Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Aardmonnik - Earthmonk - De Struise Brouwers

Aardmonnik - EarthmonkAardmonnik - Earthmonk

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-14-2006

Brewed and bottled on the Deca Brewery in Woesten-Vleteren.

Oud Vlaams Bruin - Blend 30% Old & 70% New

EBC:52, IBU:15, OG:1078, FG:1018, ABV:??
Hops: Bramling Cross, Hallertau MF
3.82/5  rDev -2.6%

Beer is dark ruby red in colour, with almost no head. Just some bubbles on top.

Smell is fairly strong, contains grape, tart cherry. Quite a juicy scent. Balsamic vingear as well.

Taste is fairly sour, with red grape, raisin, balsamic vinegar and a bit of cherry. Dries the mouth.

Light bodied, low carbonation level.

Overall, pretty good but not a standout for me. Happy to have had it.

3.82/5  rDev -2.6%

Bottle at Beer Bistro, 330ml into a balloon tulip. Best before APril 27, 2016.

Poured burgundy with some light brown brown highlights. Bubbles serve as head, and once they disappear, nothing remains - no head or retention. Legs are pretty decent though. Nose has some black cherry, balsamic vinegar, currant, light vinous notes and a sense of sourness. There is a substantial sweet component to this as well. Taste has dark cherries and berries, light acetic tartness produced by similar balsamic notes and a gentle earthy maltiness. Light pucker in the finish, but again the sweet and sticky components of this beer make themselves well known. No alcohol on the palate and low carbonation, somewhere between still and gentle 'prickliness.' A nice semi-tart yet sweet Flemish Red, glad to have seen and had this.

4.54/5  rDev +15.8%

2008 BB 27/04/2016

Drunk from a Riedel Vinum Burgundy glass.

In the bottle there is a relatively intense brown sugary quality with just a whiff of the ol' sour. In the glass it is headless though there is swirling flat one dimensional lacing dots on the surface which creates delicate swirling patterns. Dark chestnut brown with soe rusty red highlights. Considering it has no head it still looks pretty inviting.

There's a slight vinuous quality here too and more intense brown sugary sweetness along with cherries surrounded by a glowing hue. Some overly ripe apple in there too.

No carbonation but smooth, sleek and caressing in the mouth with some wafer like acidity on the way down. There's an gentle elegence here considering that 8% ABV.
Beautifully molded together to create a complete whole for the poet in all of us.

The nose from few drops left at the bottom of the empty glass just go on and on an on. Gorgeous.

3.49/5  rDev -11%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Tasted blind as part of Blind BIF #6

Blind Beer #9

12 oz poured into my Allagash cervoise

A - Opens with a tiny hiss. Pours dark brown with a few big bubbles. Light ruby highlights 2.5

S - One whiff from the bottle and it smells like rice vinegar and soy. After pouring, there is some extremely sour cherry and chocolate. Touch of smoke and homemade pickled veggies. A few more smells yields to a very distinct balsamic vinegar with maybe some fig. I have no clue what to expect before drinking. 3.5

T - Sweet strawberries and chocolate with a slightly acidic finish. The balsamic is definitely present in the taste. There is some oak on the finish, leaving a bit of dryness that I did not expect. 3.5

M - Virtually no carbonation. Quite full bodied with a ton of unfermented sugar left in this guy. Slightly buttery feel, but then a very dry finish. No alcohol whatsoever. 3.5

O - Fairly drinkable and balanced. Somewhat on the sweet side for me. Solid, but nothing to write home about. I would definitely use this beer to get non-craft friends into sours. 3.5

Almost positive it's a flanders oud bruin. nice vinegar notes, good sweetness, a touch of butterscotch. The balsamic really reminds me of Monk's cafe flemish, but really no clue beyond that.

Final guess: Flanders oud bruin. Since sholland119 has been killing it with this box, I'll even go out and say Struise Earthmonk.

The reveal: Struise 2008 Aardmonnik - Earthmonk (want!)

You keep up with the awesome beers, Scott. I only guessed this because i've wanted it and haven't tasted it yet, and was pretty sure I hadn't tried the blind beer before. Definitely solid and definitely an awesome to mix it up after Le Fleur.

(quick edit: this beer is 8% ABV. Now bumping the mouthfeel up to a 4 from 3.5. no heat whatsoever on this bad boy.)

from 01/08/12 notes. Thanks to bmanning for sharing this one; thanks Ben. 2008 vintage.

a - Pours a dark brown color with one inch of off white head and light to moderate carbonation.

s - Sour of sour dark fruits, vinegar, sweet dark fruits, light spice, yeast, and lactic notes. Not overly sour but it is there. Pretty nice.

t - Tastes of sour fruits, sweet dark fruits, raisins, figs, vinegar, and yeast. Taste again is a little sour and sweet at the same time.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Pretty easy to drink.

o - Overall I thought this was a very good beer. It's not super sour but a very nice mix of sour fruit/vinegar with sweet fruits. Interested to see what my fresh bottle tastes like.

3.82/5  rDev -2.6%

This bottle was a gift from the Brabander. Thanks man for sharing.

A - A deep beautiful red beer a delicately hazy. a beige foam ring whit a very big bubbly structure floats on top.

S - Like red wine with cherries added followed by some acidity Terrific fruit presence without being the least bit sweet.

T - A sweet but not to sweet beer that follows the nose: gigantic cherries, some oak, some vanilla on the acetic finish. Lovely.

M - Sticky medium body which could have been thicker to my opinion, practically no carbonation. The beer coats my palate with a cherries, oak and vanilla.

O - This is not my beer, but I am glad that I have tried it once.It is to sour and fruity to my liking. Don't get my wrong I still find it pretty good.

4.01/5  rDev +2.3%

Received this beer from Gibby out in the land of Eagles and Phillies. I’ve been wanting to try this brew for quite some time and tonight seemed like a great time to pop it. Drank from my Lost Abbey goblet while watching TCU vs. LA Tech (San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl… Serious).

2008 Version

Appearance- Pours a nice deep dark brown with ZERO head – even with a very aggressive glug. Nary a cap or collar remains and obviously no lacing.
Smell- The first thing that jumps out at me is a nice red wine vinegar like sourness. It’s not as potent as vinegar but it has that same quality. Some bready brown malts joining the nose party along with some prune and raison notes. Those dark fruit tones really grow as the beer warms. Slightly spicy as well but I feel like that comes more from the yeast than the actual spices. The more I inhale the more the beer takes on a red wine profile. Some lightly sweet tones as it warms with hints of toffee or brown sugar.
Taste- Like the nose there is a very light tartness from the get go before a malty fruity sweetness moves in. The beer is very earthy with a few light tones of leathery funk. Plenty of dark fruits that mix with the light sourness for a sort of tart cherry flavor. Notes of sherry and even though the beer does have a slight sweetness to it, there is a sort of a woody quench. There is a lingering mix of dark fruits and toffee well into the finish.
Mouthfeel- The carbonation is super low on this beer but the body is hefty enough to sort of make up for it. A bit of warming and a slightly dry quench.
Drinkability- Overall this is pretty decent. I’d like a touch more carbonation but the beer smells awesome and tastes great. Definitely more important than a few extra bubbles. One of the better Flanders Oud Bruin I’ve had (which admittedly isn’t a ton). Thanks much Jeff!

3.22/5  rDev -17.9%

A: pours a deep maroon with seemingly zero carbonation, no head, sparse bubbles, decent clarity

S: nose is a vinegar bomb, heavy lactic undertones followed by tannins, some hints of Merlot in there, red grapes and cherries present as well

T: like the nose, the taste is heavy with vinegar, tartness pairs with a syrupy sweetness, lacking a bit in the balance department, finishes way too sweet

MF: syrupy body, low carbonation

O: this is certainly a new take on a Flanders Red, however, the flavors never quite balance each other out

4.21/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

33cl bottle of the 08 vintage, poured into a Weyerbacher tulip. Big thanks to whoever put this on the table at CdC.

A: Delicately hazy red-brown body; pretty much still. No better than average.

S: Intense, juicy cherry followed by some acidity - both lactic and acetic. Terrific fruit presence without being the least bit sweet. Great.

T: Follows the nose: gigantic cherries, some oak, and plenty of clean tartness. Some vanilla on the acetic finish. Lovely.

M: Sticky medium body, practically no carbonation. Meh.

O: With carbonation, this could have been the best Oud Bruin I've ever had - the cherry flavor was just spectacular. The lack of life made it a bit overly heavy, though. I wish I'd grabbed some of this while I was in Belgium.

1.94/5  rDev -50.5%

330mL bottle poured into taster glass - thanks alex

Pours a slightly opaque reddish color with some almost brown hues. No head or lacing.

Pretty much smells like easter egg dye. Acidic and lactic with a vinegary burn. Some light cherry fruit flavor and oak, I suppose.

Sour and acidic up front. Vinegar and nail polish remover pretty much wreck the profile. There's a few notes of cherry, raisin, and dates, but its tough to get past the vinegar. Lingers on the tongue for an uncomfortable amount of time.

