Aardmonnik - Earthmonk - De Struise Brouwers

Aardmonnik - EarthmonkAardmonnik - Earthmonk

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  8.00% ABV

Brewed and bottled on the Deca Brewery in Woesten-Vleteren.

Oud Vlaams Bruin - Blend 30% Old & 70% New

EBC:52, IBU:15, OG:1078, FG:1018, ABV:??
Hops: Bramling Cross, Hallertau MF

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-14-2006)
1.48/5  rDev -62.4%

Small bottle shared by Bendurgin. Thanks! Poured into a chalice. The color is dark brown kind of prune juice colored. There is a little bit of white lacing.

The aroma is very strong with apple cider vinegar. This doesn't smell like beer, it smells like acid.

The taste is mildly sweet with some cherry fruit flavor, surprisingly. There is a slightly tart aftertaste. There is just a harsh acidity all the way through.

This is light and the carbonation is smooth. Still not a good part of this beer.

Truly terrible.

andrewinski1, Sep 26, 2011
1.63/5  rDev -58.6%

This is one seriously overrated beer. It's really, really bad. Not disappointing, not below par, not "not what I expected," this is a flat out bad beer.

Pours a muddy brown color. Zero head.

Smells like balsamic vinegar aged in oak with an awful metallic and plastic earthiness. Wow. Not like any beer of this style I've had before. Just a wretched mess. The earthy/oak component is not well integrated with the vinegar, malt base, and I have no idea what the metallic aftertaste is. The plastic, almost ... chemical ... flavor is offputting.

Tough to finish even half a bottle. Completely flat. For a beer with this low of an ABV and a lighter, more moderate mouthfeel, unforgivable.

Overlord, Apr 29, 2010
1.7/5  rDev -56.9%

Thanks to Spycow for sharing this, new bottle he recently acquired.

A - Cola colored, no real head. Looks kind of lifeless and dead.

S - What is this, salad dressing? Huge balsamic vinegar with some sweet caramel and fruit. This isn't promising at all.

T - The only thing that would taste more like drinking straight balsamic vinegar than this is actually drinking straight balsamic vinegar. This can't possibly be what anyone was going for. The sweetness from the fruit and sugar/caramel actually makes it kind of sickly tasting and worse.

M - Not really any carbonation, medium bodied. This is not helping the beer.

O - This was horrible and hard to drink. Bad bottles? Bad batch? Whatever it is, I'm going to use a taster to screen all bottles of this for me from now on, as I have no desire to be subjected to this again.

AgentZero, Jul 11, 2011
1.73/5  rDev -56.1%

Thanks for this excellent extra Sean. You hooked it up sir. Split into two chalices. Pours a muddy cola brown with a bubbly little head that settles to nothing. This simply looks like cola.

Very aggressive malt vinnegar aroma. Plain and simple. The tast is sweet apple cider vinnegar with dirt. Somehow that is better than the aroma.

The carbonation is low here. Bordering on flat and the body is some what light. Overall, simply terrible. De Struise should be ashamed.

Bendurgin, Sep 26, 2011
1.93/5  rDev -51%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by alfrantzell, courtesy of ShogoKawada. Thanks men.

A: Pours a clear maroon body.

S: Vinegar (strong), brown sugar (mild), cherries, cinnamon.

T: A one-note flavor of vinegar dominates, with mild sweetness bringing up the rear, as truckers say. In the exhalation I get a note of cherries and something spicy, which I think is cinnamon but don't care to find out.

M: Very thin, watery, unsatisfying. Falls off the tongue.

O: I really don't like Struise, and this is another great example why. Unremarkable, boring... bleh.

Arbitrator, Jul 04, 2011
1.95/5  rDev -50.5%

330mL bottle poured into taster glass - thanks alex

Pours a slightly opaque reddish color with some almost brown hues. No head or lacing.

Pretty much smells like easter egg dye. Acidic and lactic with a vinegary burn. Some light cherry fruit flavor and oak, I suppose.

Sour and acidic up front. Vinegar and nail polish remover pretty much wreck the profile. There's a few notes of cherry, raisin, and dates, but its tough to get past the vinegar. Lingers on the tongue for an uncomfortable amount of time.

