1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pannepot - De Struise Brouwers

PannepotPannepot

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

Old Fisherman's Ale is a dark ale brewed with spices. Pannepot is a term that describes the Fishing Boats from the village of De Panne. Brewed and bottled on the Deca Brewery in Woesten-Vleteren.

EBC:99, IBU:27, OG:1100, FG:1025, ABV:10%
Hops: Bramling Cross, Hallaertau MF

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-14-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,731 | Reviews: 763 | Show All Ratings:
charlesw

1.55/5  rDev -64.4%

Ridiculously overcarbonated - huge head even with the most careful pouring. Still, average in that there are so many examples of the style that are like this. The head is gone so quickly it isn't even funny. Pretty opaque but not entirely so. Light bleeds through around the edges revealing cloudy amber tinges. It's crazy, but just swirling it around in my snifter brings up so much more head. It's just not right.

Smells medicinal - huge amounts of alcohol, sage, bandaids.

Thankfully it doesn't taste like that but it sure isn't good. Oh. Wait. Yes. The aftertaste is exactly that. At first it's a strange assault of bitterness (back right of the tongue) but then, after you swallow, you get the sage and bandaids. Gross.

Mouthfeel seems about. Of course, that's only because it's ridiculously overcarbonated. If it weren't it would surely be a syrupy mess.

04-30-2009 22:57:46 | More by charlesw
adrianwallbridge

United Kingdom (England)

2.08/5  rDev -52.3%

After reading all the rave reviews on this beer at various places on the internet, I was really pleased when I saw some on an internet shop. I duly ordered 5 bottles along with some Rochefort 10's , Chimay blue's, and Gouden Carolus Blue. I decided to try a Pannepot first, since I had never had one before. It poured with a dark syrupy richness, and reminded me of the glorious Rochefort 10 in appearance. I was really looking forward to tasting it,especially since it was a two year old (2007) vintage, but found the experience completely dissapointing. There was nothing enjoyable about it to me, with just a sweet taste followed by a disgusting bitter aftertaste ( I suppose this is the 'Thyme' some people have detected in the brew). It is meant to be a fishermans ale, but if I was a fisherman, and this was the only beer in the tavern, I would probably stay out at sea all year and drink rainwater. Seriously, though, the other beers I ordered are far better in my opinion.

10-09-2009 08:53:20 | More by adrianwallbridge
Mavajo

Georgia

2.7/5  rDev -38.1%

2007 Vintage

Pours a dark cola-colored brown body with a moderate cream-colored head. Very typical quad look.

The aroma is wonderful - smells almost like a lambic or flanders red to me. Great bouquet of cherries with some yeastiness and a background of caramel sweetness. The taste, however, doesn't live up to the aroma. Taste is primarily of raisins, dark-ish chocolate, and dark fruits. Some caramel and toffee in there too. Beyond all that, there's a bitter aftertaste that is absolutely brutal, especially considering the style. Sort of a roasty bitter aftertaste, almost like you would expect from an imperial stout (think Great Divide Yeti). Does not belong in a quad, and wrecks the experience.

The mouthfeel felt a bit on the light side with pretty generous carbonation. Again, not impressed. But to be fair, I think my impression is tainted after the disappointing taste. When I take a step back and think about it, it's fairly par for the course with most Belgians - but maybe not quite as good as some of its elite brethren.

All in all, a big disappointment. I may sit on a bottle for a couple years and give it a try again, just to be fair. The aftertaste will probably still be lingering across my tongue even then... Ugh.

08-22-2010 22:19:56 | More by Mavajo
MAB

Alberta (Canada)

2.8/5  rDev -35.8%

I wanted to like this beer. But...

WAY too syrupy and sweet. Followed by a sour cherry aftertaste.
My bottle is a "2007" so it should have mellowed out into something wonderful. Too bad.

Poured dark dark brown- almost stout-like- and with a brown head that foamed and kept on foaming. People talk about "fingers" of head, this was a hand of head.

The smell was intriguing. Yeasty, sweet, fruity (cherry), and alcohol.
The taste was overpowering. Perhaps it would be better to classify this beer as a lambic, which it reminds me of; totally.

Sad to say but I could not even finish my glass of it.

12-29-2008 01:54:06 | More by MAB
ptykozoon

2.83/5  rDev -35.1%

'07
Pours an ugly brown, thin yet large frothy head recedes into a cap. Not much lacing.

