Join our email list →

De Struise Brouwers
Belgium | website

Quadrupel (Quad) | 10.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-14-2006

Old Fisherman's Ale is a dark ale brewed with spices. Pannepot is a term that describes the Fishing Boats from the village of De Panne. Brewed and bottled on the Deca Brewery in Woesten-Vleteren.

EBC:99, IBU:27, OG:1100, FG:1025, ABV:10%
Hops: Bramling Cross, Hallaertau MF
Reviews: 818 | Hads: 2,293
4.19/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2011 bottle. Poured into a Trappist Achel glass. Produced a half finger of khaki colored head with a chestnut colored body and reddish hues. Aroma of sweet stone fruits, brown sugar malts and bubblegum yeast. The taste follows the nose with bubblegum and vinous and tart stone fruit. Nice brown sugar finish. Mouthfeel is medium and creamy. Very light with a nice texture. Overall a very sweet and tart Quad with a wonderful mouthfeel. Drinks way too easy for 10%. Recommended if you like your Quads on the sweeter side.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I got a bottle of De Struise Brouwers Pannepot in a trade last month with @Mottozappa, thanks buddy! I've been wanting to try this beer for a while and since it's isn't available in my area I had to trade for it, so lets see how it goes. 2011 Vintage. Poured from a brown 11.2oz bottle into a Belgian Goblet.

A- The label looks nice, it's got some nice info on it and i think it's got a nice classic look to it. It poured a dark brown almost cola like color that didn't really let any light come through and it had two fingers worth of creamy light brown head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I liked the color and the head and lacing were really nice.

S- The aroma starts off with a low amount of high sweetness that has a slight candied sugar like aroma to it and it's followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart some nice, caramel, toffee, brown bread and sweet malt like aromas. Up next comes a nice darkfruit aroma with lots of raisin like aromas coming through which make for a sherry like aroma and there's some spices coming through in the background. This beer had a very nice aroma, I thought it had a nice amount of complexity to it.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness that has a slight brown sugar and candied sugar like flavor to it and it's followed by loads of malts being the first to show up and they impart all those nice malty aspects that I got in the aroma with caramel and toffee sticking out the most. Up next comes the dark fruits that still have that raisin aspect that got in the aroma, but there's also some figs and dark cherry like flavors and it was still a little sherry like. Towards the end come a little bit of spices with a slight amount of alcohol and it had a lower amount of medium bitterness with caramel, toffee and raisin like aftertaste. This was a very nice tasting beer, I thought it was just as complex as the aroma and the flavors worked well together.

M- Smooth, a little dry, slightly chewy, a little sticky, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a slightly light amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a very nice mouthfeel, that worked pretty well with this beer, I have no complaints.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and I thought it was very good example of a quad, I'm not sure how different this is from when it was fresh, but as it stands now I thought it had a nice amount of complexity and the rich malty flavors blended well together making for a pretty enjoyable beer. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, a little dry, slightly chewy, a little sticky, a little filling, and the taste did a really nice job at holding my attention, I'll have no problem drinking a full bottle and I wouldn't rule out on sipping on a couple of these throughout the night. I think this would be a nice beer to enjoy in the fall and winter. What I liked the most about this beer was that it was very true to style and it had a nice amount of complexity, to me those were the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, but it kind of sucks that it isn't available where I live. I would for sure buy this beer if I saw it, I would love to try a fresh one and keep some around in the cellar. I would recommend this beer to just about anyone and I think it's a must try if you like Quads. All in all I was very happy with this beer and a little impressed, It lived up to all the good things I have heard about it. So far I think this is one of the better Quads I've had, I think Rocherfort 10 is still my favorite, but this would be number two. This made for a great first impression for De Struise and I will for sure be on the look out for more beers from this brewery. Great job guys, this was one outstanding beer, keep up the great work.

4.14/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A very nice extra given to me! 08 bottle; unfortunately I know nothing about quads

A- Looks great! There is some head, and some dark body!

S- Tastes like belgian dark fruits! Prob on par for what it is suppose to taste like!

T- Mwah... tastes like a well done quad. Dark fruit and figs runnin all around the place

M- Very creamy, no prob with carb.

O- I wish that I didn't open this and gave it to someone who would love it; I failed on research

4.73/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Blind quad test against Westvleteren 12, Pannepeut, Rochefort 10, St Bernardus 12, St Amatus 12, The Sixth Glass, & Chimay Blue

My prefered order was; Pannepot, Rochefort 10, St Amatus 12, Westvleteren 12, St Bernardus, Pannepeut, Sixth Glass and last Chimay.

Pours much much darker than the other quads, and has a tan head. Aroma is coffee, raisin, some vanilla wood notes, a bit oak touch, and a lot of dark fruit. Taste is upfront bitter roastiness, but then explode with dark fruit and complexity, this is really good, it has a licorice touch to it, and just has an medium full mouthfeel, that really sticks out compared to other quads.

4.11/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2011 vintage. Lot 2015190511-24FF.

Pours an opaque super dark brown with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Tiny dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of toasted malt, molasses, dark fruit, spice, and slight cardboard aromas. Taste is much the same with caramel, toffee, molasses, fruit, and roast flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of roast bitterness and a slight alcohol kick on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good beer with an interesting mix of aromas and flavors all around.

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Dark Brown opaque with a slight amber tinge, a finger of creamy chocolate milk brown head with a distinct orange tinge.

S: Chocolate, as in a milk chocolate, dark fruits like figs and raisins, a salty brine of an ocean breeze, black liquorice.

T: Dark fruits, cherries, light sour note, white snow (as opposed to yellow snow) ends in a distinct salty taste and black liquorice. The combination is reminiscent of Dutch salty licorice. It unfolds with every sip. I got a metallic tinge on the second sip (a hint of ammonia perhaps as the salty licorice uses this as a component). The salty licorice becomes more dominant with each sip.

M: Thick body that might be sticky except the creamy foamy carbonation makes it smooth and silky.

O: Awesome! I got this in December 2013 in Bruges, just off the main square at De Struise’s personal store. I went to the actual brewery near Westvleteren earlier that day, and was disappointed as it was closed. Bruges was all set in Christmas lights as it was nearing sunset. Great memory! Enjoying this for the first time April 3, 2014.

3.74/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - dark brown red body. Short lived one finger head. Spotty lace.

S - spice, dark fruits, raisins, sherry.

T - quite dry when measured against smell. Brown sugar, caramels, figs, prunes, spice and lots of it.

M - light carbonation, medium weight.

O - not as sold on this as I could be. But then I had La Terrible last night. Not quite as complex as it could be.

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured 11.2 oz bottle 2011 vintage into St Bernardus snifter glass

A-Dark brown with reddish hues with a brownish 1 1/2 finger head. Decent lacing.

S-Superb combination of aromas including chai, dark robust cocoa, raisins, plums and some cigar notes.

T-Taste of plum, dark candi, fruit cake, indian spices, finishing on a long cherry/chocolate finish with spices in the mix.

M-Mouthfeel is almost full bodied, very low carbonation, plummy, dark candi, fruit cake, indian spices, finishing on a long cherry/chocolate finish with spices in the mix.

O-This is a great easy drinking quad. I love this beer!

4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours murky dark brown with a 1/4 khaki head that quickly fades to a thin ring on top and leaves faint spotty lace.

Smell is of prunes, raisins, caramel, roasted malt and just a hint of chocolate.

Taste is of dark malt, molasses and dark fruit.

Texture is medium bodied with high carbonation.

Another solid Belgian quad that is malt forward with caramel and raisin accents.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2011.

Pours an opaque black with minimal tan head that lingers as a ring of foam.

Plums, raisins, sweet molasses, and a touch of leather form the aroma.

Alcohol, raisins, nutty, toasted malt and light roast form the initial flavor. There's a vinous note at the finish that counters the malt sweetness well. Light cardboard oxidation dries things out in the aftertaste.

Body is fairly full, with a hint of carbonation and warming alcohol lingering.

Very complex brew. All is fairly balanced, between esters, oxidation, and malt sweetness.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

33cl bottle sampled on several occasions. Quite a complex and unusual quad, more sweet, smootx and complex than the more traditional quads. A bit too complex for me.

4.54/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured to me blindly at a quad tasting, courtesy of jdhowe. This was the bottle I brought, and with my already great familiarity with De Struise Brouwers, I had a feeling (although at the time I mixed it up with the Rochefort 10) that this was the Pannepot. More below. 2011 vintage. Poured into a mini snifter from a 11.2oz bottle.

This was darkest pour of the tasting, with a near pitch blackness that only showed clarity with some light amber plum streaks when held against the light. A frothy, off-khaki head coated the top of the glass, leaving behind some powerful streaks and legs with each swirl. Carbonation is noticeable, although no bubbles really show. Really a monster beer (even for a quad), and DSB really know what they're doing in the realm of making gargantuan looking beers.

Wow! THIS is how a quad should be, if the knobs are to be tuned up a bit considering all of the ingredients and aspects that go into it. Prunes, raisins, dark cherries, molasses, as well as sweetened notes of rum and vanilla at the finish. Cloves, tobacco, leather, and earth. This reminds me very much of what Rochefort 10 tasted like to my memory back in the day, yet somehow, this is far more powerful. I simply cannot believe that this wasn't barrel aged - it's so resinous smelling, and that is simply magical.

The flavor continues the same success imparted from the aroma, displaying extremely strong, ridiculous notes of dark fruit, spices, and malty sweet goodness. The raisins jump out like nothing else, but there's still some space given for prunes, as well as blackcurrant. Some pepper, cinnamon, and caramel, even chocolate, as well as some light tobacco notes no doubt imparted by the spices (although it could be the hops as well). A lingering, spicy bitterness keeps this from trailing off into becoming a sweet, sickly mess, especially with the ever lingering rum molasses notes that makes this pretty notable. Definitely a lot of heat, and this is an undeniable sipper - still, I enjoyed immensely for its complexity and overall grip in terms of maintaining creaminess, thickness, and good carbonation. A world class quad - yet somehow transcends the style at hand.

Other people at the tasting claimed that this wasn't a "true" quad with its over-the-top feel, and while I understand where they're coming from, I somewhat disagree. This is not a "classic" rendition of a quad - and by that, I really mean that this isn't the version popularized with the Trappists offerings that broke ground commercially in the last century. Given the experimental nature of Belgian brewing and its history of making other beverages (most notably wine), this is a hardcore rustic quad at its basis, with new influences (DSB is highly inspired by American craft brewing). In a way, it's the best of both worlds - malty and rich (old world), yet hoppy and spicy as well (new world). I have a bunch of Pannepots aging right now. I simply cannot wait to crack them over for the next few years.

4.54/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Extremely dark quad, black and opaque. No visible floaties. Head slightly darker than typical for the style, but fades quickly.

Strong stout-like aroma, focusing on chocolate, vanilla/oak, and dark fruit. Complex and impressive.

Flavor follows the nose, with a balanced dose of chocolate, vanilla, raisins, and plums. Not quite as fruity as other quads.

Chewy, super-thick mouthfeel, especially for the style.

This is a very, very tasty quad, but dramatically departs from the style. In a blind tasting, this one stood out the most as both possibly the best and easily the most different. Definitely, definitely try this beer.

4.31/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2011 served in a snifter

Deep brown color with an almost cloudy texture. This poured with a murky character that yields a fizzy thickness for a head that was short lived.

The aroma seems all dark dried fruits like prunes, dates, figs and raisin. Light chocolate malt couples with a coconut like flavor that reminds me of barrel aging.

I had to take a couple of drinks of this to truly appreciate the nuance and craftsmanship. Very chocolatey on the tongue there's a tempered sweetness. Plum like qualities come near the finish there's a tinge of prune or raisin. After a while I start to detect caramel and toffee malt graininess but all of it is secondary to the chocolate.

The feel is very full but strangely drinkable. The ABV is not detectable but for the warmth. At times there is a weird thinness that hits as if the body of this ale is layered.

There was a sense of trepidation and suspicion when I started this, as there was a sense of hype amongst geeks I knew. This established itself as I very well constructed and nicely diverse beer.

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

11.2 oz. bottle into a Burley Oak snifter (2011)

A: No head and almost none even with vigorous swirling. Dark brown with no lacing.

