2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pannepot - De Struise Brouwers

PannepotPannepot

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

Old Fisherman's Ale is a dark ale brewed with spices. Pannepot is a term that describes the Fishing Boats from the village of De Panne. Brewed and bottled on the Deca Brewery in Woesten-Vleteren.

EBC:99, IBU:27, OG:1100, FG:1025, ABV:10%
Hops: Bramling Cross, Hallaertau MF

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-14-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,743 | Reviews: 763 | Show All Ratings:
4thoseabout2bock

Pours a much darker color than expected for a Belgian Ale.
Sweet smell.
Flavors of molasses, candy sugar and a little yeast and spice reminiscent of Belgian christmas ales. (some of my favorite beers). Affligem Noel or Delerium Noel on steroids. Yet still deceptively drinkable.

Shelton Bros lists this as a Gruit, and the label says spiced ale, but a Quad is a much better descriptor of the style.

Very strong and sweet, but also has some complexity with the spices.
If you have the chance to try this and you are a quad fan, don't pass it up!

Purchased at West Lakeview Liquors in Chicago on 5/18/07 for 4.99 for 330ml.
Haven't seen it at Sam's.

06-08-2007 23:12:06 | More by 4thoseabout2bock
jdhilt

New Hampshire

Pours a five-finger+ light tan pillowy head that fades slowly leaving a good lace. Black color. Sweet spicy nose. Light-medium carbonation and very heavy bodied. Flavor is sweet, spicy and complex; high ABV is hidden. Clean finish. I don't see anything wrong with it. $5.20 for a 330ml bottle from Tully's Beer & Wine Wells, Me.

06-20-2007 22:51:17 | More by jdhilt
mvcramer

Pours a spectacular chocolate brown with a thin cream-colored head. I got a very complex aroma of spices and some fruity sweetness. The taste made my mouth as pleased as my nose had been. A wonderful blend of flavors rolled across my palate, starting with delicious malty sweetness. I also got some raisin-like flavors that balanced out the malt, as well as a handful of other spicy flavors blended deliciously into the brew. I love the Belgian beers and this one is at the top of the list of beers I would order at every chance I get. Simply spectacular.

09-01-2007 03:15:49 | More by mvcramer
GratefulBeerGuy

New Hampshire

thanks to Oxymoron for this!!!
11.2 oz(2006) bottle> 12 oz Postel chalice glass.

This one basically exploded as I tried to pour it...I only got about half of the bottle in my glass due to the fact that it had warmed up to room temp overnight, so I s l o w l y poured out the rest in two tries.. The head is amazing, lively and fluffy...this thing has a life of it's own...a full three fingers at least is observed, but it's brilliant the head is tight, smooth and even but very fluffy. Ultra-sticky lacing is left after a slow dissipation. The color is a dense amber brown with no light getting through. Folks, this is what a Belgian Quad should look like!

The sweet malt scent is simply mouthwatering, big-ripe red fruits, tangy berries, smokey cedar wood, caramel, mild heat tingle, all spice, chocolate brownies, raspberries with vanilla on top, wild black berries, brown sugar and mild cinnemon. Yeah...it's that complex PLUS some.

The flavor is mind-blowing, I was stunned...I've had a few decent quads before, but this one stands out as my favorite. Th depth and complexity here is as good as I've ever had. The malt flavor's alone are "beyond the pale" with rich chocolate chunks, smokey toffee, pure amber candied sugar, and then there's the wonderful balance of herbal and earthy hops, not at all bitter, slightly leafy but very "fresh" tasting. The hop flavors flow out of the malt in a perfect way, delicate but impressive enough to really enjoy the two together, it's a total tream effort here. The 10 % abv is very well hidden, and only adds further depth with warming effect that makes you conpemplate every sip...I just didn't want this experience to end. This is 11.2 oz's of pure bliss, If I could have a lifetime supply of one brew, this just might be the one.

The feel in a word: Luxurious. full bodied, classicly clean and crisp with that heavy champgne-like feel that is both smooth and lively. you just wanna roll this liguid around in the mouth, make it hit every part of the palate....your brain will thank you.

This brew is simply the highest quality stuff I've ever had, I'm in love folks. I hope my girlfriend won't be too jelous, but I'm already getting funny looks as I finish this off. A rightous brew indeed.

02-07-2008 21:03:32 | More by GratefulBeerGuy
DmanGTR

This was recommended to me at Eulogy Belgian Tavern in Philly when I didn't know what to order. 2007 bottle poured into a Koningshoeven goblet.

A - poured dark burgundy brown with a 1" tan head in a goblet. Excellent head retention

S - fruity, dark currants, figs, yeast, and port. Hints of coriander, cinnamon, and sweet fruit juice. Spicy phenols take up the rear of the bouquet.

T - tastes like how it smells, rich and complex. Hints of roasted malts, chocolate, and dark fruit sweetness on top of all of the previously mentioned smells. Portlike in sweetness.

M - smooth, thick, and rich in body, highly carbonated.

D - highly drinkable for 10%

Overall - I was extremely impressed by this beer. In my opinion, it is nearly flawless. The 2007 brew is still a bit young. I think a couple of years in the cellar will bring this to perfection. An excellent Quad but a tad pricey... for $10.50/11oz bottle... I am determined to find this at a cheaper price! Do your tastebuds and your soul a favor and bathe them in Pannepot goodness!

11-09-2008 20:51:41 | More by DmanGTR
corby112

Pours a dark reddish amber/light brown color with a nice foamy brown head that settles into a lasting lace. Has a pleasant aromas of spices, malt and dark fruit. Has a beautiful balnace of malt and spice. Tastes of malt, cinnamin, and peppermint. Yummy!

12-02-2008 06:10:11 | More by corby112
SirSketch

The first perfect score I've ever given, and it absolutely deserves it! Definitely the best beer I've ever had.

'06 vintage

A -Brown leather color, slightly cloudy, and a beige, thinly laced head that leaves a decorative, sticky pattern of foam on the glass. Really a beauty of a beer.

S - Complex, slightly sour aroma made up of grape, candied sugars, a Merlot wine character and port wine alcohol presence, and peppery spice notes. The age adds a 'cellar' aroma that is amazing. Just one sniff of this beer lets you know it is world class!

T - Upon first sip I was delighted and confused at the same time. All sorts of delicious malt qualities come through on the palate that didn't come through at all in the nose, making it that much more complex. Earthy notes help make this beer a relaxing 'sipper.' Sweet and sour grape notes come later. A truly awesome sensory experience!

M/D - Unlike newer vintages I've had, this beer had a perfect amount of carbonation that helped to appreciate all the flavors. As soon as I finished, I wanted more... much more! And I took a trip to Cincinnati to do just that: get MORE!

Really??!! A perfect score? ... Absolutely!

09-04-2009 22:01:30 | More by SirSketch
eduardolinhalis

Switzerland

330ml bottle served in a chalice.

A: Pours a deep amber to brown color forming a small to medium beige head. Medium retention and it nevers disappears completely. A small bubbled layer remains. Only few lacings are left in the glass

S: Very fruity and liquorous. Sweet and spicy too. Strong notes of candy sugar, caramel malts, roasted malts, coriander, oak, grapes, brown bread and earthy yeasts

T: Very spicy and tasty beer. Sweet upfront. Strong notes of candy sugar, caramel and roasted malts, liquor, dark dried fruits, brown bread, coriander, chocolate and coffee. Belgian yeasts. Mild bitterness

M: Extremely creamy and molasses. Low carbonation. Sweet and malty aftertaste

O: Perfect drinkability. Perfect Quad

10-17-2009 16:46:29 | More by eduardolinhalis
choyhosoi

App-Pours a cola-brown ale with a nice white/brown head that looks so inviting. The head is thick and there looks to be little carbonation.

S-Getting scents of grape,raisins,plums, and just a sugary scent overall.

T-Wow!This has got to be one of the best I have ever had! There aren't words. I'm going to enjoy this. If you ever get more than one consider yourself lucky.

06-07-2010 01:58:45 | More by choyhosoi
redleaves

Maine

Wowie wow wow! Looks great, dark nice creamy head. Good lookin quad. The smell is great, rich caramel, butterscotch and vanilla. Not cloying but medium sweet. Nice mouthfeel, not thick at all like most quads, but not thin. Perfect. The taste is amazingly complex but not overwhelming. Roasty, caramel, butterscotch, coffee maybe, and spices. Raisins, and dark fruit. White chocolate and maybe light banana? Vanilla and oak. The light hop comes in just in time to prevent cloyness and dry out to make it refreshing. This beer is better than I could have imagined. Truly world class and elegant. I feel like I never have to try another quad because nothing can be this amazing. I feel like it's kind of stoutish as well. Worth every penny. They could charge $15 for this and I would pay it.

10-27-2011 01:57:00 | More by redleaves
LVituri

Brazil

Eu realmente achei essa cerveja perfeita.
Procurei, mas não achei defeitos.
Aparência linda.
Aroma sensacional.
Sabor encorpado, complexo e cheio de personalidade.
Sem palavras, ela é realmente surpreendente.
Mais uma lendária e poderosa cerveja belga.

01-16-2014 13:48:40 | More by LVituri
mentor

Colorado

4.97/5  rDev +14%

Bottle shared by crosling. Thanks for the opportunity. 2006 edition.

Wowzers! Holy Westy 8 Batman! This beer is absolutely stunning.

Light brown one finger head over a dark brown liquid. Smells chocolate. Springtime. Belgian candi-sugar. Pear and cinamon. Fig and other dark fruits. Incredibly complex and inviting.

Tastes chocolate, cherry, potent fruit and full of flavor. Incredible. This beer is wonderful. Raspberry, chocolate...toffee that is mostly chocolate. Chocolate chip. Cookie dough. Cinamon aftertaste. Drying finish cleans the mouth, leaving a hint of soured caramel aftertaste and dry chocolate as a memory.

Overall, light and dark fruits dancing on a complex malt placemat. Incredibly complex and amazingly well balanced. This beer passed into my belly way too quickly. Soon to be one of the most sought-after beers by traders on BA.

Mouthfeel is smooth and thick, yet the alcohol cleans things up. Amazingly well done. Carbonation is mild and a contributing factor to the whole experience. I feel so insufficient. This beer was way more than the words in my vocabulary can describe. If you see if, buy it.

03-09-2007 07:14:37 | More by mentor
gotbeer

4.97/5  rDev +14%

The appearance of this one is a deep dark brown, almost black with reddish highlights around the very edges where the light attempts to pass through.

The smell is slightly estery with molasses and honey.

The taste is incrediible. This one compares with the benchmarks of the style and then some. What a quad can and should be. Molasses, honey, and overly ripe fruit. The taste is intoxicating, and warming. It hides it's ABV well. Chocolate like malt backbone holds up well.

The mouthfeel is overly smooth, and satisfying. The drinkability is high despite the ABV.

This is a quad that came out of the blue like a sucker punch. Incredible. It is up there with St. Bernardus Abt. 12, and Rochefort, and maybe even better. Find this one, and enjoy it. I will go out on a limb, and say this may be the best beer in the world by it's review's some day.

08-04-2007 00:17:52 | More by gotbeer
KarlHungus

4.97/5  rDev +14%

This beer pours a dark, nearly opaque, brown color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes slowly into nice lacing. The aroma is of caramel, milk chocolate, anise, ginger, and other sharp spices. This is the best smelling Quadrupel I have had the pleasure of drinking. The taste is just as phenomenal as the aroma. It is full of dancin spices with a solid malty, caramely backbone, and a long tasteful finish. The mouthfeel is full bodied, dry, silky in texture, and has perfecty moderate carbonation. Overall, this is the best Quadrupel I have had up to this point. I will certainly search this one out again.

10-02-2007 20:46:59 | More by KarlHungus
brdc

Wisconsin

4.97/5  rDev +14%

2006, small bottle poured into a goblet.

I had the Dannish version yesterday, which is good, but not as much as I expected, so my expectations for this one were a bit lower.
What a surprise!.
Murky dark brown, amber highlights, topped by a dark tan fluffy, albeit small head. However, it clings to the sides, and keeps a nice collar all the way to the end.
The ever changing aroma starts with a bourbon like alcholic nose, changes into caramelized malts, evolves into multiple spices, then dark fruits, more sugary maltiness, more spices.
Full bodied, creamy and wonderful on the tongue, it opens warmingly bourbon-like, turning sweet and caramelized, quickly balanced by a peppery spiciness, evolving into multiple dark fruits, back into malty sweetness. Despite some warming feeling and hints of bourbon, the alcohol is actually quite well "disguised", and the drinkability is very high for such a powerful brew.
An amazing masterpiece!

