1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Barley's St Joan's Revenge Farmhouse Ale - Barley's Smokehouse and Brewpub

Barley's St Joan's Revenge Farmhouse Ale
No picture uploaded.

Barley's Smokehouse and Brewpub visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.70% ABV

(Beer added by: MbpBugeye on 05-15-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2 | Reviews: 2
ChrisPro

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

Cask at Barley's Smokehouse.

A- pours jet black with hints of ruby. Nice frothy head sitting on top for minutes before leaving some great lace as I drank.

S - first thing that hits is the sour cherry. Diving in for a second whiff yields a lot of vanilla from the bourbon. Then, you can barely pick up some light roasted notes of coffee. This beer's nose reminds me of Cherry Adam and Bottleworks XI with just a touch of George Clinton funk.

T - wow! What a crazy sensation. There's nice sweetness that hints at some great bourbon (just woodford) followed by a tart cherry. Thus is not acidic in any way but tastes just right. A nice dark chocolate finish rounds this out making me want more quickly!

M - a bit thin for a RIS, but for an American wild, it's great. Perfect cask carbonation and my only complaint is the slight hit you take from the heat.

O - I love this beer and have never had anything like this. I easily would've had another had I not been driving. I'd love for Barley's to brew this again. Well done!

Serving type: cask

06-02-2011 03:27:31 | More by ChrisPro
MbpBugeye

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On cask at Barley's Mini Real Ale Fest 2011.
I'm still quite confused about this beer. I expected a saison, after seeing this listed on their page for the event. Then I noticed it said that it is a Russian Imperial Stout. So I decided to try this to help clarify exactly what it is. It turns out that is is a soured RIS. I can't decide if this is just a bad batch of St Joan's or if it were done on purpose. Either way, this beer wasn't a loss.

Appearance
Perhaps a bit thinner than a typical RIS, but it did have a nice creamy head and a black body. Some purples and reds shone through the edges.

Aroma
Here's this beers strong point. It smells wonderful. Like cookies, chocolate covered cherries or some type of rich cake. Lots of milk chocolate, oatmeal cookie and a little bit of alcohol. There is a faint tartness like that of cherries or grapes.

Taste
Interesting, and good, but not as good as the aroma. Its still got lots of milk chocolate and cookie dough, but the tartness comes out a lot more, especially on the finish. Its more of an acidity or under ripe fruitiness than a full on sourness.

Mouthfeel
Not quite full bodied, but not super thin. It has a creamy feel with very low carbonation.

Overall
I think this might be a mistake, but it seemed to work out ok. This beer is potent though, so the half a pint glass sample was more than enough, especially at a fest with lots of other beers to get to. Still, I'd really like to try to non-sour version of this stuff. I think it might be one of Barley's best.

Serving type: cask

05-15-2011 21:25:50 | More by MbpBugeye
Barley's St Joan's Revenge Farmhouse Ale from Barley's Smokehouse and Brewpub
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.