Thin, flat, and tepid on the tongue. Lingering acidic vinegar ruined my palate for at least an hour after this. Apparently there's some variation between vintages, but this one was awful. Avoid.

xnicknj, Dec 05, 2011

AleWatcher, Nov 15, 2011

bbadger, Jan 08, 2012

brother_kenneth, Sep 07, 2014
2.28/5  rDev -42.1%

Thanks to LtDan for providing me with a taste of this. I had heard these bottles weren't so great, but I had to see for myself.

A: The pour is innocent enough. A slightly clouded brown color with a minimal off-white head.

S: A strong acetic character is immediately present in the nose. A bit of dark fruits, cherries for the most part, and a bit of sweetness.

T: The taste is of balsamic vinegar, and not in a good way. A strong oak component along with some earthiness. A bit of sweetness as well, but overall not good.

M: The body is medium with a very light carbonation.

D: Needless to say I was very disappointed by this beer. I was hoping that it would be as enjoyable as most of the other Struise beers are, but this one is just not good.

womencantsail, May 25, 2010
2.28/5  rDev -42.1%

Bottle courtesy of Sweemzander in honor of my wedding. Split into tulips with like minded beer geeks.

A: Dark blood red/brown. No head or lace. Looks like a glass of prune juice actually.

S: Booze infused soy sauce and balsamic vinegar. There is a tartness to the aroma but it doesn't do much while being overpowered by the salad dressing aspect.

T: The comparison to a salad topping doesn't stop at the nose. Modest amount of sour cherry with a heavy dose of soy sauce and vinegar. A bit of chocolate and coffee comes through as it warms.

M: Flat and thin body.

O: This one was a huge let down for me. I was expecting something more from this brewer. Glad I never plunked down the coin to have some shipped to me.

beerwolf77, Aug 28, 2011
2.3/5  rDev -41.6%

I understand the avant garde shit, but this one was way off the mark.

Tasted like malt vinegar syrup over-aged in fresh oak. For real. Decent and promising burgundy tone in the glass, but a faint whiff of sourness in the nose that leaves me slightly unnerved...

Pretty damn weak. Too sour; too vinegar, not enough "funk" in those guitars to make these that coool 70s sound. Really just rather amateurish, imho.

Biggest flaw actually is the complete lack of carbonation. If you make cask-style ale, you best be cuttin back on the residual sugars. Otherwise, you're basically drinking a 12 oz. bottle of malt schnapps.

Overhyped beer, mostly due to its lack of availability (which is typical, imho). I'll take a ubiquitous Sierra Nevada Pale Ale over this ANYDAY.

HANDS DOWN.

good night ;-)

Sixpoint, Feb 14, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -40.4%

A vigorous pour into my Dogfish Head Signature glass produced no head or bubbles. The color can best be descibed as "flat Coke". I can appeciate a beer that has no head or carbonation, but the flavor and aroma better be good.

Right off the bat I pick up a strong balsamic vinegar aroma. This is an aroma I really enjoy, so I had high hopes. With a bit more time, I also pick up some dried fruit, some spices, but no sweetness to speak of.

There is a bit of a tartness to this, but once the dominant flavor of metal kicks in, I cannot pick up anything else. I let this one sit for awhile hoping this would go away, but that was not the case. Drink after drink all I could get was some funked up metal taste that seemed to linger for far too long.

Dispite the lack of carbonation, there was a fair amount of body to this beer. I would call it medium body.

Overall, this is not the beer for me. I would have loved a mouth puckering taste that was reminiscent in the aroma, but all I got was metal. It reminded me of when I was a kid and had a mouth full of pennies. Only this time, I didn't get any money after the experience.

black13, Jun 29, 2011
2.35/5  rDev -40.4%

2008 into lost abbey tulip. $13/bttl shipped, thanks to the struise webshop!

A- Hard pour leaves a 1/2 cm of big tan bubbles. Slowly settles to a nice outer ring.

S- Lots of oak, balsamic vinegar, cherries.

T- Big dark malt sweetness and hardcore sour cherry tartness. Vinegar is here, just underneath the surface. Intense, strong, lingering flavors. I taste some copper and earthy notess as it warms..