12-22-2007 03:16:31 | More by brdc
GruvisHops

Indiana

Vintage 2006

A: 11.2 oz. (330 ml) brown bottle. My Chimay glass is just big enough to hold the dark brown body and it's 1/2" tan head. No light passes through as heavy particulate sits buoyantly suspended throughout.

S: Old ale is what comes to mind on the first whiff. Bittersweet chocolate comes through nicely behind a bed of dark fruits; cherries and raisins, in particular. The wonderful aroma is making me salivate. I can't hold back any longer.

T: WHOA! There's the spices the label mentioned; fresh ground pepper at first, followed by cinnamon and nutmeg... delicious! The spices take a back seat after the first couple of sips as the flavor begins to fall more in line with the aroma. I'm not picking up on raisins as much as I thought I would, but cherries and chocolate are definitely there. I haven't been blown away by the flavor of a beer like this in a while.

M: Quite full and creamy at every corner of the mouth. I'm not normally a fan of the mouthfeel of Belgian ales, but this is the best mouthfeel I've had from any beer style in recent memory.

D: It really gives Bud Light a run for its money!!! OK, maybe that's an inappropriate joke at the moment, but one of those God Damn commercials just came on with that douchebag drawing shit in thin air with his finger, and I felt it necessary to mock the piece of shit... TERRIBLE!!!!

05-29-2009 02:26:48 | More by GruvisHops
cosmicevan

4.97/5  rDev +14%

scored this one locally...poured into my la trappe chalice. 2010 vintage.

a - poured a deep plum, almost brown. perfect creaminess with the perfect belgian yeasty head. filled the chalice perfectly.

s - as soon as the liquid started to flow from the bottle, the smell filled the air. sweet dark fruit with a touch of booze. de struise really makes the best smelling quad.

t - much like the nose, the flavor is spot on. dark fruit creaminess with the perfect amount of booze.

m - mouth is immaculate. you don't get any more 'to style' than you do with a de struise quad. rich, thick, tasty, and perfect mouth.

o - overall, world class. for my money, you really can't top de struise in the quad dept.

08-04-2011 03:41:13 | More by cosmicevan
Samichlaus82

Germany

4.95/5  rDev +13.5%

Deep brown colour, a little auburn shine. Small head. Aroma is sweet and spicey, brown sugar, dark fruits, sweet malts. Taste is wow. Some sweet cherries in the beginning. Sweet liquorice. Finish is the least sweet, perhaps some bitterness. Quite heavy carbonation, no alcohol flavour. Sticky, but smooth mouthfeel. Heavy body. What a beer! So much flavour going on in there, although I think the liquorice is a bit to predominant.

10-24-2012 10:10:51 | More by Samichlaus82
themind

4.95/5  rDev +13.5%

An amazing World Class beer that lives up to the hype. This beer is thick and silky with an awesome roasted dark fruit and molasses aroma and taste. The carbonation is dull but works very well. I am not sure a crisp carbonation would work well with this beer. In the end this complex quad is as good as any I have ever had. A must try for any quad lover.

Bottom Line: Near Legendary!

07-04-2013 00:34:14 | More by themind
poopchalupa

4.93/5  rDev +13.1%

I have been waiting a while for a brew to sweep me off my feet again. Pannepot has done just that. I'm usually not a huge fan of Quads, but this particular brew went down with the quickness.

The pour looked great, there was a nice fluffy tan head against a chocolate colored bubbly brew. I instantly noticed the sweet fruit notes and a hint of cinnamon spiciness. The smell alone made my mouth water. I let it breathe for a minute before I took the first mouthful.

It was love at first sip. This is truely a complex brew. There are a plethora of flavors that all marry so well. It's sweet, it's also roasty and not a far cry from an espresso flavor, it's even nutty at times. The fact that this quad is 10% alcohol is very well hidden as it goes down so easily.

Do yourself a favor and hunt this one down. You won't be disappointed.

