Cerveza Jerome Rubia - Cerveza Jerome

No picture uploaded.

Cerveza Jerome visit their website
Argentina

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: russpowell on 12-10-2006)

Trashcat, Sunday at 03:57 PM

KAF, Jul 09, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -20.1%

bigred89, Dec 04, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +24.6%

Surprised to see the low rating, had this at an Argentinian restaurant, maybe it was super fresh.

A- Gold body with some yeast haze. A nice creamy head forms to a few fingers in a flute glass and retains well. A thick coat of lace all down the glass.

S- Crisp light fruit notes that have a wine character along with some citrus and floral notes from the hops. A slight Witbier feel as well as Belgian pale, yeast spice, clove, bread.

T- Yeast spice, cloves and bread are dominant along with white grape light fruit wine hints. Floral, grassy, citrus and earthy hop notes.

MF- Light body with silky high carbonation. Slightly bitter finish.

Drinkable with a solid flavor that is unique for me. Like a Witbier mixed with a Belgian Pale and some wine character.

cbutova, May 02, 2011
2.33/5  rDev -25.6%

22-oz. bomber purchased on enthusiastic recommendation by local shopkeep. Was told a story about how the brewer is taking his secret recipe to the grave, and that I likely wouldn't see this beer again. I don't know if that's true but the mystique suckered me in, as mystique often does. Poured into a tulip.

A: Bright, lively golden liquid under a pillow of white foam. Very fizzy and clear, with a nice vibrant yellow glow. Other reviewers have described this as "champagney" - very fitting description.

S: This is where I begin to suspect that I've gotten a much different batch than most other reviewers were working with. I admit I read a few reviews prior to trying this one, and the weak, flavorless, fizzy water I was expecting was not what was in my glass. Very sharp barnyard funk coming from this one. Some mild citrus lingering in the back, but mostly just sourness.

T: Good lord. Again, I wonder what everyone else is drinking. The most funk I've ever tasted in a beer. Like drinking a barnyard. There's a hint of Belgian yeast and mild citrus, before it's all overwhelmed by sour funk. Flavor lingers on the tongue long after swallowing. Had to really fight to not grimace after each sip, before throwing in the towel altogether. If you're a big fan of the Brett then you may be able to embrace this one, but I can't.

M: Thin, crisp, fizzy. Foamy action on the tongue similar to a saison, but I'm still reeling from the overwhelming sour funk assaulting my taste buds. I wanted to learn to live with it because it's really not an offensive beer in other respects - I actually enjoy the saison-like body and mouthfeel - but each sip was an undertaking.

D: If you can appreciate a whole lot of funk, then this is a beer you could put back without much resistance. It's light, crisp and dry. Myself, this is probably only the second or third beer I've ever been unable to choke down.

All-in-all NOT a pleasant experience. I muscled down one glass before I couldn't take the flavor anymore. A very one-dimensional beer - which is not necessarily always a terrible thing, unless that one dimension is "barnyard." Very heavy-handed sourness seems to mask what could have been a very refreshing, saison-style ale. Not too broken up by the prospect of never encountering this brew again.

tinusch, Nov 13, 2010
3.7/5  rDev +18.2%

The 3rd Jerome for me so far. Poured a 2" head which dissipated to 1/4". Hazy straw yellow in color. Mild smell with some yeast and citrus. Taste has more citrus and I dare say salt. Interesting but a little timid for Belgian style and I dare say the body of this beer was flat in about 10 minutes.

MoreThanWine, Nov 07, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color, with a large white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains light malts, Belgian yeast and touch of fruit, hops and spice.

T: The taste starts out with a bite of spice, followed by mildly bready flavors of Belgian yeast and a hearty malt character. There's a decent hops presence for the style but not much balance. The after-taste is slightly spicy and slightly bready.

M: Very crisp but not very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is dry.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, decent kick, decent representation of style, there is not much to this beer that would make me want to select it again unless my choices were quite limited.

TheManiacalOne, Oct 12, 2010
2.3/5  rDev -26.5%

Bought this on the recommendation of the beer guy at a local store. Dull orange/yellow color; thin, quickly vanishing head. Very little to report from the aroma: I detected a light waft of yeast, but strangely enough there wasn't much else. The taste was uneventful, with a small amount of carbonation and citrus but no Belgian characteristics of any kind-- no yeast, no hops, no malt, no nuthin'. Where's the beer? A curiosity-- pass on this one.

gfreed, Aug 30, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +25.6%

A- Poured a bright yellow, with almost no head, no lacing, and almost no visible carbonation... nonetheless, I am curious... onto the smell...

S- I'm getting horseblanket, tropical fruit, Belgian yeast, lemongrass and some honeysuckle floweriness... right now I'm thinking "Belgian Saison"...

T- Beautifully floral and spicy, with the welcomed horseblanket notes of Brettanomyces and the sour notes of Lactobacillus... a delightful and refreshing wild ale...

M- A bit oily and just the right carbonation.

D- Downright refreshing... and you could've told me that this was from Belgium... and I would have believed you!!! Could drink this all night.

NOTES: This is currently listed as an American Blonde Ale... but I wholeheartedly disagree and suggest this be reclassified as a "Belgian-style saison"...

jgasparine, Aug 05, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +22.4%

A: Hazy gold with very active carbonation. The beer is bottle conditioned, so I had to be careful to not disturb the sediment at the bottom. Rocky and soapy eggshell cap starts out strong and then slowly subsides to a thin layer across the top of the beer. Leaves patches of lace.

