Pannepot - De Struise Brouwers

PannepotPannepot

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-14-2006

Old Fisherman's Ale is a dark ale brewed with spices. Pannepot is a term that describes the Fishing Boats from the village of De Panne. Brewed and bottled on the Deca Brewery in Woesten-Vleteren.

EBC:99, IBU:27, OG:1100, FG:1025, ABV:10%
Hops: Bramling Cross, Hallaertau MF
4.32/5  rDev -0.5%

2006 Vintage.

Served in a red wine glass. Pours a gorgeous deep ruby color with a small frothy head. Very smooth. Cherries, toffee, more dark fruits, bready malts, a little chocolate. Fairly light bodied which makes it pretty drinkable.

Certainly plenty of interesting aspects of this beer. I could see this going well with food or, even better, dessert. I'll probably grab another bottle sometime to bring to a nice BYO restaurant.

4.47/5  rDev +3%

2007 Vintage.

Pours black with some ruby highlights and some big sandy head... a bit of a gusher, even after sitting for a while. Head sticks around for most of the brew. Smell is quad-y with some clove, dark fruit, alcohol, etc., but much bigger on the spice (almost cinnamon and nutmeg-y) and molasses as compared to other quads I've had. Big Belgian spices, some roasted malt on the finish, some sweet alcohol, dark fruit (cherries, dates), warming alcohol finish. Tremendous quad. Very smooth and creamy, filling on the feel. Tremendous drinkability, one of my favorite quads.

3.9/5  rDev -10.1%

Vintage 2006. Pours deathly black with over an inch of thick brown head. Some nice head retention and middling lace. Aromas of grape juice, toffee, candi sugar, and spiciness. Tastes of red grapes, toasty malts, spicy on the midpalate. Sweet toasty bready malt finish with a drying vinous character. Full bodied, nicely thick, moderately high carbonation levels. It seems like it should be thicker and maltier, maybe a bit less carbonation would be preferred. This is a pretty tasty beer, though not as tasty as some of the more readily available brews. It just doesn't seem as rich as I would prefer.

4.77/5  rDev +9.9%

Reviewed from my tasting notes. Served in a snifter at the Lion's Pride. The beer is colored a very dark shade of brown; it is too dark too see anything through it except for a faint glow caused by a bright light. There was a small head of tiny tan bubbles It quickly settled to skim of foam. There was a little bit of lacing left by the settling, but a great amount of lacing occurred as I began to drink the beer. The Old Fisherman's Ale smells nothing like an old fisherman. It is mainly sweet, with plenty of spices. I think I can detect aromas of clove and date, but identifying smells is one of my weak points, so I can't do this aroma justice. I find it be very pleasant and a perfect compliment to the amazing flavor this beer possesses. I taste plums and dates. It is a bit sweet, but not as sweet as other Quads and high alcohol brews. In fact, there is just a hint of alcohol, mostly in the finish. You can feel and taste it evaporating after you swallow. For a spiced beer, this is taste perfection. The body is of medium consistency, while the level of carbonation is on the lighter side. There is some mouth coating, but it is very slight. It is not syrupy or sticky; as I described above, it feels like it is just a thin layer of alcohol the pleasantly disappears. This is especially impressive, considering the strength and style of this beer. This quality mouthfeel lends itself to making Pannepot incredibly drinkable. The spices never get overwhelming. If you order a glass of this, or pop open a bottle, you could sip it slowly for a long time, or just as easily, you could order round after round. The alcohol never impedes the drinkablity (the Old Fisherman's Ale is dangerous that way). I would drink this beer all the time, if it wasn't so rare (and expensive). It's an exceptional product that I can easily call my favorite Quad.

4.32/5  rDev -0.5%

Labeled 2006. Had this one in the fridge for probably a year now, thanks to the trader that sent it to me. Celebrating my passage of the BJCP exam with this beer. Poured from 11.2oz bottle into a goblet. Very dark brown, clear with ruby highlights. Soft, thin tan head with fine bubbles. Low head retention, just a ring around the edge of the glass, no lacing.

Aroma is nice and complex. Smells of molasses, brown sugar, caramel, lots of dark fruit (figs, raisins, cherries, plums). Some spice from the alcohol and yeast. I can't put my finger on what spices are added to this beer, but it smells great.

Taste is also great and complex. Lots of dark malt, caramel, a little chocolate. More dark fruit with raisins, figs, grapes, cherries. Spice from alcohol and yeast. Flavors are really well integrated.

Medium-full bodied, with a winey, vinous mouthfeel. Soft but slightly prickly carbonation.

Easy to sip this beer. The alcohol does not come across as hot, but provides a nice warming sensation. Deserves to be drank slowly, with contemplation. A great, complex beer.

4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Picked this up while in Rhode Island last week. really nice brew. I have had some different quads from Begium and the Us as well this one is deffinately fine in a nice way.

A - Pours a dark ruby brown thin head but nicely light carbination.

S - Raisans dark fruit, probably the spices, to me faint chocolate in the background really nice.

T - Wonderfull very smooth not getting that typical Belgain sugar clove taste much more of a dark rasain fruit flavor.

M - Again nice leaves a great feel almost dry like finish as well.

D - Was leaning toward the 4.5 end but not quite but only becuase of the 10% ABV other than that this is a musct have for any BA.

4.72/5  rDev +8.8%

330ml 2007 vintage into 150ml Chimay chalice. The cap removal is followed by red wine aroma as the beer creeps out of the bottle. The pour results in dark dense garnet reddish-brown fluid topped by abundant tan mousse head which slowly subsides transforming itself into solid lacy cloth. Each swirl weaves a fabric of attractive lacy coatings on the walls. Nose is pampered by aromas of red wine, over ripened dark sweet cherries, prunes, rum soaked raisins, cocoa and soft spicy alcohol. Flavor profile is leaned towards the sweet side: chocolaty sweet malty body embraces fruity flavors of over ripened dark sweet cherries and prunes, even grapes, sparingly powdered with pepper. The fruity tartness is followed by gentle bread-crust like bitterness to balance the malt. The beer is somewhat vinous but never really such. Although the margins are perfectly smoothened individual components act as a symphonic orchestra of harmonious flavors. Excellent, milk chocolate coated dark fruits in a bottle. The thick and full bodied beer leaving sweet sticky coatings on the lips is on the edge of being syrupy but never crosses the line. Initially prickly with transition to velvety smoothness the beer rests pillowy soft on the palate. Apart from somewhat overdone sweetness nothing prevails and nothing is subdued. A puzzling beer: Although commonly classified as BSDA or Quad, it is verging on imperial stout. Great stuff.

4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

2005

A - Pours a rich dark brown with ruby highlights. A large puffy khaki head rises which resides to a sheet and leaves a few webs.

S - All your dark fruits; raisins, grapes, figs, and candi sugar. A lovely malt sweetness lays in there as well, and the alcohol is barely present.

T - Malt, clove, dark fruits, candi sugar. It's a great balance of all your quad elements, and the alcohol is no where near as present as the fresh bottles I've had.

M/D - Spot on carbonation with a full creamy mouthfeel. I could drink bottle after bottle if it wasn't 10%.

I hope I can forget about the other 2005 bottle I have to see how this quad holds up compared to all the others. It's doing great so far and seems like it has a least another 2-5 years of life.

4.23/5  rDev -2.5%

Thanks to my homie Greg for sharing this on Friday night! From notes.

Pours an excellent dark brown color with some caramel highlights. Great 2 finger tan head, great retention...sporadic lacing.

Aromas of caramelized brown sugar, some sweet brandyish oxidation notes (fairly evident), and nice yeast spiciness along with a substantial dark fruit component. Taste follows with some hearty breads and spice. Some dark chocolate and not nearly as much oxidation as the aroma indicated. This is a pretty well-cared for bottle. Alcohol is very well integrated into this medium bodied brew. Moderate carbonation helps lift some of the heaviness and sweetness. Very drinkable for 10%, I need to get some for the cellar!

October 22nd 2010...

