Pannepot - De Struise Brouwers

PannepotPannepot

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

Old Fisherman's Ale is a dark ale brewed with spices. Pannepot is a term that describes the Fishing Boats from the village of De Panne. Brewed and bottled on the Deca Brewery in Woesten-Vleteren.

EBC:99, IBU:27, OG:1100, FG:1025, ABV:10%
Hops: Bramling Cross, Hallaertau MF

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-14-2006)

Real smooth, hard to believe it's 10%. Aroma of coffee grounds, old ale barley, and cinammon and nutmeg. Light brown with generous fluffy white head. Even after a few minutes, this head serves to coat the mouth...until all gone. Drying but satisfying finish. Random tingling on the tongue.

Sammy, Jan 14, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

11.2 oz bottle poured into a Duvel glass.

A - Cloudy brown, low carbonation

S - Malt, roast , some fruitiness and alcohol...I thought the taste might be a little sour from the smell of this.

T - My expectations from the smell threw me off a bit. At first, it struck me as a cross between Guiness and a brown ale like New Castle, with just a higher abv. The roast caught me off guard...but as I continued drinking it, the maltiness became more prominent; and there's a peppery tastes to it as well. There's a lot of complexity in this one. I'm very picky when it comes to browns and stouts (not my favorite styles)...but this brought what I consider the best of what those styles have to offer over to this fine Belgian Quadruple.

M - Full-bodied, maybe almost oily...it coated my mouth and left my togue tingling.

D - This is one's strong and heavy. I'll definitely have this one again. I could possibly have another right now...of course, that wouldn't be a good idea.

ntillemans, Jan 14, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2006 bottle courtesy of guinnessdoc, thanks again!

Pours a nice clear dark amber color with a nice head.

Aromas are strong. I can smell this beer from quite aways from my nose. Mostly dark apple notes, kind of cider like, a bit of booze, and spice. Very nice.

Beer has a very thick mouthfeel. Flavors are very complex, creamy, kind of sweet, some chocolate, roasted malts, and a nutty toasty quality. A very complex and flavorful beer. Finish is a touch tart and crisp, not even a hint of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is great, as mentioned earlier.

Drinkability is very good. I am impressed, a top notch Quadruple. I'd love to try this again sometime. Excellent beer.

flexabull, Jan 13, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A 2006 Vintage received as an extra a few months ago from the generous BRoss242, thanks!

Very attractive pour, a dark brown color, almost like a stout. Very active carbonation from the start; a nice inch of soft café au liat colored bubbles forms quickly and almost just as quickly settles to a thin layer with a little active volcano in the center of my Chimay goblet.

A wonderful spicy aroma upfront with some hints of coffee, toffee, light chocolate, yeast, dark Belgian candy, cinnamon bread, and raisins. Quite an onslaught of aromas which are very well balanced and each seem to compliment each other well. Some brown sugar comes through as well.

Taste is also heavily spiced with cinnamon, some orange peel? Very yeast influenced and some hints of toffee and chocolate as well. Dark fruits as in prunes and dates, and then followed by bready and toasty malts. Alcohol makes a presence in a fruity taste with a detectable, slightly boozy aftertaste. I also pick up a bit of a coca-cola flavor and some subtle notes of vanilla.

The alcohol, for the most part, is well hidden. Pannepot is well carbonated, almost a tad too much. A bit prickly on the tongue because of the carbonation.

I’m enjoying this beer even more as I continue sipping, a really great quad. Big and flavorful.

seaoflament, Jan 01, 2008

Label reads 2006.

My friend tasting it with me says it looks like coca-cola, and I have to agree. Nose is totally odd and unique and extremely complex. At first I thought it smelled like old, concentrated cotton candy. Then my friend pointed out that she thought it had a fragrance like banana Laffy Taffy (which it certainly does). There is just a load of things going on with this nose. Flavor is spice forward. Very sugary sweet like brown sugar and a slight biting alcohol presence. After a swallow and it settles on my tongue I get a heavy coffee aftertaste. The feel has a coffee flair to it as well. Like old coffee that was brewed with five times too many grinds. Extremely drinkable. But this puppy is heavy of course and I bet after some time in the cellar, it would even out and be even better. Highly suggested.

