Young's Dirty Dick's Ale - Young & Co Brewery PLC

Young & Co Brewery PLC visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Bitter |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-14-2001

Retired following re-location of Young's brewing operation to Bedford (09/2006)
to view more.
Ratings: 198 | Reviews: 187
2.86/5  rDev -22.3%

Appearance - amber, nice head, lacing left

Aroma - grainy, is that metal?

Taste - Nice start, malty, caramel roastiness. Balanced with hops but I'm getting a bit of a metal taste that took away from the taste overall.

Mouthfeel - Nice carbonation, a bit thin.

Drinkability - a fairly good session beer, good and bad points.

4.07/5  rDev +10.6%

I see it says this brew is retired. Well, I found one at a liquor store on my way home from work and decided to give it a try. The label intrigued me. Pours a clear dark copper with a thick head and some lacing.

Smells like biscuity malt and crisp hops.

Taste is very well balanced. Malt to start then a nice bittering by the hops. Very drinkable.

This one's a great sessioner. If I can find more I'll definitely buy again.

3.6/5  rDev -2.2%

Clever label, interesting sounding ale so I picked one up a while back. Overall nice and tasty. Pours a medium amber color with a slightly creamy head that ultimately dissipates to a film. Moderate lacing is left along the glass and the carbonation is steady. The aroma is malty with a nutty undertone. I find the aroma slightly weak to detect but once the beer warms up it begins to come out a little more. I like the overall flavor of this one, it is rather malty with a slight hop character. The flavor is subtle, but it works well. Solid English Ale with a smooth finish and a clean aftertaste. Decent brew, nothing that stands out but all around decent.

3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

Best by date of 8/17/2007 on it.

A : Pours a nice ruby color with a decent heads that leaves some nice lacing on the glass

S : Big on the malt with some hints of fruit

T : Real smooth strong malt flavors with a touch of bitterness at the end. It does have a little bit of an alcohol character to it

M : Real creamy

D : It's a shame that it's retired. It's a really drinkable beer and I could see downing a couple of these a night.

3.9/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I managed to snag this since retired brew in a beer distributor in Yonkers NY. Although the best before date was 17 Aug 07, I figured I'd give it a shot.
The beer poured a dark amber color reminisent of iced tea and it left a nice off white head with lots of lace on the glass. The smell was fragrant, but not over powering. I enjoyed the taste, but it was a litte thinner then I would have expected from this style of ale.
I would definitely recommend this one to anyone that can still get there hands on it. A great session beer.

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

I was surprised to find this at Wayne's Liquor yesterday knowing that the production of this beer has ceased. You can tell this is English with the slogan on the label, "one of the cheekiest ales around!" Or by looking at the "brewed in London" phrase where the ABV is listed. So on to the beer:

Light orange to caramel color, the head is compact. The diacetyl in this brew melds together nicely with the rest of the flavors, with moderate tones of caramel and a kick of hops. Light splash of fruity esters are hinted as well. At first, I wasn't impressed by this, but the more I got along the more I wished I bought another bottle. Allowing it to warm up does wonders to this beer.

4.08/5  rDev +10.9%

Enjoyed a couple months back, even though this offering has been retired. Still, I figured I'd post my findings anyway.

A: Over three fingers of pillowy, white head surge forth on the pour, leaving pockets of lace thick along the sides of the glass. The beer's color is a ruby-red with hints of russet that is transparent.

S: Mild malt aroma that contains notes of grain and a very faint toffee-sweetness. Other than that, not much in the way of the bouquet, but this subtlety is enticing.

T: Ultra-smooth malt flavor rolls over the front of the tongue. As it makes its way back, a brief flash of mildly bitter hops (very much English in character) keeps the palate on its toes. If you weren't looking for it, you might just miss it; but the flavor itself is so spot-on that it keeps you coming back. Finish is mostly a grainy malt feel that slides away freshly.

M: Chewy and well-carbonated, rather creamy in texture and definitely pleasing in conjunction with the flavors this beer exudes.

D: Incredibly drinkable, this is a fine session beer. Flavor is ultra-mild, but still has enough subtle nuance for the palate to stay interested. All this coupled with a low abv makes for fine drinking. Unfortunately, this one has been axed, which is a shame.

3.73/5  rDev +1.4%

I picked this beer up in Nashville a few weeks back; BA says it is retired, but there are still some bottles around TN. This is my BA one year anniversary review. I chose this beer because it was my profile picture for most of that year.

Poured into a pint glass Best before date - June 26, 2007

A - This beer pours a dark ruby with a two finger creamy off white head. Decent lacing.

S - Aroma is big on the malt, maybe some dark fruits in there as well.

T - This is a very malty beer that is fairly sweet. Definitely has the taste of figs, and finishes with a very light bitterness. However, there is an alcohol character to this beer that isnt pleasant, slightly medicinal.

M - Nice creamy mouthfeel, very lightly carbonated.

D - This would be very drinkable if it wasnt for the slightly medicinal taste. A very malty bitter, that seems closer to an ESB to me. If Young's was still making this beer, I would definitely recommend it; the band aid taste in my beer may have come from its age.

3.82/5  rDev +3.8%

500ml bottle into a nonic. Best by date of August 17, 2007. BA has this listed as an English Bitter but at 5.2ABV it is awfully strong, even for a Best Bitter.

Pours a hazy amber with copper highlights. Surprisingly tall head, maybe 3" of a finely textured tan foam that settles to a thin but solid layer which persists down the glass leaving a little lace.

Aroma of malt, caramel, floral hop, honey and tangerine, very nice.

A woody, biscuity taste starts, surprisingly unsweet. Deep toasty malt flavor mingles with some herbal hops. Well-balnced just a little to the bitter side. Finish is long, easy, and pleasant.

Full body with moderate to low carbonation gives a rich creamy mouthfeel that avoids being too sticky. Goes down easy, dangerously drinkable.

It is unfortunate that Dirty Dick's is no more, though I probably wouldn't feel so bad if Young's would get some of their other bottled beers over to the USA.

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is an amber-orange color with a one-finger tan colored head. The smell has a sweet amber maltiness about it, a slight fruitiness and just a whisper of hops. The taste also has an initial sweet maltiness and fruitiness but finishes slightly bitter. The mouthfeel is incredibly smooth, with a medium body and light carbonation. Very drinkable, easy to put down quickly. Overall a good beer, sad to see it go. I too had a best before date of 8/17/07 so I guess I was lucky to try it.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Freshness date of August 17, 2007. I must have had one of the last bottles produced. Pours between an amber and a brown with an orange tint. Head is slightly on the short side and fades to a cap. Some okay lacing. The smell is very fruity- almost like fruity pebbles, with orange, cherry, rapberry, and banana, as wellas some cereal grain. Unusual. The taste is more mellow and very smooth. Subdued fruit, a slight copperiness, and earthy, bitter hops on the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is smooth but substantial. A little different, I'm sorry to see it go.

Poured a bottle of this beer out into a glass mug. I was impressed with it from the onset. The appearance of the beer was a dark amber color with a fairly small white head with decent retention. The head reduces to a nice lacing that holds with the rest of the beer. The smell was very malty and had me enticed. The taste was slightly bitter and malty with kind of a nutty aftertaste. The mouthfeel was pretty thick and very smooth. Despite its thickness, this beer is nice and smooth and very drinkable. Highly recommended.

4.22/5  rDev +14.7%

APPEARANCE

This beer has a dark redish brown to it. Highly carbonated and retained its head quite well. Looks very inviting.

SMELL

It smelled malty, somewhat toasty aroma. It was ok, not memorable.

TASTE

Really good. A lot better than expected. Could taste the maltiness. It is somewhat bitter in a good way.

MOUTHFEEL

Coarsed and very carbonated.

DRINKABILITY

Is now one of my favorite ales. Very impressed.

3.92/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a dark copper-y red body with large, light-tan head. Decent lacing.