Thin, flat, and tepid on the tongue. Lingering acidic vinegar ruined my palate for at least an hour after this. Apparently there's some variation between vintages, but this one was awful. Avoid.

3.29/5  rDev -16.1%

Anno 2008, the 'sucky' one.

Appearance -- Pours a burgundy-tinged brown with no head to speak of: some soapy bubbles and what looks like an oily film. The fine bubbles slowly trailing up the glass prove that this is, in fact, somewhat carbonated. Good color, and the overall appearance becomes much more appealing when the soapy suds disappear.

Smell -- Has a sturdy vinegar character, perhaps the red wine variety. Roast malt, berries, perhaps some sherry. I've smelled worse vinegarized Flanders beers, but I'm not loving this aroma.

Taste -- The mouth is first greeted by a sudden burst of bright acidity followed by subtle roast malt, cocoa, berry tartness, red wine, and a mild sherry-like oxidation character. Slightly earthy, not so much funky. The sour level is strong for a Bruin, but not in the least bracing; it hits the mark well. Interesting.

Mouthfeel -- As the appearance suggested, it's nearly still. It has a fuller, viscous body to it that somewhat makes up for the lack of spritzy carbonation.

Overall -- Don't let the totals core fool you; I quite enjoyed this one. Not the crisp, mellow sipper that is Goudenband or Bellegems Bruin, but it has great depth of flavor and is very unique. I recommend it.

Additional Note: many of my friends have mentioned that this vintage tates like Cool Whip. I'm almost mad that there's nothing reminding me of fake whipped cream...

3.3/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a fucking glass.

A: okay, first of all WTF is on the front of this bottle? I've heard so many disturbing things about this beer and now there is some sort of wretched starving creature on the bottle. Truly appetizing. As for the beer, it is dark brown in color. There is absolutely no head on an aggressive pour. It appears flat. Between the color and the lack of head, it looks like a glass of whiskey.

S: Smell is of malt and malt vinegar. Then there is a sort of odd mix of light watery coffee, cola, and caramel.

T: Flavor is like a thin, watery malt vinegar. There is a little wood and maybe a very light soy sauce quality, but the malt vinegar is what I'm getting out of it.

M: On the thinner side. Watery with almost no carbonation.

O: As soon as I smelt this beer, the only thing I could think of is mat vinegar and fish and chips. But, then again, I admittedly prefer tartar sauce on my fish and ketchup on my chips. And I can't think of a time when I'd ever drink a glass of malt vinegar. While some people might find this beer drinkable, I didn't. A few ounces was all I could handle.

3.47/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a flared pokal.

Big thanks to the Central PA group of the Gang Bang BIF for this bottle!

I've heard so many interesting things about this beer that I had no problem when it was chosen to be cracked first tonight. It pours a murky ruby-brown with no real head of any kind to speak of. The nose comprises tomato, light tart black cherry, light raspberry vinaigrette, caramel, and teriyaki sauce. I'm actually a little surprised that I like what I'm smelling, given what I just wrote. The taste holds notes of soy sauce (including a pinch of salt), light cocoa, cherry tomatoes, red grapes, and red apple skin. The body is a stolid medium, with a light carbonation and a slick, fluid feel. Overall, an interesting beer, indeed, one I'm not entirely sure if I liked or disliked...

3.62/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this a while back from ygtbsm94. Best before July 2011 - whoops! Served in a Hill Farmstead glass.

A - A hard pour yields a big-bubbled crust that lingers and eventually yields to a thin ring. Very dark brown body.

S - Smells like an aged oud bruin alright - reminds me of the De Dolle '20' a bit, with notes of BBQ sauce, vinegar, caramel malts, light vanilla, and a touch of oak. Pretty nice stuff.

T - Unfortunately the flavor has gone off the rails. Flavor is a bit bland, with some oxidation, and a slight mineral quality. Not much overt sourness, and mild sugary malt sweetness. Some dry oak, and a slightly meaty note implied by the BBQ sauce-esque combination of flavors.

M - Minimal carbonation, medium body, dry finish, and more acidity than I expected from the flavor. Thankfully, it never reaches stomach-melting levels. Could use more bubbles.

D - This didn't seem to age well - perhaps I should have gotten to it a bit sooner. I'll have to revisit the new batch, although I didn't care for it either if I recall correctly. The most enjoyable time I had this beer was when I had it straight for the barrels.

