a touch of biscuitty malt up front. Apricot fruittyness, grainyness & flinty dryness are all there as this warms, some canned pears, plus a touch of cereal sweetness. Finishes crisp with slight metallic twang & some lemons

MF: Light/medium bodied with moderate carbonation, pretty good balance

Drinks fairly easy, not bad for the style, but after about 3, I'd be wanting more hops or malt or both..I certainly would take this over BMC or even some Michelobs out there

09-03-2009 01:09:41 | More by russpowell
thegodfather2701

3.88/5  rDev +33.8%

Pours a clear straw yellow with a fizzy white head. It smells like all adjunct lagers; corn, musty, and kind of sweet. The flavor is much like the nose as it is sweet with a hint of corn/malts. No real hop presence. It is crisp and refreshing. The mouthfeel is on par for the style maybe just slightly less carbonated. It is very drinkable given it is not that flavorful or complex. As far as the style goes its one of the best I have ever had. For the price its a steal.

04-02-2011 20:01:02 | More by thegodfather2701
slvrmon82

Delaware

3.85/5  rDev +32.8%

This is one of my favorite light beers. Being from central PA I cant find it down here in Delaware.

The appearance is a standard pale yellow. It has a little head that stays with it for a while.

The smell is very smooth and a little sweet.

The taste is by far better than most standard domestic beers. It is sweet and light and still nice and crisp.

The mouthfeel is a little thicker than most pilsners.

The drinkability is unbelievable. Especially at $14 a case of 24 loose bottles. A great summertime beer or a nice lunch beer as well.

04-09-2008 02:06:08 | More by slvrmon82
StaEva

3.85/5  rDev +32.8%

Good, inexpensive beer. Good yeasty wheat aroma with hints of grassiness.

Mild but satisfyinly wheaty flavor. Good yeast and carbonation. Pretty dry on the finish with slight hop bite on the sides during the exhale.

Well worth the money, and for the price, not likely to find much better. Good, affordable drinking beer.

04-29-2011 00:15:39 | More by StaEva
losingstreak

3.83/5  rDev +32.1%

I have tried many craft beers for much more money than Lionshead. As a cheap alternative for a party, or even for myself, it can not get better than this. I did read the reviewed and understand this is a macro-brew, but at $16 a case in Philadelphia, my friends nor I will complain.

It tastes light, yet it is called a pilsner. I do not mind, since many of them are consumed. It is a light beer in my mind, but it still has the affordability and taste that puts it above any of the other adjuncts that I have had.

It is the cheapest beer available in bottles by the case in Philadelphia and while that may detract some, it is a definite plus in my book. Brewed only miles away from relatives it is one of the best cheap beers available in my area. I am disappointed by the dismissive reviews of other drinkers.

01-16-2010 10:31:11 | More by losingstreak
palffyfan

3.8/5  rDev +31%

Appearance - Pale yellow with mild carbonation.

Smell - Sweet grainy smell, average strenght, did not upset me while drinking this brew.

Taste - Very sweet, refreshing taste, no hops or bitterness as the previous posters have mentioned (so this makes for a poor Pilsner?). Has a good deal of flavor altogether, but its hard to distinguish them exactly. This drinks like a macro lager but without any soapy/chemically processed taste.

Drinkability - Very drinkable, considering the price ($13 for a 24 pack) of this beer is cheaper than any of the other macrobrews out there. This beer is a must try for macro enthusiasts.

11-13-2007 04:53:53 | More by palffyfan
eagles22

3.8/5  rDev +31%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

ok lionheads best cheap beer you can buy i dont get why people around my area drink bud light ...when you can get lionshead for 10.99 a case or $50 for a 1/2 barrel come on this best is awesome...i can drink massive quanities of this beer ..its the best cheap beer in the world and o yeah you get little riddles on the bottom of the caps..

12-07-2008 15:32:12 | More by eagles22
GnomeKing

3.75/5  rDev +29.3%

If you're in the mood for an American-style light pilsner, then this beer, at $11 a case, will be hard to beat. True, it's a light pilsner, so no surprises are in store. And, yeah, it's light and thin...but those can be virtues if you want something really easy going, which I sometimes do.

So why do I like this beer as much as I do? The malt has a nice, albeit subtle, biscuity flavor. Also, it has a crisp, clean taste that isn't sullied by adjuncts, which I assume it uses. The aftertaste is nice too, which is rare among cheap beers.