The "Pannepot" variations have never impressed me in the fragrance dept. I knew this coming in though, smells of alcohol and not much else.

Alcohol and a touch of spice. Some oak.

Average mouthfeel, nothing to say really.

Quite boring. I love DeStruise but either there is a lot of bottle variation with these, or this has aged to long and the flavors have died. The beer isn't bad by any means, its a drainpour though just because it's so bland.

06-13-2011 02:17:41 | More by ptykozoon
Reagan1984

2.95/5  rDev -32.3%

O.K., so I ordered this hoping to get the Pannepøt. This is the spiced version... Damn it...my mistake.
Dark Amber color.. Almost a purpleish looking head.
Aroma was spicy and fruity. Could easily detect the strong Clove.
Bottom line.. I really didn't enjoy the spices at all. Just too much clove for my tastes... The spices really where over powering and too up front... I was able to have the Pannepøt (Monk's brew) later and really enjoyed it.... The spices take away from the complexity for me. I respect this beer, it's just not for me.

Big thick mouth feel. Not to drinkable for me... Fear not I'll leave this for you and drink the Pannepøt.

01-17-2009 01:16:47 | More by Reagan1984
mikedotnet

3.13/5  rDev -28.2%

A - Very dark brown (nearly black) thick body- almost opaque; thick yet moderate light brown head. I would say this has the appearance of an over-carbonated Russian Imperial Stout.

S - Strangely enough, this smells like a Russian Imperial Stout as well; perhaps a tiny bit more sugary, though. I pick up no hints of fruitiness that I would expect for a quadrupel- only toffee, molasses, and a faint hint of dark candies.

T - Well, it tastes like a Russian Imperial Stout as well. There is a hint of candy sweetness up front that is quickly dominated by massive bitterness and then closed with quite a bit of booziness.

M - Ah, now it seems as though it could be a quadrupel- it's much less dense than a stout and has a decent amount of carbonation. If it weren't for the taste and aroma, I could buy that I was drinking a quad.

O - I was thoroughly unimpressed with this beer. It's not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but quite honestly, if I wanted a Russian Imperial Stout, there are much better options that are far more reasonably priced. My local distributor had this priced significantly higher than Rochefort 10 (which is what I consider to be the archetype for quads). If you are searching for a decent quad, I would recommend steering clear of this. If you're open to trying a high-priced Russian Imperial Stout, this may suit your fancy.

10-30-2011 19:26:41 | More by mikedotnet
dqrull

Sweden

3.15/5  rDev -27.8%

2009

Pours a dark slightly muddy brown with a moderate light brown head of small bubbles that lasts quite a while.

Smells chocolaty, like creamy chocolate mousse made with dark chocolate, some metallic hints that I dont really appreciatte as well... Behind the chocoalte there are loads of pickled plums, dried figs and sweet caramel with carramellized red berries, intrigiung. A little note of alcohol as well.

Taste is chocolaty, with a very interesting malt base, with a buttery caramel with a peppery sting to it, hard to explain, but it's quite pleasant. But it suddenly ends with a chemical astringency that really ruins it all for me, very dissapointing to say the least.

Mouthfeel is great for the style, semi-heavy body with a cozy carbonation that does its job great.

12-02-2010 20:34:47 | More by dqrull
BeerStine

3.23/5  rDev -25.9%

2007 vintage LOT:C,7,BB, 11.2 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours a pitch black with lighter brown fluffy head. Has a malty spice smell. Maybe some vanilla and/or coconut too? Very boozey deep malty taste. Malts are sweet with flavors of dark fruits and spice. I taste something that reminds me of coconut and vanilla. Mouthfeel is fairly light with lots of carbonation (in my opinion, too much carbonation for a quadruple). Not so sure I could drink more than one or two of these.

A little disapointed with this beer. I was expecting something better...

02-07-2009 04:52:01 | More by BeerStine
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

3.28/5  rDev -24.8%

This beer was reddish brown and hazy, with a one finger head. Not as dark as I would have expected from a quad.

Aroma was very mild - medium malts, caramel, and toffee. It did not leap out at me.

Aroma was of strong medium-bodied malts, slightly musty and earthy, with a brief burst of alcohol. The aftertaste was long, slightly sweet malt. Not too bad, but compared to St. Bernardus, not up in the same league.

Mouthfeel was all right, a fair amount of chewiness and viscosity to go with the character.

