Aardmonnik - Earthmonk - De Struise Brouwers

Aardmonnik - EarthmonkAardmonnik - Earthmonk

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  8.00% ABV

Brewed and bottled on the Deca Brewery in Woesten-Vleteren.

Oud Vlaams Bruin - Blend 30% Old & 70% New

EBC:52, IBU:15, OG:1078, FG:1018, ABV:??
Hops: Bramling Cross, Hallertau MF

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-14-2006)
4.08/5  rDev +3.6%

33cl, 2008 Vintage, bottled 2011. From notes.

Pours a thick, dark brown with the sort of thin bubbly head that indicates low carbonation.

The aroma does have some vinegar going on, but it's very deep, oaky, and dark-fruity as well.

The flavor is excellent. At first there's a brown sugar and molasses sweetness that is countered by the lactic tartness. Moderate oak flavor plus plums and dark cherries. Not too sour, and well-balanced. The mouthfeel is thick and smooth, but there's almost no carbonation.

Not perfect, but the complex flavor makes this a keeper for me. It's surprisingly drinkable, too.

1.93/5  rDev -51%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by alfrantzell, courtesy of ShogoKawada. Thanks men.

A: Pours a clear maroon body.

S: Vinegar (strong), brown sugar (mild), cherries, cinnamon.

T: A one-note flavor of vinegar dominates, with mild sweetness bringing up the rear, as truckers say. In the exhalation I get a note of cherries and something spicy, which I think is cinnamon but don't care to find out.

M: Very thin, watery, unsatisfying. Falls off the tongue.

O: I really don't like Struise, and this is another great example why. Unremarkable, boring... bleh.

2.35/5  rDev -40.4%

A vigorous pour into my Dogfish Head Signature glass produced no head or bubbles. The color can best be descibed as "flat Coke". I can appeciate a beer that has no head or carbonation, but the flavor and aroma better be good.

Right off the bat I pick up a strong balsamic vinegar aroma. This is an aroma I really enjoy, so I had high hopes. With a bit more time, I also pick up some dried fruit, some spices, but no sweetness to speak of.

There is a bit of a tartness to this, but once the dominant flavor of metal kicks in, I cannot pick up anything else. I let this one sit for awhile hoping this would go away, but that was not the case. Drink after drink all I could get was some funked up metal taste that seemed to linger for far too long.

Dispite the lack of carbonation, there was a fair amount of body to this beer. I would call it medium body.

Overall, this is not the beer for me. I would have loved a mouth puckering taste that was reminiscent in the aroma, but all I got was metal. It reminded me of when I was a kid and had a mouth full of pennies. Only this time, I didn't get any money after the experience.

Big thanks to AuroraCrisis for this one. Dark brown color, almost looks burgundy. Smell is complex oud bruin, a little sourness, spices. The flavor is very good but not your typical oud bruin, this seems more spicy and nuanced and has a sourness on the finish that really pulls at your cheeks like a lemon does. This is a nice beer but a little bit pricey and not easy to get a hold of.

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%

shared by ejyoung.

A: pours out a brown-orange color with no head.

S: apple cider vinegar with some sweetness. there is a bit of alcohol, with some caramel notes.

T: i get vinegar and apple. it is a little bitter, with some tartness.

M: medium with low to no carbonation.

O: a very good beer, that i would gladly drink again.

3.98/5  rDev +1%

Coca-Cola brown. No head or lacing.

Lots of alcohol. Cherry, abrasive sugar, black licorice, mildew, wet wood.

Hints of sour grape and apple, vinegar, band-aid. The sourness is nice and contrasts well with the flavors. Tastes like it's aged in Vodka barrels.

Wine like mouthfeel. ABV is lower than expected. Vinegar finish.

I like this beer - it is unique and has a depth and complexity most beers lack, should be interesting to age.

4.2/5  rDev +6.6%

2008 Vintage from a 33cl bottle

Pours a deep, murky brown with not really head other than a foamy and short lasted brown "head".

Brown sugar, raisins, balsamic vinegar, pear, cherries. Oddly, I get a hint of coffee. The aroma is complex and a touch vinous. The tartness is mild and adds complexity rather than sourness.

Mildly tart, subtle balsamic vinegar. Fruity. A little sweet. Mild bitterness. Balanced and refreshing. Almost like Duchesse de Bourgogne but without the overt sourness.

Medium-full body with moderate carbonation. A silky, lovely mouthfeel with the tartness being a nicely balanced addition.

