Charity Island India Pale Ale - Tri-City Brewing Company

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by Bitter_Echo:

3.83/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L: A hazy amber pour into a craft beer glass produces a 3” off-white rocky foam collar that produces magnificent lace. S: Floral aromas with malt and hints of citrus and resin. T: Malt, a trace of diacetyl, caramel, biscuit, some cardamom to cola. F: Creamy, medium body and carbonation, a hint of slickness, astringency from the hops. O: A pretty good effort but a little to buttery.

2.93/5  rDev -12.3%

The first bottle I open is a gusher. All of them seem to have an issue with overactive yeast and heavy foaming. The head does show substance and structure, though, as after it actually liquifies into beer the brown head that's left is thick and rocky, very heavy. and it stays around. Rather than simple lacing, it's most of the head itself that's left on the glass, so that a foam remains while a massively thick ring sits at the top of the glass followed by some patching. I don't know what to make of this. It's likely to be malt-heavy.
It is, though it doesn't lack hops on the nose. It is a little light overall in that regard. It's filled with bread, earth and metallic overtones while some citrus peel and leaf add a dry bitterness to counter. All said, metal is the strongest factor.
It's likewise metallic on the tongue with a sour lemon and pith, the malt and hops clashing rather than cooperating. Thus, it starts malty and transitions to hops with no in-between, no moderation and no consistency. Yeast is heavier than in most beers I've had, lots of dust and earth from it. It goes chalky and astringently bitter in the finish. The redeeming quality is that it works together better as it sits and warms.
It's a little foamy and the medium body relies on the carbonation so that it goes a little weak later in the sip, but the feel holds together better than anything else.

2.25/5  rDev -32.6%

2.69/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.03/5  rDev -9.3%

A: deep copper pour. Unable to generate more than a finger's worth of pale white head, even with very aggressive pours. Very good lacing around the tulip.

S: average for an IPA. Smells more malty than hoppy compared to most others of the style I have tried.

T: if there were a style known as light APA then this might be it. Nice balance between hops and malt because there is little of either. My average rating might be generous for the style listed.

M/D: average here also. So light it could be a summer chugger, but there are several others out there - including lagers - that I would choose first.

3.83/5  rDev +14.7%

Rated from notes. Consumed at Kalamazoo beer exchage.

A & S: fairly clear red/orange colored beer. About 2 fingernails of frothy white head that dissipates at a modest rate. Bits of lacing. Smell is pretty straightforward: citrus hops

T & M: apple bitterness, earthy hops, and cloves with a bitter hoppy finish. Easy to drink. Medium bodied, well carbonated. Crisp and a bit smooth.

O: Nothing very complex but I felt this beer was pretty darn good. I would get this beer again and I was surprised by the price $2.25 at a bar… not bad.

2.85/5  rDev -14.7%

I picked up a bottle of Tri-City's Charity Island India Pale Ale a couple days ago for $1.79 at The Lager Mill. This is one of the few beers from this brewery that I have yet to try so I thought I should finally sit down and give it a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- I like the label and name of this beer, it's cool that they named this beer after one of the unique landmarks that this part of Michigan has to offer, I have been to the island before and have actually climbed the staircase to the top of the lighthouse that is picture in the lable, it looks like this picture is from after it was restored, I was there before it was restored. It poured a deep and cloudy amber/orange color that is a little darker then most IPA's and it had a big three fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring and left some nice rings of lacing. It is a little dark but other then that it looks OK.

S- The aroma of this IPA is pretty balanced. It starts off with a good amount of hops that have a high amount of medium sweetness and has an aroma that is a mix of caramel and pale malts that impart a sweet doughy aroma. Next comes the hops that are on the light side of medium and impart a mixture of grassy, herbal, and earthy aromas. It smells OK, but it needs more hop aromas to balance out all those malts.

T- The taste seems to be a little different from the aroma. It starts of with that malt base which has more caramel malt flavors then pale malt flavors and isn't nearly as sweet as the aroma led me to believe, it actually has the right amount of sweetness in the taste. The hops are relatively light and impart some herbal, piney and a very slight citrus taste, I could go for about twice as much hop flavor. The finish is slightly hoppy with a very low amount of bitterness and a doughy aftertaste. This has an old school IPA taste which is very different from the common in your face flavor of American IPA's.

M- Smooth, slightly crisp, medium bodied with a high amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was spot on for an American IPA.