S: Lemon, straw, grass and biscuit aromas interplay nicely.

T: Starts out dry and bready, with flavors of straw and raw malt. Bitterness comes on with a mild, but well balanced lemon and coriander bite. Finishes dry with a puckering lemon tartness that is detracted from slightly by a faint metallic taste.

M: Medium-light body feels chewy. Carbonation feels a bit too high.

D: This is the second beer I've had from this brewery. Although Rubia is not the most complex beer, it's easy to quaff. A very nice drink overall.

Rayek, Feb 26, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +25.6%

The first pour was clear, gold in hue, fairly pale but bright; the second pour produced some slight haziness. White head, at the apex the foam was no more than a half finger tall. Good head retention, a soapy collar lasted the entire consumption. Subsequent lacing was spotty. Average appearance, overall… pleasing to the eye but not overly memorable.

Nice nose! Hoppy… earthy, grassy, “skunky,” citrus notes… grapefruit zest and green apples too. Light cracker maltiness finishes the bouquet. Moderate potency. For the style, a Belgian Pale Ale, this has a satisfactory aroma. On the surface the nose is simplistic but smelling it as a beer geek the bouquet is subtle and compelling. Inviting.

The palate is restrained; there is a good amount of hop flavors. The palate begins with hints of grass, lemon zest plus some apples, pears, glue, rubber bands, crackers and jelly. Light bitterness. Sweetness arrives near the finish at lasts into the aftertaste. Much like the nose the palate seems simple but upon further investigation there is a good amount of complexity. This complexity, however, still isn’t very talkative or loud. It takes some effort to notice everything that is being said. Still, the flavor profile is solid… this is a pleasing beer.

Medium/medium-light in body, moderate-low carbonation, the mouthfeel works well with the delicate flavor profile.

When all is said and done, this is an easy to drink Belgian Pale Ale. For less than $6 a 750ml this is certainly worth a try. Now add in the fact it is brewed in Argentina and I am more impressed. It is not a novelty even though the label says “Belgium Style” and “Fine Aged Ale.” While the brewery may need a better translator I can’t knock the product in the bottle. It is a true session beer. I look forward to trying the other beer from this brewery I purchased in Council Bluffs, IA. If it is as tasty I may have to see if I can get these to Nebraska. If not, at least I can buy them locally.

bditty187, Jan 24, 2008
2.08/5  rDev -33.5%

Pours like a sprite, loud and fizzy w/ tons of carbonation and a 1.5 finger head that's got huge fizzy bubbles just like a soda. Straw color body punctuated by bubble streams. Head thins to halo and a smattering of lacing. Doesn't look like beer at all, more like ginger ale. Aroma is of sweet malt, grain and corn, some tart sugar notes like an apricot. Tastes of toasted malt, very highly carbonated with sharp bubbles that fizz out so that the swallow is like swallowing an air bubble. The taste isn't too bad, very much like a blonde, but there's some alcohol flavor that comes through that's not too desirable.

Of the 4 Jerome beers I've had, this is definitely the weakest.

clickpush, Jun 05, 2007
2.9/5  rDev -7.3%

Jerome Cerveza Rubia is the most Champagne-like beer I've ever seen. It's extremely pale yellow and is immensely carbonated. All those bubbles create a stiff, airy cap that looks like blown styrofoam. Even though it isn't the least bit sticky, a splotch or two of watery lace can be seen on the glass. It's an interesting look, but not an especially good one.

The nose is no better. If the aroma was a color, it would be extremely pale as well. The label states that Cascade hops (from Patagonia) are used, but I can't smell them. In fact, I'm having a hard time smelling much at all. I know that 'American' blonde ales aren't usually go-getters, but still...

Thankfully, the beer is more flavorful than it is aromatic. Flavorful isn't a word that I would use in anything other than a comparative way, though, because there isn't much here to wrap my taste buds around. There's very little malt present and only a token amount of hoppiness. I still don't appreciate Cascade, but something much more herbal and grassy (that probably has German or Czech bloodlines).

I'm not going to argue about style assignment, especially since Rubia means 'blonde' in Spanish. However, *this* Rubia tastes more like an underhopped, incredibly dry, incredibly crisp, incredibly carbonated pilsener. One could also think of it as the equivalent of Sauvignon Blanc. Pairing it with grilled swordfish would allow it to shine much more than it does all by its lonesome.

Needless to say, the mouthfeel is incredibly light and continues to be chaotically carbonated even though I'm well into the midsection of the bottle. Since the bubbles don't feel too harsh and are so short-lived, I can't really say the beer is fizzy.

I liked Jerome Cerveza Negra (a milk/sweet stout) and I fully expected to like Rubia as well. Maybe the overcarbonation is coloring my impressions, but I don't believe that a properly carbonated version would be much better. This one is just too strange for its own good.

BuckeyeNation, May 01, 2007
3.58/5  rDev +14.4%

BBD June 07 made with cascades hops & andes water according to the bottle

Pours golden & effervescent with 2 fingers of white head. Some much head retention or lacing

S: Slight fruittyness & floral hops

T: fruitty with slight hop bitterness up front. Finishes with cirus hops & dryness

MF: Medium bodied with sprtizyness & good balance.

Drank very easy, but just a so-so golden ale

russpowell, Dec 10, 2006