03-25-2007 00:52:12 | More by GnomeKing
Getinthevan

3.75/5  rDev +29.3%

I had this while I spent Christmas vacation in Scranton, PA about a year back and this stuff was cheap as hell...a case of this for only $10! My god!

Appearance was very yellow, albeit almost sunshine gold at points, and it had a pretty nice head from a pilsner.

Smell was good, strong hops and corn throughout the brew.

Taste was very good, especially coming from such a cheap beer. I must've had the entire case in about two-three days tops. This stuff is really addicting and for a cheap beer, you truly can't beat it.

Mouthfeel was good, but not great. As it goes down quick and smooth, theres a nice hint of flavor to savor for a good second or two, but it quickly disappears.

Drinkability as I noted above is pretty top notch. It's a great beer for the holidays and the stuff gets addicting after a while. Good Wilkes-Barre brew! I highly recommend!

06-13-2008 00:22:43 | More by Getinthevan
tjsdomer2

3.7/5  rDev +27.6%

Appearance: This might be the palest beer I've ever seen. Almost looks a bit like carbonated water with some yellow coloring. For me that's not a bad thing though. The overall combination of this look with the active carbonation and heavy white head and foam makes this pretty nice.

Smell: Nothing special here. Basically clean, beery grain. No problems.

Taste/Mouthfeel: More beery grain with a hint of sweetness as well. I actually kind of like this. Mouthfeel comes across a bit like soda, but is definitely an upgrade over cheap macro lagers.

Drinkability: I could definitely drink a few of these over an hour or two with zero issues.

Overall: A safe, easy alternative to macro lagers.

10-14-2010 21:12:42 | More by tjsdomer2
oneeye

3.65/5  rDev +25.9%

Lionshead Pilsner is a fine Pilsner for it's style. It's a light bodied beer that's refreshing and easy to drink. Lionshead has a crisp light Pilsner taste with with subtle hops and earthy malts and corn. It has a thin mouthfeel but crisp and clean. The finish is dry and again is refreshing and light. Recommended.

09-29-2008 23:48:49 | More by oneeye
Dodt

3.63/5  rDev +25.2%

decide to try something different at the ball game , since the majority of the stand was Malternatives. i thought i give a lions head a try. not trying to make it this review like goldielocks but it wasn't to grainy or corny . the smell was just right. for the price it was just right.

09-03-2011 02:01:18 | More by Dodt
theozag

Louisiana

3.58/5  rDev +23.4%

I must admit, Lionshead pilsner surprised me. As pilsners go (at least in my experience) this is a more flavorful version of the style. The packaging of this brew has improved since it was first reviewed here - today The Lion Brewery has moved up to labels, and bottle caps printed on both sides - but the beer itself has lost none of its redeeming qualities. As I write this I am actually finishing off my first bottle:

Taste is overall quite good, with a pleasant blend of spice and a little hint of sweetness. Both flavors are fairly subtle, and do not detract from the malty smoothness of the beer. It is obvious, however, that the brewers put a lot of thought into their hop blend, because my mind is convinced this beer leaves the slightest taste of cinnamon behind after each swallow.

The best word to describe this brew, in my opinion, is crisp. Its mouthfeel is light and smooth, with an acidic note that is only slightly more sharp than expected. In all respects, this beer tastes as though it was brewed from superb ingredients.

Lionshead is also a very drinkable brew. It does leave a noticable after-taste, but the remainder left on your tongue just makes you want another mouthful of beer. Moreover, it slides down the throat very easily, and it does not sit heavy in the stomach (no suprise for a pilsner).

10-14-2003 23:53:46 | More by theozag
DarkerTheBetter

3.58/5  rDev +23.4%

I found this on tap at Maxi’s on the Temple main campus.

This beer came a light golden straw that faded to a faint greenish brown around the edges. The head started quite large but fell to a sustained egg shell film of larger bubbles.

Smells indistinguishable from your run-of-the-mill macro with a dry sour corn to it, but this one seems rather lively and playful. Odd indeed!

Tastes light with a yeasty watermelon rind with a very nice, well blended, pilsneresque bittering hop that invigorates my tongue, but then finishes smooth with a little under-ripe dry melon. I’m detecting the unmistakable glow of quality here even thought the flavor isn’t that aggressive or complicated.

The mouth feel is light to medium bodied with a full mouth of bubbles that doesn’t interfere with the swallow. Feels like I’m actually drinking something.

What we have here is a thoughtfully constructed, easy to drink macro pilsner that I paid $1.95 for. I’ll definitely have this again!