Earthmonk is an extremely well crafted Oud Bruin. I normally find the style to be a bit sweet and off-putting but this feels like a balanced Oud Bruin with some of the great tartness of a mild Flanders Red.

4.22/5  rDev +7.1%

11.2oz bottle poured into a stemmed glass. 2008 Vintage. Lot# 10/08/24/02/2011. Best before 27/04/2016.

(A)- Pours a deep dark burnt sienna/mahogany color. Produced some tan froth and bubbles that dissipated quickly. Tiny specs of lace.

(S)- A sharp dry oaky vinegar bite. Bits of prune and some oaky funk. Lots of oak nuances.

(T)- Very complex. Like the smell; a sharp yet dry oaky vinegar bite. Touches of sourness in the prune and bready chocolate notes.

(M)- A very very mellow, almost flat carbonation level, though the acidity of this helps out and in the end, this really doesnt bother me one bit. Mildly funky. This really showcases what aromas and flavors can come out of a barrel; just awesome oak characters.

(D)- This is a great flanders, maybe even a bit unique than most. Very mild in carbonation, but the sour profile and oak really carries this beer through to the end. I look forward to seeing how this ages.

3.6/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a New Belgium globe

dark ruby red, a hint of brown, no head

Wow... smell is certainly unique. Reminds me of a dark red wine mixed with vinegar, smells fairly sweet and earthy. lots of oaky aromas Honestly if someone put this in a vinegar bottle I am not sure I would be able to tell the difference

Tastes similar to the aroma... really a unique beer. Lots of acetic acid vinegar like notes. Not really sour, kind of sweet, a good bit of oak. Again reminds me of red wine. very little carbonation in this one.

Overall an interesting beer. Ultimately though I come up disappointed. For a beer in one of my favorite styles this one is a bit too vinegary and not enough funk or cherry flavor. That said this beer is still enjoyable.

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%

330mL bottle poured into Duvel tulip. Pours a very murky brown with almost no head, other than the bubbles from an aggressive pour -- quickly recedes to a ring with a few islands on the surface.

Smell is very interesting, in a good way. Very complex with sour notes and also a very typical Belgian yeast aroma, not something I'm used to in this style.

Feel negatively impacts the taste, which I think would be better if this were slightly more carbonated. Has a very soft quality to it, and I enjoy the yeast complexity and the tartness, but it's just too flat.

Overall I enjoy what this beer could be, but it needs to be better carbonated.

Edit: just opened another bottle of this, and it is vastly improved compared to my last review. Carbonation is better, and a bit more tartness seems to have developed. Very interesting yeast character as well. Glad to have a few bottles left.

Big thanks goes out to funkydelic for sharing this one during one of our weekly tastings! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured a reddish brown with a very minimal light tan head. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, pure acetic acid, and fruit. The flavor was of sweet malt, balsamic vinegar, fruit, and earth. It had a light feel on the palate with very low carbonation. Overall this was a pretty nice brew. For some odd reason, I know I shouldn't, but I really liked this one. I'm a chemist for a living and work with pure acetic acid sometimes and I just LOVE the smell of it. This brew reminds me of said smell. During the tasting I even joked about pouring this over a salad to make the best salad ever... But anyways, if you do not like vinegar flavors in your brew, avoid this one AT ALL COSTS! If you do, get this on your palate ASAP! This is what I would define as a love or hate beer, I loved it!

2.93/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Big thanks to ShogoKawada for just giving me this beer. It's been a long time want.

2008, poured into the equally as wanted and generously free Fantome tulip (thanks again Shogo!)

Appearance
At first I feared that this bottle was flat. As I poured, only loose air bubbles formed, so I adjusted my pour and still didn't achieve a head. Then, slowly and quite delayed, carbonation fizzled up from within the dark plum colored beer. Almost like a nitro pour. It soon fades, leaving the beer looking flat. I do, at least, enjoy the deep color of this beer.

Aroma
Nice notes of booze soaked cherries. It sort of reminds me of a much less potent batch of cherry jungle juice. Some darker notes begin to come out, such as chocolate and lots of oak. The oak is both funky and dank. There is a spike of sharp, but clean alcohol.

Taste
Not incredibly sour, but there is a fair amount of acidity. There is an intensely tannic quality here. Its like someone threw sour cherry skins, sour plum skins, sour grapes and oak all into a blender. It really takes some time to adjust to. Its aggressively tannic. There are flashes of weird metallic and vodka notes, but the flavor profile is pretty enjoyable when those are not being picked up.

Mouthfeel
Extremely low on carbonation, but its by no means flat. The body is quite full, causing the beer to fall lethargically on the palate. Its slick, with only a slightly dry finish.