4.09/5  rDev +4.3%

11.2oz. bottle procured from the Struise webshop. Vintage 2008 (EM No. 7) served at 52 degrees in a tulip. Pours the color and clarity of cola with a bubbly, loose, tan-colored froth around the shoulders which continues to dissipate into an oily skim and a thin, tight bubbly band. I love the nose on this beer - vinous, oaky, vanilla notes, dark fruits (plum, figs, prunes) and a suggestion of grape bubblegum. Taste is a bit more muddled. Vinous quality still presents itself, as well as some citric acid; however, there's also a bit of chocolate as well as more grape notes, a slight earthiness and prunes. Tannins are present, but the acidity pretty much buries the vanilla and oak expressed in the nose. Mouthfeel is light-medium in consistency with a mild carbonation which is almost still. Acidity lightly stimulates the sides of the cheeks and lingers along the glands at the back of the throat between quaffs. Overall - I really enjoyed this complexity of this beer and plan on cellaring a couple bottles to see how it changes over time. A slightly tart and vinegary FOB without being overly sour. I wish there were more efforts at this style readily available.

4.67/5  rDev +19.1%

A noses beer fermented in barrels with swirls of red wine vinegar elegant. But also the cellars, sawdust, wood stuffy (like dust which can invade the old books from a library).

On the palate, the flavor is complex. It was more like a good old drink a red gueuze of Flanders. One benchmark for the tasting of delicious flavors. Among other red fruit (blackcurrant in particular), the good old Burgundy and tannic acidity that continues in force after-taste.

And always with this mixture of styles between Brussels Champagne and Flemish Burgundy that makes the complex beer, tasty and also easy to drink.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured from a bottle into a Chimay goblet. Thanks to finewinemike for breaking this bottle out at our tasting.

Appearance: Pours dark brown with a reddish hue and hardly any head.

Smell: Balsamic vinegar dominates. Sweet dark fruit and extremely sour.

Taste: Follows from the smell. Lots of balsamic vinegar. Sweet and a bit fruity, bitter in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a slick finish.

Overall: So sour and vinegary. Very interesting and I'm so glad I got to try it. I don't know that I would have another.

4.56/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

330ml bottle 8,0% Abv.
Served chilled in
2008 edition best before 27/04/2016

I'm not sure what to expect here, I love the style but the latest batch of Aardmonnik seems to have taken some stick. I just hope carbonation is not an issue.

Appearance: Well carbonation is not going to be an issue - there is a loud hiss as the cap is lifted.
Aardmonnik pours a very dark brown and reveals a beautiful (almost clear) deep burgundy when back light. A large light brown head (no CO2 issues here!) forms from a fairly vigorous pour, unfortunately it fizzes away pretty quickly and leaves no lace.

Smell: Hmmmm, if other bottles from the 2008 batch were anything like this I think there has been some unfair bashing of this beer!
Superb nose, powerful and stunningly complex. I'm not sure where to start!
Balsamic vinegar, lightly tart fruit (plums, fresh cherries and not quite ripe red apples), red grapes (very vinous) and tons of barrel character are easily noted. Warming brings earthy vanilla (and a general earthiness), an array of spices, a touch of cola and some sweet brown sugar hiding in the background.

Taste: As with the nose, the flavour is amazingly complex. Balsamic vinegar, cherries, green apples, plums, red wine, oak and an unexpected roasted coffee note are all easily identified. The finish is quite a bit tarter and drier than I expected, but I love tartness so I'm not complaining.
There is no trace of the 8% abv.

Mouthfeel: Medium/full body with moderate (but perfectly adequate) carbonation. In my view it's pretty much bang on for the style.

Overall: Super oud bruin. Much better than the Goudenband I had a while ago. I'm pretty confused by all the bitching about this beer. Each to his own I guess.
I would however highly recommend this beer to anyone who is a fan of the style and I will be trying to get more.

1.71/5  rDev -56.4%

Thanks for this excellent extra Sean. You hooked it up sir. Split into two chalices. Pours a muddy cola brown with a bubbly little head that settles to nothing. This simply looks like cola.

Very aggressive malt vinnegar aroma. Plain and simple. The tast is sweet apple cider vinnegar with dirt. Somehow that is better than the aroma.

The carbonation is low here. Bordering on flat and the body is some what light. Overall, simply terrible. De Struise should be ashamed.

1.47/5  rDev -62.5%

Small bottle shared by Bendurgin. Thanks! Poured into a chalice. The color is dark brown kind of prune juice colored. There is a little bit of white lacing.

The aroma is very strong with apple cider vinegar. This doesn't smell like beer, it smells like acid.