M- Tart enough to where it's like licking a battery with some cherry coughdrops in your mouth. Carbonation is low, but suitable. It's just a tongue-twisting beer.

O- Meh. Will prob. pass along my other bottles. Too much going on- and it doesn't really come together.

ShogoKawada, May 30, 2011
2.35/5  rDev -40.4%

A : Pours a very dark brown with absolutely no head

S : There was a good dark fruit aroma along with some sourness

T : Vinegar sour throughout the bottle. For me, it overwhelmed any other flavors in the beer so much that they were almost impossible to pick out. Really disappointing.

M : Extremely syrupy, no carbonation

D : I was extremely disappointed with this one. I've got no plans to seek this one out again.

mhewes, Nov 17, 2008
2.38/5  rDev -39.6%

Poured into a tulip. Best before date of 27/04/2016. Big thanks to SteveFinny for this.

3.0 A: Pours a completely still brownish black color.

2.0 S: Reeks of balsalmic vinegar and tart cherries. Deeply acetic and powerful. Moderate acetone and mild soy sauce. Molasses and a good bit of vinousness. The more you smell it, the more it grows on you. I'm not sure if I love it or hate it, but I could do without the acetone.

2.5 T: The taste is just as forceful as the nose. This starts out with a marriage between the balsalmic vinegar and the acetone. Cherries follow next. Tobacco and soy sauce after that. Molasses, vinous grape, and a bit of oak.

2.0 M: Medium body. Almost no carbonation. Almost slick. Can't say this is very smooth.

2.5 D: This is wholely unrefined. I'm okay with the sourness and the balsalmic flavors. Hell, sometimes I'll pour a quarter ounce of balsalmic vinegar into a snifter just to sip on. But, the acetone is really offputting. I guess a few too many bug species got in there. This would be a lot better if a few things were different, but such it is as it is. Super complex and powerful, but just not that good.

DavoleBomb, Aug 12, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -36.5%

jophish17, Dec 18, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -36.5%

tom10101, Jul 23, 2013
2.53/5  rDev -35.8%

Got this one at the schoolhouse a while back. Not sure about the style, but know I love the brewery. Let's give 'er a go.

From a bottle into my Struise glass.
Vintage: 2008

APPEARANCE: Pours a bubbly little head. Basically flat. Tan colored bubbles and a light wisp eventually forms. Sienna brown body with no carbonation evident. A slight ring remains but leaves no lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Lots of raspberries, some cherries, with a light touch of vinegar and acidic stuff in the background. Some definite grape juice in there as well. Quite fruity with a vinegary base.

TASTE: Follows the nose. Some red fruits, like raspberries and cherries up front, with a definite acidic vinegar flavor at the swallow. Grape juice comes out as well, and some notes of sweet candy sugar. Medium aftertaste is sour, acidic, with some nice red fruits and grape juice through it all. I'm honestly not sure if I love or hate this.

PALATE: Fuller body, but almost completely flat. A touch of carbonation keeps it from feeling like juice, but it's not far off. Goes down fine and finishes rather sticky. Disappointing here.

OVERALL: Like I said above, I'm not sure if I love this or hate it. It's probably somewhere in between. It's flavorful, interesting, and complex enough to make it enjoayable, but I'm not sure if this is really my style. In any case, the carbonation needs to be figured out, as this is a little too flat even for this style. Either way, this is a quality beer by a quality brewer, so if you're a fan of the style, this will probably be your thing.

Jeffo, Aug 28, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Early 2010 rate.

From a 33cl bottle. Pours a turbid deep brown/black with the tiniest wisp of a head. Nose is really heavy on various types of vinegar. Grape must and wet earth creep out. A nice musty leather, tobacco element. Boozy and a bit thin in the mouth with a major vinegar burn at the finish. Just not into this. It has some deep complexities going on, but that vinegar is over the top. I don't care if it's even to style or not. I love sour beers and I love many Oud Bruins, but not this.

I've learned since that a run of these bottles were apparently pretty bad. That's the batch I got, not sure where this went wrong, but it was way off.

JAXSON, Dec 24, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -32%

330cl bottle direct from Struise, into a snifter. 2008 vintage. Part of a personal high-end beer tasting.

