Monkey Bizz-ness - Big Boss Brewing

Big Boss Brewing visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: atsprings on 05-12-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
2.63/5  rDev -30.6%

I may have gotten a bad batch, but it was right after a release party, so I don't know. Anyway, I can definitely see where they got the name but this beer was flat. I mean it had no head and no lacing after the pour and I poured it fairly aggressively.

I probably gave it too high of marks, but I have been to the brewery a few times and was overall happy with what I have tried there, but this one was not so great. Maybe it was the alcohol that killed it but, it was not sudsy, even Dupont was foamy.

Appearance: No head whatsoever, but the color is glorious.

Smell: I can tell that is where the get the name from, lots of bananas in the profile, sweet, almost cloyingly sweet.

Taste: fruit, bananas, but some other fruit in the taste, but not as much as you find in other saisons, and no funk, which I like, overall this was a disappointing beer. It clings cloyingly to the mouth and not in an enjoyable way at all. Sickening, maybe this one had died but I was not impressed.

I'm a big fan of local NC brews... I always give them a chance, they've got the guts to live the dream and brew for a living. I've had Big Boss brews I liked a lot more than this one... It's too thin for the style, not enough flavor or carbonation. That being said - it could be the draft here is off - wine maestro in Statesville, NC. I'll always give NC brews a second chance. Support local beer!

3.15/5  rDev -16.9%

[Suggested Glassware: Tulip Glass]

The pour was a murky dark apricot orange with an average (1-2 finger) off white creamy head that was mostly lasting, reducing to a large puddled film and medium collar with good spotty lacing.

The aroma was of sweet biscuit malts and a funky Belgian yeast with notes of toffee, coriander, a somewhat pronounced fruity ester (apple, peach and banana) and a definite presence of alcohol.

The taste was extremely malty sweet with a note of toffee at first, and then proceeded to have a strong presence of yeast, a bit of fruitiness with a mildly spicy and bold alcohol finish. The flavor hung around for an average time with the yeasty fruitiness giving was to a strong sweet alcohol warming sensation...

Mouthfeel was just about medium in body and a tad syrupy in texture with a good lively carbonation.

Overall this was a pretty good brew with the strong yeast flavor and fruity esters blending very well with the sweet malts. However I feel the high ABV that is quite prominent in this brew, was a bit too much…

3.23/5  rDev -14.8%

Sampled at Tyler's Durham in a standard pint glass.

A - Golden and cloudy with a small white head but good lacing.

S - Belgian spices and candy sugar.

T - Belgian spices with a strong sweetness (too much in fact) and a definite presence of alcohol. No sourness at all. I thought it was decent but unbalanced and confused. The flavors seemed to be coming from all over without much regard for each other.

M - Good body with a low to moderate carbonation.

D - In the neighborhood of a Saison / Farmhouse Ale but raw and not very clean. Maybe this one needs more time. A decent beer but not one I'd try again.

3.48/5  rDev -8.2%

On tap at the brewery's tasting room

Pours a pale gold with a thin lacing of head. Nose is subtle straw. Taste is wheat with mild spices; clove and coriander. Light bodied and lightly carbonated.

I was excited to try this beer as it's one I hadn't had before, but I can't say it was all I hoped for. I did not detect any spice characteristics that I would associate with a saison; more like a belgian pale or belgian strong pale.

3.65/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a near copper body beneath the foamy, off-white head which dissolves to leave almost no traces of its existence. Hints of yeast and lively bubles of carbonation continue to dance about the glass.

Zesty fruit such as lemon peel, hints of pepper, perhaps grass, and a touch of yeast highlight the aromas.

The flavor is much more spiced, and fairly well. The fruit is more subued, but there also seems to be a toasted malt quality in there. As advertised, the yeast is rustic tasting and perhaps there is just a hint of grapy must.

Medium in body with generous carbonation and a drying, spritzy finish.

Not a bad brew. Not sure it's spot on for any style be it Saison/Farmhouse or otherwise. Seems to have quality of a Belgian Pale as well, but certainly one to appreciate.

3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

I wasn't too familiar with this style, but tried it on tap in Raleigh after a friends wedding. I loved the spice characteristics I tasted. I felt like this could be a good "christmas" beer due to the spices, though I believe it is only available during summer. Appearance was a nice golden color with a decent head.

I agree with my friend's wife that this is a beer to watch out for, if you don't pay attention you will get far more inebriated than you expect.

on-tap, poured into a standard pint glass.

A: light gold color. cloudy and hazy. one finger white head, no lacing

S: very fruity, somewhat of oranges and citrus fruits. some mild spiciness.

T: some sweetness and fruity. also can taste a little bit of spiciness. no alcohol is noticed as the fruity esters dominate the palate.

MF: medium bodied, moderately high carbonation.

Drinkability: not a type of beer that i would drink a lot of, but i would get this beer again.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »