Pannepot - De Struise Brouwers

PannepotPannepot

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

Old Fisherman's Ale is a dark ale brewed with spices. Pannepot is a term that describes the Fishing Boats from the village of De Panne. Brewed and bottled on the Deca Brewery in Woesten-Vleteren.

EBC:99, IBU:27, OG:1100, FG:1025, ABV:10%
Hops: Bramling Cross, Hallaertau MF

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-14-2006)
4.28/5  rDev -1.6%

Thanks to Drunkmonk for hooking me up.
Poured a rich deep, dark brown almost black color and the carbonation was out of this world! Nose is yeast, alocohol and spice. taste is in your face with spice, alcohol, dried fruits and chocolate in there somewhere. This beer was still hot with 2 years of age. Good quad for sure!

barleywinefiend, Aug 03, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +2.8%

2007 vintage

A: Rich ruby accented brown body... massive pinkish-tan head... good retention and light lacing.

S: Deep, dark fruits... raisins, cherries, currants, figs.. some caramel and chocolate... light booze burning through.

T: Much like the nose, there is a lot of rich dark fruits here... slight tartness towards the end... booze is noticeable but restrained... nice chocolate/caramel malt base

M: Assertive carbonation, clean finish... medium bodied...

D: A very nice quad.... not st. bernardus 12... but damn close

callmemickey, Aug 01, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -10.3%

2007 bottle of Pannepot poured into a Duvel tulip glass. Poured a deep amber ruby brown color with a tan head that quickly dissapated. Dances on the tongue type of carbonation, maybe a little too much for my liking, almost champagne like. I pick up the booze taste pretty easily. Fruity type tastes as well.
I can appreciate the style but this beer just had too light of a mouthfeel for me.

Re-Rate: 2007 vintage. Pours a deep reddish brown color with a very big fluffy, fizzy 3 finger tan head that slowly settles. This has a slightly sour smelling dark fruit aroma. Some booze notes evident as well in the smell. Very light mouthfeel with some carbonation. Dark fruit, spice, and a slight sourness fills your mouth as you take a drink. Slight bitterness along with the sweetness. Lingering warmth from the booze. Overall, not bad but just as I remember having this beer before, the light mouthfeel and overcarbonation I feel really distracts from the wonderful flavors this beer has.

kbutler1, Jul 30, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -3%

11.2oz bottle poured into my St. Bernardus glass, is there any other way? I've heard this one was a gusher but not in my case. I've learned to be extremely careful with anything coming from overseas, you never know.

A- A loud hiss once the cap got taken off. The liquid out of the bottle is a dirty tan/brown color, but once in the glass it is a very dirty brown/mahagony with spots of red towards the top. A nice dark tan foam was on top for a bit before settling down to a nice skim, good retention, no lacing.

S- I was put off initially because I got some tart aroma's reminding me of a Oud bruin and some sour beers, I was left scratching my head, is this a quad? It is, under the tart smells mainly consisting of cherries, more quad like aromas came out with plums, light raisins & figs and a lot of spices. As others have said there is a flat coca-cola thing going on in the background.

T- I got a bunch of cherries in the beginning giving off a slight tartness, but that faded rather quick. The dark fruits are also featured nicely but not overkill, I get plums, raisins, grapes/apple and figs in that order going from more to less. A nice yeasty component giving doughy bread. The spices are actually very up front with many additions. Some residual sugars and toasted malt, alot going on here.

M&D- Slightly tart at first, I let this sit for a few before taking any more sips as tartness is not what I want in my quads, but im not complaining, it makes this "rather unique"(C)-AZ. Becomes very smooth with a good amount of carb felt as heard when I opened the bottle. A bit above medium bodied. The drinkability is insane on this when it warms and the 10% is only very minimally in the feel, although I could feel it in my body. I would love to try a reserva version of this in the future. This is a great quad.

BARFLYB, Jul 28, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into a chimay chalice. When I popped the capped it started to slowly foam up out of the bottle however i was able to get into the glass before a lost a drop. A very very gentle pours reveals a nice two finger head that soon settles. Its a very dark chesnut brown with a slightly tan head.
Smells delicious. The first few whiffs are off cherries, fig, and some nice bready yeast aromas. Also getting slight alcohol hints as well
The first sips reveal lovely ripe dark fruit flavors, and sweet candied sugar. Also a slight chocalately flavors with a earthhy woodiness and a peppery spicy finish. And some sips I get this grape soda flavor goin on. All in all a very complex beer.
Lots of carbonation with a clean dry finish. Highly drinkable for 10% beer.