05-10-2006 18:47:13 | More by DarkerTheBetter
GNR4life2

3.58/5  rDev +23.4%

I live in a town thats right near the brewery for this beer. I nearly crapped my pants when I saw it in cans! I usually buy the bottles cause you can return them to the beer store and get a discount off your next case! But I chose can for my serving type cause its the most recent type I've had.

A: Its beer. Pours a medium gold with very little head.

S: A little rice and corn scent. Very pleasing but disappointing.

T: Very malty and corny but its very light. You can drink a whole can in one gulp.

M: Crisp, refreshing, light and a bit of carbonation.

D: I can drink this all day. I still have some left in the fridge. Its not a go to beer but its a beer you'd drink if you had like 12 bucks and nothing better to do.

07-09-2010 01:23:05 | More by GNR4life2
CJfromPhilly

3.53/5  rDev +21.7%

When I used to work in the area of Widener University, i'd see empty sixers & cases of this stuff all over the place. It's obviously one of those college-crowd, frat party types of beers. Pours the standard macro golden with a one finger head that fades quickly to a light collar. I see evidence of the usual macro fizziness, lotsa tiny bubbles. Aroma is sweet malt with maybe a slight timge of corn. I actually find the aroma kind of refreshing. 1st sip is mildy malty, with some corn notes. There's just the slightest hint of hops on the swallow, but it's VERY subdued. The hopheads out there aren't gonna like this much. Mouthfeel is light and smooth. Overall, this is pretty good for what it is, a low cost macro. I don't find it offensive at all, and in the right situation ( an order of Buffalo Wings, a football game & a gathering of good friends), it would be quite pleasing. At $12/case (only 50 cents per beer!), it's quite a value!

07-12-2008 21:44:18 | More by CJfromPhilly
DannyS

3.53/5  rDev +21.7%

Served in a pint glass, poured from a 12 oz. bottle with a little picture puzzle on the cap.

A - clear orange with no head. That's about it.

S - Not much at all smell-wise. Very faint malt and hops, but mostly an overlying cereal grain smell.

T - I went into it not expecting much, and got a decent beer out of it. Adjunct grain is definitely present, but there is enough malty and just a little bit of hoppy flavor to make it serviceable.

M - watery and fizzy. Are you expecting anything else?

D - I wouldn't feel bad at all about knocking back more than a few of these. I mean, there's little substance to it, but it's certainly far more palatable than BMC adjunct junk. Clean taste and clean finish makes it a great party brew.

Overall - I bought it for my cousin because he remembers it fondly as a cheap, decent-tasting beer to enjoy with friends, and I'm inclined to agree with his reasoning. It's by no means an artisan brew, but it's not made to be that. It's a social, party beer. If I were holding a party, I'd definitely stock up on this instead of BMC standard.

04-22-2009 20:58:21 | More by DannyS
jje0314

3.53/5  rDev +21.7%

I pikced up a case of bottles over the weekend as a recomendation from a friend. I did not mind the $13 price, but I was thinking that it would be really bad at that price. I was releived that it was not at all that bad of a beer for the price. It is a beer that is more for guzzeling then savoring like some of the other I am used to. I thought that the carbonation was good and it had a good smell (it was not skunky). I liked this beer and I would buy it again.

09-13-2010 14:03:20 | More by jje0314
Buggies

3.53/5  rDev +21.7%

Now... I'm a huge fan of Lionhead. With that being said, my ratings are based on that fact.

Lionhead as a Pilsner... fails horribly in my opinion. Why would they even label it as such?

Lets be honest. For me, it's local (contract brewed, but why should that matter). It's cheap (around $13 a case). And it's just drinkable. It's light and refreshing. No frills here. Just cold and good when a dude is at his thirstiest.

01-31-2011 04:08:54 | More by Buggies
Andreji

Colombia

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Found Lionshead on tap while dining in The Double Crown in manhattan's LES.

The pour is the best part of it since it is a very bright golden looking beer with a generous shiny white head, served in an american pint glass. looked rather inviting right off. but it didn't get much better.

Smell wise, it has a rather soft dullish malt sweetness, maybe a slight boozy hint at some point but it is difficult to explore anyway. The taste is not bad, it is soft and oily, tends to the sweetness but balances out with a discrete bitter feel at some point. perhaps a subtle musty feel at some point but nothing beyond the norm.

Overall not too exciting for an american beer but went well with dinner.

05-05-2011 13:35:51 | More by Andreji
Lionshead Pilsner from Lion Brewery, Inc.