Giant Slayer - Tri-City Brewing Company

Giant SlayerGiant Slayer

Tri-City Brewing Company visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: david131 on 01-27-2009)
4.25/5  rDev +28.8%

1.25/5  rDev -62.1%

3.39/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A surprisingly cheap $2 single. Poured it into a shaker pint. Had their Giant Vanilla Slayer at last year's World Expo of Beer in Frankenmuth and thought it was a fantastic beer. How's this one?

Appearance: A half-aggressive pour had to be stopped after three ounces due to an insane amount of foaming. What? I haven't seen that for an Imperial Stout in my LIFE. Huge cinnamon colored head that eventually went down to about half a finger and stayed. A lot of lacing. Pitch black hued brew.

Smell: B-L-A-H. Worst Imperial Stout I've whiffed, that I can remember. I've never smelled one quite so bland. Mild roast, but I actually get a lot of hop character in there. So much so that it almost smells like a black IPA, but not quite. Well, I don't think it's so much that the hops are potent as the other characteristics are just subdued. A shame.

Taste/feel: A medium sort of feel with a moderate carbonation. Not quite what I'd expect for the style, but not bad. That hop character comes through on the start with a weird, surprising wave of... saltiness? This is an incredibly salty tasting beer. On the back there's a very pleasant roasty character with some chocolate and alcohol warmth, but it's not there enough through the sip, or even on the finish.

A decent beer. Considering a single bottle was $2, this is about what I expected. The biggest drawback for this beer, aside from the fact that it doesn't have a huge roasty boldness I affiliate with an Imperial Stout, and the feel is a bit off, is definitely that unusual amount of, for the lack of a better description, SALTINESS that I get on this one. Not a soy sauce sort of flavor or anything, just... salt. So much in fact that for a moment after each sip I take, I swear I feel a slight bit of acid reflux -- and I very, very rarely get acid reflux. In case you're wondering, no, I didn't eat anything recently that'd cause it.

It's a fair value for $2 for the ABV alone... and hey, it tastes alright as well. just don't drink too much of this, because you may end up dehydrated. Not from the alcohol, but from the salt.

(I swear to God, there must be a tablespoon per bottle. Why doesn't it ruin the beer for me?)

Give Giant Salter -- I mean Slayer -- a run for yourself.

3.66/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is jet black in color. It poured with a short mocha colored head that died down a bit but never completely faded away.
S: Moderate aromas of licorice, dark malts and molasses are present in the nose.
T: The taste mostly follows the smell and has additional hints of roasted malts in the flavors, most particularly towards the finish.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation along with hints of dryness towards the finish.
O: This beer feels a little lighter in body compared to other Russian Imperial Stouts, but isn't too difficult to drink.

3.7/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

'Giant Slayer' is a cool name for a beer that looks so big and strong; its deep, inky-black tone is sure to be intimidating to most people. It's a natural to play 'David' considering none of the 'Goliath' breweries offer anything remotely so dark or opaque. The most colourful part of the beer is its hazelnut-coloured head... while it lasted.

To be entirely honest, I was expecting the worst after reading the reviews for this beer on the two big rating sites. It's my first offering from this tiny, unknown Michigan brewery. But much to my relief, the aroma shows no noticeable signs of infection and, along with the appearance, is promising. Fudge-y malts, dark fruits, and black licorice are a very decent start.

The flavour has enough chocolate, vanilla, and coffee to keep me happy. It's not the symphony that some Russian Imperial Stouts offer up but it's serviceable. The finish is lightly ashy with an appreciable smokiness and a leafy bitterness that's been entwined with black licorice notes. It's well composed for its strength (though 8.5% is conservative for the style).

The mouthfeel reveals an underlying sweetness reminiscent of brown sugar or molasses. This covers for the faint soy sauce-like impression (and compliments the chocolate brownie and black coffee flavours). It has a hint of oak too, even though it's not barrel-aged (this likely owing to the presence of vanilla bean on the finish). Drink it now. I doubt it'll cellar well.

It looks I was in the lucky minority to get a non-infected bottle of Giant Slayer - take my word, it's not a bad little.. err, big recipe. It doesn't rival Michigan's best Imperial Stouts (Founders' or any of the many Bells) but the people of Bay City can't consider themselves hard-done by; if this were on-tap near me I'd have to hire someone to carry me home.

3.75/5  rDev +13.6%