01-31-2007 15:58:30 | More by poopchalupa
jobyone

4.93/5  rDev +13.1%

This beer was a revelation. I have had lots of beers (over 1000 and counting) but this is probably the best I have had. It poured dark (almost black) with a thick tan head. The smell had wondeful spices that just warmed the nose. The taste again had the spices but also sweetness of fruit along with hints of rum. This was special. The one I had was a 2006.

10-16-2007 14:28:53 | More by jobyone
ASymon13

Colorado

4.93/5  rDev +13.1%

I had been looking forward to trying this beer for a while and finally got a 2006 bottle.

It pours a deep, dark brown with a resonable very lightly tan head to it. The head receded fairly fast and left no lacing. The aroma is very rich and full of dark fruits, mainly plum and cherry, as well as some esters along with some nice spiciness to it. Some sweet sugars are noticable and there are some light phenolic tones underneath. The fruitiness settles out after a few minutes and the sweet brown sugar comes out nicely. Oh yeah, and the alcohol is extremely well masked.

The first thing I said after my first sip was "wow!" this is a rich, complex and wonderful beer. It has a wonderful fruitiness to it, light esters and cherry being the basis, and the sugar and spiciness are in perfect balance. I haven't had such a pleasant sipper in a long time. All the flavors come through right from the start, and the sugars give way a bit and what's left is a fantastic spicy and fruity finish. The alcohol is completely masked (until you start finishing the bottle, then it is only felt). It has a medium body, and the carbonation is a bit underwhelming, but that hardly detracts at all. This is a wonderful beer, which has left me scanning potential trades, 'cause I want more!

08-09-2008 08:13:17 | More by ASymon13
FreshHawk

4.93/5  rDev +13.1%

A - Dark cola brown with a very deep and dark chestnut and ruby hue on the edge. Very large frothy, bubbly sandy almond beige color. Good retention that settles into a nice sticky, foamy layer of lace.

S - Initial aroma has a strong licorice aroma along with plenty of tart dark fruit consisting of plum, prune, fig, and raisin. Some grape aroma is also present. Strong spiced aroma comes out as well with nutmeg and cinnamon being two of the stronger ones. Also has a fairly strong oaky/wine like aroma in the background, and some dark candi sugar comes out too. Interesting and complex aroma with a large variety of aromas.

T - Similar to the nose. Starts off with some licorice, dark candi sugar/molasses. Then some dark fruit with a mix of plum, prune, and fig along with some grape and cherry. These start off somewhat sweet, and then becomes a bit more tart. Fair amount of spiced flavor comes out too. Hints of chocolate come out mid sip. Finishes with a bit more of the oaky/vinous type of taste, and some more sweetness. Like the nose, this is very complex.

M - Medium to full body (a bit closer to full body) with about average carbonation for the style. Pretty smooth and creamy and is a touch drying on the finish.

D - Very drinkable beer. ABV is well hidden and the flavors are very complex which makes me want to drink some more to pick up more flavors.

Notes: Vintage 2007. Very enjoyable and very complex tasting beer. So many different flavors come out while drinking this, and it has an ever changing taste. ABV is very well hidden as well. Definitely recommend trying this.

05-30-2010 00:38:57 | More by FreshHawk
OWSLEY069

4.93/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours a brown-ish color with a big light brown head. In the aroma, white grape, fruity, and a small roast. In the taste, fruity, rich malt, roasty, complex maltiness, and small hint of alcohol in the end. A smooth and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry and fruity aftertaste. Quite complex, rich and flavorful, and hides the alcohol.

10-06-2010 15:15:50 | More by OWSLEY069
LiquidAmber

Washington

4.93/5  rDev +13.1%

2010 bottle, poured into an Ommegang flute. Pours a very dark red brown with ruby tints at the edges. Thin, fine light tan head with great retention. Intense aroma of dark and light fruit and fruit esters, sweet malt; slight mineral component. Nicely integrated dark fruit, sweet and caramel malt, cherry juice. Flavors a beautifully melded. Nice dark fruit finish with a hint of hops and a slight alcohol bite. Great carbonation and a creamy heavy body. An excellent quad. Almost too tempting, I just wanted to keep tasting it but had to pace myself because of the ABV.

02-04-2012 04:30:28 | More by LiquidAmber