Overall
Woah, this stuff is weird. I'm not sure that this one is for me. But I would wager that this is closer to a real Oud Bruin than some of the miscategorized brown American wilds. The beer is heavy on the palate, with its full body and low carbonation. It also has some very unusual flavors and aromas.

3.48/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a little bottle shared by ejyoung into a tulip.

Colored like Dr. pepper, with amber at the edges. It’s very dark and nearly opaque, with the big, watery bubbles that signify flatness.

The nose: white vinegar, like the kind you make Easter eggs with. Also get some molasses, brown sugar, paint fumes and crisp red apple.

Red apple again in the flavor, though this time it’s met by cinnamon and some orange peel. Both sweet and tart notes emerge after the swallow, like a big flavor explosion.

Feels devoid of bubbles, though there is a smooth medium body with nice heft. Just a hint of tongue-numbing alcohol.

Earthmonk is unlike any oud bruin I've ever had before. A very unique flavor that was unfortunately hurt by the lack of bubbles.

4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

330cl bottle direct from Struise into De Struise Glass

2008 Vintage released in 2011

A- Pours a really dark reddish brown that appears black. Strange head, just a less than a finger off white cluster of big bubbles that coat the top of the glass. Splotchy retention with some decent legs on the side of the glass.

S- By far the most interesting and complex Oud Bruin I've smelt. Sweet cherry and balsamic vinegar up front followed by some slight funk and alcohol. Definitely some vanilla and oak notes in there as well.

T- Just like the aroma. On the tip of the tongue and probably the strongest flavor is definitely the Balsamic vinaigrette that is followed by sweet cherry and acidic flavors. Plenty of vanilla and oak come out in the finish.

M- Medium bodied with not to much carbonation and a nice slightly tart finish.

SkÅL!

2.68/5  rDev -32%

330cl bottle direct from Struise, into a snifter. 2008 vintage. Part of a personal high-end beer tasting.

A - The pour is a clouded, reddish-brown, with no head whatsoever. Looking like another flat beer for me -- this is my third in a row today. *sigh*

S - Balsamic vinegar, tart cherry, and acetic acid. Something tells me that my tummy is not going to be happy later. It's nice enough, though, and is good for a oude bruin.

T - Right away I feel like it's got as much malt vinegar as balsamic. The cherry is not as bright as the nose made me think, but it's fairly strong on the finish. Very little apparent alcohol considering it's 8%. One gripe is that there's maybe a little acetone -- not as much as the Vuja De bottle that I had, but enough that it's there. Without that it'd be slightly above average, but it's going to lose a bit point-wise for it.

M - The lack of carbonation is killing me here. It's not completely flat, but there's VERY little going on, and it absolutely kills the feel in this style. It's crying out for some bubbles.

O - I'm not all that happy about this one. I was really looking forward to it, but I really had to struggle to get through the (small, expensive) bottle. The flavors just aren't good enough to overcome the lack of carbonation.

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%

2008 vintage, into tulip. Even the most vigorous pour fails to produce any head (apart from short-lived tan bubbly patch) atop of murky, dark reddish-brown body. Flanders Oud Bruin is supposed to be clear and the complete absence of head is not characteristic to the style hence the low score for the appearance.
The nose is utterly complex with interplay of sour, sweet, fruity and sherry aromas. The sourness takes after balsamic vinegar which is quite intense denoting an aged example, as do the obvious sherry-notes. The malt is quite rich with caramel and slight chocolaty character while fruity esters are reminiscent of raisins, plum and black cherries. Some brown sugar is noticeable as is the mild alcohol in the background. The malts, balsamic vinegar and black cherry produce rich tart-sweet flavor with intensity of a soy sauce. A very faint mushroom-like bitterness indicates that Brettanomyces has been used to add sourness to this one. The beer is said to be oak-aged and that's welcomed as it gives balsamic character to the vinegar, but unexpected because maturation on oak is typical to Flanders Red, not Bruin. Body is medium-full and smooth due to nearly absent carbonation and besides the poor appearance flat mouthfeel is the major flaw of otherwise excellent beer.

4.2/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

33cl bottle into a snifter. This brew appears a very muddy color of dark brown. Holding the glass to the light shows no different result, it appears just clouded dark brownness with lighter muddy brown coloration around the edges where some light penetrates. If there ever was a brew that looked like over-ripe to rotten prunes that were pureed and filtered into a glass, this is it. There briefly was a display of some dark brown bubbles that collected across the top while the brew was being poured, however they very rapidly dissolved. By the time I finished the pour and set the bottle down, the cap is gone and this brew appears still with not even a bubble sitting atop the brew or along the edge of the glass. A violent swirl releases about 4 bubbles that somehow end up sticking to the glass which is the only sign of lacing.