scifan, Jul 27, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -6.2%

2007 vintage. 11.2oz brown bottle served in a Chimay chalice. Bottle conditioned. Opened with a big pop. Tons of carbonation, I could only pour half into the glass. Poured a deep copper/mahogany with a lot of big bubbled tan head. Big aroma with lots of dark fruit, spice and some sugar. Very spritzy mouthfeel with all the carbonation. Medium bodied. More spice in the flavor, both the typical yeasty spice and added spice. Seems like there is a fair amount of hops, but that could be the spicieness. There is some dark sugar sweetness in the middle. Long dry finish. This is a nice beer. Very complex.

homebrewhawk, Jul 26, 2009

2006 vintage.

A: Very dark brown with a minimal pale beige head that settles instantly and leaves basically no lacings.

S: Sweet malts and lots of fruit aromas (mostly plums and currants). Prominent but mild spiciness. Woody notes, a hint of chocolate and some alcohol. A pleasant and balanced smell, but it's somewhat restrained - it's almost like its character is too round.

T: The taste is basically just more of the same. Lost of sweet malts and rich flavors of fruits (plums, cherries, currants). Dark bread. Hints of chocolate, a general woody flavor and pleasant spices (reminiscent of Christmas spices). Some earthy yeast (that really gets bigger when the yeast sediments are poured into the glass, the yeast in this one really packs a lot of flavors). For some reason, in all the versions if Pannepot I've had, I think I pick up a taste that reminds me of Coca Cola, don't know how to describe it in any other way though. A light, not very tangy, tart note and some grassy hops in the middle. The finish is gently bitter with a decent amount of sweet alcohol and some wood, raisins, cherries and spices.

M: Rather full-bodied, very smooth texture. Mild carbonation.

D: A good beer. Tasty and balanced with a very round character. I really like how well the sweet malts and fruit esters go with the spices in this one. But overall, the flavors are a little restrained and it feels like the beer holds back a little. Turning everything up a notch of two wouldn't hurt it, I think.

ricke, Jul 26, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -12%

Thanks to Rhinos00 for this generous extra. More than a 1/4 of the beer was missing in the bottle due to shipping.

2007 sample

Poured into my duckrabbit snifter. Surprisingly it is still well carbonated. Loud hiss when I popped the cap. Plenty of visible carbonation in the glass.

Beer is black with a rim of head on the edges and slight bubbles in the middle

Smell is ripe raspberry, lots of clove, and a slight mustiness

Very carbonated, whew! Good mouthfeel.

Finishes with notes of chocolate covered raspberries. Alcohol is barely noticeable, but you feel it quite fast. Some chocolate as well. Finish lasts a long time.

carps12, Jul 16, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks so much to bamadog for bringing this one out tonight. It's not something I would have picked up off the shelf, but I really ended up enjoying it.

Appearance: After nearly landing on the floor from gushing out of the bottle, the liquid settles in my snifter with a surprisingly huge 3 finger tannish head. The liquid is surprisingly dark brown and the head retains solidly at a 1/2 finger, thick, pillowy and mocha-colored. Huge swathes of lacing coat the sides of the glass. Liquid is completely opaque.

Smell: Smell is tremendously huge and a bit intimidating. Smells tart, yeasty - this isn't a sour, is it? Roasted malts and sweet, sticky fruits (cherries?) come through along with honey and loads of spices like cinnamon. Spice, along with the hot alcohol, actually burn my nose a bit.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Wow- taste is surprisingly way more manageable than the smell. Full-bodied roasted malts come across a little like coffee, along with chewy breadiness, yeast and fruity, syrupy figs or prunes. Warming alcohol spreads throughout the palate and down the throat thanks to the excellent carbonation that gives the feel a nice creaminess. Spices warm along with it, definitely a cinnamon and savory type of taste.

Drinkability: Much higher than it should be for the ABV - the creaminess and balance in the taste really up the drinkability.

kels, Jul 06, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -6.9%

Split a bottle from 2007 with Kels, poured from the bottle into a tulip glass.

Upon opening the bottle, a huge gasp of carbonation burst forth and a thick fog rolled out for a few seconds before the bottled settled. In reading some other reviews, I see that this has proven to be a gusher in the past, so I feel fortunate not to have undergone such a travesty of justice with what is sure to be an excellent beer.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown (near coffee in color) with H-U-G-E creamy tan head that is 3+ fingers in depth and takes forever and a day to dwindle to a manageable thick and chewy looking skim on top; a full, thick and foamy lacing clings to the sides of the glass

Smell: Smells predominantly of deep dark sweet fruits -- raisins, plums, figs...; a definite presence of some heavy bready malts makes me think that this is going to be more of a meal than a drink; some spiciness is definitely apparent, but not as prominent as it is some other Quads, and are reminiscent of nutmeg with a slight backing of coriander (which is a little more standard in my experience thus far); slight alcoholic vapor comes in the nose as well.