RblWthACoz, Dec 30, 2007
3.28/5  rDev -24.6%

This beer was reddish brown and hazy, with a one finger head. Not as dark as I would have expected from a quad.

Aroma was very mild - medium malts, caramel, and toffee. It did not leap out at me.

Aroma was of strong medium-bodied malts, slightly musty and earthy, with a brief burst of alcohol. The aftertaste was long, slightly sweet malt. Not too bad, but compared to St. Bernardus, not up in the same league.

Mouthfeel was all right, a fair amount of chewiness and viscosity to go with the character.

Drinkability is OK, but I didn't want any more when I had finished it. There are several I would prefer, and in fact I was surprised when I saw this one in the top 100.

connecticutpoet, Dec 27, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +12.2%

33cl bottle. Gift from Aaron @ the Trappist. 2006 vintage. We left it in the sun all day yesterday, put it in a brown paper bag this morning, pried the cap off with a cigarette lighter and passed the bottle back and forth while riding BART down to San Leandro.. Just kidding. Cracked @ 55F on the morning of 12/25/2007. No glass recommendation on the label, so I used a small wine glass. Opaque pour with small, thin head. You have to pour this one aggressively if you want big head retention, but that's not really necessary. A fountain of complexity. First few sips give dried fruit, raisins, prunes, and especially plum. Next few sips chocolate starts to appear in the finish. Get even deeper in and you can start tasting the noble hops in the middle of your palate (Hallertau MF/Mt. Hood?). Big body but not too dry, not too sweet. Very smooth finish, the alcohol is not hot or harsh in any way, it contributes significantly to the mouthfeel. This beer is awesome. Many compare this to Westvletern 12, someday I will do a side by side to decide for myself. Try some and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

nahthan, Dec 25, 2007
4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

2006, small bottle poured into a goblet.

I had the Dannish version yesterday, which is good, but not as much as I expected, so my expectations for this one were a bit lower.
What a surprise!.
Murky dark brown, amber highlights, topped by a dark tan fluffy, albeit small head. However, it clings to the sides, and keeps a nice collar all the way to the end.
The ever changing aroma starts with a bourbon like alcholic nose, changes into caramelized malts, evolves into multiple spices, then dark fruits, more sugary maltiness, more spices.
Full bodied, creamy and wonderful on the tongue, it opens warmingly bourbon-like, turning sweet and caramelized, quickly balanced by a peppery spiciness, evolving into multiple dark fruits, back into malty sweetness. Despite some warming feeling and hints of bourbon, the alcohol is actually quite well "disguised", and the drinkability is very high for such a powerful brew.
An amazing masterpiece!

brdc, Dec 22, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +8%

12/19/07- Purchased at Sun Devil Liquors in Mesa, AZ.

Presentation- 11.2oz bottle, vintage 2006. Poured into an oversized wine glass.

Appearance- Deep brown colored pour with a 1/2 inch head. Bubbly and a bit creamy and white. Leaves good sheeting of lace behind.

Smell- Wonderful boquet of dark fruits and super sweet malted nose. Tons of grapes, dates, raisins, plums and prunes.

Taste- Excedes expectations. The only darwback is the overwhelming sweetness. It's good but unexpected. Sweet caramel malt followed by candied grapes, raisins and figs. Mild hoppy companion. A touch cola like as well.

Mouthfeel- Slightly syrupy, mouthcoating with a sweet grape-caramel flavor. Ultra mild hoppy aftermath.

Drinkability- Only drawback is an overwhelming sweetness. I would no doubt get used to it though if I had more. Would compare to Val Dieu Winter and Biere Du Boucanier Dark, but this one is more solid and put together. This is what I would picture Westy tasting like in an ideal world, minus about 15% of the sweetness. A good deal at $4.99.