Dark, toasty malts laced with yeast. Brown sugar and coffee notes. Kind of a brown ale aroma, methinks. Pretty interesting.

Medium-full body, thick but very smooth. Slightly carbonated. Body is a little heavy, a little like Rosie O'Donnel and not enough like Scarlett Johanson.

Deliciously dark and toasty. Lightly bitter hops. Nice coffee/caramel layer, maybe fig/raisin?

Quite nice. Similar to a Bass, but with more depth. Almost crosses into brown ale territory, but who cares. Good beer, but nothing extraordinary.

3.64/5  rDev -1.1%

$2.99/1pt. 9oz. bottle
Dan's Liquor
Plover, Wisconsin

Appearance - A deep amber color with a hazyness I associate normally with a wheat or hefeweizen. The head pours deep to about 2 inches but fades fast which is why I rate it a 4.5 and not a 5.0.

Smell - A malty but weak scent makes the smell no more than average.

Taste - Judging by the color I expected an array of flavors to accompany Dirty Dick. I was mistaken. This is a very simple tasting beer. The taste is noticable but timid. The taste is good. I enjoy the flavor but there is only one.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth to the lips, tongue, throat, and on down. The feel of this beer is well above average. The feel makes this beer easy to drink.

~ While I don't think I'd pay another $2.99 for a bottle of it I would however indulge in this beer if I were enjoying an eventful eveing at a tavern that offered it on tap. It's an easy beer going down and I feel I could drink one after another if the timing were right.

3.91/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a clear amber with a large tan foamy head. A very nice looking beer,full of color and a head that lasts and leaves great lacing. The smell is full of sweet malt,dark fruit,bread yeast,and some alcohol. The taste is much like the smell,full of sweet roasted malt, a surprisingly high amount of hops,and some candy flavors like carmel. The m/f is light and the flavors mix very well. It's too bad that this is retired because this really is a quality beer that could be a session brew.

4.2/5  rDev +14.1%

What an interesting beer!

Poured from a bottle into a mug and noticed a rather cloudy split color appearance. Poured a nice two finger head with decent retention through out.

The smell is very malty with just a touch of hops thrown in.

Maybe started a bit too cold with this one because as it warmed up a bit the flavor seemed to rise to a whole new level. I found the malt just delightful and I enjoyed this beer through and through.

4.01/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This is a very unique beer I must say.

I drank it before I knew the correct styles, and the flavor tones kept me guessing. I was guessing an APA. Anyways, this is the review.

Cloudy split color body, beautiful appearance.

Smell is extremely malty with floral and herbacous hops thrown into the mix.

Taste attacks the palate upfront with an assault of bitterness. You can taste the Kent Goldings, and Champions. Beautiful and aromatic all around. Large amounts of nutty caramel malt stick to your tongue and latch on for the ride. Overload on the senses while maintaining a perfect balance. Bitterness is strong and recedes slowly. This is the best Dirty Dick I have ever had.

Such a great beer, with a lot of pleasure to offer. From flavor to funk, to style to frazz, this beer has it all.

3.67/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured a clear amber with minimal head. Aromas were sweet, light malts, some spicy notes, esters. Taste was mild- lightly weet candy malts, hints of licorice with a nice subtle hop profile. Fruity esters are nice in the background and keep the brew fresh. Light and not sticky or heavy on the tongue for the sweetness. Very refreshing sessionable beer.

4.18/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a light reddish brown color with a large off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is heavy with caramelized malt, dark fruits, buttscotch and some hops.

T: The taste is fruity and sweet (I thought this was an “English BITTER”?) with flavors of berries, apples, caramel, honey and butterscotch up front. A good hops character follows to provide a nice balance. The fruitiness and hoppiness combine for a bitter-sweet after-taste.

M: Very smooth with a little bit of crispness, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

D: I was drawn in by the fact that this beer had been retired and there were 4 bottles left on the shelf. I definitely was not expecting the beer to be this tasty. It goes down easily and is not very filling. Overall, I haven’t been much of a fan of the beers that I’ve had from the UK and I’ve never had a beer in this style before, so I really wasn’t expecting much. Now that I’ve tried this one, I find it a bit disheartening that the first British beer that I’ve liked has been retired whether it’s for good or just temporarily.

3.71/5  rDev +0.8%

Served in a pint glass, the beer pours an copper/red/amber color with about an inch tan head and a lot of lacing. It smells like butterscotch, grape, caramel and a bit of floral hops. The beer tastes pretty much the same way it smells, but with some nuttiness in the taste too. There's also a slight lingering aftertaste. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium with a good amount of carbonation. Drinkability is good, it's smooth and easy to drink. Not a bad beer at all, I think it's a decent choice as a session beer except for the fact that the beer is retired now.

3.9/5  rDev +6%

Well sunnovabitch didnt realize this one was retired, had a bottle last night that was sitting in my cupboard for about a year. This was my second dirty dick (maybe thats why they retired this one, after all who would admit to really liking a dirty dick?).

Appearance
This one poured a hazy, slightly ruddy burnished bronze colour. A two finger slightly ruddy head formed on the pour. This brew was thinly yet somewhat intricately laced.

Aroma
Richly scented, with the aromas of fruity esters, floral hops, and tasty malts. Grape, pear, toasted biscuit, and earthy floral hops are all there for my enjoyment.

Taste
Toasty biscuity malts make up the malt backbone on this one, with some tasty nutty toffee flavours playing a lesser role. Fruity esters come to the fore with hints of grape, cherry, and pear. Lightly floral and slightly bitter hop finish.

Mouthfeel
A medium bodied, well balanced, dry and refreshing mildly astringent brew. Decent level of hop bitterness to counterbalance the malts and fruity esters.

Drinkability
Definately drinkable and sessionable ale. Wont knock your socks off but this is a solid, tasty and approachable brew. I recommend everyone have a dirty dick at least once in their life.

3.92/5  rDev +6.5%

Appearance: This beer poured a dark amber with an inch of rocky cream-like head. It leaves a decent amount laceing around my mug.

Smell: The aromas consist of sour candied apples, nuttiness combined with some type a wood, vague butterscotch and ice tea(no lemon). Not bad by any means.

Taste: Surprisingly this brew is not as bitter as I had anticipated. It's much like the nose, sweet caramel and butterscotch flavors seem to hit my palate off and on. Not much tea-like flavors but the the wood notes remain.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Goes down smooth and easy. My palate almost feels violated from the inconsistant switching of sweet to wood to bitter and then back to sweet, but I like it. ;)

Drinkability: Im sad to see that this beer is now retired. I wish I could have gotten to know this beer a little better and more often. If you see this on a shelf somewhere, try it, it's worth it!

Cheers2Beers

4.35/5  rDev +18.2%

Served from a 500ml bottle into an imperial pint glass.

Pours a dark, clear copper color, with about one finger of white head. The nose is fresh malt and grass, sweet, and with a hint of hops. The flavor is similar, with sweet malts, caramel, and honey predominating. The mouthfeel is smooth, and drinkability is high.

Apparently this ale will be no more now that the Ram brewery has been closed. It's a shame, as this is one of the finer English ales you're likely to taste.

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

Saw this in the store and figured I should buy it, knowing that the Ram Brewery had closed, but didn't realize that they simultaneously retired this brew. Luckily the best-by date hasn't passed - February 1, 2007. It pours from the half-liter bottle into my newly-acquired Sammy Smith's pint a little redder than copper with a slight haze and very low carbonation leading up to a two finger head that reduces to a collar and leaves light lacing. It smells oily/resiny, with floral/green and lightly citric (orange) hops. There are matching hops in the flavor, with additional notes of leafy/piney hops, and a medium bitterness offset by toasted, lightly caramelly malts, and a touch of diacetyl. Fairly full-flavored and quite balanced. The body is medium, drying, with medium to high carbonation and an equal finish. Wait for this one to warm a bit before drinking, but when you do it becomes pretty drinkable - could definitely be a session ale if not retired.

to view more.