Having this again, 2007 bottle tonight. The above review was an 06 if I am remembering correctly. This 2007 is dense and heavy like a raisin loaf. Great sipper, gotta dock it a bit for drinkability though. It is hearty and quite filling.

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

Received in a trade from EasyReader. Thanks, Doc!

I've been looking forward to this one ever since I passed up buying a bomber of it in Amsterdam. So, here goes:

Appearance: Beautiful dark brown beer with a hint of red. Not too much lace, but plenty of appetizing foam, also with a tinge of red.

Smell: Some medicinal notes - tartness (like Rodenbach), and definitely some pine from the hop character, no doubt.

Taste: Here's where this really shines. Slightly tart up front, like a Flemish Red, but then the malt kicks in - toffeeish, and flavors of dark, dried fruit. The finish on this is unbelievable - the flavors keep opening up to reveal ever more subtle nuances of complex malts.

Mouthfeel - Incredibly smooth. Caresses the tongue, and leaves that lingering feeling all the way down.

Drinkability - I only wish I could get this without having to trade. Anyone like to trade for this? Plenty of west coast hoppy IPA's...Come on...

4.67/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a rich, dark chocolatey brown with modest head comprised off larger than average bubbles. Minimal retention but decent semi-sticky lacing. Smell is a wonderous whiff off dark dried fruits (cherry, plum, rasisn, fig) backed by a rich toffee like malt backbone. Hints of citrus, oak, vanilla, herbs and spice linger in the background. Taste is an amazing blend of the above mentioned ingredients. Starts out with a touch of sweetness before it dives head first into dark fruit and toffee. Finnishes with a wonderfull fresh, crusty bread taste and no lingering sticky or sweet flavors. Carbonation is spot on for an ale with age on it, and as mentioned above, no sense of sticky sweetness to the begining or end. A wonderfull beer that exceeded all expectations and defies its own style classification.

4.1/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

2007 Bottle
Pannepot
A: Popped the cap to hear an excessive amount of carbonation, looked away a minute, and just barely caught it before gushing over. Hearty 1/2" bready head, with very nice lacing as it goes down the glass. A very fine looking beer.

S: Rich wheat bread, fresh out of the oven. Kind of a citrusy orange-ish smell, and a blast of belgian candi-sugar and dark fruit. Brown sugar. A bit nutty, with an almost almond-extract like sweetness to it. The breadiness is huge, and has a nice crusty quality to it. Alcohol lingers in back, but is tamed by the raisiny dark fruit flavours.

T: Malt sweetness up front, morphs into more layers of delicious malt and candi sugar. It changes character throughout, so as not to become cloying. Lots of flavour. Brown sugar and candi sugar hits you up front, morphing into a deep breadiness and finishing with a breadth of dark fruit flavour incorporating the alcohol. I've had many sweet beers become cloying to me, but this one has avoided that. Sweet oatmeal raison cookie-like aftertaste.

M: While it was originally a gusher, the carbonation takes on a velvety feel in the mouth. Coating the tongue, allowing for a long and pleasant finish of brown sugar-crusted raisin bread.

D: Alcohol shows up a bit more as it warms, but is still fairly well subdued. I came into this one skeptical, but it came out being quite the tasty beer.

4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

2007 bottle. Quads have never been my favorite looking beers because of their resemblance to shitty toilet water, but this one is an exception. Pours a cloudy super-dark brown with nice amber edges and a dark tan head. The Aroma is nice and sweet, but not strong enough. Lots of dark sweet fruits (Dominated by figs) and sugars along with a fair amount of alcohol.

The flavor really attacks the palate with it's complexity. Grapes, raisins, figs, the slightest hint of cherry, which serves to sweeten it. More raisins. Burnt brown sugar through the middle and finish along with an alcohol sting in the esophagus. There are no hops left to speak of, which isn't necessarily detrimental as it allows the complexity of the malts to shine. A great, sweet and fruity, alcoholic quad.

Mouthfeel may be a bit overcarbonated, but nothing really to complain about. Nice and thick, like sucking the nectar out of fruit. Drinkability takes a little hit for the noticeable 10% abv and the thickness (it's sufficiently filling).

