2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Aardmonnik - Earthmonk - De Struise Brouwers

Aardmonnik - EarthmonkAardmonnik - Earthmonk

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  8.00% ABV

Brewed and bottled on the Deca Brewery in Woesten-Vleteren.

Oud Vlaams Bruin - Blend 30% Old & 70% New

EBC:52, IBU:15, OG:1078, FG:1018, ABV:??
Hops: Bramling Cross, Hallertau MF

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-14-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next › last »
Ratings: 254 | Reviews: 174 | Show All Ratings:
Wadsey

Indiana

3.2/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Aardmonnik - Earthmonk 2008

Served in New Belgium globe glass

A: Pours the deepest of amber with no head. Backlighting the glass, I see it has great clarity but no effervescence. Incidentally, no head and no effervescence were foreshadowed by the lightest pfzz imaginable when I opened the bottle. Mouthfeel, look out.

S: Balsamic vinegar and nail polish remover singe nose hairs. Lots of dark and dried fruits, too--plums, prunes, and currants. Additional scents include wood, faint soy sauce and alcohol.  The lack of carbonation hurts smell in that the aromas are not being forced into the air and fade significantly in a couple minutes.

T: Time to take plunge. Very sweet, but not cloying. Vinegar and acetone are more subtle than I expected. Dark and dried fruits run the show. Vinous, for sure. My first taste was ruined by a jarring off-note of wet dog that disappears with quick sips but returns somewhat after a lull. Finish consists of dark fruitiness and acetone.

M: Medium body that reads higher because of lightest of carbonation levels. Vinous mouthfeel.

O: Aardmonik is an oddball.  Tastes like a Belgian take on mediocre Kuhnhenn beer. Big, interesting and enjoyable, more or less.

Thanks to phishisphunk for the opportunity!

08-01-2011 02:42:08 | More by Wadsey
homebrew311

3.18/5  rDev -19.7%

A: pours a deep maroon with seemingly zero carbonation, no head, sparse bubbles, decent clarity

S: nose is a vinegar bomb, heavy lactic undertones followed by tannins, some hints of Merlot in there, red grapes and cherries present as well

T: like the nose, the taste is heavy with vinegar, tartness pairs with a syrupy sweetness, lacking a bit in the balance department, finishes way too sweet

MF: syrupy body, low carbonation

O: this is certainly a new take on a Flanders Red, however, the flavors never quite balance each other out

12-12-2011 04:14:01 | More by homebrew311
seaoflament

3.15/5  rDev -20.5%

Huge thanks to hoppymeal for the opportunity to try this beer. Small 33cl bottle released in 2008; best before date of 07/10

The color of the beer is quite dark looking in the glass, dark with some wet oak highlights around the edges. A few bubbles gathered at the surface for a few moments but never really collected as a head. A swirl of the glass does produce a more decent ring.

As soon as I cracked the top I got a vinous aroma with hints of grape and vinegar. More vinegar as I poured but also sweet malt, cherries, strawberries, vanilla, oak, and grape jam. Very fruity aroma with various berries and sweet plums. Caramel, chocolate, and hints of coffee hide behind the fruity background. Smells a bit like toast and jam. Complex and delicate. After leaving the beer breathe for about 5 minutes it begins to reveal some apple notes, sugary candy, and a little lemon twist.

Argh! The first sip is rather intense, huge vinegar and apple flavor, oak, toast, a bit of tartness followed by the malt sweetness and some bitterness which I don't know where it came from. The finish does seem to be a little calmer with notes of chocolate, fruits, and berries. I'm a little more prepared for the second sip but it's still quite acetic and thin. Oak and vanilla flavors mid-palate, apples and toasted malts in the finish. Even as it warms up, the vinous, oak, and vinegar flavors don't tone down and with the lack of carbonation it makes it a little difficult to drink. The last few sips have a taste of iron (blood).

The beer enters a little thick and syrupy but by mid palate it turns thin, watery, and lacks carbonation in the finish.

