Oktoberfest - Tri-City Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BBP on 09-09-2011

Reviews by GRPunk:
3.48/5  rDev -5.4%

Bottle poured into my Siciliano's mug.

A- It had a clean, copper body with moderate carbonation. A normal pour created a 1/2-finger head that didn't stick around too long before becoming a light film. There were really good sticky rings left on the glass.

S- Initially sweet and malty. Pretty faint at first. A deeper waft, and I get some definite, complimentary, herbal hops.

T- Better than the aroma suggests. Good mix of malty qualities. Sweet caramel/toffee. Roasted grains and toasted bread. Enough hopping to balance and lend a spicy/herbal/medicinal edge. Hopping really cleans up the finish.

M- Nice, full body. Quite light on the carbonation.

O- It's an easy drinker for sure. Like many an Oktoberfest, I could do a few in a sitting. Noting bad about this beer, nothing to distinguish itself either. I would drink this beer again, but probably not seek it out.

3.55/5  rDev -3.5%

I picked up a bottle of Tri-City's Oktoberfest a couple days ago for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I was looking for a local Oktoberfest to try and this was the first one I saw so I thought I would give it a try and see how it matches up to the other Oktoberfest's I have had. As usual with Tri-City's there is no bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into my Oktoberfest mug.

A- The label is pretty plain but clean looking with a little bit of the typical Oktoberfest pattern. It poured a nice clean copper color with a fingers worth of white head that quickly died down to a thin and flimsy ring that stayed till the end and left no lacing.

S- The aroma of this beer is pretty subdued, I mainly pick up loads of sweet malts, possibly caramel, the malts smell pretty sweet. There is also a noticeable amount of herbal and earthy hops that stick out at the end.

T- The taste of this beer is much different from the aroma. It starts out with a good amount of malts that have a medium high amount of sweetness to them and lots of lightly toasted biscuit like flavors from the malts. After the malts come the herbal and earthy hops that provide good balance for this beer and help keep all those malts in check. The finish is sweet with hardly any bitterness to be found at all.

M- Smooth, on the heavy side of medium bodied, and it had a pretty light amount of carbonation. I would have liked the body to be a lighter and some increased carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a good Oktoberfest. I liked the way that the biscuity malt base went with the noble hops, it was a nice change of pace from the usual malt and hop profile of the average Marzen. I did think it had a little too much sweetness but it never got cloying, knocking the sweetness down a notch would put this beer on the same level as Bell's and Samuel Adam's Oktoberfest's. What I liked most about this beer was how well the biscuity malt base of this beer went with the noble hops, it was good and different then most. What I liked least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it needed to be a little lighter with some more carbonation. This beer is pretty drinkable I wouldn't mind drinking two or three of these in a sitting but after that the sweetness may prove to be too much. I don't think I would seek this beer out but I defiantly wouldn't turn it down, I bet it would go good with some brats and sauerkraut. I would recommend giving this beer a try, you might really like the subtle differences that set this beer apart from other Marzens. This was one of the better beers I have had from Tri-City's, I didn't know what this brewery could do with this style but they proved to have a pretty nice take on it. This beer doesn't knock off Bell's and Samuel Adam's as my favorite Oktoberfest, but with a couple tweaks I think it could be on the same level. I am interested to see what other styles this brewery has a knack for.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Deep copper with a quickly dissipating fine white head. The lacing and retention aren't noteworthy.

S - Faint presence of hops, and just a generally fresh smelling aroma. Nothing really stands out.

T - Better than the aroma would lead you to believe. Predominantly a biscuit malt in the front with a balanced hop presence coming through in the finish. Again, there aren't many flavours to pull out of it but the simplicity works fairly well.

M/D - I'm not sure what the ABV of this is, as it isn't listed on the bottle, but the carbonation is quite light and the beer drinks well.

O - I'm not crazy about it. It's a nice and simple beer and fine for the style, but personally I wouldn't go back to it.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

3.69/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.94/5  rDev +7.1%

Clear copper with thin head and little lacing. Aroma is somewhat standard for the style. Flavor has a very balanced hop and malt bill. Hopping adds decent pine bitterness, so I'd assume it's more dryhopped than anything. The malt bill is very pleasant, although fairly simple with the biscuit malt. Medium full mouthfeel with moderate to light carbonation. Fairly dry and slightly sticky in the finish. Altogether it blends to a quite decent example of the style with a high focus on drinkability.

3.47/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Oktoberfest from Tri-City Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.