Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Pannepot - De Struise Brouwers

PannepotPannepot

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-14-2006

Old Fisherman's Ale is a dark ale brewed with spices. Pannepot is a term that describes the Fishing Boats from the village of De Panne. Brewed and bottled on the Deca Brewery in Woesten-Vleteren.

EBC:99, IBU:27, OG:1100, FG:1025, ABV:10%
Hops: Bramling Cross, Hallaertau MF
Reviews: 809 | Hads: 2,213
4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

2006, small bottle poured into a goblet.

I had the Dannish version yesterday, which is good, but not as much as I expected, so my expectations for this one were a bit lower.
What a surprise!.
Murky dark brown, amber highlights, topped by a dark tan fluffy, albeit small head. However, it clings to the sides, and keeps a nice collar all the way to the end.
The ever changing aroma starts with a bourbon like alcholic nose, changes into caramelized malts, evolves into multiple spices, then dark fruits, more sugary maltiness, more spices.
Full bodied, creamy and wonderful on the tongue, it opens warmingly bourbon-like, turning sweet and caramelized, quickly balanced by a peppery spiciness, evolving into multiple dark fruits, back into malty sweetness. Despite some warming feeling and hints of bourbon, the alcohol is actually quite well "disguised", and the drinkability is very high for such a powerful brew.
An amazing masterpiece! (943 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

12/19/07- Purchased at Sun Devil Liquors in Mesa, AZ.

Presentation- 11.2oz bottle, vintage 2006. Poured into an oversized wine glass.

Appearance- Deep brown colored pour with a 1/2 inch head. Bubbly and a bit creamy and white. Leaves good sheeting of lace behind.

Smell- Wonderful boquet of dark fruits and super sweet malted nose. Tons of grapes, dates, raisins, plums and prunes.

Taste- Excedes expectations. The only darwback is the overwhelming sweetness. It's good but unexpected. Sweet caramel malt followed by candied grapes, raisins and figs. Mild hoppy companion. A touch cola like as well.

Mouthfeel- Slightly syrupy, mouthcoating with a sweet grape-caramel flavor. Ultra mild hoppy aftermath.

Drinkability- Only drawback is an overwhelming sweetness. I would no doubt get used to it though if I had more. Would compare to Val Dieu Winter and Biere Du Boucanier Dark, but this one is more solid and put together. This is what I would picture Westy tasting like in an ideal world, minus about 15% of the sweetness. A good deal at $4.99. (1,052 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Served in a Delirium Tremens tulip. Pours a dark opaque brown with a initially large tan head. The head fades to just a little layer, but it lasts. The aroma has bits of grape, soy sauce, cherry, wood, fruit pits, caramel malts, yeast phenols, and herbs. I picked up a sugary wine-ish note when warmed it bit more. The initial flavor I pick up is clove. Coco, toffee, pepper, and cooked sugars with a touch of alcohol. Slight bitterness in the finish. Medium body, with a silky texture and a nice touch of carbonation. (518 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Sampled at the Odds and Ends Tasting II on 10/19/07 (2006 bottle): This beer pours in a lively way and is a deep brown color with a thick beige head that dissipates slowly. Sticky rings of lacing. Dark fruit, bready malt and sweet spice aromas intermingle nicely. Medium body with a refreshing complexity about it. Flavors of raisins, roasted malt, chocolate and spices are all present. The finish is fruity with a lingering spice and malt aftertaste. One of the better beers I have had lately. (494 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

I got this one as an extra thrown in by joe1510. Thanks Joe!!
Btw, I have another bottle of this and the Danish version coming soon from leftmindedrighty in another great trade!

This beer pours from 11.2oz bottle(2006 lot E 5 BB) (whoa, it started almost literally foaming out of the bottle as soon as the cap came off but...I was ready with my glass. ;^) a very cloudy, very dark brown with lots of bubbles, a huge expanding head of tannish foam and it has lots of sticky lacing. It's a very attractive looking brew.

The smell has notes of yeast, dark fruit, some citrus, and a slight medicinal nose.

The taste ...oh, wow. I'm getting a lot of caramel malt, dark fruit like raisins & plums and figs and just a slight hop bitterness in the background but man, this is one malty delicious concoction. The alcohol is there but it just shows up as a bit of warming after the swallow and that puts it in the "dangerously drinkable" category for me.

