Aces & Ates - Big Boss Brewing

Aces & AtesAces & Ates

Big Boss Brewing visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Stout |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BitterLover on 01-31-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Aces & Ates Alström Bros
joe1510

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz Bomber

Bottle #432/5,000
Bottled 11/08

A big thank you goes out to Kegatron for coming through with yet another stellar box of beer today, this included, thanks buddy! Aces & Ates pours what else but black as night? The body seems to actually look glossy in a strange sort of way as the mocha head sits up top with good retention. The head grew easily to three fingers and faded to one becoming quite silky on its way down. A decent amount of patchy lacing gets left here and there as the beer recedes in the glass.

I was expecting a full on coffee bomb but the nose is a little weaker than I expected. A lightly roasted coffee starts things off and is noticeable throughout. Roasty grains, black licorice, and dusty cocoa all have their own little niche in this brew. The anise actually comes across pretty noticeably on the backend. The dusty cocoa and dark chocolate seem to be interchangeable and add some nice depth. This is a nicely balanced stout but I would have preferred a coffee bomb in this situation.

The flavor basically follows the aroma with mild coffee that's actually a little tough to pull out at times. Anise and roasty grains play the major roles in this brew, the soft roastiness leading the way. A mild nuttiness comes through mid-palate while the dusty cocoa shows up on the finish. Slight underripe berriness finishes things off. This is a well made stout, and tasty, but for having an abv at 8% and coffee added it misses the mark.

The mouthfeel hits nicely right up front with a slickness and moderate heavy body on the tip of the tongue. The carbonation picks up shortly and becomes slightly fast moving, propelling this beer through the back of the mouth a little too quickly and creating a lighter feel.

This beer is easily drinkable with the lighter feel and all around muted flavors. A glass or two is enough for me since this one doesn't quite push my buttons.

I expected a lot more coffee and robust flavors out of this beer and it was a bit of a let down in that department. I enjoyed the stout overall but it just doesn't fit into what's advertised. Thanks for knocking this long want of my list Heath!

04-18-2009 03:20:12 | More by joe1510
drseamus

4.53/5  rDev +14.7%

A: Dark black with almost no head.

S: Rich coffee and chocolate explode from the glass.

T: Good clear coffee flavor but not as good as the growler. No roast or chocolate but damn the coffee is good.

M: Creamy but a touch lighter than I would expect.

D: I still love this beer.

04-16-2009 18:15:43 | More by drseamus
LauraAlberts

South Carolina

4.55/5  rDev +15.2%

Since when does a stout have to be the beer that pins you to the ground like a bear and make you a "man" if you can drink it all in one sitting.

Why can't a stout be a beer you can just enjoy whenever?

Well it CAN - this is that Stout.

For the stout drinker looking to impress his man friends - this isn't the stout to brag that you drank last night while watching cage wrestling on Spike. As a stout drinker I'd drink this if I wanted to have several beers/stouts in one sitting.

Appearance: Solid brown/black with tan head.

Smell: Coffee beans, hint of vanilla extract, hint of bourbon

Taste: Sedated Coffee with an open, bourbon aftertaste that turns into dark chocolate with underlying vanilla notes.

Mouthfeel: Thin, this one's not carbonated, or even has the motor oil consistancy of the classic Founders Breakfast or KBS.

Drinkability: I could pound them back all afternoon. For a true stout lover, this is your session stout. Drink this and be merry! I feel like the beer god is answering the prayers of stout lover looking for a stout to enjoy like the Germans enjoy pilsener. If this brew comes your way - check it out. Great entry-level stout for the up and coming craft beer connoisseur.

04-09-2009 01:35:33 | More by LauraAlberts
JDV

2.1/5  rDev -46.8%

Big thanks to ROBORB for this bottle!
Was really looking forward to this one, but I'm afraid either I had too high of hopes or their bottling line isn't that great.

Pours dark black with a short lived light tan head. Smell is less of coffee than I expected with a huge unwelcomed sour presence. Ugh...

Taste is pretty dull with light roasted malt and coffee flavor, a touch of tartness, and this is actually pretty watery and underwhelming. Thin flavor, and while not as sour in the taste as the smell, the smell was unpleasant and really kills this beer. Smell is sour, taste is watery, body is thin, carbonation is low, and there really is no shining aspect of this beer, unfortunately.