GClarkage, Dec 20, 2007
3.78/5  rDev -13.1%

Served in a Delirium Tremens tulip. Pours a dark opaque brown with a initially large tan head. The head fades to just a little layer, but it lasts. The aroma has bits of grape, soy sauce, cherry, wood, fruit pits, caramel malts, yeast phenols, and herbs. I picked up a sugary wine-ish note when warmed it bit more. The initial flavor I pick up is clove. Coco, toffee, pepper, and cooked sugars with a touch of alcohol. Slight bitterness in the finish. Medium body, with a silky texture and a nice touch of carbonation.

tjthresh, Dec 20, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Sampled at the Odds and Ends Tasting II on 10/19/07 (2006 bottle): This beer pours in a lively way and is a deep brown color with a thick beige head that dissipates slowly. Sticky rings of lacing. Dark fruit, bready malt and sweet spice aromas intermingle nicely. Medium body with a refreshing complexity about it. Flavors of raisins, roasted malt, chocolate and spices are all present. The finish is fruity with a lingering spice and malt aftertaste. One of the better beers I have had lately.

Dogbrick, Dec 19, 2007
4.9/5  rDev +12.6%

I got this one as an extra thrown in by joe1510. Thanks Joe!!
Btw, I have another bottle of this and the Danish version coming soon from leftmindedrighty in another great trade!

This beer pours from 11.2oz bottle(2006 lot E 5 BB) (whoa, it started almost literally foaming out of the bottle as soon as the cap came off but...I was ready with my glass. ;^) a very cloudy, very dark brown with lots of bubbles, a huge expanding head of tannish foam and it has lots of sticky lacing. It's a very attractive looking brew.

The smell has notes of yeast, dark fruit, some citrus, and a slight medicinal nose.

The taste ...oh, wow. I'm getting a lot of caramel malt, dark fruit like raisins & plums and figs and just a slight hop bitterness in the background but man, this is one malty delicious concoction. The alcohol is there but it just shows up as a bit of warming after the swallow and that puts it in the "dangerously drinkable" category for me.

Yummy...the mouthfeel is pretty thick and chewy(that's a plus for the style) and though I mentioned there were a lot of bubbles when I poured this puppy, the carbonation level is no more than medium light. Absolutely delicious. A fantastic example of the style and I can see why it is so highly regarded. I wonder if I can get this in Colorado?? Seriously, for me, this ranks right up there with the best Quad I've ever had. Would I seek it out again? What do you think? lol

Bottom line: A malty and spicy and very tasty Quadrupel that my taste buds just can't get enough of. Thanks again with the deepest of appreciation, Joe!!!

Bitterbill, Dec 16, 2007
3.88/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours a cloudy dark amber, with very little head. What does form is a loose coalition of off-white bubbles that vanishes about as soon as it appears! The smell is very nice; there are elements of dark fruits and yeast, as well as brown sugar and molasses. I wasn't disappointed by the great flavor. It's incredibly well balanced between malts, spices, sugary sweetness, and hops. One may taste bits of caramel and raisons, light-roasted coffee, anise, and, perhaps, black pepper. As the body thins towards the finish, I found the sweet characters becoming more dominating, which gave the hop bitterness an unusual twist. This is a great Belgian ale!

CWiggins, Dec 11, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Served in an Aventinus glass.

A: opaque deep brown with some slight lighting around the edges

S: wheaty with some slight spices, smells like a strong dopplebock, really

T: whoa, more understated than I was expecting, though I do have a slight cold so my sense may be slightly muted, a lot of spice in the back half, more dark fruit as it warms

M: Medium body and carbonation, not much to gripe about

D: 10%?! no way, it's sweeter than most quads I've had, but not overdone, very smooth, the abv and the nature of the beer itself should limit its consumption

Notes: I'm actually sensing a lot of parallels to this and something like Ayinger Celebrator, though this is a little more complex

pheggeseth, Dec 03, 2007
4.35/5  rDev 0%

Wow, Best spiced beer ever.

Poured from a small bottle to a very cool beer glass, the liquid is medium dirty brown with excellent carbonation. The head is nice 2 fingers brown and leaves some lace.

The smell does not do it justice, dark fruity yeast, but a mild sweet yeast. Like a very good holiday bread.

