Pannepot - De Struise Brouwers

PannepotPannepot

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-14-2006

Old Fisherman's Ale is a dark ale brewed with spices. Pannepot is a term that describes the Fishing Boats from the village of De Panne. Brewed and bottled on the Deca Brewery in Woesten-Vleteren.

EBC:99, IBU:27, OG:1100, FG:1025, ABV:10%
Hops: Bramling Cross, Hallaertau MF
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,141 | Reviews: 799

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for this bottle

Review adapted from notes taken 12/31/11 (final new beer of 2011!)

Note: 2011 bottle

Appearance: A rich brown, very cloudy - nice tan head that leaves sticky lacing

Smell: At first, smells like hard candy - becomes increasingly complex as it warms - dark, sweet bread - a rich, dark fruitiness - raisins, figs, prunes? - spices, alcohol - cooked malts, some Belgian yeast, complex yet balanced

Taste: So many flavors - rich, dark, spiced bread - molasses, candi sugar, brown sugar - alcohol, spices - Belgian yeast, a little tart - tons of dark fruit - dry raisins, figs, prunes, etc. - sweet, yet also dry - balanced, and stupidly complex

Mouthfeel: Heavy, very smooth, nicely carbonated, creamy

Overall: Great, great stuff

This is everything I want in a quad. It's very complex, very heavy, and genuinely interesting. I have two more bottles of this that I will be aging to see what happens over time.

4.36/5  rDev +0.5%

Today I found some Struise's at Caigny in Essen (Belgium). Pannepot 2010 costed € 1,58 (0,33 liter). That is something different than some Americans tell about on this site. ($ 7,99 for 0,75 liter?)

These black beers will never become my favorites. Nevertheless I can see why this beer is highly rated.

L: black, perfect caramel coloured top. In the original Struise glass it looks really great.
S: coffee, hop, roasted malt, caramel, apricot;
T: round start with spices, sugarfree liquorice, tart banana, apricot, coffee;
M: lovely, strong bitterness at the end, perfect alcohol;
O: if I would love this taste it could be 4,7. Great brew.

Impressive. I would like to love it, but I don't...

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

2010 vintage bought in Bruges.

A- Pours almost black, dark red highlights. Produces a thin khaki head that fizzles quickly to just a few wispy patches.

S- Very fruity, lots of dates and figs with a big dose of brown sugar and booze.

T- Also very fruity up front, delicious mixture of dark fruits stands out against a more subtle roasted malt backbone that provides a lot of caramel and a hint of chocolate. Very boozy and warming with some oak and phenol spices. Hop bitterness is subdued but is apparent mostly in the finish.

M- Medium bodied, carbonation is on the low side. Semi-dry finish with prickly alcohol.

O- A hugely complex, tasty beer. I was surprised at how light and drinkable it is for a beer that packs so much flavor and alcohol, I really wish I could find this more easily where I live, because it's a really excellent beer.

4.36/5  rDev +0.5%

This is a 2009 edition of the Pannepot.

A - A beautiful pour into a tulip glass. This beer has an inch of medium tan, thick, frothy head that has great stamina. The body of the brew is a deep mahogany brown that lets no light pass.

S - Fig, brown sugar and alcohol make for an inviting aroma. The alcohol aroma is the strongest of the three.

T - Rich and full medium roasted malts lending to a sweet and edgy bitterness. The bitterness is not hop induced but rather a product I believe of the relatively high ABV. I imagine this edginess would subside if I were to age the beer. The other quadruple type flavors that come out are raisin and dark sugar.

M - The feel is somewhat aggressive in that the texture really brings the flavors out immediately. I like the feel and I think it bodes well with the other characteristics of the beer. This too I think would mellow if I were to cellar it for an extended period of time.

~ This is a fine, high quality beer. Of one I wish I had obtained more than a single bottle. This is a beer that I will seek out again. I plan to return to The Bottle Stop here in Stevens Point in hopes that another bottle or two are available. This beer will likely offer an extended shelf life and I want to test the boundaries a bit.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Pannepot from De Struise Brouwers