Flemish Sour Ale - Monks Café

to view more.
Ratings: 32 | Reviews: 4
Reviews by eelyj:
4.65/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I bought this on draught at the Cafe Bruges in Carlisle, PA. It was a deep crimson red with a nice tannish head that sank bit by bit into the liquid, leaving a gentle bubbly mixture on top. The aroma was earthy, with just that hint of tartness I was expecting. When I tasted it, my taste buds just exploded. Now, I should be honest and say I haven't really tried sour ales before, so I had no real comparison to go on at the time. But that initial taste was enough to tell me I had found a real winner. It has a smooth texture to it, and it lingers on the tongue for quite a while. I like the medieval appeal of this ale, and I would definitely get it again and again. It was a real treat.

3.82/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance was a dark ruby color that when you put you fingers behind the glass you could make out the shadow of your fingers. It also had a real good head to it

It was not to sour. It is a good beer to get people to try sour ales on since it is not overwhelming. You get the tartness feeling but it goes away quickly and is not to powerful.

Overall I liked this beer. I and starting to enjoy cask and sour beers more and more and this was a good one. It was easy drinking and would recommend to anyone who is looking to break into the world of sours.

3.59/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured in a snifter glass the foam created a one finger head, fine bubbles, tan in color. The beer is a dark brown, redish color that has great clarity.

S: Tart cherry aroma with vinegar and some woody undertones. No hop aroma. A slight bread crust note.

T: The vinegar flavor doesn't transfer to the flavor (good thing), Woody flavor, tart cherry pie filling, raspberry notes. bready and biscuit notes. balance is on the sweeter side, but its not cloying just nice.

M: A dry finish with moderate carbonation. The tartness is medium and the tannins from the wood add a slight astringency.

O: A very drinkable sour, not super sour or harshness. I would recommend this as an entry level sour. easily accessible and some nice woody flavors to go with the tartness.

3.78/5  rDev -4.3%

On tap at RFD in DC. Unsure of availability.

A: dark ruby to brown with a nice head that dissipates fairly quickly. The beer dies leave significant lacing.
S: not strong, but a lightly acidic tartness, lemon or lime on sour apple
T: mild up front, with the tartness coming shortly into the taste, but it does not overpower. The taste reminds me slightly of a cherry tea I had this past winter. I am finding it hard to pick out the individual flavors, as it's more of a well balanced sour: the bitter seeming a bit grassy, what sweetness there is trying to get out is like an Granny Smith.
O: a very enjoyable, but not outstanding, beer.

to view more.