Drinkability is OK, but I didn't want any more when I had finished it. There are several I would prefer, and in fact I was surprised when I saw this one in the top 100.

12-27-2007 20:18:08 | More by connecticutpoet
beermanbrian

3.33/5  rDev -23.6%

Cola colored beer with almost no head. Tons of carb gives it some life. Malty full aroma, caramel and tons of sugar. Taste is malty up front and finishes with a bourbon alcohol bite. Overactive carbonation level detracts from the mouth. Overall a somewhat disappointing beer.

09-01-2010 01:23:48 | More by beermanbrian
Jesse13713

3.33/5  rDev -23.6%

A huge thanks to AwYeh for this beer! 2009 Series.

Appearance - Very impressive lacing. Pours a very dark blackish purple. Slight bubbly on the top.

Smell - Hints of light fruits. Slightly alcoholic smell with hints of plums and darker fruits.

Taste - A very plum tasting beer. Hints of chocoloate and dark fruits. Reminds me of something from Jackie O's Dark Apparition event. Dark malts.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - Quite heavily bodied. Definitely a sipper. Reminds me of a Wee Heavy as opposed to a Quad. Delicious dark fruits.

02-26-2011 04:48:20 | More by Jesse13713
squaremile

Oregon

3.38/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

I don't really understand the big deal about this beer beyond the drinkability. Pours a mahogany brown with a small head. The smell is sweet with notes of molasses, raisins, and brown sugar. The flavor is more of the same, but I end up feeling like this is sort of like St. Bernardus Abt 12 Light. The thin/watery mouthfeel just doesn't do it for me. No alcohol present at all, which is remarkable for 10%. It's a fine beer overall, but for the style is isn't in the upper class.

08-21-2009 06:15:10 | More by squaremile
PEBKAC

"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

A dose of Pannepot provided by kmpitz2 pours into my Ommegang chalice. The oatmeal head rises & rises. It covers the top two inches of the glass & sticks. It continues upward & caps off nearly another inch. Amazingly, it doesn't cascade over the sides, or even budge for several minutes. Oily & brown, I take one last breath & dive into the deep end.

Prunes & plumbs, coma inducing raisins & tart apricots, chocolate & alcohol, brown sugar &... oregano? o_0 Heavy & intense, the fumes are almost too much. I beg for just a touch of bitterness in the upcoming onslaught.

Note: I usually don't dive this far into Belgians because of the absurd amount of sugar that resides in every sip, & this one certainly doesn't underrepresent.

Cherries macerated in brandy, licking my fingers after flipping through the New York Times(more pungent ink then regular newspapers), notes of red wine tannins, & more sugar then even concentrated grape juice could aspire to. A syrupy char quiets the finish(& leads the way for a somewhat rindy bitterness), but only serves to reel in the eventual headache. Once that happens, the alcohol(& the accompanying medicinal sting), start to permeate my brain.

Thick, thick like a half melted milkshake. Even at a third of a liter, sitting down isn't enough. If I wasn't already in my chair, I would of layed out on the carpet. A half decent amount of carbonation, but just not enough to regulate everything.

One wee little bottle more then satisfied my hunger for any sustenance for the evening. Thank you kmpitz2 for shaking up my quiet little world. :)

E-5-BB

03-21-2008 00:26:23 | More by PEBKAC
bowersdm

11.2oz bottle poured into my Westmalle chalice. 2007 bottling

A - imagine pouring a bottle of pepsi (or if you have bad taste, coke) into a glass. Imagine the sights and the sounds. That's what this beer is like. The color is dark brown bordering on black. I would say it's literally the color of the empty bottle. A head formed and I could heard it fizzing and it dissipated just like the "head" on a cup of pop. No head was left after about 4 seconds.

S - spices, fruit (maybe cherries and raisins), not much else.

T - caramel, fruit (cherries, raisins, apples?) and LOTS of spice: cinnamon definitely. The finish was slightly hoppy, but the beer was still really balanced. the alcohol was not noticeable.

M - it had the carbonation of a bottle of pop, so it was very...tingly, to say the least.

D - I'd definitely drink this again, but I don't see what all the fuss is over. I really wouldn't pay $7 for it, but if it was free I wouldn't turn it down.

02-17-2009 06:35:07 | More by bowersdm
laituegonflable

Australia

3.43/5  rDev -21.3%

Pours a very dark brown, almost black in fact. Ochre head, nice density but settles out to a thin film. Sticky lace. Looks nice.

Smells strong. Ethanoic, with sticky fig, sour cherry, vanilla, carob and Benedictine. Bit oversweet, and strong.

Tastes very Belgian. Slight sourness, with spicy phenols. Earthy spice, with a bitter earthy taste. Woody and smokey as well, with a medicine character on the back. Nectarine as well. there's definitely a lot of craftsmanship here, but I'm not getting anything amazing or even particularly complex from it.

Mouthfeel is very heavy and quite boozey, but reasonably silky. Not bad.

A good beer, but I'm really surprised to see the overwhelming love for it here. It's possible the bottle may have been old, but I simply didn't really connect with this. Either way I don't think my disappointment will be anything but a slight statistical blip in the lovefest here, so don't mind me, I'm just passing through.

02-14-2013 02:06:33 | More by laituegonflable
DoctorDog

2007 Vintage.

Presentation: 11.2 oz bottle into a goblet.

A- Dark cola brown and opaque with slight reddish highlights. Pours with massive tan head, which necessitates pouring in stages. Head slowly fades to ~1/2 finger cap. Head retention is incredible, and lasts the duration of consumption. Lots of sticky lacing.

S- Starts off with a powerfully funky yeastiness, some anise notes, and a slight metallic hint. As the drink warms, a slightly vinegar twang emerges and the metallic notes recede.

T- My initial sip is incredibly funky, powerful, and off-putting. I have evidently not been patient enough, and set the glass aside to warm for awhile longer. As the beer warms (considerably), I am relieved to experience huge improvements in flavor. The yeasty "funkiness" abates to "appropriate" levels, and a malty fruitiness emerges, with some slightly chocolate-esque sweetness on the front. Bitterness is minimal, and 10% ABV is well concealed.
*This beer REALLY must warm up beyond the recommended serving temp (50-55) and up to near room temperature (60-65) to flourish IMO.

M- Fairly heavily carbonated, and very creamy/smooth.

D- Tough for me to pin down on this one. Pretty much a one-bottle-sipper in my book. High ABV is well concealed. Decent.

Future outlook: This beer was a wild ride, an exercise in patience, and a tough beer for me to evaluate and score. Interesting and complex. Not really in line with my favorite types of beer or something that I'd want to drink regularly, but definitely something I could see trying for a change of pace every now and then.

01-04-2009 05:20:38 | More by DoctorDog
craytonic

District of Columbia

3.5/5  rDev -19.7%

Appearance - Ruby/mahogany raisin, decent head, no lacing.

Aroma - prunes, figs, orange peel, light spice (nutmeg, cinnamon)

Taste - figs, prunes, licorice, toffee, maple fudge, malt balls, licorice, molasses, orange peel, clove, cinnamon, chocolate covered cherries. All are a bit muted though. Definitely a bit to sweet for me

Mouthfeel - Very thick; a bit too sweet and somewhat boozy

Drinkability - Good quad, but thankful for the smaller bottle

11-19-2009 03:56:56 | More by craytonic
osusullins

3.5/5  rDev -19.7%

This beer is very sweet and boozy.

The nose is dominated by dark fruits with a subtle hint of spice and some chocolate. The sweetness in the beer is very much presant in the aroma.

The taste reminds me of a barleywine because of the sweetness and boozy taste, but I pull almost a maple syrup flavor as well. Not far off from the texture of maple syrup also. Very full bodied. Sits heavy on the tongue. Too sweet for my blood.

10-30-2011 05:24:54 | More by osusullins
coreyfmcdonald

Georgia

3.51/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

11.2oz bottle into a snifter, 2011 vintage

A: Pours a very dark amber/brown, almost black with a finger of light tan head which recedes fairly quickly to a thin film. Poor lacing.

S: Caramel, roast, and eatery spices. Like a mix of a Belgian Quad and a Russian Imperial Stout. I certainly get some plum, orange zest, and spicy yeast, but the beer also has a fairly significant roast quality with a bit of milk and dark chocolate.

T: More of the same. Plum and prunes are most evident, but a dark chocolate flavor and a bit of roast comes out as well. The beer is balanced by a nice spiciness - orange zest, yeasty esters, and a bit of peppercorn. The finish is a bit flat.

M: Medium thickness with low, creamy carbonation.

O: Odd for a Quad. There is a distinct chocolate flavor in here that is unlike other beers I've had in the style. It blends well, but it's odd. The flavor is a bit flat, too and the beer could use a bit more carbonation.

