1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Pannepot - De Struise Brouwers

PannepotPannepot

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

Old Fisherman's Ale is a dark ale brewed with spices. Pannepot is a term that describes the Fishing Boats from the village of De Panne. Brewed and bottled on the Deca Brewery in Woesten-Vleteren.

EBC:99, IBU:27, OG:1100, FG:1025, ABV:10%
Hops: Bramling Cross, Hallaertau MF

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-14-2006)

iamdariusstone, Jan 31, 2014
1.25/5  rDev -71.3%

shagal, Apr 17, 2012
1.55/5  rDev -64.4%

Ridiculously overcarbonated - huge head even with the most careful pouring. Still, average in that there are so many examples of the style that are like this. The head is gone so quickly it isn't even funny. Pretty opaque but not entirely so. Light bleeds through around the edges revealing cloudy amber tinges. It's crazy, but just swirling it around in my snifter brings up so much more head. It's just not right.

Smells medicinal - huge amounts of alcohol, sage, bandaids.

Thankfully it doesn't taste like that but it sure isn't good. Oh. Wait. Yes. The aftertaste is exactly that. At first it's a strange assault of bitterness (back right of the tongue) but then, after you swallow, you get the sage and bandaids. Gross.

Mouthfeel seems about. Of course, that's only because it's ridiculously overcarbonated. If it weren't it would surely be a syrupy mess.

charlesw, Apr 30, 2009

DrunkAl, Jun 11, 2014

StoutFest, Dec 07, 2011
2.08/5  rDev -52.2%

After reading all the rave reviews on this beer at various places on the internet, I was really pleased when I saw some on an internet shop. I duly ordered 5 bottles along with some Rochefort 10's , Chimay blue's, and Gouden Carolus Blue. I decided to try a Pannepot first, since I had never had one before. It poured with a dark syrupy richness, and reminded me of the glorious Rochefort 10 in appearance. I was really looking forward to tasting it,especially since it was a two year old (2007) vintage, but found the experience completely dissapointing. There was nothing enjoyable about it to me, with just a sweet taste followed by a disgusting bitter aftertaste ( I suppose this is the 'Thyme' some people have detected in the brew). It is meant to be a fishermans ale, but if I was a fisherman, and this was the only beer in the tavern, I would probably stay out at sea all year and drink rainwater. Seriously, though, the other beers I ordered are far better in my opinion.

adrianwallbridge, Oct 09, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -42.5%

Stoutsman, Jan 14, 2012
2.65/5  rDev -39.1%

mattfancett, Sep 01, 2014
2.7/5  rDev -37.9%

2007 Vintage

Pours a dark cola-colored brown body with a moderate cream-colored head. Very typical quad look.

The aroma is wonderful - smells almost like a lambic or flanders red to me. Great bouquet of cherries with some yeastiness and a background of caramel sweetness. The taste, however, doesn't live up to the aroma. Taste is primarily of raisins, dark-ish chocolate, and dark fruits. Some caramel and toffee in there too. Beyond all that, there's a bitter aftertaste that is absolutely brutal, especially considering the style. Sort of a roasty bitter aftertaste, almost like you would expect from an imperial stout (think Great Divide Yeti). Does not belong in a quad, and wrecks the experience.

The mouthfeel felt a bit on the light side with pretty generous carbonation. Again, not impressed. But to be fair, I think my impression is tainted after the disappointing taste. When I take a step back and think about it, it's fairly par for the course with most Belgians - but maybe not quite as good as some of its elite brethren.

All in all, a big disappointment. I may sit on a bottle for a couple years and give it a try again, just to be fair. The aftertaste will probably still be lingering across my tongue even then... Ugh.

Mavajo, Aug 22, 2010
2.8/5  rDev -35.6%

I wanted to like this beer. But...

WAY too syrupy and sweet. Followed by a sour cherry aftertaste.
My bottle is a "2007" so it should have mellowed out into something wonderful. Too bad.

Poured dark dark brown- almost stout-like- and with a brown head that foamed and kept on foaming. People talk about "fingers" of head, this was a hand of head.