Overall I thought that this was a slightly bellow average American IPA. This style should have a pretty significant hop flavor and aroma, it should also have a good amount of bitterness and this beer did not have any of those things, it could be an older beer and the hops might have faded, but with no bottling date I can't confirm that, so I am holding that against them, date your beers. This beer has OK drinkability, it went down smooth and easy, but it didn't have enough IPA flavors to hold my attention, I got bored with this beer halfway through the glass. What I liked most about this beer was the malt backbone and the mouthfeel, the malt base was pretty good for an IPA and the mouthfeel is just what I would expect from this style. What I liked the least about this beer was the lack of hops in the flavor and the aroma, a bigger does of hops would make this beer more like an IPA and less like an APA, some citrus hop flavors wouldn't hurt also. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I am glad I tried it but it isn't true enough to the style to warrant another purchase. I don't really recommend this beer, it just doesn't do the American IPA style justice. I was pretty unimpressed with this beer, this only further reinforces my thinking that this brewery is pretty hit or miss, there's only a couple more beers in their lineup that I haven't tried but I don't think I will be chomping at the bit to try them. Unfortunately this beer isn't nearly as cool as the islands it's named after.

2.75/5  rDev -17.7%

3.25/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Tri-City Charity Island.

Tri-City impressed me so much with the one and only offering I have ever had by them, so naturally I am going to go back to them and see what else they are made of. Had my laughs for the night watching the clown show..I mean GOP debate, so it's TIME FOR SOME BEER.

Look - Pours a deep amber with a finger and a half of slighty off white head that has thus far retained fairly well. The body is incredibly murky and sediment is quite apparent. Carbonation appears to be on medium. Leaves a moderate amount of lacing throughout the glass. Head retained throughout the duration of the drink. 4.25.

Smell - Well this is weird. Smells almost like a hybrid between a moderately strong porter and a session IPA. Lemon zest with a smidge of grapefruit along side some roasted malts and a medium amount of coffee. 3.

Taste - Alright this one is going to take a minute to fully grasp. An odd malty twang followed by some highly bitter grapefruit juice and citric acid which attempts to meld with lemon tea and a certain toastiness that I can't quite put my finger on. 3.25.

Feel - The body is very full and creamy with a high level of carbonation. The awkward flavor profile makes sitting this one for more than ten minutes at a time a bit of a chore. Upon swallow it feels like water coating your throat. 3.25.

Overall - While it was unique, that isn't exactly a good thing. I could drink about one a sitting. This beer was what would happen if you mixed a low price, but high alcohol porter with an average, low alcohol IPA. These guys are 1 for 2 so far in my book. It is certainly not the worst beer in the world, but I'd probably pass in the future. Or have it on tap with limited choices. 3.25.

3.46/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev +12.3%

3.03/5  rDev -9.3%

Duvel Tulip
No bottle on date (disappointing)

A: Huge two finger off white head. Cloudy deep amber in color with orange hues. Some sporadic lacing.
S: Smells almost identical to my last homebrew. Carmel malts and Centennial hops.
T: Again some carmel malts and Centennial hops. Slight lingering bitterness. I'm also picking up some off flavors (light cardboard/plastic) especially when I burped.
M: Too much carbonation. Better once swirled and allowed to die down. Drying finish.
O: I feel like they bottled my last homebrew, which is not the greatest thing to say, because I have since adjusted it to improve. Overall it was just okay, I can't justify trying to support this very local brewery when I have Founder/Bells/Shorts available to me @ the same price point. Sorry I tried.

1.48/5  rDev -55.7%

4.07/5  rDev +21.9%

A: Head followed by thin lacing, though it vanishes quickly. Nice color.

S: Hops, sweetness from malt.

T: A nice bitter flavor from the hops with sweet malts. Pine and hints of citrus are also there.

M: Nicely carbonated. Easy to drink. Good for the summer.

O: I really like this beer. It has a nice bitterness that I really appreciate, with some sweetness to offset it. It's perfect for sipping on during warmer months.

3.21/5  rDev -3.9%

A- Pours a lightly hazed orange liquid with a thin but creamy bone white head. If the haze were more homogenous as opposed to millions of little floaters, this would probably be a winner.

S- Caramel, pine, mint, and lemon zest.

T- Caramel, pine, and some citrus. A bit simple and old school, but not bad.

M- A bit of a bit from the carbonation, followed by a bit of bitter hop oiliness.

D- Drinks decently well for the style, just nothing I would really seek out. In a world full of IPAs, this one just doesn't cut it.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast