Harvest Time Pumpkin Ale - Big Boss Brewing

Big Boss Brewing visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

This is a Subtly Spiced Fall ale Brewed with Real Pumpkin that will evoke memories of holidays and family. It is brewed with our own proprietary blend of spices that will make this one of the best recieved pumpkin ales available.

(Beer added by: blackie on 10-05-2007)
SarahHealey

andersen8185

11-21-2011 16:13:09 | More by andersen8185
AnalogReigns

4.72/5  rDev +24.5%

Really an EXCELLENT pumpkin beer. About the best I've ever had... Well spiced but not overwelming. Light body, but not insipid. Very subtle on the pumpkin (which is a good thing, I think) and not overdone on the spices, making for quite a sophisticated taste.

I drank this at room temperature too...newly back from the store, and, just to see what flavors jumped out. I'd definitely recommend this beer for those of us who are Fall beer lovers....this really is what Pumpkin Beer is SUPPOSED to be!

09-03-2011 23:43:58 | More by AnalogReigns
nboris827

4.6/5  rDev +21.4%

This is a great Pumpkin Beer! I look forward to its release in the Fall.

It is a typical Pumpkin Ale: strong hints of pumpkin pie in the nose, and when sipped, the tastes of ginger, a bit of nutmeg, and perhaps cinnamon are on the tongue. Recommend on draft if you can get it!

08-08-2010 19:51:20 | More by nboris827
VncentLIFE

4.6/5  rDev +21.4%

Well when i poured it into my Christmas Ale snifter, it reminded me of Christmas Ale. Kind of has my hopes up, but oh well.

Pours a somewhat reddish-orange color. half inch head that only came from a super aggressive pour--oh and it disappeared rather quickly.

The taste is sweet and light. The pumpkin flavor is somewhat mild--levels comparable to Smuttynose and DFH Punkin. The spices are really what set it apart. The cinnamon and clove really dominate here (with clove being the Goliath here) . The clove is a spicy strong clove that reminds me of eating a clove candy stick from Cracker Barrel. Allspice and cinnamon are there too, and they mingle awfully well with the other flavors. Exactly what Pumpkin Ale should taste like in my book.

The clove adds a crispness, which complements the light body well.

09-06-2011 22:22:29 | More by VncentLIFE

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

09-04-2012 12:57:40 | More by Lob
bearfootdaddy

4.47/5  rDev +17.9%

I was at the store and wanted a pumpkin ale, and did not see any ones I wanted, Till I saw Big Boss Harvest Time, It was Great, the taste was just what you would want a pumpkin ale to be, To me it was one of those beers that one it great but two might be to much

Over all I would buy it again.

Only con is the price.

10-06-2010 14:11:25 | More by bearfootdaddy
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev +16.9%

Now this is a pumpkin ale. I was totally floored by this one and by far my favorite of the style so far this year. Pours out a light hazelnut tinged amber with a good bit of off white head the drips down the side causing some nice lacing.

Aroma is deep spices. Wow. Pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon, banana and bready notes. Just amazingly complex. This really came off very much like my mother in laws spice cake. Just a superb blend and very, very full. As I take the first sip I am very impressed here as the flavor is just as full as the aroma was. Deep spices, loads of pumpkin and a heavy dose of cinnamon and nutmeg. Really just massively impressive in every sense of the word. Nice medium feel was well carbonated and kept the flavors active on the palate.

Overall a very, very well done example of the style. This really impressed me. I actually remember wondering if this may have been the best I have had of the style.

09-22-2010 00:20:24 | More by mikesgroove
wagenvolks

4.33/5  rDev +14.2%

On-tap at Raleigh Times in Raleigh, NC. [AKA "Harvest Time Pumpkin Ale"]

Presented with a 22 oz. pour of a gorgeous, bright orange-bodied ale, sporting an attractive inch of light khaki head on top. Probably the best head retention I've encountered for a Pumpkin Ale, and lacing to boot. The aroma met the style requirements with ease, sending notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and a good deal of pumpkin squash to the olfaction.

The flavor was unassertive, yet at the same time let you know exactly the style the brewers were after. Notes of soft pumkpin pulp gave way to a creamy, vanilla flavor ("whipped cream", as my friend described it), and a beautifully balanced backbone of biscuity malt and spice that included cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and (of course) pumpkin. Mouthfeel was light and nicely carbonated, with a lingering finish of creamy vanilla and gingerbread malts. All in all, an exceptional brew that finally resurrected Big Boss in my mind after a slew of seemingly lack-luster attempts (Black Diamond, Bell Wringer Double Wit, etc..). Get at this one if you can.