03-29-2009 01:58:35 | More by JDV
cbros

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

Serving type- 22 ounce bomber poured into a snifter. #610/5000, bottled in November 2008

A- Pours a jet black with a nice tan head that disipates rather quickly with a small head that goes away after a few minutes. Decent cling to the glass.

S- Strong presence of coffee flavor coupled with a sweet malt finish, also some hoppy flavor at the end but nothing major.

T- Medium bodied flavor that reminds me of a black coffee, has a tiny malt finish near the end. Also has a cough syrup type mouthfeel, not that encouraging.

Bought this at Sam's Bluelight in Durham and am satisfied but not overwhelmed. This is my first offering from Big Boss out of Raleigh and I plan on getting some of their other stuff. HOwever this was not a great representative of the American Stout. Somewhat strong but not imposing, a decent offering from Big Boss but I probably would not get this again. Somewhat of a let down in the flavor category, pours nice and looks good but something is lost from glass to your mouth. Even though I would not buy this agian I would suggest trying this if given the opportunity.

03-28-2009 23:03:48 | More by cbros
gford217

3.28/5  rDev -17%

22oz bottle courtesy of OldStyleCubFan poured into a snifter.

Pours almost completely black in the glass underneath a one inch rocky tan head that dissipates to a small swirl and collar fairly quickly. Lacing is minimal.

The aroma is very good with lots of dark roasted chocolate malts with enough coffee to make me notice it, but not enough to overpower everything else.

The taste just didn't live up to the nose for me. It was dominated by a dry tangy bitterness (presumably from espresso) that was fairly offputting. There is some dark roasted malts and hints of coffee and chocolate, but the astringent bitterness is tough to get through.

The mouthfeel is velvety smooth with good carbonation and very soft on the palate.

I was expecting good things from this one and the smell was nice, however I wasn't all that impressed with the taste. It seemed fairly one dimensional and that one dimension, coffee, was a little too bitter in its presentation. Anyway, not a bad beer but not one I would go back to.

03-17-2009 01:21:14 | More by gford217
ATLbeerDog

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours pitch black with beautiful red highlights outlining the inside of the glass. Not much carbonation visible. Smells only of coffee with some alcohol notes present in the nose. First sip is strong coffee but not much else. Sure there is some chocolate, and tobacco present but for a coffee stout, there is so much better out there.

03-14-2009 21:49:39 | More by ATLbeerDog
glid02

3.93/5  rDev -0.5%

Picked up a bottle at Bruisin' Ales in Asheville, NC.

Pours black with a half-finger dark tan head. The head recedes fairly quickly into a wispy layer on top leaving light lacing.

Smells of roasted coffee with roasted malt aromas lurking in the background. As it warms the coffee aromas fade, though not much.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Roasted coffee flavors up front, with a good deal of roasted malt flavors giving it more body. The ending is pretty bitter. I would prefer a bit more complexity, but as it is it tastes above average.

Mouthfeel is good. It's a bit on the thin side, but solid carbonation still makes it go down smoothly.

Drinkability is good. I finished one glass and then another. I could drink a few of these.

Overall this is a solid coffee stout, though it has a way to go before it can be considered great. Still, worth a shot, especially if you're a big fan of coffee stouts.

03-14-2009 17:50:41 | More by glid02
RblWthACoz

Pours completely black with a thin tan head. Nose is coffee yes, but some dark chocolate in there as well. Better after warming up a bit. Flavor is thickly malted with a consistent and very present coffee tone. Again. Better as it warms. It seems to mature a bit. Even and consistent delivery. Feel is a bit thick on liquid and the carbonation is slightly lower which helps keeps things going. It's very drinkable. Not really blowing me away or anything. But maybe that is because I had the Brooklyn Intensified Coffee Stout yesterday which was only a few days old at that point and über fresh.

03-09-2009 18:10:00 | More by RblWthACoz
discovolante65

Rhode Island

2.6/5  rDev -34.2%

Got this one on my recent travels through Raleigh/Durham. Went to a lot of stores, might have been PSM in Raleigh.

22oz serving. Poured into an over-sized wine glass (all my father in law had to use) pours an oil black with no visible carbonation, nice big fat espresso colored head about 1 inch thick that retreated into some pretty lacing that lasted throughout.

Smell is fresh ground coffee, little bit of roasted malt, and some hops presence at the end.

Taste is bitter black coffee with some...figs? cherries? and some anise on the very end, more in the "smaste" than the taste.
Not a lot of alcohol in this, but it's not well hidden. Not at all as complex as I expected.

