Monkey Bizz-ness - Big Boss Brewing

Big Boss Brewing visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: atsprings on 05-12-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

I'm a big fan of local NC brews... I always give them a chance, they've got the guts to live the dream and brew for a living. I've had Big Boss brews I liked a lot more than this one... It's too thin for the style, not enough flavor or carbonation. That being said - it could be the draft here is off - wine maestro in Statesville, NC. I'll always give NC brews a second chance. Support local beer!

3.48/5  rDev -8.2%

On tap at the brewery's tasting room

Pours a pale gold with a thin lacing of head. Nose is subtle straw. Taste is wheat with mild spices; clove and coriander. Light bodied and lightly carbonated.

I was excited to try this beer as it's one I hadn't had before, but I can't say it was all I hoped for. I did not detect any spice characteristics that I would associate with a saison; more like a belgian pale or belgian strong pale.

4.69/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

It was a very hot day, my daughter had brought a six-pack of North Carolina locals back from a trip there. I only had one Monkey Bizz-ness in the 6 and it was an incredible start to the taste test. Not a single, of the other 5 local NC brews, stood up to this one. Working on getting more....great beer!

2.63/5  rDev -30.6%

I may have gotten a bad batch, but it was right after a release party, so I don't know. Anyway, I can definitely see where they got the name but this beer was flat. I mean it had no head and no lacing after the pour and I poured it fairly aggressively.

I probably gave it too high of marks, but I have been to the brewery a few times and was overall happy with what I have tried there, but this one was not so great. Maybe it was the alcohol that killed it but, it was not sudsy, even Dupont was foamy.

Appearance: No head whatsoever, but the color is glorious.

Smell: I can tell that is where the get the name from, lots of bananas in the profile, sweet, almost cloyingly sweet.

Taste: fruit, bananas, but some other fruit in the taste, but not as much as you find in other saisons, and no funk, which I like, overall this was a disappointing beer. It clings cloyingly to the mouth and not in an enjoyable way at all. Sickening, maybe this one had died but I was not impressed.

3.23/5  rDev -14.8%

Sampled at Tyler's Durham in a standard pint glass.

A - Golden and cloudy with a small white head but good lacing.

S - Belgian spices and candy sugar.

T - Belgian spices with a strong sweetness (too much in fact) and a definite presence of alcohol. No sourness at all. I thought it was decent but unbalanced and confused. The flavors seemed to be coming from all over without much regard for each other.

M - Good body with a low to moderate carbonation.

D - In the neighborhood of a Saison / Farmhouse Ale but raw and not very clean. Maybe this one needs more time. A decent beer but not one I'd try again.

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

on-tap, poured into a standard pint glass.

A: light gold color. cloudy and hazy. one finger white head, no lacing

S: very fruity, somewhat of oranges and citrus fruits. some mild spiciness.

T: some sweetness and fruity. also can taste a little bit of spiciness. no alcohol is noticed as the fruity esters dominate the palate.

MF: medium bodied, moderately high carbonation.

Drinkability: not a type of beer that i would drink a lot of, but i would get this beer again.

4.38/5  rDev +15.6%

Swing-top growler poured into a Duvel snifter a hazy pale orange with a nice off-white head that diminishes to a ring and leaves slight lacing. Aroma is a nice blend of sweet malts, orange peel, slight citrus and a touch of booze. The taste is a nice crisp complex blend of sweet malts and spice with just a hint of sourness, a bit of citrus hops make their presence known while keeping a low profile. The beer is medium bodied with a decent alcohol presence that is not overbearing at all, the beer still possesses all the refreshment you expect from the style. I've always looked forward to the release of Surrender Monkey, and even under its new name, this one doesn't disappoint. I'm looking forward to the bottle-conditioned bombers that are coming in the next few months.

4.22/5  rDev +11.3%

Draught @ brewery. This one pours a fairly clear, golden with a tinge of orange color. There was a small off white head that leaves just a bit of lacing. The aroma is good. There are notes of earthiness, malt sweetness, fruit, floral and spices. The taste is very good. It is just slightly sweet, earthy, spicy, very faint fruits. A nice brew.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »