Charity Island India Pale Ale - Tri-City Brewing Company

Charity Island India Pale Ale
No picture uploaded.

Tri-City Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: in780 on 01-21-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by Bitter_Echo:

Bitter_Echo, Apr 26, 2013
2.89/5  rDev -13.2%

The first bottle I open is a gusher. All of them seem to have an issue with overactive yeast and heavy foaming. The head does show substance and structure, though, as after it actually liquifies into beer the brown head that's left is thick and rocky, very heavy. and it stays around. Rather than simple lacing, it's most of the head itself that's left on the glass, so that a foam remains while a massively thick ring sits at the top of the glass followed by some patching. I don't know what to make of this. It's likely to be malt-heavy.
It is, though it doesn't lack hops on the nose. It is a little light overall in that regard. It's filled with bread, earth and metallic overtones while some citrus peel and leaf add a dry bitterness to counter. All said, metal is the strongest factor.
It's likewise metallic on the tongue with a sour lemon and pith, the malt and hops clashing rather than cooperating. Thus, it starts malty and transitions to hops with no in-between, no moderation and no consistency. Yeast is heavier than in most beers I've had, lots of dust and earth from it. It goes chalky and astringently bitter in the finish. The redeeming quality is that it works together better as it sits and warms.
It's a little foamy and the medium body relies on the carbonation so that it goes a little weak later in the sip, but the feel holds together better than anything else.

Brenden, Nov 14, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -32.4%

beergorrilla, Dec 21, 2012

zonker17, Nov 29, 2012

tommy5, Aug 25, 2014
3.03/5  rDev -9%

A: deep copper pour. Unable to generate more than a finger's worth of pale white head, even with very aggressive pours. Very good lacing around the tulip.

S: average for an IPA. Smells more malty than hoppy compared to most others of the style I have tried.

T: if there were a style known as light APA then this might be it. Nice balance between hops and malt because there is little of either. My average rating might be generous for the style listed.

M/D: average here also. So light it could be a summer chugger, but there are several others out there - including lagers - that I would choose first.

Another6Pack, Feb 28, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +15.6%

Rated from notes. Consumed at Kalamazoo beer exchage.

A & S: fairly clear red/orange colored beer. About 2 fingernails of frothy white head that dissipates at a modest rate. Bits of lacing. Smell is pretty straightforward: citrus hops

T & M: apple bitterness, earthy hops, and cloves with a bitter hoppy finish. Easy to drink. Medium bodied, well carbonated. Crisp and a bit smooth.

O: Nothing very complex but I felt this beer was pretty darn good. I would get this beer again and I was surprised by the price $2.25 at a bar… not bad.

minterro, Aug 11, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -15%

I picked up a bottle of Tri-City's Charity Island India Pale Ale a couple days ago for $1.79 at The Lager Mill. This is one of the few beers from this brewery that I have yet to try so I thought I should finally sit down and give it a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- I like the label and name of this beer, it's cool that they named this beer after one of the unique landmarks that this part of Michigan has to offer, I have been to the island before and have actually climbed the staircase to the top of the lighthouse that is picture in the lable, it looks like this picture is from after it was restored, I was there before it was restored. It poured a deep and cloudy amber/orange color that is a little darker then most IPA's and it had a big three fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring and left some nice rings of lacing. It is a little dark but other then that it looks OK.

S- The aroma of this IPA is pretty balanced. It starts off with a good amount of hops that have a high amount of medium sweetness and has an aroma that is a mix of caramel and pale malts that impart a sweet doughy aroma. Next comes the hops that are on the light side of medium and impart a mixture of grassy, herbal, and earthy aromas. It smells OK, but it needs more hop aromas to balance out all those malts.

T- The taste seems to be a little different from the aroma. It starts of with that malt base which has more caramel malt flavors then pale malt flavors and isn't nearly as sweet as the aroma led me to believe, it actually has the right amount of sweetness in the taste. The hops are relatively light and impart some herbal, piney and a very slight citrus taste, I could go for about twice as much hop flavor. The finish is slightly hoppy with a very low amount of bitterness and a doughy aftertaste. This has an old school IPA taste which is very different from the common in your face flavor of American IPA's.

