1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Belgian Trippel - Mash House Restaurant & Brewery, The

Belgian Trippel
No picture uploaded.

pDev: n/a
Mash House Restaurant & Brewery, The visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: blackie on 02-19-2006)
Reviews by tdm168:
3.98/5  rDev n/a

On tap at Tribeca Tavern in Raleigh. Listed as 8.2% ABV.

A - golden orange with a oft, thin, white head

S - white grapes, fruity, faint clove, some alcohol

T - apple, white grapes, clove, funky yeast, alcohol

M - warm, medium to full bodied, well carbonated

This was a rather good beer. I was impressed. It is intensely fruity and has a nice yeast presence. It drinks well for the abv. It's not as spot on as a traditional Tripel would be but it's pretty close. It's worth a try.

2.88/5  rDev n/a

4/5  rDev n/a

appearance: The beer comes to my table with a .3" white head that soon becomes just a ring around the glass and a thin layer of bubbles on top. The beer is a golden straw color, and clear.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is towards the lower end of the medium range. The body is medium, and just a little slick on the tongue.

smell and taste: The smell and taste of this beer are very similar, though richer and with just a little more character on the tongue. Hints of honey, green raisin, pluot, white grapes, and apricot are present. There is also a yeasty character. Hop presence is low, with a light flavor, aroma, and bitterness.

drinkability: The high ABV is very well hidden, and it is a damn good tripel...the three I had went down easy.

A nice beer from the Mash House...if anything, I underrated.

4.33/5  rDev n/a

Served in a pilsener flute at the Mash House itself. It pours a golden blonde, with absolutely no head at all. That seems to be a running theme with the Mash House beers I've sampled. This one is plenty carbonated, however, as evidenced by the bubbles clinging to the sides at the top of the glass, as well as the slight prickly feel when drinking.

There is almost a tropical punch aroma to this beer. I picked up banana, pear, perhaps mango, and maybe even kiwi. It was very fruity, and very appealing. There were no hops I could detect in the nose.

The taste was initially as fruity as the aroma would have you expect, but was quickly followed up by the wet, horse blanket flavors I associate with Brettanomyces. The brewery states they use a Belgian yeast. Well, if this isn't brett I'm tasting, I don't know what it is. I just wish I could describe it better than "horse blanket", but heaven help me, that's what it reminds me of. Delicious. While the brett quickly fades, the fruitiness lingers on and on in a creamy, oily, mouthfilling way. I detected no hop flavors whatsoever. The hops are definitely here, of course, but they're quite incognito. You won't miss them. The alcohol is even more well hidden than the hops. Per the brewery, this is 9.5%, but you'd never know it. No "heat" from higher ABV levels. The beer is dngerously easy to drink. I'd have given it a 5 on taste but for a lack of depth. The fruitiness is there, but there's not a lot else that shines through.

The mouthfeel isn't watery, it's not thick and creamy, it just is what you'd expect it to be. Well done.

I've had many a triple with more character than this one. I've also had many that were much, much worse. This is a very well done, if somewhat simple beer. I'd definitely drink this again.

3.54/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured on-tap at The Mash House and served in a shaker pint, the beer is a slightly hazed, orange-tan coloring with a thin, sparse, white head. Nose of berry fruit, clove, nutmeg, bread, and funk. Flavors are tangy sweet forward, with tart cherry, pine tassel, lemon rind, spearmint, and a subtle, sour tang. Interesting palate. Smooth bodied, with a bready and sweet aftertaste. Finish lingers a bit, and you know you drank something with this one. Tasty brew.

1.25/5  rDev n/a

3.98/5  rDev n/a

Poured on tap at Bogart's in Raleigh, NC. Listed as their "high gravity" seasonal. Poured a rather translucent, golden orange brew with an off-white head on top that was well kept and left excellent lacing. Smelled quite fruity, with notes of banana, mango, and pear, among others. The alcohol notes are definately booming, here.

Quite possibly one of the most interesting tripel's I've tasted. Honest to God, all I could think of was "bubblegum" on the first sip. And it's strange, as I really dislike the taste of bubblegum, that I enjoyed this beer's fruity presentation. The alcohol is very well hidden in the taste. Mouthfeel was decently juicy with a good amount of carbonation...I like a little more dryness and fizz to my tripel's, though. Overall, it got the group I was with discussing beer (good beer at that), so I'm a big fan and will probably have again.

Belgian Trippel from Mash House Restaurant & Brewery, The
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.