The taste is mildly sweet with some cherry fruit flavor, surprisingly. There is a slightly tart aftertaste. There is just a harsh acidity all the way through.

This is light and the carbonation is smooth. Still not a good part of this beer.

Truly terrible.

824th Review on BA
Bottle to Tulip
Best by: 27/4/16

Thanks to GuruDel for sharing.

App- When poured this had a few bubbles. Mostly around the edges. A very interesting mix of red/purple and some brown. Much more Bordeaux in color than anything else.

Smell- I don't think I was ever shocked by a beers smell until now. The immediate aroma of balsamic vinegar was so prevalent I wanted some bread and just dip in the there. As it sits in your hand and warms a bit, much more grape, skins and wine like tannins develop. Pretty singular in the smell. Mostly just the grapes.

Taste- To say this is a interesting beer is an understatement. This beer is polarizing. I think you either love it or hate it. For what it is in the style its a bit towards the outlying realm of flavor. Acidic and bubbly and a bit sweet. I myself liked it. It was not hard to finish with a bit of the acidic notes and lactic taking center stage with a bit of oaky and at times slight cherry. Not overly sour I would say but mostly tart.

Mouth- Lighter-medium bodied with a medium-flat carbonation level. A bit bubbly and acidic notes remain with a touch of the above mentioned oak and cherry.

Drink- This was a very good beer. Again, this is polarizing and it was quite different from the Oude Tart or Marron Acidife I have had for this style.

4.29/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: Aardmonik has a cherry maple brown color with almost no head.

Smell: Balsamic Vinegar, cherry, and other assorted sour notes. Some toasted grains and soft caramel comes into the nose a bit as well.

Taste: Although the cherry flavor at the beginning has some sweetness to it, a tart, acidic balsamic vinegar flavor imposes and eventually dominates its will on the sweetness. The flavor never becomes overly tart, however.

Mouthfeel: This is smooth and lightly carbonated in a medium body. Despite being almost flat, the carbonation feels proper.

Overall: This was different, smooth, and enjoyable.

2.26/5  rDev -42.3%

Bottle courtesy of Sweemzander in honor of my wedding. Split into tulips with like minded beer geeks.

A: Dark blood red/brown. No head or lace. Looks like a glass of prune juice actually.

S: Booze infused soy sauce and balsamic vinegar. There is a tartness to the aroma but it doesn't do much while being overpowered by the salad dressing aspect.

T: The comparison to a salad topping doesn't stop at the nose. Modest amount of sour cherry with a heavy dose of soy sauce and vinegar. A bit of chocolate and coffee comes through as it warms.

M: Flat and thin body.

O: This one was a huge let down for me. I was expecting something more from this brewer. Glad I never plunked down the coin to have some shipped to me.

3.47/5  rDev -11.5%

33cl bottle from the Struise Webshop. Into a Delirium Tremens snifter. 2008 Vintage.

A: Pours incredibly dark brown with no head, not even anything that resembles a head, just a few bubbles. A ring of light colored, incredibly small bubbles lines the edge of the glass. Not particularly impressive.

S: Interesting mix of vinegar and malts, some acetic acid notes that borders on straight up acetone nail polish remover. A floral/candy like aroma starts to come out as well. Just a hint of funk starts to surface here as well. Interesting.

T: Tons of flavor and a little bit all over the place. Slight vinegar sourness, some acetic acid, but also a fair amount of roasted barley/coffee notes which is a bit odd, but works. Acetone notes follow over from the nose quite a bit. Roasted barley really stays on the tongue long after the swallow. Some cherry notes in here as well. Really a complex beer that never really verges on sour but definitely hits the tart notes. Enjoyable though.

M: Medium body, practically no carbonation which hurts this a bit. Finish is dry, but the mouthfeel is odd because of the lack of carbonation.

O: Quite an interesting beer, but some carbonation would help and just a touch more sour would really bring this one into line. It is fairly enjoyable, but just seems a bit lacking. Will revisit again.

4.69/5  rDev +19.6%

A: Vigorous pour into a Rochefort goblet produces slight head which disappears quickly to just a slight ring around the glass.

S: Slight vinegar with hints of citrus, brown sugar, molasses, little cocoa, Truly amazing.

T: I get grapefruit followed by a little pepper. So tasty.

M: Not much in the way of a full mouthfeel, but who cares, this is delicious.

O: Oh boy, I could drink this all night. Doesn't feel like 8 ABV. I could drink this for breakfast instead of grapefruit juice.
Thanks to the boys of Oostvleteren!

Aardmonnik - Earthmonk from De Struise Brouwers