Taste: First thing I notice is the alcohol as it comes across pretty big and warm; fortunately, the other flavors are quite strong as well and this isn't overwhelmed by the alcohol -- the deep dark fruits come in second and it's really quite like the smell (raisins, figs) and they're really sugary/candy sweet; those dark toasty, bready malts really do keep it "thick and heavy" tasting; spiciness is really subdued in the mouth and adds just a hint of flavor, much more prominent in the nose.

Mouthfeel: Quite warm from the alcohol and the mouth, throat and chest are thoroughly warmed from it; the carbonation is light yet thorough, so the body comes across as lively and smooth, even a little creamy.

Drinkability: Moderate, really... It's such a big beer and the warmth makes it a sipper. I'm glad I split the bottle as opposed to working on this one myself, and sometimes I waffle on this because some big beers like this I feel like I could drink a lot more of, but the warmth just slows me down on this... And besides, it's always best to share.

bamadog, Jul 05, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -11.5%

2007 vintage.

Poured at cellar temps into a goblet.

Huge bubbly mocha and cinnamon brown spotted head. The body is a very dark ruby brown.

The nose is full of booze and spice. Dark fruit, oak, maybe a little brett. The booze is really harsh.

The first sip burns my tounge with alcohol and prickly bubbles, ouch! Brown spices, green banana, dark dried fruits. Some yeasty breadiness. I'm also picking up on some cola as well.

Mouthfeel is full and bubbly.

My conclusion is that this beer takes a long time to mellow out. I should sit on the other bottles for a few more years. Still tasty, but a bit hard to put down.

beertooth, Jul 05, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +4.1%

Bottle 2007 Pours a dark brown with a good tan head. The head is fizzy and lasting. Produces good lacing. Aroma is of sweet fruits, oak, and touches of vanilla. Has a good carbonation. Has a slight but good alcohol burn, very mild but a nice touch. The flavor is well balanced. The tastes dance on your tongue like subdued pop rocks. Hasa slick texture. A real good mouthfeel. A solid finish with a good aftertaste. This is just a darn good beer.

Birdiebeagle, Jul 03, 2009

Had this little guy at the Toranado. 'Twas the first I'd seen it on a beer menu and reckoned that I should give it a try.

It's been a month now since I've had it, so I'm not going to get into the intricate details of my drinking experience, but I will note my general take-away from the beer:

Not as good as I'd hoped.

It was a near-gusher upon opening, and while all the beer was saved and made its way into our glass, the head that seemed so excited to escape the bottle dissipated without haste once it made it into the glass.

Belgian Strong Dark Ales are one of my favorite styles, but this lacked the general smoothness and sip-ability that one hopes for in the style. Instead, it was a bit harsh and off balance.

Let's hope I got a bad bottle. They're the same style, but due to votes, this is ranked above Chimay Blue, which I consider great, but not superb. Based on my sample size of one with the pannepot, I'd rank it as only 'good.'

Same brewer, though... I consider Black Albert to be near the top of my list.

DaveFL1976, Jul 02, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -18.9%

2007 bottle

A - started gushing when I cracked the bottle, but I moved very quickly to grab my goblet and didn't lose a drop, very dark, opaque, suspended yeast, insane creamy head (I don't think a strong wind could blow it over), incredible rentention, decent lacing

S - tons of plum (could smell it while pouring), sweet grapes, overall balance is fruity as opposed to spicy, smells pretty good, but not incredible

T - more of that plum up front (I wouldn't call it raisin or fig, a little lighter), spices add complexity, but none of them are strong enough to stand out for me, aftertaste is smooth dark chocolate, alcohol and spice

M - very full in the mouth, but carbonation keeps things "airy" if you will, alcohol is quite prominent, very warm, though smooth

D - Not the revelation I was expecting

This is just ok. The spices make it somewhat unique, but I can't say they make the beer better. This just doesn't measure up to a Rochefort 10, the Gouden Carolus quads, or St Bernardus 12. I tried this a few months ago at a tasting, and was also underwhelmed, but I thought it maybe just didn't stand out in a crowd, but even on it's own, I fail to see what is so great about it.

markaberrant, Jun 18, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +2.8%

Label reads 2007. As soon as I pop the cap, I notice it slowly foaming out of the bottle. I tried to get it all in the glass but it's just too heady. Strangely, there appears to be 2 distinct layers of foam. A tight bottom layer, and a looser top. As it decreases by half, I try the second pour. Nothing doing. Finally all in. This is a very dark beer, brownish in color. A little light around the edges, but not much. Head is light brown, and while it dropped a little, seems to be sticking around after all.