The smell of this brew is complex and quite interesting. It smells woodsy upfront with deep scents of fruited sweetness like cherry through the middle mixed with balsamic vinaigrette. The backend of the nose finishes with a sour twinge to the nose and a light tingle of alcohol. More smells reveal a sweet scent that is a mixture of vanilla mixed with sour cherry pits while other sniffs reveal mostly sharp scents of vinegar. Overall this is quite an interesting and enjoyable aroma. Once the brew comes up to temperature, a smell similar to brown sugar evolves inside the glass.

The taste is sharp with an acidity that immediately makes the mouth start to salivate. Flavors of oak bring forth a sweetness and smoothness somewhat like vanilla mixed with cherry pits. The sweet and fruity flavor of this brew is met with a mild herbal hop bitterness and earthy flavor of something more in line with over ripe cherry pits and balsamic vinaigrette. As the brew warms, I pick up on a sweetness that is more like candy sugar than malt. There is a spiced aspect faintly like orange rinds that mingles with the residual sweetness.

This is a medium to full bodied brew with a very light level of carbonation. The alcohol is very well integrated in this brew. This is a very complex offering that I have a hard time fully wrapping myself around but it is uniquely enjoyable and it really warmed up to me and I started to dig it more as the glass emptied. It is balanced very well with a mix of flavors that seemingly evolve into something different with every sip. The biggest disappointment here is the complete lack of carbonation that would really drive this one home as a standout winning brew. While this isn't the best offering I have had from Struise, it most certainly is among the most complex and interesting. I intend to get some more of this and see what some age does.

4.6/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2008 batch bottle released in 2011. I have been looking to find this one for a while and it is nice to remove a Want from a few years back. Poured into a Bruery Tulip

Pour is a dark cherry brown flanders oud bruin color. Exactly what I was hoping for. This is a lot more unsettled looking and hazy perhaps than I was afraid it might be.

Aroma of sweet ripe cherries, some vinegar, sweet malt and oak barrel. Yeah this is basically what I live for here.

Taste is just damn good. There is a very strong sour presence melding with a mildewy oak flavor. Cherries all over, a light cotton candy presence mixing at the end with plenty of oak edginess. Light vinegar touches and a light berry flavor in the back. The vinegar is more in nose than in flavor. I actually had a slight hiss from popping the top off which I was surprised after hearing others complain that it was flat. I really believe this comes together quite well and will definitely be enjoying more of these.

Body is medium with a very slight carbonation. Being that Flanders Oud Bruin's are typically similar to this, I have to think that this is done right and give more points to De Struisse. I have no idea where the 8% is hidden, but this comes together like a masterpiece and I can really enjoy sipping on it.

4.7/5  rDev +19.3%

330cl bottle poured into Duvel tulip, fresh from the 2011 released batch (brewed in 2008).

Appearance: Aggressively dropped him right down the center of the glass and was left with nothing more than a few bubbles for head. Dark brown body, with light only cracking through along the edges of the glass. This looks sludgy in the glass, closer to what I'd expect from a quad or a stout than a Flanders Bruin.

Smell: Cherries, raisins, vinegar, heavy oak. I can smell the sour before I taste it. Fantastic.

Taste: Intense and full flavored is an understatement. Not just the tartness either, but everything is potent - almost like pouring a marinade onto your cooked meat as if it were a dipping sauce. The predominant taste is similar to what you get when you suck on a fresh cherry. Definitely tart, and definitely vinegar flavor in there as well. Unique is an understatement, and I award this beer major points for that.

Mouthfeel: Very low carb, but there and surprisingly adequate. Thick and heavy.

Drinkability: Low to moderate. Alcohol is perfectly hidden, despite the 8% ABV. The intensity of flavors though make this a sipper, and one bottle in a session is plenty. In fact, you could easily split this small bottle and satisfy two people.

Overall: I heard this beer was one of a kind, and it certainly lived up to that billing. It is not for everybody, as is indicative from the reviews all over the place. But, it is well worth seeking out, as you won't know if you like it until you try it. It's drinking good now (fresh), but the inherent complexity makes me glad I have a few to lay down to see how this tasty beer evolves over time.

2.35/5  rDev -40.4%

2008 into lost abbey tulip. $13/bttl shipped, thanks to the struise webshop!

A- Hard pour leaves a 1/2 cm of big tan bubbles. Slowly settles to a nice outer ring.

S- Lots of oak, balsamic vinegar, cherries.

T- Big dark malt sweetness and hardcore sour cherry tartness. Vinegar is here, just underneath the surface. Intense, strong, lingering flavors. I taste some copper and earthy notess as it warms..

M- Tart enough to where it's like licking a battery with some cherry coughdrops in your mouth. Carbonation is low, but suitable. It's just a tongue-twisting beer.

O- Meh. Will prob. pass along my other bottles. Too much going on- and it doesn't really come together.

4.05/5  rDev +2.8%

11.2oz into Russian River tulip, 2008 batch that was recently released by Struise

Murky brownish red with some good sized bubbles when freshly poured that fade into a collar of film around the edges of the glass with tiny sediment on the top of the beverage. As the beer is drank, the beer's appearance becomes pretty still. Interesting.

Super ripe grapes up front with a candy like quality to it. Almost like grape bubblegum or a grape hard candy, but with a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar behind it. A bit of earthyness behind the initial scents too, similar to soil.

Starts with some sugarless grape bubblegum like flavors that move into an acidic, balsamic vinegar flavor. Raspberries and currants also present a bit with very earthy and rustic flavors like soil or grime, it really holds nothing back. As the beer warms, a bit more acidity comes out in the flavor revealing more of the balsamic qualities.

The mouthfeel is medium with extremely low carbonation. It really works for this style and does not allow any area for the flavor to hide. Awesome.

Overall, a very interesting take on the style. Lots of rustic, true to form flavors in there that I can honestly say I have never experienced in an oud bruin. But it seems to be missing a little bit of approachability due to the earthyness and complex character of the beverage. A must try for any fan of the style, but be forewarned that this beast is not tame.

4.58/5  rDev +16.2%

Thank you very much to a customer for this beer...what a treat!
2008 Vintage

A- Almost stout-like in appearance, no head, fizzy swirl of carb in the middle of a color-devoid structure...

S-Vanilla, cherry, oak, intense, strong, amazing smells....omg....There isn't a single hint of sour beer behind this nose. Simply smooth vanilla and cherry...awesome....can't remember a better nose on a sour....

T- Starts off smooth, nothing much going on *served at 39 degrees F.* THEN spice, phenols, tartness, tanginess, oh man...this is great....

M- Solid brick of a mouthfeel, with a few glimmers of carbonation...nothing exceptionally nasty about the 'brick' that I speak of, but it is DIFFERENT....all together a different beer but for mouthfeel, I'd expect something FLAT to taste like this, but in all it provides the right amount of carbonation! NICE!

O- Best Flemish Red I've ever tried. Period. Duchesse on crack...

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Just arrived at my door yesterday! Threw one in the fridge overnight and am enjoying this greatly now.

Muddy brown beer with very little carbonation. Easily detectable scents of caramel and alcohol apparent on the nose.

The taste is something quite wonderful though. I don't know how it's an A-, but I suspect its from the previous batch or something.. this is probably the finest tasting oude bruin i've had, with oude tart being my previous favorite.

I love this beer, it's a shame I only bought 6. Will have to buy some more when more is released.

4.4/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottles just arrived yesterday (less than a week from when I ordered them!) so I had to try one. 2011 version (labeled 2008)

Pours a dark mahogany with a reddish hue near the edges of the glass. Absolutely no head or much of a sign of carbonation - just a faint ring around the edge that disappears quickly.

Wow, there's a lot going on in the aroma. Tart cherries, balsamic vinegar, wine grapes, and a hint of cocoa/brown sugar. Excellent.

Quite a complex taste. Similar to the aroma as there is plenty of tart cherry and balsamic. There's a strong wine-like oak flavor as well. Nice amount of sourness.

Basically no carbonation with a medium body. Leaves a sour, sticky coating that hangs around.

I've tried several Struise beers now and I believe this is my new favorite. Looking forward to letting some of my bottles age for awhile to see how this evolves.

4.22/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Whan can be said more about this beer than my previous fellow BA's did? This is one hell of a beer. If you are into the sour beer this is the one i have been told, i myself have always trouble with this style.

2008 version, drank it with Michael, an non BA but good beerlover.

Poured in the little Westvleteren chalice the beers does not look specatacular but that's the way it is with this beer. Deepdarkblack to very darkdarkbrown.

This beer has an earthy taste, light sour and also sweetness. Cherrie well hidden but also very in front some times. Let the beer swirl into the glass and you will have a great time!

Aardmonnik - Earthmonk from De Struise Brouwers