Yummy...the mouthfeel is pretty thick and chewy(that's a plus for the style) and though I mentioned there were a lot of bubbles when I poured this puppy, the carbonation level is no more than medium light. Absolutely delicious. A fantastic example of the style and I can see why it is so highly regarded. I wonder if I can get this in Colorado?? Seriously, for me, this ranks right up there with the best Quad I've ever had. Would I seek it out again? What do you think? lol

Bottom line: A malty and spicy and very tasty Quadrupel that my taste buds just can't get enough of. Thanks again with the deepest of appreciation, Joe!!! (1,580 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a cloudy dark amber, with very little head. What does form is a loose coalition of off-white bubbles that vanishes about as soon as it appears! The smell is very nice; there are elements of dark fruits and yeast, as well as brown sugar and molasses. I wasn't disappointed by the great flavor. It's incredibly well balanced between malts, spices, sugary sweetness, and hops. One may taste bits of caramel and raisons, light-roasted coffee, anise, and, perhaps, black pepper. As the body thins towards the finish, I found the sweet characters becoming more dominating, which gave the hop bitterness an unusual twist. This is a great Belgian ale! (649 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

Served in an Aventinus glass.

A: opaque deep brown with some slight lighting around the edges

S: wheaty with some slight spices, smells like a strong dopplebock, really

T: whoa, more understated than I was expecting, though I do have a slight cold so my sense may be slightly muted, a lot of spice in the back half, more dark fruit as it warms

M: Medium body and carbonation, not much to gripe about

D: 10%?! no way, it's sweeter than most quads I've had, but not overdone, very smooth, the abv and the nature of the beer itself should limit its consumption

Notes: I'm actually sensing a lot of parallels to this and something like Ayinger Celebrator, though this is a little more complex (694 characters)

4.31/5  rDev -0.5%

Wow, Best spiced beer ever.

Poured from a small bottle to a very cool beer glass, the liquid is medium dirty brown with excellent carbonation. The head is nice 2 fingers brown and leaves some lace.

The smell does not do it justice, dark fruity yeast, but a mild sweet yeast. Like a very good holiday bread.

The taste is great, this brew is very good, really sweet but if sweet is not your thing you would still like it. it has so much to offer. Very light, mild spice, almost perfect, maybe it is. A little caramel and cherries. This brew has the best of everything and no down side.

Mouthfeel, just a solid better then medium body big beer with good carbonation.

The drinkability is fantastic, any one would like this brew.

Prosit und Zum Wohl. MK (755 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

2006 version, very pricey at $6 for 12ozs, purchased at Coaltrain , here

Pours a gusher, damn, grab a glass! Finally decanted into my Bush tulip/snifter pouring a reddish chestnut/mahogany with 4+ fingers of whipped up tan/mocha colored head. Superior head retention & very good lacing

S: Chocolate & coffee grounds, with licorice &oak as this warms

T: Chocolate, licorice, leather, leafy hops & a hint of mint up front, damn complex. Raisins, prunes, peppery notes &dryness, permeate this ale as it warms. Finishes dry, some leafy hops, nutmeg, & allspice; warming with juniper & medicinal notes, very nice

MF: Soft, oily, with low carbonation & medium/heavy body

Drinks good for the abv/complexity, a damn shame at least 3 ozs were lost, ugh!! A great quad, only one or two better or equal I can think of. Super complex. What's weird; is this does kind of remind me of fisherman's friend cough drops... (910 characters)

Photo of
3.97/5  rDev -8.3%

2006 version, 11oz. bottle

Dark brown in color, mainly opaque. Chestnut at the edges. Huge, light tan head. Developed a surprising amount of lacing.

Aroma was spicy, clove and nutmeg. Fruits in there as well, cherries and peaches, touch of citrus -- orange. Not much of the classic Belgian scent.

Taste was very sweet, molasses and clove. Roast notes, some oranges. Alcohol, but well hidden for 10%. Herbal bitterness at the finish. Metallic tang at the finish as well. Very complex.

Medium in body, lighter than expected. Medium carbonation. Very sweet, little drying, if any.

As mentioned, very complex. Spice is a nice accent and isn't overdone. Not really to my taste (too sweet), but well done. (704 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%

After sitting in my cellar for quite some time, this beer absolutely exploded upon opening. Despite this strange start, it was a wonderful tasting experience.