4.47/5  rDev +3%

This has been on my wants list for a while, so while I'm not sure if I could get it in MN, I jumped at the chance to buy a 2007 bottle at the Davis Co-op today. I let it sit for about an hour before opening...

A - ... but an hour was not enough! It was a mini gusher, and I was glad I had the glass near. 4 finger pour, and 3 finger head. Dark body and tan/white head.

S - Fruity, spicy, yeasty, boozy, and delicious. There is a lot going on here, but in the end it is making me expect a sticky sweetness.

T & M - Sticky and sweet are right, but that finish is amazing. It lingers forever, letting the spices play out. It reminds me of a homemade barenjager I recently had, with the alcohol kicking around in there and the spicy sweet fruity flavor. There is a sour plum here too - kind of tart (in a good way)

D - Yep, to call this a sipper would be fair. It is heavy and complex. At the same time, I think if I brought several of these to a gathering of friends, they would not last long.

One final note - the yeast cake on the bottle of this bottle was massive!

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

I first tried this brew in a cellar bar in Bruges, Belgium in March of 2009. It was a 2006 bottle. I don't quite remember why I picked it but I am a fan of high test ales so I gave it a shot. I was thoroughly impressed! Very aromatic with hints almost resembling maple syrup and sweet fruits. The taste is smooth, definitely giving way to fruitiness, almost caramel / maple in it too.

Drinking one of these probably doesn't have the same effect as drinking a Westy or Rochefort 10 but it's still an experience you'd really want to try.

I've been trying to find these on the east coast but haven't had much luck. I brought three of them back with me from its land of origin, sharing my last bottle with my uncle who went to Belgium with me. I'm definitely on the hunt for more!

4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Got this special amazing beer while at Ebeneezers. One specially picked out by Chris, as he informed me I'm 1 of about 15 people to ever have tried this.

A: The bottle slowly erupts as the waitress cracks it and pours it quickly. It leaves a thick frothy head in the glass. It has a dark brown raisin like color hazy.

N: Sweet malts mostly, with quite a bit of raisin and plum, and more dark fruits. A slight sour fruit flavor, but no spices, as suggested by Chris, unspiced Pannepot!

T: Slightly sweet with lots of raisin! Dark malty flavors create a good shell, with thick syrupy slight porter flavor. More roast and black patent malt like flavors surround it as well. This is all surrounding a nice juicy dark fruit raisin center. A very slight smoke flavor is hinted. The slightest hint of booze and warmth.

M: Pretty thick and slightly syrupy, good carbonation.

F: Finishes slightly dry with a slight lingering smoke and porter flavor with roast. A slight syrup lingering, and the raisin just hangs out for a while too. Not quite sure the alc content of it, but I can only assume its pretty high and hides it well. A very delicious beer and I wish I had a lot more of it! Even my wife who is not a beer drinker, enjoyed this. I think it's the first beer I have shared with her that she actually somewhat enjoyed!

4.28/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

2006 version brought to me by my son, returning from "studies" overseas. Drank in honor of my sis-law, Margie, Cheers!

Murky oak brown, from a swirled pour to get all the goodies off the bottle bottom. Thick and rich tan head, sheets of lace slid down the Corsendonk tulip.

Aroma of a port sherry, thick with dark fruit and cherry. Spicy, hoppy, fruity quaff, digging this brew from top to bottom. Sips like a Champaign, highly charged with tingly carbonation. The spices add a nice touch to a fine quad, although rendering it a tad tart.

I've now seen this beer in the area (STL) beer stores, so another bottle or two should be in the works for me.

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%

A: Dark brown with medium white head that settles quickly to leave decent lacing.
S: Aroma of chocolate, caramel, nuts and dark mixed fruit.
T: Malty flavor with cloves, dark cherries, raisins and dates. Well-balanced, with hops and spice. Good complexity.
M: Good body.
D: A winner!

4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

2007 Vintage poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - Pours very dark brown with a 1/2 inch tan head that looks like soda foam. Head retention is very good.