Aroma is a wonderfully strong cherry scent. And to a lesser degree, some spicing, could be nutmeg but I'm not sure. A bit bready. Really smells very nice.

Color me surprised! The aroma suggested one thing, yet the flavor is quite another. The dark fruits are all suggested here, cherries, plums, raisons, maybe even some fig, but they are in a much smaller role than I had expected. Some bread and yeast flavor too. The most surprising thing, to me at least, is that this seems to have an "oaked" barrel flavor. As far as I know, this is not barrel aged, so there you go. A slight roasted bitterness, not quite coffee, but almost. As I'm contemplating this beer, I glance at the bottle it reads in a small oval: "PNP No. 4 Brown Brew." That hits the nail on the head, it tastes to me like a jacked up spiced brown ale. More in common with DFH Palo Santo then say, Three Philosophers. Still, quite delicious, and I wish I had purchased much more!

Full bodied as a beer can be!! Just look, I used 2 exclamation points on that last sentence. See? Sweet, and yet somewhat dry. Long finish makes me appreciate the space between sips.

Amazing beer, really quite a bit more flavor than I expected. I will say that the aroma was so amazing, that I was just a tad let down by the flavor. Or if you're a glass half full type, the aroma alone is worth the price of the bottle. I will buy this anytime I see this in the future, and as much as I can afford. Best beer I've had in some time! Cheers!! (See? look at those exclamation points!!!!)

dancinwillie, Jun 14, 2009
4.35/5  rDev 0%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a snifter - Fridge - 2006

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with no highlights. It's actually more of a muddy black. The head is tan and rises 1.5". Great retention and lots of coating lace.

Smell: Booze, walnut, fig, milk chocolate, leather, tobacco and sweet candi sugar. A very sweet smell has lots of complexities.

Taste: Toasted malt, toffee, fig, cherry, Belgian yeast and enough booze. This is a deep, sweet and complex flavor in need of a nice cigar. Perfect as a standalone or as an after dinner drink. Lots of leather and tannins in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy body with a smooth feel. Sweet and boozy. Some carbonation.

Drinkability: A great QUAD. Lots of complexity and a very worthwhile cellaring brew. A great sipper.

Risser09, Jun 08, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -5.1%

2006 Vintage

Looks a reddish dark brown, plenty of yeast and sediment floating about.

Smells like Fig, Grapes and yeast.

Tastes like delicious dark fruits. Plenty of plum, raisin, tiny bit of tart cherry and even some grape. I'm getting a fantastic spiced rum flavor in the middle of this drink, so good! Also has a bit of an earthy cola flavor to it (without all that soda sweetness). Its a bit tart and yeasty and I really like it.

Feels very bubbly and thick in the mouth. Velvety smooth.

I could probably only drink one as there are so many flavors going on. But it is exceptionally flavored. I now can't wait to try the pannepot reserva I just picked up.

HairOfTh3Dog, Jun 07, 2009

2006 Vintage

A--Pours black in color with a huge billowing 3 finger brown head in my 16 oz. snifter. Nice lacing left behind.

S--Smell is sweet dark fruits, wood, rum?, spices, molasses. Rich and complex.

T--Taste follows the nose fairly well with the dark fruits dominating the palate but not to the point that it lacks balance. Each sip yields a wide range of flavors that are difficult to pick out from the pack. Nice flavor here, I haven't had many quad's but I really enjoy this.

M--Medium to full bodied, nice and creamy. Leaves a sweet raisin-like aftertaste that is pleasant

D--A sipper for sure but extremely interesting and worth seeking out. Great beer, I will definitely be buying more for my cellar.

alcstradamus, Jun 06, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -7.4%

Sampled on 6-4-09
2007 Vintage

Pours a very fizzy deep red/brown color, with an immense head that crackles and pops for a long time.

Smell is extremely fruity and surprisingly sour, extremely complex and enjoyable. Aromas of apple juice, dark fruits, and a little olive.

Taste is very different. Sugary at first, roasted and malty in the middle, and fruity with sharp bitterness at the end. Almost sour, but not overly Belgian.

Mouthfeel is way too carbonated, and detracts slightly from the experience.