M- Smooth, slightly crisp, medium bodied with a high amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was spot on for an American IPA.

Overall I thought that this was a slightly bellow average American IPA. This style should have a pretty significant hop flavor and aroma, it should also have a good amount of bitterness and this beer did not have any of those things, it could be an older beer and the hops might have faded, but with no bottling date I can't confirm that, so I am holding that against them, date your beers. This beer has OK drinkability, it went down smooth and easy, but it didn't have enough IPA flavors to hold my attention, I got bored with this beer halfway through the glass. What I liked most about this beer was the malt backbone and the mouthfeel, the malt base was pretty good for an IPA and the mouthfeel is just what I would expect from this style. What I liked the least about this beer was the lack of hops in the flavor and the aroma, a bigger does of hops would make this beer more like an IPA and less like an APA, some citrus hop flavors wouldn't hurt also. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I am glad I tried it but it isn't true enough to the style to warrant another purchase. I don't really recommend this beer, it just doesn't do the American IPA style justice. I was pretty unimpressed with this beer, this only further reinforces my thinking that this brewery is pretty hit or miss, there's only a couple more beers in their lineup that I haven't tried but I don't think I will be chomping at the bit to try them. Unfortunately this beer isn't nearly as cool as the islands it's named after.

StoutHunter, Jan 03, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -17.4%

Zaphog, Jun 04, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +12.6%

schmityl, Jan 14, 2013
3.03/5  rDev -9%

Duvel Tulip
No bottle on date (disappointing)

A: Huge two finger off white head. Cloudy deep amber in color with orange hues. Some sporadic lacing.
S: Smells almost identical to my last homebrew. Carmel malts and Centennial hops.
T: Again some carmel malts and Centennial hops. Slight lingering bitterness. I'm also picking up some off flavors (light cardboard/plastic) especially when I burped.
M: Too much carbonation. Better once swirled and allowed to die down. Drying finish.
O: I feel like they bottled my last homebrew, which is not the greatest thing to say, because I have since adjusted it to improve. Overall it was just okay, I can't justify trying to support this very local brewery when I have Founder/Bells/Shorts available to me @ the same price point. Sorry I tried.

jmich24, Aug 19, 2011

TasteTester, May 26, 2012

Morakaton, Nov 25, 2013

mpgillett, Aug 04, 2013
4.13/5  rDev +24%

A: Head followed by thin lacing, though it vanishes quickly. Nice color.

S: Hops, sweetness from malt.

T: A nice bitter flavor from the hops with sweet malts. Pine and hints of citrus are also there.

M: Nicely carbonated. Easy to drink. Good for the summer.

O: I really like this beer. It has a nice bitterness that I really appreciate, with some sweetness to offset it. It's perfect for sipping on during warmer months.

HeavyMetalBrew, Jun 30, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -3.9%

A- Pours a lightly hazed orange liquid with a thin but creamy bone white head. If the haze were more homogenous as opposed to millions of little floaters, this would probably be a winner.

S- Caramel, pine, mint, and lemon zest.

T- Caramel, pine, and some citrus. A bit simple and old school, but not bad.

M- A bit of a bit from the carbonation, followed by a bit of bitter hop oiliness.

D- Drinks decently well for the style, just nothing I would really seek out. In a world full of IPAs, this one just doesn't cut it.

david131, Apr 02, 2011

klipper, Nov 18, 2011

Gtg642, Oct 20, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Interesting for not being amazing. The first one I drank gave me notes reminiscent of a stout(to the point I made a friend try it and we both wondered if it was a misbottle) before the second one gave way to mild crisp hoppy flavors that while fine failed to impress. It's not terrible but a slightly metallic taste does definitely keep me from calling it something other than a novelty.

Dannyb906, Aug 17, 2014