Great looking beer. Dark brown with some very faint reds. Silky mocha head has great lace.

The nose is very sweet surrounded by earthy spices. Nice roasty malts, ripe fruits, chocolate, caramel, vanilla and so much more. This is very complex and must be served at cellar temperature to truly appreciate.

The taste is possibly even more complex that the smell. Sweet cherries, figs, raisins, herbal spices, nutty malts, caramel and a light alcohol presence. An amazing beer that my vocabulary is simply not worthy of describing.

Nice mouthfeel. Full creamy body with a crisp carbonation level that makes it very drinkable. This beer is so complex yet so perfectly in balance. Simply Lovely. (853 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -20.3%

11.2 oz bottle, dated 2006. Pours a dark brown with a huge fizzy light tan head that retains well and laces the glass. This is darker and has more carbonation than the Danish version.

The aroma is very subdued. Light chocolate malts and a little dark fruit, leather and alcohol.

The flavor is smooth rich chocolate malts and some dark fruit with some alcohol and enough bitterness to balance it and give it a dry finish. Some spices come out as it warms. The mouthfeel is medium with sparkly carbonation.

Overall, a nice dessert beer. I think I prefer the Danish version slightly - it's a little more complex. I do like the decadent flavors of this version a little more though even though they are not as complex. The aroma in this one was not very present compared to the Danish. And this one is thinner. While both are dessert type beers, they are quite a bit different. (876 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -9.2%

A- Pours a smooth velvety black hue. A creamy, oak head adorns this dark brew fading to blankets of lacing.

S- Aroma is rich and deeply earthy with spicy alcohol tones that tickle the nose.

T- Very balanced spice with undertones of dark chocolate and some coffee. Alcohol hides behind curtains of mixed lighter fruits. Pleasantly warms as it creeps towards the stomach.

M- Silky smooth with bubbles that seem to dance on the tongue long after the sip is swallowed.

D- A brew to sip on and respect. While it could be cloying and alcohol heavy in large amounts, one bottle is just enough. (591 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -4.6%

Bottle @ City Beer Store. Dark brown with a small ruby head and tight carbonation. Aromas of various spices and heavy duty German style maltings. Star anise, fennel, and licorice come to my mind, and upon first sip they also hit my palate. Kinda chocolate-y yet not really.. there is some Cinnamon flavors in here as well. Mouthfeel is creamy, but not too thick or over the top. Drinkability is good, but I could not drink this one all night as the spices would definately get to me after awhile. Nice one. (506 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured an almost thick dark brown, with a medium head and excellent lacing.
The aroma was amazing; malty and spicy for sure but seemed more complex and better-balanced than many quads I've had. Sweet chocolate and raisin, mild spice and sweet/caramel malt. There is more going on here but it is so subtle its hard for me to nail down.
Caraml malt and brown sugar in the taste, along with roasted grain and raisin. Alochol is there but not very strong, which is interesting considering the ABV. Also a lto going on here, but very very well balanced.
Pretty full-bodied, with mild carbonation and a very smooth feel.
Overall a fantastic quad; the 10% ABV might limit the number you have, but even drinking one is an almost religious experience. (742 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

From notes... 2006 bottle.

Dark, deep brown in color... near black with a 1/4" tan head. Very tight bubbles and an excellent swirl.

Malty on the nose and somewhat chocolately. Has a spicy licorice/anise aroma... very good. Raisin and cinnamon notes with a bourbonny caramel and maple background. Excellent.

Mouthfeel is thick, creamy and silky. Perfect.

Nice caramel flavor on the tongue with maple candy... a touch nutty... bits of alcohol... a lot of fig and molasses. (474 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +12.5%