Mouthfeel is sticky and almost unlikable. I say this because it is entirely too full bodied for the lack of big, complex flavor.

Drinkability, well, I opened it, so I gotta finish it. I'm not sure if they hit the mark on this one. I don't hate it, but I wouldn't seek it out again. I bought a lot of local stuff while visiting the in-laws, this was one of them, maybe the hells belle will be closer to style and more enjoyable.

Wow, I had no idea I was only the third reviewer!

02-24-2009 20:59:15 | More by discovolante65
beachbum1975

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

Wow, I can't believe I'm the 2nd one to ever review this beer. I feel like a celebrity! Is this my 15 minutes of fame???? Ha ha ha

First and foremost - thanks go out to pwoods... See, he forgot to take this home last night (don't worry, Patrick - I still have a bottle in the basement).

Pwoods purchased this one from Bruisin' Ales in Asheville, NC (I know because I was with him!). Presented in a 22 ounce brown bottle with a very attractive and unique label. In fact, it states bottle # 2662 / 5000 printed on it! Just looking at this label makes me want to hop on a Harley or run to a machine shop and cut some gears or something... Big & bold silver label with white text - like something from the Air Force or Harley Davidson.

Poured into my Foothills Brewing mini-pilsner glass with a 1" dark tan head . Body, as expected is a super dark brown to black with a clear brown to red edge. Head recedes quickly leaving no lacing.

Smells of fresh, heavily roasted coffee abound... In addition, I am picking up a solid, floral hops presence. Sweet malts also appear for a minute. Overall, the nose is a little lighter than I was expecting, but nonetheless, I bet it will taste solid.

Mouthfeel is big and oily combined with ample carbonation (though hidden from the quick head retention). Medium to full bodied and full flavored. Coffee, dark malts, light smoke and hops all play along in a nice blend. Frankly, I'm surprised this was classified as an American Stout and not a Double or Imperial Stout (At least, it's an American Stout on BA at the time I type...) As I drink, the big stout presence is seen with a light brown oily hazing on the side of my glass.

As BIG as this beer looks and feels, I was a little underwhelmed in the flavor category. Sure, it's big, but by the eyes alone, I thought this beer would explode with flavor and personally, I craved more big coffee flavors. This particular beer almost tasted watery at times, or didn't stay big and solid as I drank... All in all, this is the first Big Boss beer I've had and I look forward to trying more now...

02-17-2009 23:48:02 | More by beachbum1975
andrewm190

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%

A very strong entry from Big Boss Brewing. Super coffee intensity. Maybe a bit too much. Almost more like coffee than coffee. Also very heavy, although not quite as heavy as the Avery Imperial Stout, another beer I had recently. Strong aftertaste. This is basically a one and done beer. Any more and you'll strongly consider doing anything your friends suggest.

02-17-2009 02:02:56 | More by andrewm190
BitterLover

4.38/5  rDev +10.9%

I've had this one on tap at Tyler's Taproom in Durham, NC three times now (finally took some notes last night). The menu there mistakenly lists it at 9.9% ABV (which is why I tried it), but it's actually a more modest 8%. This is a stout that is brewed with coffee roasted by a local coffee roaster. The label on the bottle calls it a "coffee stout", but that style was not available in the Ba listing.

Appearance: Inky black with a very modest light brown head that quickly dissipated, but left very thin, branch-like lacing all the way to the bottom of the glass. It was so black that I couldn't see through it, so couldn't detect any carbonation.

Smell: Not surprisingly, the nose was of dark roasted coffee with dark chocolate.

Taste: Black coffee mixed with a hint of dark chocolate covered cherries. At first I thought it was almost too sweet, but then the bitterness stepped up and lasted into the finish. When I aerated the beer in my mouth, I got a subtle black licorice flavor. This is a complex beer.

Mouthfeel: Thick, syrupy.

Drinkability: This beer is so rich that I would not want to hurry through it. You need to savor it and appreciate its layers as it warms. And at 8%, it's not meant to be pounded.

I haven't seen this beer in any of my favorite beer stores, but I'm going to keep looking for it. Outstanding stuff.

01-31-2009 01:24:17 | More by BitterLover
NCBeernut

4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

Served from a bomber on a day off due to a nice blanket of snow.

Pours black with brown highlights around the edges, just like a heavy french-pressed coffee. Topped with a thin, frothy, khaki head.

