Pannepot - De Struise Brouwers

PannepotPannepot

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

Old Fisherman's Ale is a dark ale brewed with spices. Pannepot is a term that describes the Fishing Boats from the village of De Panne. Brewed and bottled on the Deca Brewery in Woesten-Vleteren.

EBC:99, IBU:27, OG:1100, FG:1025, ABV:10%
Hops: Bramling Cross, Hallaertau MF

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-14-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
JBogan

Nevada

4.47/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a bottle purchased at the Cracked Kettle in Amsterdam. Dark ruby colored with a very fizzy tan two finger head which remained a long time but left almost no lacing.

Smelled of spices, dates, caramel, cherries ... a lot going on here.

Tasted of spices, dark fruits, caramel, a tiny bit of coffee as it warmed, and almost no trace of alcohol.

Really good mouthfeel, somewhat smooth with medium body and a good amount ofcarbonation.

The helpful fellow at the Cracked Kettle (Andy I think) recommended this to me, and it did not disappoint. One of the finest beers I've ever enjoyed.

01-21-2008 17:15:21 | More by JBogan
baggio

Sweden

4.3/5  rDev -1.1%

2006 vintage bought at http://www.oelkonsortiet.dk thanks Svend!

A: Black with a huuuuge, rich, head that sticks to the glass.

S: Woaa. Lots going on here. Apples, cherries, nutmeg, prunes, yeast, coffee and sugar.

T: Nuts, roasted malt, coffee, cherries, pepper, figs.

M: Thick and creamy with medium carbonation.

Oh man. A beer that actually lives up to it's reputation. This beer made me feel all happy inside as i slowly sipped away on it. Incredibly complex and well-tasting beer. Best one in a while!

01-20-2008 19:55:07 | More by baggio
RedHaze

Nebraska

11.2 oz bottle.

Pours a very dark brown, leaning towards black with only some faint hints of light peeking through the edges. The head peaks at two fingers, but falls rapidly to a thin ring, leaving behind a thin webbing of lace.

Smell; there's a varied assortment of dark fruits, with raisins, dates, plums, cherries and figs. Brown and candied sugar, along with some molasses and licorice are all intermingled with just a touch of alcohol and spices.

Taste; sweet up front with molasses, brown sugar, candied sugar and oddly some mild hints of cotton candy. Before the sweetness has a chance to totally fade away the fruits start to come out with cherries at first then all of the others as it warms. Dates, figs, plums and a little coconut as well. A little alcohol and spices finishes things off.

Mouthfeel is full bodied with a pretty low carbonation, and the drinkability is just fantastic considering the alcohol content of this one.

01-20-2008 00:37:54 | More by RedHaze
Overlord

Whoa. Flavor explosion.

Pours a cola-like dark brown. Cascading inch to two inch dark tan head. Very bubbly (surprising).

Smells like a blend of about half a dozen fruits, I detect a lot of figs, plums, and cherries. Taste is sublime. Probably my favorite quadrupel at this point. An unbelievable concoction of flavors. Cinnamon spiciness, some chocolate, big plum and fig flavoring, and a chocolate/caramel malt backbone.

Sublime. I didn't think I was going to try a beer today that I'd enjoy more than Red Poppy, but this beat it out. The thick oily mouthfeel and pleasant carbonation made this far less boozy than the ABV would lead me to believe.

01-20-2008 00:14:39 | More by Overlord
mdagnew

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

4.38/5  rDev +0.7%

330ml bottle bought from The Cracked Kettle, Amsterdam... 2006 vintage

Poured a deep dark murky mahogany brown / almost black colour. Light mocha tan head poured big thick and foamy then faded to good thick coating with even thicker edging... quite a lot of thick lacing lines coat the glass most of the way down...

Aroma - Rich dark fruits mixed with Christmas spices - black currents, black cherries, apples, dates and plums mingle with cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger... lots of toasted bready malts, light liquorice mixed with chocolate, marzipan, nut brittle, light black treacle sweetness, earthy and leathery notes, alcohol is barely noticable...

Taste – Where to start !! Lots of spiciness (again cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, vanilla and black pepper) mixed with milk chocolate and fruit (ripe banana, plums, dates, raisins and berries), lots of nice warming alcohol (cognac ?) coming through, bready / yeasty, some candy sugar, toffee and brown sugar sweetness, nut brown butter notes, roasted malts, faint hint of smoke, light grassy hops...

Feel - Pretty sharp and dry although it does become smoother near the end... full bodied... pretty drinkable although the alcohol soon catches up with you..

Overall - An excellent example of a Quad...definitely up with the Westy's and Rocheforts... highly recommended...

01-15-2008 14:48:03 | More by mdagnew
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

Real smooth, hard to believe it's 10%. Aroma of coffee grounds, old ale barley, and cinammon and nutmeg. Light brown with generous fluffy white head. Even after a few minutes, this head serves to coat the mouth...until all gone. Drying but satisfying finish. Random tingling on the tongue.

01-14-2008 23:19:28 | More by Sammy
ntillemans

4.4/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

11.2 oz bottle poured into a Duvel glass.

A - Cloudy brown, low carbonation

S - Malt, roast , some fruitiness and alcohol...I thought the taste might be a little sour from the smell of this.

T - My expectations from the smell threw me off a bit. At first, it struck me as a cross between Guiness and a brown ale like New Castle, with just a higher abv. The roast caught me off guard...but as I continued drinking it, the maltiness became more prominent; and there's a peppery tastes to it as well. There's a lot of complexity in this one. I'm very picky when it comes to browns and stouts (not my favorite styles)...but this brought what I consider the best of what those styles have to offer over to this fine Belgian Quadruple.

M - Full-bodied, maybe almost oily...it coated my mouth and left my togue tingling.

D - This is one's strong and heavy. I'll definitely have this one again. I could possibly have another right now...of course, that wouldn't be a good idea.

01-14-2008 04:09:50 | More by ntillemans
flexabull

4.55/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2006 bottle courtesy of guinnessdoc, thanks again!

Pours a nice clear dark amber color with a nice head.

Aromas are strong. I can smell this beer from quite aways from my nose. Mostly dark apple notes, kind of cider like, a bit of booze, and spice. Very nice.

Beer has a very thick mouthfeel. Flavors are very complex, creamy, kind of sweet, some chocolate, roasted malts, and a nutty toasty quality. A very complex and flavorful beer. Finish is a touch tart and crisp, not even a hint of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is great, as mentioned earlier.

Drinkability is very good. I am impressed, a top notch Quadruple. I'd love to try this again sometime. Excellent beer.

01-13-2008 23:50:02 | More by flexabull
seaoflament

4.53/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A 2006 Vintage received as an extra a few months ago from the generous BRoss242, thanks!

Very attractive pour, a dark brown color, almost like a stout. Very active carbonation from the start; a nice inch of soft café au liat colored bubbles forms quickly and almost just as quickly settles to a thin layer with a little active volcano in the center of my Chimay goblet.

A wonderful spicy aroma upfront with some hints of coffee, toffee, light chocolate, yeast, dark Belgian candy, cinnamon bread, and raisins. Quite an onslaught of aromas which are very well balanced and each seem to compliment each other well. Some brown sugar comes through as well.

Taste is also heavily spiced with cinnamon, some orange peel? Very yeast influenced and some hints of toffee and chocolate as well. Dark fruits as in prunes and dates, and then followed by bready and toasty malts. Alcohol makes a presence in a fruity taste with a detectable, slightly boozy aftertaste. I also pick up a bit of a coca-cola flavor and some subtle notes of vanilla.

The alcohol, for the most part, is well hidden. Pannepot is well carbonated, almost a tad too much. A bit prickly on the tongue because of the carbonation.

I’m enjoying this beer even more as I continue sipping, a really great quad. Big and flavorful.

01-01-2008 23:33:43 | More by seaoflament
RblWthACoz

Label reads 2006.

My friend tasting it with me says it looks like coca-cola, and I have to agree. Nose is totally odd and unique and extremely complex. At first I thought it smelled like old, concentrated cotton candy. Then my friend pointed out that she thought it had a fragrance like banana Laffy Taffy (which it certainly does). There is just a load of things going on with this nose. Flavor is spice forward. Very sugary sweet like brown sugar and a slight biting alcohol presence. After a swallow and it settles on my tongue I get a heavy coffee aftertaste. The feel has a coffee flair to it as well. Like old coffee that was brewed with five times too many grinds. Extremely drinkable. But this puppy is heavy of course and I bet after some time in the cellar, it would even out and be even better. Highly suggested.

12-30-2007 15:24:31 | More by RblWthACoz
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

3.28/5  rDev -24.6%

This beer was reddish brown and hazy, with a one finger head. Not as dark as I would have expected from a quad.

Aroma was very mild - medium malts, caramel, and toffee. It did not leap out at me.

Aroma was of strong medium-bodied malts, slightly musty and earthy, with a brief burst of alcohol. The aftertaste was long, slightly sweet malt. Not too bad, but compared to St. Bernardus, not up in the same league.

Mouthfeel was all right, a fair amount of chewiness and viscosity to go with the character.

Drinkability is OK, but I didn't want any more when I had finished it. There are several I would prefer, and in fact I was surprised when I saw this one in the top 100.

12-27-2007 20:18:08 | More by connecticutpoet
nahthan

4.88/5  rDev +12.2%

33cl bottle. Gift from Aaron @ the Trappist. 2006 vintage. We left it in the sun all day yesterday, put it in a brown paper bag this morning, pried the cap off with a cigarette lighter and passed the bottle back and forth while riding BART down to San Leandro.. Just kidding. Cracked @ 55F on the morning of 12/25/2007. No glass recommendation on the label, so I used a small wine glass. Opaque pour with small, thin head. You have to pour this one aggressively if you want big head retention, but that's not really necessary. A fountain of complexity. First few sips give dried fruit, raisins, prunes, and especially plum. Next few sips chocolate starts to appear in the finish. Get even deeper in and you can start tasting the noble hops in the middle of your palate (Hallertau MF/Mt. Hood?). Big body but not too dry, not too sweet. Very smooth finish, the alcohol is not hot or harsh in any way, it contributes significantly to the mouthfeel. This beer is awesome. Many compare this to Westvletern 12, someday I will do a side by side to decide for myself. Try some and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

12-25-2007 21:14:34 | More by nahthan
brdc

Wisconsin

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

2006, small bottle poured into a goblet.

I had the Dannish version yesterday, which is good, but not as much as I expected, so my expectations for this one were a bit lower.
What a surprise!.
Murky dark brown, amber highlights, topped by a dark tan fluffy, albeit small head. However, it clings to the sides, and keeps a nice collar all the way to the end.
The ever changing aroma starts with a bourbon like alcholic nose, changes into caramelized malts, evolves into multiple spices, then dark fruits, more sugary maltiness, more spices.
Full bodied, creamy and wonderful on the tongue, it opens warmingly bourbon-like, turning sweet and caramelized, quickly balanced by a peppery spiciness, evolving into multiple dark fruits, back into malty sweetness. Despite some warming feeling and hints of bourbon, the alcohol is actually quite well "disguised", and the drinkability is very high for such a powerful brew.
An amazing masterpiece!

12-22-2007 03:16:31 | More by brdc
GClarkage

4.7/5  rDev +8%

12/19/07- Purchased at Sun Devil Liquors in Mesa, AZ.

Presentation- 11.2oz bottle, vintage 2006. Poured into an oversized wine glass.

Appearance- Deep brown colored pour with a 1/2 inch head. Bubbly and a bit creamy and white. Leaves good sheeting of lace behind.

Smell- Wonderful boquet of dark fruits and super sweet malted nose. Tons of grapes, dates, raisins, plums and prunes.

Taste- Excedes expectations. The only darwback is the overwhelming sweetness. It's good but unexpected. Sweet caramel malt followed by candied grapes, raisins and figs. Mild hoppy companion. A touch cola like as well.

Mouthfeel- Slightly syrupy, mouthcoating with a sweet grape-caramel flavor. Ultra mild hoppy aftermath.

Drinkability- Only drawback is an overwhelming sweetness. I would no doubt get used to it though if I had more. Would compare to Val Dieu Winter and Biere Du Boucanier Dark, but this one is more solid and put together. This is what I would picture Westy tasting like in an ideal world, minus about 15% of the sweetness. A good deal at $4.99.

12-20-2007 15:07:41 | More by GClarkage
tjthresh

Indiana

3.78/5  rDev -13.1%

Served in a Delirium Tremens tulip. Pours a dark opaque brown with a initially large tan head. The head fades to just a little layer, but it lasts. The aroma has bits of grape, soy sauce, cherry, wood, fruit pits, caramel malts, yeast phenols, and herbs. I picked up a sugary wine-ish note when warmed it bit more. The initial flavor I pick up is clove. Coco, toffee, pepper, and cooked sugars with a touch of alcohol. Slight bitterness in the finish. Medium body, with a silky texture and a nice touch of carbonation.

12-20-2007 02:18:30 | More by tjthresh
Dogbrick

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Sampled at the Odds and Ends Tasting II on 10/19/07 (2006 bottle): This beer pours in a lively way and is a deep brown color with a thick beige head that dissipates slowly. Sticky rings of lacing. Dark fruit, bready malt and sweet spice aromas intermingle nicely. Medium body with a refreshing complexity about it. Flavors of raisins, roasted malt, chocolate and spices are all present. The finish is fruity with a lingering spice and malt aftertaste. One of the better beers I have had lately.

12-19-2007 20:02:08 | More by Dogbrick
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.9/5  rDev +12.6%

I got this one as an extra thrown in by joe1510. Thanks Joe!!
Btw, I have another bottle of this and the Danish version coming soon from leftmindedrighty in another great trade!

This beer pours from 11.2oz bottle(2006 lot E 5 BB) (whoa, it started almost literally foaming out of the bottle as soon as the cap came off but...I was ready with my glass. ;^) a very cloudy, very dark brown with lots of bubbles, a huge expanding head of tannish foam and it has lots of sticky lacing. It's a very attractive looking brew.

The smell has notes of yeast, dark fruit, some citrus, and a slight medicinal nose.

The taste ...oh, wow. I'm getting a lot of caramel malt, dark fruit like raisins & plums and figs and just a slight hop bitterness in the background but man, this is one malty delicious concoction. The alcohol is there but it just shows up as a bit of warming after the swallow and that puts it in the "dangerously drinkable" category for me.

Yummy...the mouthfeel is pretty thick and chewy(that's a plus for the style) and though I mentioned there were a lot of bubbles when I poured this puppy, the carbonation level is no more than medium light. Absolutely delicious. A fantastic example of the style and I can see why it is so highly regarded. I wonder if I can get this in Colorado?? Seriously, for me, this ranks right up there with the best Quad I've ever had. Would I seek it out again? What do you think? lol

Bottom line: A malty and spicy and very tasty Quadrupel that my taste buds just can't get enough of. Thanks again with the deepest of appreciation, Joe!!!

12-16-2007 20:51:09 | More by Bitterbill
CWiggins

3.88/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours a cloudy dark amber, with very little head. What does form is a loose coalition of off-white bubbles that vanishes about as soon as it appears! The smell is very nice; there are elements of dark fruits and yeast, as well as brown sugar and molasses. I wasn't disappointed by the great flavor. It's incredibly well balanced between malts, spices, sugary sweetness, and hops. One may taste bits of caramel and raisons, light-roasted coffee, anise, and, perhaps, black pepper. As the body thins towards the finish, I found the sweet characters becoming more dominating, which gave the hop bitterness an unusual twist. This is a great Belgian ale!

12-11-2007 03:28:36 | More by CWiggins
pheggeseth

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Served in an Aventinus glass.

A: opaque deep brown with some slight lighting around the edges

S: wheaty with some slight spices, smells like a strong dopplebock, really

T: whoa, more understated than I was expecting, though I do have a slight cold so my sense may be slightly muted, a lot of spice in the back half, more dark fruit as it warms

M: Medium body and carbonation, not much to gripe about

D: 10%?! no way, it's sweeter than most quads I've had, but not overdone, very smooth, the abv and the nature of the beer itself should limit its consumption

Notes: I'm actually sensing a lot of parallels to this and something like Ayinger Celebrator, though this is a little more complex

12-03-2007 02:17:45 | More by pheggeseth
MuenchenerKindl

Germany

4.35/5  rDev 0%

Wow, Best spiced beer ever.

Poured from a small bottle to a very cool beer glass, the liquid is medium dirty brown with excellent carbonation. The head is nice 2 fingers brown and leaves some lace.

The smell does not do it justice, dark fruity yeast, but a mild sweet yeast. Like a very good holiday bread.

The taste is great, this brew is very good, really sweet but if sweet is not your thing you would still like it. it has so much to offer. Very light, mild spice, almost perfect, maybe it is. A little caramel and cherries. This brew has the best of everything and no down side.

Mouthfeel, just a solid better then medium body big beer with good carbonation.

The drinkability is fantastic, any one would like this brew.