As a German beer fan that's trying to branch out, this beer speaks to me.
I'd classify this as a "malt bomb" I can't get enough of.
Pours a dark tan/brown with a moderate, but not giant head. I've received warnings that this one can have a rocky head like some golden ales, but mine wasn't too bad. Looks a little like chocolate milk with a head.
Smell/Taste: I'm going to blend these two as I find the nose and taste to actually be in unison. Chocolate, malted milk balls, caramel, raisins, nutmeg, dried cherries, and even a little hops in the finish. There's a tiny bit of heat from the alcohol, but it feels much less potent than it is. I've had plenty of quads including the Trappist offerings, but I put this one atop the list easily. I don't think it has the fruitier flavors some of those do, but I think it captures all of the malty goodness I like from a good doppelbock...but with a heartier body and a little zest.
I split the 11.5oz bottle with my wife and was VERY tempted to open a second bottle or even give the Danish version at try immediately. I wanted more for sure.
I give this beer one of my highest recommendations. I honestly think this is one of my top 3-4 beers. (1,188 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

a: Deep dark amber red when held up to the light. So dark it is almost opaque. Pours with a huge tan head that lingered for a long time.

s: Subtle and difficult to decipher, as no one element asserts itself. Alcohol is noticeable, with some earthy spices. Yeast, and perhaps some cherries?

t: Wow, I don't know where to begin. Some cherries up front followed by a savory earthy yeast flavor. Hops are present at the end as more of a tingle on the tongue than an actual flavor. This beer transitions perfectly starting small and subtle before reaching a flavor crescendo over a period of several seconds. Sublime.

m: The thick almost syrupy texture, along with the foaming carbonation, convey the flavors perfectly.

d: This is a sipper for sure, but don't linger to long. As the carbonation fades this beer diminishes a bit. I'll certainly be getting a lot more of this one. (877 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

Thanks to Joe1510 for this beauty.

Pours deep, deep brown/black with maybe a hint of ruby. Or I'm making that up. Head is not terribly thick, maybe a finger and a half, but boy does it have legs. If I left this out all night I'd expect there to be a thin film of head still hanging out in the morning.

Smell is rich and complex... figs, raisins, pumpernickel, dark, dark chocolate, toasted bread, a little bit of nutmeg.

Taste... ah the taste. Changes as it warms, this was definitely a bit too cold to start off, with brought an astringent, bitter edge and brought coffee and chocolate to the fore. Both those flavors start to regress a little bit, and the fig/raisin/currant really comes forward as it warms. At room temperature there is still a spicy, herbal bitterness that helps balance the increased sweetness. Alcohol is barely there, only showing up as additional richness and just a hint of warmth in the chest. Delicious. Really reminds me of port, and I really prefer it room temp with the carbonation lessened.

Smooth, creamy, full bodied mouth.

Only knock the drinkability a little bit as the sweetness is a tad cloying as it opens up. Not terribly detrimental, but a little less than incredibly pleasing. Quads are not something I'm always terribly in the mood for, but with plans starting to take form for a trip to Belgium, and with my incredible experience with Rochefort 10 (not reviewed yet) I figured it was time to start searching some out. This reminded me a lot of St. Berny's Abt 12 on tap (the only way I've had it), and while it's a tasty brew, in the future I would almost prefer to share one of these bottles with dessert.

Seek it out. (1,669 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

I do not think I have had a quad in a while and decided to make this one my next sampling of the style.

Pours a dark, dark cherry brown color with a frothy brown head resting on top. Almost poured over the top of the snifter even with a careful pour. Eventually that head dissolves down to a thin film. Nose is mostly candy sweetness but it is concealing some slight alcohol heat.

Flavor is perfect for the style. Everything ncely balanced and nothing over-the-top. Loads of malts and candied sugars. Caramel and toffee. Loads of fruit too--dark cherries, plums and prunes. All nicely rubbing shoulders with the next flavor. Just enoug heat from the alcohol to make this a great end-of-the-night drink. Soothing and relaxing. (728 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +7.2%

The 330ml brown bottle gives up its deep murky brown treasure, which produces a tan head that fades rather quickly, leaving a thin covering upon the glass. The aroma of plums and spices stands out amongst the cotton candy sweetness, caramel, and a smattering of bread dough and fusel alcohol, bit of oak like sourness also breaks through, what a treat for the schnozzle. Front is decidedly sweet, grain presence perfect, bit of burnt toast and a hint of bitterness at the back, mouth feel almost full. Finish benign in its acidity, hops light but noticeable, alcohol well disguised, that’s scary, very dry, reminds me of the 7 year old Samichlaus I sampled the other day, this brew is a real tummy warmer, and also gets a “Whoa Nellie” from me. (747 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

An ale brewed with spices in 2006.