02-06-2013 23:02:26 | More by coreyfmcdonald
pants678

3.51/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Sediment floats in dark, dark brown that's not quite opaque. A light tan head foam rests on top. Murky, for the style.

Pine, earthy notes. Barely noticeable.

Tastes somewhere between oak and maple, not really a combination of the two. A stain of coffee and caramel leaves something to be desired, however, there is a warm brown sugar/molasses character. I imagined something more aggressive yet this is rather kindly and mild. Something may have been lost in transit.

The body's surprisingly light for what looks like a stout. Generally refreshing.

06-08-2013 23:48:16 | More by pants678
Beaver13

Colorado

3.53/5  rDev -19%

11.2 oz bottle, dated 2006. Pours a dark brown with a huge fizzy light tan head that retains well and laces the glass. This is darker and has more carbonation than the Danish version.

The aroma is very subdued. Light chocolate malts and a little dark fruit, leather and alcohol.

The flavor is smooth rich chocolate malts and some dark fruit with some alcohol and enough bitterness to balance it and give it a dry finish. Some spices come out as it warms. The mouthfeel is medium with sparkly carbonation.

Overall, a nice dessert beer. I think I prefer the Danish version slightly - it's a little more complex. I do like the decadent flavors of this version a little more though even though they are not as complex. The aroma in this one was not very present compared to the Danish. And this one is thinner. While both are dessert type beers, they are quite a bit different.

11-24-2007 06:17:20 | More by Beaver13
markaberrant

Saskatchewan (Canada)

3.53/5  rDev -19%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2007 bottle

A - started gushing when I cracked the bottle, but I moved very quickly to grab my goblet and didn't lose a drop, very dark, opaque, suspended yeast, insane creamy head (I don't think a strong wind could blow it over), incredible rentention, decent lacing

S - tons of plum (could smell it while pouring), sweet grapes, overall balance is fruity as opposed to spicy, smells pretty good, but not incredible

T - more of that plum up front (I wouldn't call it raisin or fig, a little lighter), spices add complexity, but none of them are strong enough to stand out for me, aftertaste is smooth dark chocolate, alcohol and spice

M - very full in the mouth, but carbonation keeps things "airy" if you will, alcohol is quite prominent, very warm, though smooth

D - Not the revelation I was expecting

This is just ok. The spices make it somewhat unique, but I can't say they make the beer better. This just doesn't measure up to a Rochefort 10, the Gouden Carolus quads, or St Bernardus 12. I tried this a few months ago at a tasting, and was also underwhelmed, but I thought it maybe just didn't stand out in a crowd, but even on it's own, I fail to see what is so great about it.

06-18-2009 00:06:11 | More by markaberrant
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

3.58/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured from a bottle into my duvel tulip.

A: Muddy brown golden hue. Solid two fingers of dark tan head. Soapy lace rings, nice cap remains.

S: Tons of sweet dark fruit and spices. Rich caramel malt, toffee, wet leather. Moderate heat from the booze can be picked up.

T: Dry bitter malt is the first thing that comes to mind. Mild spice and dark fruit are present. Not what I was wxpecting from a quad.

M: medium to full creamy body. Low carbonation.

D: Overall the flavors were a bit of a let down for me. The strange bitter profile lowered drinkability for me for sure.

10-17-2010 01:06:58 | More by beerwolf77
Sean9689

3.58/5  rDev -17.9%

Bottle, 2010 vintage, into Bruery tulip. About time I tick this.

A - Pours black mocha-colored head, thin ring, thin film on top.

S - Struise yeasty malty sweetness, dark fruits, plums, raisins, candies. The booze is well-hidden the by the big sugary sweetness...not sure if that's good or bad. Pretty sweet.

T - Candy, spices, sweet dark fruit, slight boozy kick. More plums, raisins, figs, etc. Again, pretty darn sweet but I do get more booze on the palate when compared to the nose, so at least there's a little more going on here. Finish is an oaky fruity sweetness.

M - Full, smooth, good carbonation, dry oak finish.

O - A little too sweet and slightly boozy right now. I think the 2010 vintage needs some more time to smooth out and loose some of the overpowering sugary sweetness. I picked out some spices, but I think it's too sweet to really appreciate them at this time. It's a nice Quad, but no where near world-class for me.

02-16-2012 03:32:56 | More by Sean9689