The taste is great, this brew is very good, really sweet but if sweet is not your thing you would still like it. it has so much to offer. Very light, mild spice, almost perfect, maybe it is. A little caramel and cherries. This brew has the best of everything and no down side.

Mouthfeel, just a solid better then medium body big beer with good carbonation.

The drinkability is fantastic, any one would like this brew.

Prosit und Zum Wohl. MK

MuenchenerKindl, Nov 30, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +11%

2006 version, very pricey at $6 for 12ozs, purchased at Coaltrain , here

Pours a gusher, damn, grab a glass! Finally decanted into my Bush tulip/snifter pouring a reddish chestnut/mahogany with 4+ fingers of whipped up tan/mocha colored head. Superior head retention & very good lacing

S: Chocolate & coffee grounds, with licorice &oak as this warms

T: Chocolate, licorice, leather, leafy hops & a hint of mint up front, damn complex. Raisins, prunes, peppery notes &dryness, permeate this ale as it warms. Finishes dry, some leafy hops, nutmeg, & allspice; warming with juniper & medicinal notes, very nice

MF: Soft, oily, with low carbonation & medium/heavy body

Drinks good for the abv/complexity, a damn shame at least 3 ozs were lost, ugh!! A great quad, only one or two better or equal I can think of. Super complex. What's weird; is this does kind of remind me of fisherman's friend cough drops...

russpowell, Nov 29, 2007
Photo of
3.95/5  rDev -9.2%

2006 version, 11oz. bottle

Dark brown in color, mainly opaque. Chestnut at the edges. Huge, light tan head. Developed a surprising amount of lacing.

Aroma was spicy, clove and nutmeg. Fruits in there as well, cherries and peaches, touch of citrus -- orange. Not much of the classic Belgian scent.

Taste was very sweet, molasses and clove. Roast notes, some oranges. Alcohol, but well hidden for 10%. Herbal bitterness at the finish. Metallic tang at the finish as well. Very complex.

Medium in body, lighter than expected. Medium carbonation. Very sweet, little drying, if any.

As mentioned, very complex. Spice is a nice accent and isn't overdone. Not really to my taste (too sweet), but well done.

, Nov 28, 2007
4.68/5  rDev +7.6%

After sitting in my cellar for quite some time, this beer absolutely exploded upon opening. Despite this strange start, it was a wonderful tasting experience.

Great looking beer. Dark brown with some very faint reds. Silky mocha head has great lace.

The nose is very sweet surrounded by earthy spices. Nice roasty malts, ripe fruits, chocolate, caramel, vanilla and so much more. This is very complex and must be served at cellar temperature to truly appreciate.

The taste is possibly even more complex that the smell. Sweet cherries, figs, raisins, herbal spices, nutty malts, caramel and a light alcohol presence. An amazing beer that my vocabulary is simply not worthy of describing.

Nice mouthfeel. Full creamy body with a crisp carbonation level that makes it very drinkable. This beer is so complex yet so perfectly in balance. Simply Lovely.

rye726, Nov 28, 2007
3.53/5  rDev -18.9%

11.2 oz bottle, dated 2006. Pours a dark brown with a huge fizzy light tan head that retains well and laces the glass. This is darker and has more carbonation than the Danish version.

The aroma is very subdued. Light chocolate malts and a little dark fruit, leather and alcohol.

The flavor is smooth rich chocolate malts and some dark fruit with some alcohol and enough bitterness to balance it and give it a dry finish. Some spices come out as it warms. The mouthfeel is medium with sparkly carbonation.

Overall, a nice dessert beer. I think I prefer the Danish version slightly - it's a little more complex. I do like the decadent flavors of this version a little more though even though they are not as complex. The aroma in this one was not very present compared to the Danish. And this one is thinner. While both are dessert type beers, they are quite a bit different.

Beaver13, Nov 24, 2007
3.93/5  rDev -9.7%

A- Pours a smooth velvety black hue. A creamy, oak head adorns this dark brew fading to blankets of lacing.

S- Aroma is rich and deeply earthy with spicy alcohol tones that tickle the nose.

