Harvest Time Pumpkin Ale - Big Boss Brewing

Big Boss Brewing visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

This is a Subtly Spiced Fall ale Brewed with Real Pumpkin that will evoke memories of holidays and family. It is brewed with our own proprietary blend of spices that will make this one of the best recieved pumpkin ales available.

(Beer added by: blackie on 10-05-2007)

4.72/5  rDev +25.5%

Really an EXCELLENT pumpkin beer. About the best I've ever had... Well spiced but not overwelming. Light body, but not insipid. Very subtle on the pumpkin (which is a good thing, I think) and not overdone on the spices, making for quite a sophisticated taste.

I drank this at room temperature too...newly back from the store, and, just to see what flavors jumped out. I'd definitely recommend this beer for those of us who are Fall beer lovers....this really is what Pumpkin Beer is SUPPOSED to be!

4.6/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is a great Pumpkin Beer! I look forward to its release in the Fall.

It is a typical Pumpkin Ale: strong hints of pumpkin pie in the nose, and when sipped, the tastes of ginger, a bit of nutmeg, and perhaps cinnamon are on the tongue. Recommend on draft if you can get it!

4.6/5  rDev +22.3%

Well when i poured it into my Christmas Ale snifter, it reminded me of Christmas Ale. Kind of has my hopes up, but oh well.

Pours a somewhat reddish-orange color. half inch head that only came from a super aggressive pour--oh and it disappeared rather quickly.

The taste is sweet and light. The pumpkin flavor is somewhat mild--levels comparable to Smuttynose and DFH Punkin. The spices are really what set it apart. The cinnamon and clove really dominate here (with clove being the Goliath here) . The clove is a spicy strong clove that reminds me of eating a clove candy stick from Cracker Barrel. Allspice and cinnamon are there too, and they mingle awfully well with the other flavors. Exactly what Pumpkin Ale should taste like in my book.

The clove adds a crispness, which complements the light body well.

4.56/5  rDev +21.3%

4.47/5  rDev +18.9%

I was at the store and wanted a pumpkin ale, and did not see any ones I wanted, Till I saw Big Boss Harvest Time, It was Great, the taste was just what you would want a pumpkin ale to be, To me it was one of those beers that one it great but two might be to much

Over all I would buy it again.

Only con is the price.

4.43/5  rDev +17.8%

Now this is a pumpkin ale. I was totally floored by this one and by far my favorite of the style so far this year. Pours out a light hazelnut tinged amber with a good bit of off white head the drips down the side causing some nice lacing.

Aroma is deep spices. Wow. Pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon, banana and bready notes. Just amazingly complex. This really came off very much like my mother in laws spice cake. Just a superb blend and very, very full. As I take the first sip I am very impressed here as the flavor is just as full as the aroma was. Deep spices, loads of pumpkin and a heavy dose of cinnamon and nutmeg. Really just massively impressive in every sense of the word. Nice medium feel was well carbonated and kept the flavors active on the palate.

Overall a very, very well done example of the style. This really impressed me. I actually remember wondering if this may have been the best I have had of the style.

4.33/5  rDev +15.2%

On-tap at Raleigh Times in Raleigh, NC. [AKA "Harvest Time Pumpkin Ale"]

Presented with a 22 oz. pour of a gorgeous, bright orange-bodied ale, sporting an attractive inch of light khaki head on top. Probably the best head retention I've encountered for a Pumpkin Ale, and lacing to boot. The aroma met the style requirements with ease, sending notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and a good deal of pumpkin squash to the olfaction.

The flavor was unassertive, yet at the same time let you know exactly the style the brewers were after. Notes of soft pumkpin pulp gave way to a creamy, vanilla flavor ("whipped cream", as my friend described it), and a beautifully balanced backbone of biscuity malt and spice that included cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and (of course) pumpkin. Mouthfeel was light and nicely carbonated, with a lingering finish of creamy vanilla and gingerbread malts. All in all, an exceptional brew that finally resurrected Big Boss in my mind after a slew of seemingly lack-luster attempts (Black Diamond, Bell Wringer Double Wit, etc..). Get at this one if you can.

very good pumpkin flavor