This bottle foamed up on me a bit, but I managed to catch things in my snifter. Pours a very deep ruby red with a creamy thin ecru head. Good head retention and even leaves lacing behind. Served at room temperature.

Smells of booze, spice and fruits. Quite complex. There are hints of caramel, raisin, cherry, yeast, cinnamon, sweet malt, and a whisper of booze. Everything is well balanced. Neither too much or too little of anything. Well done.

Taste exceeds the nose only because of the otherwordly consistency. Caramel asserts itself a bit more and creates a nice mix with the hint of raisin and spices. Finishes dry with a flare of spice and alcohol, but everything is subtle and well in check. Its on the sweeter side, but balanced out with the spices and slight tartness. Neither cloying nor over spiced, just right. Truly stunning.

Dangerously drinkable and if it weren't for the price I might drink it all day without a care for the alcohol content. Certainly give this a try if you find it available. Very near perfection. (1,071 characters)

Found this one at Brusin' Ales in Asheville. Was surprised to see it listed so high on BA. Let's see what this is aboot...

Fills my chalice with a dirty looking brown-red, half inch tan head that has good staying power. Looks unfiltered and frankly, muddy.

I'm getting the usual dark Belgian malts, roasty and sugary, with some prunes, but wait! There's an unusual spicy, citrus smell here and a pronounced mustiness. I can only describe it as an old damp attic. The alcohol lies low and isn't hot like some (Rochefort 10).

The flavor is... well good. But just good. It's mostly malty sweetness, with tart cherries, prunes, raisins, and that odd musty old shop quality. As for spices, I'm picking up nutmeg and maybe some lemon rind. A semi-dry alcoholic bite rounds this off.

Mouthfeel is smooth with middling carbonation. The finish is a lingering spiced-prune malty sweet.

Pannepot is different and pretty tasty, but I've had better Quads. The musty flavor isn't really my bag and the spice's could've been a little more pronounced. This would make a good Christmas beer, I think, but for regular Quad drinkin' days, give me Rochefort or St. Bernie. (1,157 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It pours an impassibly murky and carbonated melted-dark-chocolate brown. Three fingers of sumptuously fluffy tan head seem alive as it slowly dwindles. There's not lacing so much as there's a textured fine-bubbled film on the inside of the glass.

The aroma is notably malty and sweet, with currants and earthy cookie dough. Esters are plentiful, with clove and a pointed green apple crispness buoyed by a hint of hoppy dryness. Alcohol is present but tractable.

Upon sipping, admittedly with much anticipation, a dense malt sweetness boasts raisins and brown sugar, along with molasses and a yeasty drive of esters yielding up clove, licorice, and even sassafras. A pat of dry hops moves forward partnered with dates, a twist of cola, and a warm, babbling brook of alcohol. Candy sugar, anise, black pepper, and cocoa are only marginally crisped by a last ditch ester effort. Complex, blended, and delicious- what a righteous trio.

Full bodied, it's syrupy and lip-smacking, leaving a sinewy slather of slick saporous delight.

It takes a truly special beer to be this busy and yet also be so effortless to enjoy. What a pleasing example of blended, crafted, complex elements. The plus-sized ABV isn't sneaky, but the bold flavor makes it at best a tertiary concern, and so it bears watching, because it drinks smooth and willingly. If this is what they brew for fishermen in Belgium, well, I'm baiting my hook and flying east. And soon. (1,443 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

a - deep dark brown with burgundy highlights, huge tan head with great retention and good lacing

s - big malty and spicy aroma, dark fruit, plum, black cherry and raisin soaked in rum, booziness is nicely incorporated, some sweet caramel and toffee accents thrown in as well

t - really nice cherry cola taste up front along with an intense maltiness and indistinguishable spice combination, mid-palate is caramelly and sweet with dark fruits, finish is mildly sweet and malty with some booziness, the finish really engulfs the entire palate

m - medium-bodied, low carbonation, finish is sweet but also dries out the palate b/c of the alcohol

d - pretty drinkable for a big 10% quad, very interesting but one, possibly two 330ml bottles would be enough

Excellent beer from De Stuise...worthy of all the praise bestowed upon it. Incredibly complex and interesting taste. Well worth seeking out. I tasted it side-by-side with the Danish version an while the Danish version is good, it' s not as subtle and complex as this version. (1,032 characters)

Pannepot from De Struise Brouwers