The smell was intriguing. Yeasty, sweet, fruity (cherry), and alcohol.
The taste was overpowering. Perhaps it would be better to classify this beer as a lambic, which it reminds me of; totally.

Sad to say but I could not even finish my glass of it.

MAB, Dec 29, 2008
2.83/5  rDev -34.9%

'07
Pours an ugly brown, thin yet large frothy head recedes into a cap. Not much lacing.

The "Pannepot" variations have never impressed me in the fragrance dept. I knew this coming in though, smells of alcohol and not much else.

Alcohol and a touch of spice. Some oak.

Average mouthfeel, nothing to say really.

Quite boring. I love DeStruise but either there is a lot of bottle variation with these, or this has aged to long and the flavors have died. The beer isn't bad by any means, its a drainpour though just because it's so bland.

ptykozoon, Jun 13, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -32.2%

O.K., so I ordered this hoping to get the Pannepøt. This is the spiced version... Damn it...my mistake.
Dark Amber color.. Almost a purpleish looking head.
Aroma was spicy and fruity. Could easily detect the strong Clove.
Bottom line.. I really didn't enjoy the spices at all. Just too much clove for my tastes... The spices really where over powering and too up front... I was able to have the Pannepøt (Monk's brew) later and really enjoyed it.... The spices take away from the complexity for me. I respect this beer, it's just not for me.

Big thick mouth feel. Not to drinkable for me... Fear not I'll leave this for you and drink the Pannepøt.

Reagan1984, Jan 17, 2009

Fettpopps, Mar 16, 2014

gjoker321, Feb 10, 2014

ldhughes3, Jan 23, 2013
3.13/5  rDev -28%

A - Very dark brown (nearly black) thick body- almost opaque; thick yet moderate light brown head. I would say this has the appearance of an over-carbonated Russian Imperial Stout.

S - Strangely enough, this smells like a Russian Imperial Stout as well; perhaps a tiny bit more sugary, though. I pick up no hints of fruitiness that I would expect for a quadrupel- only toffee, molasses, and a faint hint of dark candies.

T - Well, it tastes like a Russian Imperial Stout as well. There is a hint of candy sweetness up front that is quickly dominated by massive bitterness and then closed with quite a bit of booziness.

M - Ah, now it seems as though it could be a quadrupel- it's much less dense than a stout and has a decent amount of carbonation. If it weren't for the taste and aroma, I could buy that I was drinking a quad.

O - I was thoroughly unimpressed with this beer. It's not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but quite honestly, if I wanted a Russian Imperial Stout, there are much better options that are far more reasonably priced. My local distributor had this priced significantly higher than Rochefort 10 (which is what I consider to be the archetype for quads). If you are searching for a decent quad, I would recommend steering clear of this. If you're open to trying a high-priced Russian Imperial Stout, this may suit your fancy.

mikedotnet, Oct 30, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -27.6%

2009

Pours a dark slightly muddy brown with a moderate light brown head of small bubbles that lasts quite a while.

Smells chocolaty, like creamy chocolate mousse made with dark chocolate, some metallic hints that I dont really appreciatte as well... Behind the chocoalte there are loads of pickled plums, dried figs and sweet caramel with carramellized red berries, intrigiung. A little note of alcohol as well.

Taste is chocolaty, with a very interesting malt base, with a buttery caramel with a peppery sting to it, hard to explain, but it's quite pleasant. But it suddenly ends with a chemical astringency that really ruins it all for me, very dissapointing to say the least.

Mouthfeel is great for the style, semi-heavy body with a cozy carbonation that does its job great.

dqrull, Dec 02, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -25.7%

2007 vintage LOT:C,7,BB, 11.2 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours a pitch black with lighter brown fluffy head. Has a malty spice smell. Maybe some vanilla and/or coconut too? Very boozey deep malty taste. Malts are sweet with flavors of dark fruits and spice. I taste something that reminds me of coconut and vanilla. Mouthfeel is fairly light with lots of carbonation (in my opinion, too much carbonation for a quadruple). Not so sure I could drink more than one or two of these.

A little disapointed with this beer. I was expecting something better...

BeerStine, Feb 07, 2009