Smells of chocolaty robust dark-roast coffee with a bit of cream and sugar. A stronger version of that coffee-shop smell. A coffee lover's wet dream.

A blast of cocoa and coffee. No citric notes that I often get in coffee stouts. This one is a chocolaty desert beer. Hints of oaky vanilla. No acrid edge...more on the sweet side, but a little bit of bitterness from the coffee helps keep it in check. No sign of alcohol, even at 8%. Mouthfeel is smooth with just slightly more carbonation than I was expecting for the style, but it works.

01-20-2009 16:38:17 | More by NCBeernut
MasterSki

4.18/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to jefferson for sending me a couple of these bad boys. Served in my trusty Surly pint glass.

A - Pours a super dark brown, almost impervious to light, with a big mocha foam that recedes at a leisurely pace and leaves a dime-sized head that doesn't really go away. Nice lacing on the sides of the glass. A tiny bit more retention and this would have been perfect.

S - Surprise! A Coffee stout that isn't a coffee bomb! Good balance between malt sweetness and coffee with a hefty amount of cream & sugar, as well as some vanilla extract. The smell is more evocative of a café mocha - a mix of hot chocolate and French roast.

T - This is where the more bitter roast coffee flavor kicks in. I think a little bit of excitement is lost from the smell. There's still a nice balance of roast malt sweetness and coffee, but the vanilla and chocolate notes recede into the background.

M - Umm...why is this called a stout? This has the mouthfeel of a porter. If it'd been called a porter on the bottle I would have given it an extra .5, due to differing expectations. A little to thin and watery, with a surprising amount of carbonation. The tingle is a nice complement to the coffee bitterness, but I don't find the body big enough to support the flavor. One positive is the lack of that persistent bitter coffee aftertaste.

D - You can't taste the 8% at all, and the low viscosity actually makes it kind of chuggable. My wife and I split a bomber no problem, and could have downed another afterward.

It's definitely a more distinct coffee stout, but as much for the surprising texture as it is for the excellent balance of sweet and bitter. I don't think it's quite in the league of Founder's Breakfast, but it's an excellent brew nonetheless.

01-19-2009 22:58:54 | More by MasterSki
dirtylou

Washington

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

22oz bomber, delivered to me by Blackie

#32/5000

"aces and ates" - the marketing director of big boss should probably be terminated

appearance: poured into a hopleaf tulip, big bold mahogany body with a thick chocolate foam and foamy lacing retention

smell: im not getting "huge" coffee aromas as many others have described...dry malt, milk chocolate, light coffee roast

taste: I like this stout quite a bit but am totally underwhelmed by the coffee presence. This doesnt really even come close to lining up with some competitors (tyranena, central waters, bells) in the coffee component...I get more creamy chocolate than anything, with light tones of coffee roast, burnt espresso, dark chocolate

mouthfeel: foamy and actually rather light

drinkability: just dandy

01-19-2009 01:08:05 | More by dirtylou
Riverwarrior

4.03/5  rDev +2%

S = Huge coffee aroma with cocoa in the background.

T = Big blast of coffee upfront with a dry cocoa flavor rounding out the flavor. The finish is all expresso coffee with a hint of roasted chocolate. Alcohol completely hidden.

MF = Body and carbonation just below medium. I would have liked the body to be a little thicker. Smooth and very easy to drink.

Overall, if you like a coffee styled beer, this one will certainly not disappoint. I thoroughly enjoyed this beer and will continue to pick it up when I'm in NC.

01-16-2009 11:30:33 | More by Riverwarrior
daliandragon

4.47/5  rDev +13.2%

I've been waiting patiently for Big Boss to release something in a dark beer, preferably a Stout. The old Edenton released a terrific Christmas themed stout right before they folded to reorganize and eventually become Big Boss and I've missed it. This has a shiny silver label without much adornment, #0046 of 5000.

This stout pours thick and black into my point with a bit of dark brown head that soon caps to nothing. The nose is unique, with licorice, molasses, and a touch of sour surrounding the coffee.

The strong coffee tones are almost overpowering, and very dry. The lingering aftertaste is black, bitter espresso. This is not quite like any coffee stout I've ever had. The texture is not quite silky smooth but is still satisfying.

This is an excellent beer and the good folks at Big Boss should be congratulated for brewing it. I eagerly await their next offering.

01-15-2009 02:16:28 | More by daliandragon
tommy78

4.65/5  rDev +17.7%

Drank bottle #2808....and was it a great bottle indeed!