****update May 2009***

Second time trying this beer was at Lost Abbey's 3rd Anniversary Party on 5-9-09. From a 750ml bottle, and probably an 06/07 vintage.

Better than the fresh bottle I reviewed. Still a good amount of vinegar and metallic/iron flavors but balanced with an increase sourness and puckering effect. Much more drinkable and enjoyable. More dryness in the finish as well. Very complex, there just seemed to be layer on top of layer in aroma and flavor.

If I were to score the 750ml bottle it would be something like:
4/4.5/4/4/4 A-

01-26-2009 03:47:33 | More by seaoflament
ehammond1

3.15/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle (2008)

Thanks for the gift, JealousChalice!

Dark brown and dark ruby in color with very little, practically zero, visible carbonation. This leaves the glass clean on the way down.

Nice aroma, with good amounts of sour cherries and sweet malt, along with earthy toffee, and oak.

The flavor is nice enough, though is significantly hurt by the lack of carbonation. There's decent amount of tart cherry, sour, vinegar, and wood flavor, but the carbonation makes this one tougher to drink than it should be.

Medium bodied with no carbonation.

The lack of carbonation holds this back from being significantly better.

06-29-2012 04:04:21 | More by ehammond1
badbeer

Iowa

3.1/5  rDev -21.7%

Thanks to iowaherkeye. Murky brown color with a white head; interesting retention to it. Smell was mostly sour, but some sweet caramel and cherry seemed to come in as well. Sourness and oak in the taste, but unfortunately there was also some metallic flavors too. Maybe I'm missing the big deal with this one, but it just wasn't that great to me.

07-18-2008 00:21:34 | More by badbeer
Damian

Drank from a 33 cl bottle
EM No.7
Served in a tulip
Best before A 08 11
Acquired in a trade with barleywinebrewer

What awesome bottle artwork. Hieronymus Bosch I presume? As for the beer, it poured a deep, dark mahogany color with a bubbly, sudsy, light tan cap of froth that quickly dissipated.

The aroma was complex and rather interesting. Tart and sweet with a vinous, winey quality typically found within the style. Ripe fruits including red grapes and bing cherries dominated. Rich and malty with an earthy oakiness. A hint of alcohol was noticeable as well.

The taste was very unusual. I have tried beers that taste like wine but this one takes the cake in that department. A touch malty and semi-sweet up front before the beer turned sour and vinous. Tart and fruity. Oaky, grapey and earthy in the center. Somewhat sherry-like. The long, drawn out finish was quite tannic and woody with a somewhat harsh, acidic quality that reminded me of balsamic vinegar.

The mouthfeel was slightly watery with a minimal amount of carbonation. This beer had a dry, tannic nature that was (again) reminiscent of a red wine.

Drinkability was moderate. The sharp, harsh, acidic quality of this beer was difficult to take in large doses. As for the alcohol content, it was well masked initially. Toward the beer's end however, it became quite noticeable (particularly on the finish).

This was one strange brew. In every aspect, it definitely seemed more like a wine (a cheap, young merlot mixed with a bit of sherry, to be exact) than a beer. This may not have been my cup of tea, but I would love to give it to my wine loving friends who have yet to try a beer they like.

10-08-2009 02:07:48 | More by Damian
phishisphunk

Indiana

Recently received in a trade from Oregone, thank you Trevor. Served from the 33 cl bottle at cellar temp into a tulip. Lot A, best by 07/11.

A: This one pours a deep, murky brown, with minimal head, even with an aggressive pour. Hints of red hues can be found along the edge when held up to the light. Thin, spotty, bubbly lacing is left around the glass. This one sits very still.

S: The nose is a bouquet of red wine and balsamic vinegar, wet leather, and oxidized fruits leading into a soy sauce aroma.

T: I'm initially surprised by the chocolate back bone of this brew. Smooth, creamy milk chocolate is followed by soy sauce and finished with a lingering tart cherry sourness. The sourness rounds out the palate and acts to lift the initial chocolate rush quickly off the tongue. The finish had a short-lived vinegar flavor that overpowers the tart cherry offering. I don't really detect any Belgian spiciness, which I think is due to the 8% ABV which really kicks up the sour/vinegar finish.