10-03-2008 07:20:13 | More by wagenvolks

01-18-2013 02:03:00 | More by clotrich
I3eck

4.21/5  rDev +11.1%

Bottle -> Wine Glass
A: Hazy dark amber / iced tea-colored, 1/2" slightly off white head, stumpy lacing.
S: Apple cider, cinnamon, pumpkin, brandy.
T: Cinnamon, apple, pumpkin, over-ripe fruit, sweet potato, clove, baked bread crust, malty undertones.
M: Good CO2, medium-full bodied with a lingering baked goods flavor.
O Delicious concoction of multiple spices and fruits. I've enjoyed this beer over the past two years around this time - awaiting its release in Sept this year. It really stands out for me because it is complex and has a wicked over-ripe fruit / banana flavor which I find interesting and enjoyable. This beer reminds me of baked pies - especially apple and pumpkin. Good times.

12-01-2013 20:15:22 | More by I3eck
hooliganlife

Missouri

4.18/5  rDev +10.3%

thanks to OldStyleCubFan for this!

pour is a mellow and hazy copper with a light head and little retention

huge nutmeg just punches you in the face and a nice light cinnamon and pumpking backing

a little more subtle but still very flavorful. big spice flavors from the nutmeg and cinnamon and a slight whipped cream flavor. light malts compliment this.

a bit thin but nothing bad at all. nice carbonation.

this was a great pumpkin ale. great spice flavor blended well.

10-22-2009 22:53:02 | More by hooliganlife
towersfall

4.15/5  rDev +9.5%

Appearance - Pours a dark-ish orange with a small, but nice, head. The color compliments the season well and looks like it should be a spice orientated beer.

Smell - Smells strongly of spices you may use to create the perfect pumpkin pie with a faint hint of actual pumpkin.

Taste - Refreshing and slightly different from most pumpkin ales that I have tried. I taste the spices more than the pumpkin and I actually enjoy that.

Mouthfeel - Well carbonated and the perfect blend between light and heavy.

Drinkability - Surprisingly one of the easier fall beers to down and I feel that I could have a few of these no problem. Big Boss strikes again with another solid brew. Highly Reccomended!

11-04-2009 22:33:51 | More by towersfall
Axnjxn

4.15/5  rDev +9.5%

on draft at beer study in chapel hill. teku glass.

pours a hazy orange with a slight head. huge shot of pumpkin aroma on the nose. taste is real big on cinnamon and nutmeg and even pumpkin flavors, without the bittering of nutmeg. really like this one. medium bodied with light carbonation.

overall an excellent pumpkin ale.

09-12-2013 19:59:30 | More by Axnjxn
MuddyFeet

4.13/5  rDev +9%

Copper in color. Shines when held up to the light. Mild foam that dissipitates to a thinner film. Nose is fruity--almost apple. Subtle favors that balance each other nicely. But I wish there was just a tad more pumpkins. Nice spice flavor counters the sweet malts. Medium body. Solid fall beer. I will say the label turned me away from this beer for a long while. I was expecting it to be more over the top.

10-04-2012 02:06:19 | More by MuddyFeet
SaCkErZ9

4.13/5  rDev +9%

Pours from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Emerges clear and sweet potato orange in color with a nice, creamy white head. A bit of lacing but and the head retention is quite nice.

Aroma is a bit powerful and mostly filled with cloves. Cinnamon is a close second and is also followed by allspice and ginger. Pretty powerful but pretty well done.

Perhaps a bit overspiced for some but I quite like it. Again, mostly cloves but cinnamon and some brown sugar lend a helping hand and add a bit of balance andd give the beer a little something extra. Tastes like a sweet pumpkin pie. Slightly sweet up front as well but a bit of hoppy/ spicy kick in the finish.

Medium bodied and well carbonated. Easy to drink. The pumpkin spiciness may wear the welcome out on this one pretty quickly but given the right circumstance and mood, this is an easy sessioner.

10/11/11

I really think that the 2011 version is great. It has more balance, flavors and overall tastiness. My review reflects a combination of both "vintages", with the clear favorite being the 2011.

10-19-2009 17:10:06 | More by SaCkErZ9