T- Very balanced spice with undertones of dark chocolate and some coffee. Alcohol hides behind curtains of mixed lighter fruits. Pleasantly warms as it creeps towards the stomach.

M- Silky smooth with bubbles that seem to dance on the tongue long after the sip is swallowed.

D- A brew to sip on and respect. While it could be cloying and alcohol heavy in large amounts, one bottle is just enough.

Lothore, Nov 16, 2007
4.15/5  rDev -4.6%

Bottle @ City Beer Store. Dark brown with a small ruby head and tight carbonation. Aromas of various spices and heavy duty German style maltings. Star anise, fennel, and licorice come to my mind, and upon first sip they also hit my palate. Kinda chocolate-y yet not really.. there is some Cinnamon flavors in here as well. Mouthfeel is creamy, but not too thick or over the top. Drinkability is good, but I could not drink this one all night as the spices would definately get to me after awhile. Nice one.

francisweizen, Nov 15, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured an almost thick dark brown, with a medium head and excellent lacing.
The aroma was amazing; malty and spicy for sure but seemed more complex and better-balanced than many quads I've had. Sweet chocolate and raisin, mild spice and sweet/caramel malt. There is more going on here but it is so subtle its hard for me to nail down.
Caraml malt and brown sugar in the taste, along with roasted grain and raisin. Alochol is there but not very strong, which is interesting considering the ABV. Also a lto going on here, but very very well balanced.
Pretty full-bodied, with mild carbonation and a very smooth feel.
Overall a fantastic quad; the 10% ABV might limit the number you have, but even drinking one is an almost religious experience.

sinistrsam, Nov 12, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +6.9%

From notes... 2006 bottle.

Dark, deep brown in color... near black with a 1/4" tan head. Very tight bubbles and an excellent swirl.

Malty on the nose and somewhat chocolately. Has a spicy licorice/anise aroma... very good. Raisin and cinnamon notes with a bourbonny caramel and maple background. Excellent.

Mouthfeel is thick, creamy and silky. Perfect.

Nice caramel flavor on the tongue with maple candy... a touch nutty... bits of alcohol... a lot of fig and molasses.

Fugazme, Nov 12, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +12.2%

As a German beer fan that's trying to branch out, this beer speaks to me.
I'd classify this as a "malt bomb" I can't get enough of.
Pours a dark tan/brown with a moderate, but not giant head. I've received warnings that this one can have a rocky head like some golden ales, but mine wasn't too bad. Looks a little like chocolate milk with a head.
Smell/Taste: I'm going to blend these two as I find the nose and taste to actually be in unison. Chocolate, malted milk balls, caramel, raisins, nutmeg, dried cherries, and even a little hops in the finish. There's a tiny bit of heat from the alcohol, but it feels much less potent than it is. I've had plenty of quads including the Trappist offerings, but I put this one atop the list easily. I don't think it has the fruitier flavors some of those do, but I think it captures all of the malty goodness I like from a good doppelbock...but with a heartier body and a little zest.
I split the 11.5oz bottle with my wife and was VERY tempted to open a second bottle or even give the Danish version at try immediately. I wanted more for sure.
I give this beer one of my highest recommendations. I honestly think this is one of my top 3-4 beers.

Domingo, Nov 11, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +9.9%

a: Deep dark amber red when held up to the light. So dark it is almost opaque. Pours with a huge tan head that lingered for a long time.

s: Subtle and difficult to decipher, as no one element asserts itself. Alcohol is noticeable, with some earthy spices. Yeast, and perhaps some cherries?

t: Wow, I don't know where to begin. Some cherries up front followed by a savory earthy yeast flavor. Hops are present at the end as more of a tingle on the tongue than an actual flavor. This beer transitions perfectly starting small and subtle before reaching a flavor crescendo over a period of several seconds. Sublime.

m: The thick almost syrupy texture, along with the foaming carbonation, convey the flavors perfectly.

d: This is a sipper for sure, but don't linger to long. As the carbonation fades this beer diminishes a bit. I'll certainly be getting a lot more of this one.

DIM, Nov 09, 2007