M: The mouthfeel is creamy and heavy which provides a port like quality.

O: I'm between and betwixt on this one. Nothing really stands out on it. I'm lead to believe that A. this beer is past its prime secondary to the oxidized flavors and aromas, or B. I'm consuming a bad batch. The 8% ABV is evidently noticeable on the finish and lends a warming feeling long after. I would really like to try a fresh batch as I'm lead to an inclination that at some point in the lifespan of this beer is a world class Flanders Oud Bruin. Will certainly seek out again.

05-14-2011 23:04:44 | More by phishisphunk
MbpBugeye

2.93/5  rDev -26%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Big thanks to ShogoKawada for just giving me this beer. It's been a long time want.

2008, poured into the equally as wanted and generously free Fantome tulip (thanks again Shogo!)

Appearance
At first I feared that this bottle was flat. As I poured, only loose air bubbles formed, so I adjusted my pour and still didn't achieve a head. Then, slowly and quite delayed, carbonation fizzled up from within the dark plum colored beer. Almost like a nitro pour. It soon fades, leaving the beer looking flat. I do, at least, enjoy the deep color of this beer.

Aroma
Nice notes of booze soaked cherries. It sort of reminds me of a much less potent batch of cherry jungle juice. Some darker notes begin to come out, such as chocolate and lots of oak. The oak is both funky and dank. There is a spike of sharp, but clean alcohol.

Taste
Not incredibly sour, but there is a fair amount of acidity. There is an intensely tannic quality here. Its like someone threw sour cherry skins, sour plum skins, sour grapes and oak all into a blender. It really takes some time to adjust to. Its aggressively tannic. There are flashes of weird metallic and vodka notes, but the flavor profile is pretty enjoyable when those are not being picked up.

Mouthfeel
Extremely low on carbonation, but its by no means flat. The body is quite full, causing the beer to fall lethargically on the palate. Its slick, with only a slightly dry finish.

Overall
Woah, this stuff is weird. I'm not sure that this one is for me. But I would wager that this is closer to a real Oud Bruin than some of the miscategorized brown American wilds. The beer is heavy on the palate, with its full body and low carbonation. It also has some very unusual flavors and aromas.

06-09-2011 03:12:38 | More by MbpBugeye
djmichaelk

2.68/5  rDev -32.3%

330cl bottle direct from Struise, into a snifter. 2008 vintage. Part of a personal high-end beer tasting.

A - The pour is a clouded, reddish-brown, with no head whatsoever. Looking like another flat beer for me -- this is my third in a row today. *sigh*

S - Balsamic vinegar, tart cherry, and acetic acid. Something tells me that my tummy is not going to be happy later. It's nice enough, though, and is good for a oude bruin.

T - Right away I feel like it's got as much malt vinegar as balsamic. The cherry is not as bright as the nose made me think, but it's fairly strong on the finish. Very little apparent alcohol considering it's 8%. One gripe is that there's maybe a little acetone -- not as much as the Vuja De bottle that I had, but enough that it's there. Without that it'd be slightly above average, but it's going to lose a bit point-wise for it.

M - The lack of carbonation is killing me here. It's not completely flat, but there's VERY little going on, and it absolutely kills the feel in this style. It's crying out for some bubbles.

O - I'm not all that happy about this one. I was really looking forward to it, but I really had to struggle to get through the (small, expensive) bottle. The flavors just aren't good enough to overcome the lack of carbonation.

06-05-2011 20:09:26 | More by djmichaelk
JAXSON

2.55/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Early 2010 rate.

From a 33cl bottle. Pours a turbid deep brown/black with the tiniest wisp of a head. Nose is really heavy on various types of vinegar. Grape must and wet earth creep out. A nice musty leather, tobacco element. Boozy and a bit thin in the mouth with a major vinegar burn at the finish. Just not into this. It has some deep complexities going on, but that vinegar is over the top. I don't care if it's even to style or not. I love sour beers and I love many Oud Bruins, but not this.

I've learned since that a run of these bottles were apparently pretty bad. That's the batch I got, not sure where this went wrong, but it was way off.

12-24-2010 02:00:15 | More by JAXSON
Jeffo

Netherlands

2.53/5  rDev -36.1%

Got this one at the schoolhouse a while back. Not sure about the style, but know I love the brewery. Let's give 'er a go.

From a bottle into my Struise glass.
Vintage: 2008

APPEARANCE: Pours a bubbly little head. Basically flat. Tan colored bubbles and a light wisp eventually forms. Sienna brown body with no carbonation evident. A slight ring remains but leaves no lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Lots of raspberries, some cherries, with a light touch of vinegar and acidic stuff in the background. Some definite grape juice in there as well. Quite fruity with a vinegary base.

TASTE: Follows the nose. Some red fruits, like raspberries and cherries up front, with a definite acidic vinegar flavor at the swallow. Grape juice comes out as well, and some notes of sweet candy sugar. Medium aftertaste is sour, acidic, with some nice red fruits and grape juice through it all. I'm honestly not sure if I love or hate this.

PALATE: Fuller body, but almost completely flat. A touch of carbonation keeps it from feeling like juice, but it's not far off. Goes down fine and finishes rather sticky. Disappointing here.

OVERALL: Like I said above, I'm not sure if I love this or hate it. It's probably somewhere in between. It's flavorful, interesting, and complex enough to make it enjoayable, but I'm not sure if this is really my style. In any case, the carbonation needs to be figured out, as this is a little too flat even for this style. Either way, this is a quality beer by a quality brewer, so if you're a fan of the style, this will probably be your thing.

08-28-2012 20:02:49 | More by Jeffo
DavoleBomb

2.38/5  rDev -39.9%

Poured into a tulip. Best before date of 27/04/2016. Big thanks to SteveFinny for this.

3.0 A: Pours a completely still brownish black color.

2.0 S: Reeks of balsalmic vinegar and tart cherries. Deeply acetic and powerful. Moderate acetone and mild soy sauce. Molasses and a good bit of vinousness. The more you smell it, the more it grows on you. I'm not sure if I love it or hate it, but I could do without the acetone.

2.5 T: The taste is just as forceful as the nose. This starts out with a marriage between the balsalmic vinegar and the acetone. Cherries follow next. Tobacco and soy sauce after that. Molasses, vinous grape, and a bit of oak.

2.0 M: Medium body. Almost no carbonation. Almost slick. Can't say this is very smooth.

2.5 D: This is wholely unrefined. I'm okay with the sourness and the balsalmic flavors. Hell, sometimes I'll pour a quarter ounce of balsalmic vinegar into a snifter just to sip on. But, the acetone is really offputting. I guess a few too many bug species got in there. This would be a lot better if a few things were different, but such it is as it is. Super complex and powerful, but just not that good.

08-11-2012 23:35:16 | More by DavoleBomb
mhewes

Colorado

2.35/5  rDev -40.7%

A : Pours a very dark brown with absolutely no head

S : There was a good dark fruit aroma along with some sourness

T : Vinegar sour throughout the bottle. For me, it overwhelmed any other flavors in the beer so much that they were almost impossible to pick out. Really disappointing.

M : Extremely syrupy, no carbonation

D : I was extremely disappointed with this one. I've got no plans to seek this one out again.

11-17-2008 16:26:06 | More by mhewes
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

2.35/5  rDev -40.7%

2008 into lost abbey tulip. $13/bttl shipped, thanks to the struise webshop!

A- Hard pour leaves a 1/2 cm of big tan bubbles. Slowly settles to a nice outer ring.

S- Lots of oak, balsamic vinegar, cherries.

T- Big dark malt sweetness and hardcore sour cherry tartness. Vinegar is here, just underneath the surface. Intense, strong, lingering flavors. I taste some copper and earthy notess as it warms..

M- Tart enough to where it's like licking a battery with some cherry coughdrops in your mouth. Carbonation is low, but suitable. It's just a tongue-twisting beer.

O- Meh. Will prob. pass along my other bottles. Too much going on- and it doesn't really come together.

05-30-2011 02:24:54 | More by ShogoKawada
black13

Oregon

2.35/5  rDev -40.7%

A vigorous pour into my Dogfish Head Signature glass produced no head or bubbles. The color can best be descibed as "flat Coke". I can appeciate a beer that has no head or carbonation, but the flavor and aroma better be good.

Right off the bat I pick up a strong balsamic vinegar aroma. This is an aroma I really enjoy, so I had high hopes. With a bit more time, I also pick up some dried fruit, some spices, but no sweetness to speak of.

There is a bit of a tartness to this, but once the dominant flavor of metal kicks in, I cannot pick up anything else. I let this one sit for awhile hoping this would go away, but that was not the case. Drink after drink all I could get was some funked up metal taste that seemed to linger for far too long.

Dispite the lack of carbonation, there was a fair amount of body to this beer. I would call it medium body.

Overall, this is not the beer for me. I would have loved a mouth puckering taste that was reminiscent in the aroma, but all I got was metal. It reminded me of when I was a kid and had a mouth full of pennies. Only this time, I didn't get any money after the experience.

06-29-2011 17:27:44 | More by black13
Sixpoint

2.3/5  rDev -41.9%

I understand the avant garde shit, but this one was way off the mark.

Tasted like malt vinegar syrup over-aged in fresh oak. For real. Decent and promising burgundy tone in the glass, but a faint whiff of sourness in the nose that leaves me slightly unnerved...

Pretty damn weak. Too sour; too vinegar, not enough "funk" in those guitars to make these that coool 70s sound. Really just rather amateurish, imho.

Biggest flaw actually is the complete lack of carbonation. If you make cask-style ale, you best be cuttin back on the residual sugars. Otherwise, you're basically drinking a 12 oz. bottle of malt schnapps.

Overhyped beer, mostly due to its lack of availability (which is typical, imho). I'll take a ubiquitous Sierra Nevada Pale Ale over this ANYDAY.

HANDS DOWN.

good night ;-)

02-14-2009 03:21:19 | More by Sixpoint
womencantsail

2.28/5  rDev -42.4%

Thanks to LtDan for providing me with a taste of this. I had heard these bottles weren't so great, but I had to see for myself.

A: The pour is innocent enough. A slightly clouded brown color with a minimal off-white head.

S: A strong acetic character is immediately present in the nose. A bit of dark fruits, cherries for the most part, and a bit of sweetness.

T: The taste is of balsamic vinegar, and not in a good way. A strong oak component along with some earthiness. A bit of sweetness as well, but overall not good.

M: The body is medium with a very light carbonation.

D: Needless to say I was very disappointed by this beer. I was hoping that it would be as enjoyable as most of the other Struise beers are, but this one is just not good.

05-25-2010 17:37:05 | More by womencantsail
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

2.28/5  rDev -42.4%

Bottle courtesy of Sweemzander in honor of my wedding. Split into tulips with like minded beer geeks.

A: Dark blood red/brown. No head or lace. Looks like a glass of prune juice actually.

S: Booze infused soy sauce and balsamic vinegar. There is a tartness to the aroma but it doesn't do much while being overpowered by the salad dressing aspect.

T: The comparison to a salad topping doesn't stop at the nose. Modest amount of sour cherry with a heavy dose of soy sauce and vinegar. A bit of chocolate and coffee comes through as it warms.

M: Flat and thin body.

O: This one was a huge let down for me. I was expecting something more from this brewer. Glad I never plunked down the coin to have some shipped to me.

08-27-2011 23:38:22 | More by beerwolf77
xnicknj

1.95/5  rDev -50.8%

330mL bottle poured into taster glass - thanks alex

Pours a slightly opaque reddish color with some almost brown hues. No head or lacing.

Pretty much smells like easter egg dye. Acidic and lactic with a vinegary burn. Some light cherry fruit flavor and oak, I suppose.

Sour and acidic up front. Vinegar and nail polish remover pretty much wreck the profile. There's a few notes of cherry, raisin, and dates, but its tough to get past the vinegar. Lingers on the tongue for an uncomfortable amount of time.

Thin, flat, and tepid on the tongue. Lingering acidic vinegar ruined my palate for at least an hour after this. Apparently there's some variation between vintages, but this one was awful. Avoid.

12-05-2011 22:08:20 | More by xnicknj
Arbitrator

1.93/5  rDev -51.3%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by alfrantzell, courtesy of ShogoKawada. Thanks men.

A: Pours a clear maroon body.

S: Vinegar (strong), brown sugar (mild), cherries, cinnamon.

T: A one-note flavor of vinegar dominates, with mild sweetness bringing up the rear, as truckers say. In the exhalation I get a note of cherries and something spicy, which I think is cinnamon but don't care to find out.

M: Very thin, watery, unsatisfying. Falls off the tongue.

O: I really don't like Struise, and this is another great example why. Unremarkable, boring... bleh.

07-04-2011 02:43:13 | More by Arbitrator
Bendurgin

Maine

1.73/5  rDev -56.3%

Thanks for this excellent extra Sean. You hooked it up sir. Split into two chalices. Pours a muddy cola brown with a bubbly little head that settles to nothing. This simply looks like cola.

Very aggressive malt vinnegar aroma. Plain and simple. The tast is sweet apple cider vinnegar with dirt. Somehow that is better than the aroma.

The carbonation is low here. Bordering on flat and the body is some what light. Overall, simply terrible. De Struise should be ashamed.

09-26-2011 02:08:10 | More by Bendurgin
AgentZero

1.7/5  rDev -57.1%

Thanks to Spycow for sharing this, new bottle he recently acquired.

A - Cola colored, no real head. Looks kind of lifeless and dead.

S - What is this, salad dressing? Huge balsamic vinegar with some sweet caramel and fruit. This isn't promising at all.

T - The only thing that would taste more like drinking straight balsamic vinegar than this is actually drinking straight balsamic vinegar. This can't possibly be what anyone was going for. The sweetness from the fruit and sugar/caramel actually makes it kind of sickly tasting and worse.

M - Not really any carbonation, medium bodied. This is not helping the beer.

O - This was horrible and hard to drink. Bad bottles? Bad batch? Whatever it is, I'm going to use a taster to screen all bottles of this for me from now on, as I have no desire to be subjected to this again.

07-11-2011 18:16:37 | More by AgentZero
Overlord

1.63/5  rDev -58.8%

This is one seriously overrated beer. It's really, really bad. Not disappointing, not below par, not "not what I expected," this is a flat out bad beer.

Pours a muddy brown color. Zero head.

Smells like balsamic vinegar aged in oak with an awful metallic and plastic earthiness. Wow. Not like any beer of this style I've had before. Just a wretched mess. The earthy/oak component is not well integrated with the vinegar, malt base, and I have no idea what the metallic aftertaste is. The plastic, almost ... chemical ... flavor is offputting.

Tough to finish even half a bottle. Completely flat. For a beer with this low of an ABV and a lighter, more moderate mouthfeel, unforgivable.

04-29-2010 18:09:13 | More by Overlord
andrewinski1

New Hampshire

1.48/5  rDev -62.6%

Small bottle shared by Bendurgin. Thanks! Poured into a chalice. The color is dark brown kind of prune juice colored. There is a little bit of white lacing.

The aroma is very strong with apple cider vinegar. This doesn't smell like beer, it smells like acid.

The taste is mildly sweet with some cherry fruit flavor, surprisingly. There is a slightly tart aftertaste. There is just a harsh acidity all the way through.

This is light and the carbonation is smooth. Still not a good part of this beer.

Truly terrible.