A - Black. Simple as that! Minimal head after pouring out the beer.

S - Great smell. A combination of cocoa, coffee, and malts, which are subtle yet powerful at the same time.

T - Holy Cow! Very few beer have knocked off my socks like the taste of the beer. The smell translated very well into the taste. In fact, the taste got better as I got deeper into the pint glass.

M - Very smooth for a stout.

D - If I didn't have to go to work tomorrow, I would drink three of these! For an 8 percent beer, it is easy to drink the beer. Wow!

01-14-2009 02:36:11 | More by tommy78
EnigmaticDream

4.55/5  rDev +15.2%

A - Black as the blackest black times infinity. This one definitely rates up there with The Abyss in terms of darkness. The head was weak which is why I'm not giving it a perfect 5.

S - Smells of coffee, chocolate, molasses, bourbon, wood chips/barrel. Love the smell of this thing.

T - Roasted barley, chocolate, coffee. A bit of hoppiness for good measure. Very good taste. I wish it had more flavors popping out at me.

M - Good mouthfeel. Doesn't feel thick. Could be a little thicker I think.

D - Oh absolutely. Coming in at 8% could leave some staggering after a few. I'm down for more!

This beer is also quite amazing on tap.

FYI for NCers Healthfare in Brier Creek has a stock of these for sale at $6.49 or so.

01-09-2009 00:25:39 | More by EnigmaticDream
CWiggins

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

This year's version is called Aces & Ates, and is sold on tap and in 22oz bottles.

Purchased at EarthFare for $6.49. In the year or so since Edenton Brewing became Big Boss, bottled product has been appearing at a slow pace; this is the popular Raleigh breweries first single bottle offering.

Pours an oily, dark black, with very little surface foam. Coffee and bittersweet chocolate are the dominate aromas. The flavor is outstanding, with dark-roasted coffee evolving from a sweeter front taste. The coffee flavor persists through the aftertaste, combining with a mild hoppy bitterness for a perfectly balanced finish. I really adore the low carbonation of this brew; this allows for a thick, nearly chewy texture. Great stuff!

01-02-2009 01:01:12 | More by CWiggins
drunkmonk

4.28/5  rDev +8.4%

Bottle #125 of 5,000. Purchased at Sam's Quick Stop in Durham $6.99/bomber.

The lable exclaims "Handle your business". Ok, I'm game.

Pours almost opaque black, just a hint of light at the edges of glass. Firm, thick dark tan swirling lace lasts all the way down. Fantastic aroma of dark rosted coffee, some charred malts cutting through and faint hint of anise. Nice blend of dark roasted malts and dark roast coffee. Coffe flavors are very smooth, non acrid. Roasted malts hang firm, but definatly a second fiddle to the coffee. Sweet malts flavors finish things off. Smooth and somewhat subdued carbonation lends to a creamy but moderatly thin mouthfeel. The 8% abv is extremely well integrated. Slight warming ethanol noticed only when this bomber was three quaters sunk.

Very well done Big Boss, looking forward to more of these special releases in the future.

Check this one out if you get the chance.

12-30-2008 19:22:25 | More by drunkmonk
TurdFurgison

3.43/5  rDev -13.2%

I had this on tap at Horniblow's Tavern in Raleigh. The beer is dark black a 1-finger creamy tan foam. The smell is good for a coffee stout, some roasted malts but mostly the dark bean comes through. The taste is likewise good, coffee bean plus sweet malt. My only issue was that the mouthfeel was way too light for the style, very watery. I'd prefer a more substantial body to match the strength of the flavor.

11-15-2008 15:21:17 | More by TurdFurgison
rtratzlaff

4.8/5  rDev +21.5%

Served in a 10 oz. glass

This beer is infused with Larry's Beans XXX cold brewed coffee.

This solid black stout is a medium bodied stout with a dark chocolate flavors and a coffee flavor that sits just behind it all. The combination of sweet malt, chocolate flavor, and coffee make blend well. Lighter carbonation works well for this beer.

11-14-2008 17:27:51 | More by rtratzlaff
fingolfin72

4.38/5  rDev +10.9%

Black color with a mahogany head. Rich aroma of chocolate with hints of coffee and smoke. The palate is very big, but well balanced. Malty chocolate milk predominates, but there's an unmistakeable French Roast coffee undertone there. Profoundly satisfying on a cold, rainy day.

02-28-2008 02:58:23 | More by fingolfin72