A - The pour is a clouded, reddish-brown, with no head whatsoever. Looking like another flat beer for me -- this is my third in a row today. *sigh*

S - Balsamic vinegar, tart cherry, and acetic acid. Something tells me that my tummy is not going to be happy later. It's nice enough, though, and is good for a oude bruin.

T - Right away I feel like it's got as much malt vinegar as balsamic. The cherry is not as bright as the nose made me think, but it's fairly strong on the finish. Very little apparent alcohol considering it's 8%. One gripe is that there's maybe a little acetone -- not as much as the Vuja De bottle that I had, but enough that it's there. Without that it'd be slightly above average, but it's going to lose a bit point-wise for it.

M - The lack of carbonation is killing me here. It's not completely flat, but there's VERY little going on, and it absolutely kills the feel in this style. It's crying out for some bubbles.

O - I'm not all that happy about this one. I was really looking forward to it, but I really had to struggle to get through the (small, expensive) bottle. The flavors just aren't good enough to overcome the lack of carbonation.

djmichaelk, Jun 05, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Big thanks to ShogoKawada for just giving me this beer. It's been a long time want.

2008, poured into the equally as wanted and generously free Fantome tulip (thanks again Shogo!)

Appearance
At first I feared that this bottle was flat. As I poured, only loose air bubbles formed, so I adjusted my pour and still didn't achieve a head. Then, slowly and quite delayed, carbonation fizzled up from within the dark plum colored beer. Almost like a nitro pour. It soon fades, leaving the beer looking flat. I do, at least, enjoy the deep color of this beer.

Aroma
Nice notes of booze soaked cherries. It sort of reminds me of a much less potent batch of cherry jungle juice. Some darker notes begin to come out, such as chocolate and lots of oak. The oak is both funky and dank. There is a spike of sharp, but clean alcohol.

Taste
Not incredibly sour, but there is a fair amount of acidity. There is an intensely tannic quality here. Its like someone threw sour cherry skins, sour plum skins, sour grapes and oak all into a blender. It really takes some time to adjust to. Its aggressively tannic. There are flashes of weird metallic and vodka notes, but the flavor profile is pretty enjoyable when those are not being picked up.

Mouthfeel
Extremely low on carbonation, but its by no means flat. The body is quite full, causing the beer to fall lethargically on the palate. Its slick, with only a slightly dry finish.

Overall
Woah, this stuff is weird. I'm not sure that this one is for me. But I would wager that this is closer to a real Oud Bruin than some of the miscategorized brown American wilds. The beer is heavy on the palate, with its full body and low carbonation. It also has some very unusual flavors and aromas.

MbpBugeye, Jun 09, 2011

nathanjohnson, Dec 08, 2011

Recently received in a trade from Oregone, thank you Trevor. Served from the 33 cl bottle at cellar temp into a tulip. Lot A, best by 07/11.

A: This one pours a deep, murky brown, with minimal head, even with an aggressive pour. Hints of red hues can be found along the edge when held up to the light. Thin, spotty, bubbly lacing is left around the glass. This one sits very still.

S: The nose is a bouquet of red wine and balsamic vinegar, wet leather, and oxidized fruits leading into a soy sauce aroma.

T: I'm initially surprised by the chocolate back bone of this brew. Smooth, creamy milk chocolate is followed by soy sauce and finished with a lingering tart cherry sourness. The sourness rounds out the palate and acts to lift the initial chocolate rush quickly off the tongue. The finish had a short-lived vinegar flavor that overpowers the tart cherry offering. I don't really detect any Belgian spiciness, which I think is due to the 8% ABV which really kicks up the sour/vinegar finish.

M: The mouthfeel is creamy and heavy which provides a port like quality.

O: I'm between and betwixt on this one. Nothing really stands out on it. I'm lead to believe that A. this beer is past its prime secondary to the oxidized flavors and aromas, or B. I'm consuming a bad batch. The 8% ABV is evidently noticeable on the finish and lends a warming feeling long after. I would really like to try a fresh batch as I'm lead to an inclination that at some point in the lifespan of this beer is a world class Flanders Oud Bruin. Will certainly seek out again.

phishisphunk, May 15, 2011