Prosit und Zum Wohl. MK

11-30-2007 06:21:43 | More by MuenchenerKindl
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.83/5  rDev +11%

2006 version, very pricey at $6 for 12ozs, purchased at Coaltrain , here

Pours a gusher, damn, grab a glass! Finally decanted into my Bush tulip/snifter pouring a reddish chestnut/mahogany with 4+ fingers of whipped up tan/mocha colored head. Superior head retention & very good lacing

S: Chocolate & coffee grounds, with licorice &oak as this warms

T: Chocolate, licorice, leather, leafy hops & a hint of mint up front, damn complex. Raisins, prunes, peppery notes &dryness, permeate this ale as it warms. Finishes dry, some leafy hops, nutmeg, & allspice; warming with juniper & medicinal notes, very nice

MF: Soft, oily, with low carbonation & medium/heavy body

Drinks good for the abv/complexity, a damn shame at least 3 ozs were lost, ugh!! A great quad, only one or two better or equal I can think of. Super complex. What's weird; is this does kind of remind me of fisherman's friend cough drops...

11-29-2007 07:02:14 | More by russpowell
Photo of

3.95/5  rDev -9.2%

2006 version, 11oz. bottle

Dark brown in color, mainly opaque. Chestnut at the edges. Huge, light tan head. Developed a surprising amount of lacing.

Aroma was spicy, clove and nutmeg. Fruits in there as well, cherries and peaches, touch of citrus -- orange. Not much of the classic Belgian scent.

Taste was very sweet, molasses and clove. Roast notes, some oranges. Alcohol, but well hidden for 10%. Herbal bitterness at the finish. Metallic tang at the finish as well. Very complex.

Medium in body, lighter than expected. Medium carbonation. Very sweet, little drying, if any.

As mentioned, very complex. Spice is a nice accent and isn't overdone. Not really to my taste (too sweet), but well done.

11-28-2007 18:33:55 | More by
rye726

Colorado

4.68/5  rDev +7.6%

After sitting in my cellar for quite some time, this beer absolutely exploded upon opening. Despite this strange start, it was a wonderful tasting experience.

Great looking beer. Dark brown with some very faint reds. Silky mocha head has great lace.

The nose is very sweet surrounded by earthy spices. Nice roasty malts, ripe fruits, chocolate, caramel, vanilla and so much more. This is very complex and must be served at cellar temperature to truly appreciate.

The taste is possibly even more complex that the smell. Sweet cherries, figs, raisins, herbal spices, nutty malts, caramel and a light alcohol presence. An amazing beer that my vocabulary is simply not worthy of describing.

Nice mouthfeel. Full creamy body with a crisp carbonation level that makes it very drinkable. This beer is so complex yet so perfectly in balance. Simply Lovely.

11-28-2007 05:14:34 | More by rye726
Beaver13

Colorado

3.53/5  rDev -18.9%

11.2 oz bottle, dated 2006. Pours a dark brown with a huge fizzy light tan head that retains well and laces the glass. This is darker and has more carbonation than the Danish version.

The aroma is very subdued. Light chocolate malts and a little dark fruit, leather and alcohol.

The flavor is smooth rich chocolate malts and some dark fruit with some alcohol and enough bitterness to balance it and give it a dry finish. Some spices come out as it warms. The mouthfeel is medium with sparkly carbonation.

Overall, a nice dessert beer. I think I prefer the Danish version slightly - it's a little more complex. I do like the decadent flavors of this version a little more though even though they are not as complex. The aroma in this one was not very present compared to the Danish. And this one is thinner. While both are dessert type beers, they are quite a bit different.

11-24-2007 06:17:20 | More by Beaver13
Lothore

3.93/5  rDev -9.7%

A- Pours a smooth velvety black hue. A creamy, oak head adorns this dark brew fading to blankets of lacing.

S- Aroma is rich and deeply earthy with spicy alcohol tones that tickle the nose.

T- Very balanced spice with undertones of dark chocolate and some coffee. Alcohol hides behind curtains of mixed lighter fruits. Pleasantly warms as it creeps towards the stomach.

M- Silky smooth with bubbles that seem to dance on the tongue long after the sip is swallowed.

D- A brew to sip on and respect. While it could be cloying and alcohol heavy in large amounts, one bottle is just enough.

11-16-2007 03:47:36 | More by Lothore