Drinkability is good, too bad there's so much carbonation.

Overall, a very good beer, and definitely worth getting if you can.

BMoney575, Jun 04, 2009
4.35/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 375 ml bottle (2007 bottle) into a Westmalle chalice.

A: Pours a very dark brown with a gushing dark tan head.

S: Dark fruits, spices

T: Prunes, figs, raisons and other dark fruits in the beginning. The finish is loaded with spices such as nutmeg, cinnamon, some pepper. Very complex, layers upon layers of multiple flavors.

M: Very high level of carbonation, medium body.

D: Smooth, a touch hot from the alcohol. A great brew to sip on a cold winter night. Very unique.

willjschmidt, Jun 03, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +4.6%

Vintage 07 poured into a Maudite snifter.
A murky brown liquid with a phenomenal head that didnt dissipate at all. Great lacing.
Cherry, spiced rum, apple and a striking similarity to a flanders red.
Alcohol is present with a great malt body. Lots of complex fruits with some subtle spice notes.
Silk. This beer gently massages your tongue the whole time its in your mouth.
A phenomenal beer. Very unique in character, but it can rival any of the trappists.

alovesupreme, Jun 02, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -0.5%

Vintage 2007, found in the back shelves of Brawley's in Charlotte. Never would have even looked for it if it wasn't for BA and for this, I am glad. lots of Belgian yest funkiness to the nose, sour notes, and some Brett makes for a nice drinking experience. Good balance of spices in the finish. Worth a try, but may not be for everyone.

Backer2004, May 31, 2009
4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

Vintage 2006

A: 11.2 oz. (330 ml) brown bottle. My Chimay glass is just big enough to hold the dark brown body and it's 1/2" tan head. No light passes through as heavy particulate sits buoyantly suspended throughout.

S: Old ale is what comes to mind on the first whiff. Bittersweet chocolate comes through nicely behind a bed of dark fruits; cherries and raisins, in particular. The wonderful aroma is making me salivate. I can't hold back any longer.

T: WHOA! There's the spices the label mentioned; fresh ground pepper at first, followed by cinnamon and nutmeg... delicious! The spices take a back seat after the first couple of sips as the flavor begins to fall more in line with the aroma. I'm not picking up on raisins as much as I thought I would, but cherries and chocolate are definitely there. I haven't been blown away by the flavor of a beer like this in a while.

M: Quite full and creamy at every corner of the mouth. I'm not normally a fan of the mouthfeel of Belgian ales, but this is the best mouthfeel I've had from any beer style in recent memory.

D: It really gives Bud Light a run for its money!!! OK, maybe that's an inappropriate joke at the moment, but one of those God Damn commercials just came on with that douchebag drawing shit in thin air with his finger, and I felt it necessary to mock the piece of shit... TERRIBLE!!!!

GruvisHops, May 29, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -5.1%

This beer pours a very dark brown with a 3 fingered tan head and nice lacing. The smell is of raisins, caramel and hints of chocolate. The taste is nice and sweet with lots of chocolatey, rasain flavors, a wonderful amount of malts went into this brew for sure. The mouthfeel is nice, a little dry and a little over carbonated. Very drinkable brew for 10%

Biggness, May 25, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +8.5%

I've been sampling a few of these over the past month or so, and I liked it so much I've been waiting til I drank all of them before I put in a review. This beer only reinforced my already high regard for De Struise Brouwers. It pours a deep dark brown, essentially opaque with a rocky two finger head. The nose on this is quite a treat in itself. On the sweeter side, raisin bread, hints of spice, fruity yeast characters, hints of coco and Belgian candy sugar, and most interestingly a bit of a funky cheese rind aroma, quite clearly. Badass. Not to be mistaken as sour, but it definitely has that bit of earthy funk to it. Flavors are lush and full on this one. Rich maltyness and big almost over the top quad characteristics of spiced plums, rum, spicy notes and light musty hops, and an almost a stout-like chocolaty flavor to it. This might be labeled as an "extreme" quad by some. Definitely pushes the boundaries, yet this is still a very traditional Belgian quad at heart. Rich and velvety on the palate, remains extremely drinkable despite the robust sweet flavors and high ABV. Worth noting that I had several from '07 and a couple from '06. Both great. I think I prefer the fresher, dryer, and slightly more carbonated '07 to the richer, more lush and boozy '06, yet there were some amazing deep flavors developing there. Definitely drink one relatively fresh, and I'm sure this could age for quite some time. Highly supple and enjoyable.

twelvsies, May 22, 2009