Stegmaier Honey Suckle Ale - Lion Brewery, Inc.

Stegmaier Honey Suckle AleStegmaier Honey Suckle Ale

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: confer on 04-22-2012

1.5/5  rDev n/a
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a glass tumbler. big thick viscous clumps float around and finally settle on the bottom. the smell is cloying. Sweet and Almost a honey smell. Taste is not good uh, think something is wrong with this bottle. Actually kind of taste like a Sour. I am afraid this 1 is a drain poor but I would like to try it again I think this was a bad bottle. Other Stegmeier products have been consumed are fairly decent. (440 characters)

2.85/5  rDev n/a

Avoid buying this now. It does not age well.

A - I could tell by the pour this spring release didn't hold up well. A golden bright orange with a crap ton of floaties. Chunks of them too. It did have a nice bit of head but it looks ugly in there.

S - No real sweet honey smell at this point. I want to say skunked lager with some pine nuts. Maybe some sweet malts but nothing says honey.

T - Its kind of sour. The honey seems to give it a semi sweet finish but aged honey like this also gives it a dry finish. The flavor is far from a pale ale, almost lager like with skunky pale malts and little hop balance.

M - It seemed lite to medium in body but a six pack got me kind of drunk.

Overall I don't know what I was thinking with this. I knew it had to be old since the case was over 50% off (23.50 with 12 bucks off, walked out paying around 12 with tax) but no way of seeing the sediment level (closed case) or any markings of when it was released.

I don't think I will be seeking this out again. I wanted to grab a case of their lager (10 bucks) but was craving something more flavorful and found this. Also I figured this would be a brown ale with honey (like Dundee).

Sad part is a place I know still has a case of this at full price. When they mark it down next year some person is gonna hate it because it sucks now... (1,332 characters)

3.53/5  rDev n/a
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is the brand new spring seasonal under the Stegmaier name.
It pours gold and crystal clear. Cotton-like head.
I don't get any of the honey or spices in the smell, just a plainols style ale aroma.
The sweetness of the honey is in the taste throughout even leaving a sweet flavor on your tongue. The rest is just like the smell old style ale. No hop presence.
Smooth and very easy to put down. A good spring /summer beer. (428 characters)

Stegmaier Honey Suckle Ale from Lion Brewery, Inc.
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.