S: Sweet smelling malts. Comes across like a good-smelling barleywine.

T: I get a decent amount of cinnamon towards the end and the aftertaste. Lots of sweet malts here. Lots of raisin.

M: Quite smooth with no carbonation at all. I was expecting it to be more viscous and thick but it is quite thin.

O: Not what I was expecting at all. Decent but possibly past its peak.

Eu realmente achei essa cerveja perfeita.
Procurei, mas não achei defeitos.
Aparência linda.
Aroma sensacional.
Sabor encorpado, complexo e cheio de personalidade.
Sem palavras, ela é realmente surpreendente.
Mais uma lendária e poderosa cerveja belga.

4.07/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Dirty dark brown head. Dark beer with good glass lacing at the end. It smells good for a quad, not as boozy on the nose with sweet raisiny smell. Malty molasses taste upfront with nutty bitterness at the end. Light richness mouthfeel; it's very smooth.

Overall, it is more than a good beer. I'm glad I found this beer because I could drink this on any season. I think it can be a comparable brew against any quad whale out there. Roche...? eh, not really, I change my mind. However, I'll buy it again...if I can find it. Next time I'll buy more...

4.46/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pannepot 2011

(4.25) A: Black with a tall and bubbly dirty beige head. Commendable retention with some lacing left against the glass.

(4.5) S: Bitter bakers chocolate, molasses, gingerbread, dried dark fruits (most noticeably figs), caramel, and also some hints of fruity-bubblegum. The prevailing aroma is of a thick and rich figgy molasses with various winter spices.

(4.5) T: Figs, bitter molasses, sweet caramel, plums, lots of different spices, faint smoke, and herbal qualities. Quite an earthy bitterness present throughout to compliment a very malty backbone. As others have pointed out, this also has an oak-like flavour that adds another layer to the malt. Excellent.

(4.25) M: Medium bodied with lively carbonation. Pleasantly creamy with a suitable syrup quality.

(4.5) D: This is very flavourful and rich with spices and that bitter herbal quality. Perfect for this, the coldest night of the year.

4.72/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

(2011 Vintage)

The beer comes in an almost black, dark mahogany color with a gorgeous stout looking tan head.

The aroma is fruit forward with dried figs, plums, and super sweet dark raisin. Lots of the Belgian fruity ester as well. Lots dark sweet candy sugar and caramel.

You immediately notice how silky and creamy this beer is. Then the rum soaked raisin, a yeasty fruit bread, candy dark brown sugar. Finish is a bit sticky of caramel. A bit of an alcohol bite.

This is one of the best quads around. Great stuff.

4.04/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into snifter. 2011 vintage.

A: Pours a very dark reddish brown with a two finger tinted off white head that settles to a small ring around the glass. Little if no lacing.

S: Figs, dates, raisins, apple juice. Some Belgian yeast in the back.

T: Dark fruits. Dates, figs, raisins. Biscuits, sweet malts.

M: Full bodied and nicely carbonated. Coats the tongue nicely.

O: A solid quad, but I had higher expectations for this one...

3.79/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2011 vintage. loosely a quad, maybe more a quad that I think it is, I don't know, this is way fruity as they go, and the yeast that makes Belgian beers what they are, especially the big ones, is way down low here, you have to search for it. glorious dark color though, deep brick red, brown overtones and a permanent two finger just off white head. the nose is fruity, raisins and apples come to mind, a mild spice as well. the taste also prominently displays these fruited notes, almost to its detriment. I get raisins all day in the long finish. one thing impressive here is the lack of alcohol presence for a beer so strong. very well disguised, this drinks like a 6% brew. some allspice and faint Belgian yeast in the finish, but I am so distracted by the fruity apple juice type flavors that I don't love the whole picture. for a beer with such acclaim I expected more, not to say I didn't like it, but I was just underwhelmed. the same was true with the reserva version, so maybe its something about this beer that's just disagreeable, maybe its my messed up notion of what a quad should be, I don't know. full body and lively carbonation is very nice, especially with the absence of booze, even at room temperature. a fine brew, but not really my speed.

3.82/5  rDev -11.8%

From: Etre Gourmet, Belgium
Date: 2010 vintage
Glass: Founders oversized snifter

Struise's Pannepot is a relatively good quadrupel, with heavy dark, dried fruit (prunes, raisins, dried black mission figs) sweetness, hints of amber candi sugar and roasted malt, and enjoyably subdued ethanol. While I enjoyed the beer, I don't know if I'd go out of my way to purchase another, as several more readily imported versions have very similar characters to this.

Pours a 1.5cm tall head of tan to light brown-colored foam, made up of small and medium-sized bubbles, creating a fairly frothy looking appearance. Retention is above average, lasting about 1.5 minutes in a decline to a thin ring around the glass and a small island of lace lingering atop the body of the beer. Lacing is minimal, a few spots cling at random to the sides of the glass. Beer is a very dark brown to black color, with light bringing out amber brown hues around the edges of the beer. Carbonation is visible traveling up the sides of the glass, low in number and slow in movement.

Aroma of prunes, raisins, dried black mission figs, amber candi sugar, anise, and subtle ethanol.

Generally pleasant flavors of syrupy sweetness (mostly from fruit, modest molasses-like), anise, and ethanol. Front of palate experiences syrupy, dark dried fruit sweetness (prunes and raisins, primarily) that nears cloying, with hints of anise and ethanol. Mid-palate of heavy dried fruit sweetness (prunes, dried black mission figs, raisins) with a slight touch of roasted malt char, some anise, and moderate ethanol. Aftertaste of light, but very notable roastiness contributing some char and coffee flavor, dark dried fruit sweetness (prunes, black mission figs), diluted molasses, and ethanol.

Beer is medium-bodied, with carbonation of low intensity, resulting in a mostly smooth (9/10) and slightly foamy (1/10) mouthfeel; would be better with a bit more carbonation. Closes dry, with heavy stickiness on the palate and lips.

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Sampled from a 330ml bottle dated 2010.

A - Deep brown with some light coming through. A small beige head that dissipates quickly but leaves a nice dusting. Clings nicely to the glass.

S - Molasses, roasted marshmallow, brown sugar, toffee and roasted malts. Rich and complex.

T - Follows the aroma closely with dark fruits prominent. Starts semi sweet but finished drier than expected. Lots of flavor and complexity yet still fairly crisp and refreshing. Some lingering bitterness. The 10% alcohol is well hidden.

M - A moderate consistency and carbonation. I expected more of a syrupy feel given the aroma and flavor but it really works.

O - A very complex but balanced and drinkable beer.

4.24/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

11.2oz bottle into a tulip. 2011 vintage.

A: Pours a foreboding woody brown with a moderate tan head.

S: Smooth dark fruit (plum, fig), dusting of nutmeg and cocoa, sweet bread, lightly vinous.

T: Thick grapey sweetness, yeasty, multigrain bread, pleasant hit of booze, subtly astringent grain husk, cooked sugar, warming.

M: Thick-bodied with creamy carbonation.

O: Fantastic quad - rivals the best trappist renditions.

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2011, drank 11/15/13

a: a combination of dark murky brown and ruby red, hints of butterscotch in there as well. 2 finger solid off white head that fades pretty rapidly to around a .5 finger

s: this smells diving. caramel, toffee, figs, dates, plums, loads of raisins, milk chocolate, almonds, concord grapes. very rich caramel toffee malts. can't wait to dive in

t: yup - this is great. right away are the plums, grapes, raisins, and figs. then the sweet caramel/toffee syrup maltiness. some roasted chocolaty malts in here as well. sooo much figs, raisins, grapes, and plum in here. its a very hearty beer, with lots of robust flavor. its all blended together so well. maybe a little nutty. also, there is a slight alcohol presence, but it works well with the dark fruits and sweet malt

m: its a full mouthfeel. not much carbonation really - its a 2 year old bottle, not sure if that has anything to do with it, but the carbonation level has no real effect on the beer to me

o: great stuff. drinking this reminds me of why i fell in love with beer in the first place....quads. this is so balanced, and full of flavor - i highly recommend this to anyone.

Pannepot from De Struise Brouwers