S - The nose is much fruity than I imagines. Tons of dark fruit mixed with sour cherries. I was expecting more dark malt which I am not finding in the nose.

T - The sweetness follows through in the taste. I am getting raisins, cherries, plums, and dates. There is some bready notes from the yeast that add some balance.

M - Smooth and creamy, great feel on the tongue.

D - This is a great beer and worthy of the Top 100 list. However, the alcohol is a little hot and I'm not sure if more than one of these is in order. However, I am not having much trouble with the one I have.

3.98/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured into a Bruery tulip. 2007 vintage.

The appearance is dark amber, with a leather brown heart. It comes with a crisp beige head. The carbonation is very fierce on this one, you can tell with the stream of bubbles attacking the head.

The smell is not very strong, what I can smell is an assortment of spices. Clove, tobacco, dark malts, and light caramel are all players in this.

The taste is pretty exciting. The first few tastes take you off guard. The first few sips are dark caramel malts and some roasted grain characteristics paired with an assortment of cloves, a bit of peppermint, peppercorn, and others. Delicious.

The mouthfeel is good and the drinkability is a little low because I mostly enjoyed sipping opposed to gulping on this one. Recommended.

J

3.71/5  rDev -14.5%

A 2007 bottle.

A: Pours a dark brown color. A large tan head rises to two fingers with great retention. Lots of sticky lace is left behind.
S: Malty sweet with some chocolate. Plenty of dark fruits. Raisin, figs, plums. Bready yeast and some odd spice. It just seems a little to soft. I wish the nose was bigger.
T: Again, a very soft malty flavor. Sweet chocolate. Apple skins and some other dark fruits. Yeast, and some strange spice.
M/D: A full body that is creamy and smooth. Easy to drink. The alcohol is not noticeable at all. A good sipper.

This is a really good beer. The spice is just makes everything a little off for me. Still, even if it is not to my tastes exactly, this is a very worth while beer. I would recommend this.

4.57/5  rDev +5.3%

2006 vintage. This poured a hazy dark mahogany with some tan head. It smelled like rich toffee and brown sugar, with some wild yeast and cashew and honey wheat, and a bit of cream and alcohol. It tasted like rich toffee and brown sugar and caramel, with some wild yeast and oak and raisin and fig, and a bit of coffee and cocoa powder and vanilla. It was oily with smooth carbonation, and had a bittersweet aftertaste. Overall this had a fantastic delicate and complex scent and taste with great body. It hid the alcohol decently, so it was easy to drink. But this is definitely a beer you want to sip to savor. What a wonderful malty quad, similar to Cuvee Van De Keizer blue (which is one of my all-time favorites).

Note: I had a bottle of 2007 also, but it was infected. Tight seal on the cap, and still carbonated, so it wasn't oxidized. But it was extremely sour, so there must have been a problem with the yeast.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Inky black with a nice beige head. Aroma is sweet: caramel, raisins. Taste is fantastic. Rich and well balanced, sweet but not cloying. Smooth and tasty. Caramel, tamarind, a hint of spice. A big, satisfying taste. Mouthfeel is very nice. Velvety but not heavy. Nice warmth from the alcohol. Overall an outstanding beer.

4.18/5  rDev -3.7%

Served on tap at Lion's Pride
Appears almost completely opaque murky brown with a pretty tan ring and skim. Some nice lacing
Smells of concord grape, grape bubble yum, caramel, dark malt.
Taste is rich caramel, dark fruit some spice too.
Medium body, nice carbonation. Fine structure and very smooth.
A very nice rich beverage. A special treat that I was happy to try on tap.

4.34/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

2006. Dark brown with ruby highlights, no head or lacing, and light carbonation bubles. Rather dull looking. Very lovely aroma of brown sugar, dark fruits, spices, and brandy. Taste follows suit closely with the nose. Big bready malts, caramel, brown sugar coated plums, some raisin, and a light chocolaty finish. This is very reminiscent of a well made doppelbock only with a yeastier, fruitier finish. Good stuff! Medium-full bodied, light carbonation tingle. This is a sipper, and a very good one at that.

Pannepot from De Struise Brouwers